We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

Question Regarding Resolution

I have a mid 2010 27" iMac with the maxed out graphics card, and while it is more than capable of handling this game at ultra high settings, it does so less than adequately at 2560x1440, which is the native resolution of my display.

When playing fullscreen, it appears that the Mac client immediately does a "fake full-screen" mode where it puts a frameless, full-sized window over your current resolution.

For me to play the game at 1920x1080, I need to

1: Go into System Preferences
    2: Change my Display Resolution there to 1080p
    3: Launch the game

And then when I am done playing, I need to do the same process in reverse.

Valve, Blizzard, EA and many other companies don't have a problem giving full screen resolution options inside their client... any chance we can get the same here?

It's not a game breaker, but it is horribly inconvenient.

Resolution vs. quality

I prefer to run my Mac Mini @ 2560 x 1440, even though at that resolution I need to tone down the graphics quality. I can see more, which I consider to be strategically valuable, vs. the cosmetic benefits of higher quality graphic settings. Although some of the draw distances are also strategic, thus I favor them over fancy effects, super-detailed surfaces, etc.

Different strokes for different folks, but I'll take all the pixels that I can get. I like to see as far and wide as I can.

And that's fine, but it doesn't change the fact that there should be a resolution option in the game when in full screen mode. It feels weird having to set resolution for the game at the OS level; I haven't had to do that since the windows 3.11 days and Sierra games.

I see this too and it does need to be changed, it's equally annoying on any retina system, where it will fix to the 'looks like' resolution, meaning I have to change it upwards everytime I want to run it at a sensible resolution.

this stinks...

this stinks.. its making it very hard to play on my rMBP because at 2880x1800 fullscreen, everything is so tiny on the UI its unplayable for me...

Quote Originally Posted by Demaith View Post
    I see this too and it does need to be changed, it's equally annoying on any retina system, where it will fix to the 'looks like' resolution, meaning I have to change it upwards everytime I want to run it at a sensible resolution.
    With the Mac client in RoR closed beta, Turbine "specifically did not support the higher resolutions on the Retina Displays because of font sizing issues (i.e. at high res "normal" fonts need to be increased in size to be readable.)"
    source: http://www.codeweavers.com/compatibi...m=1;msg=130267

Unfortunately all the closed beta forums were closed so hard to confirm details. Not sure if this has changed at all but suspect not until we have some official details from them.

Mac Mini and Lotro?

Quote Originally Posted by PhillyDave View Post
    I prefer to run my Mac Mini @ 2560 x 1440, even though at that resolution I need to tone down the graphics quality.
    Mini = interesting. Thinking of getting one of the new Mac Minis but worrying its integrated graphics wont handle RoR / Lotro. Have you got one with a dedicated card?

I'm going to assume they'll fix this... is there any way to contact the Devs to ask about it? i simply ask because i know how to fix it, as I've done the same thing before in other games on OS X. Apple has in the APIs a easy way to capture the display for sole use of the app, allowing you to easily change resolutions in fullscreen without affecting any other apps. its extremely easy to program in and I'm not sure why they didn't take the extra 30 minutes to do so when they were working on fullscreen anyways... Pretty much every Mac fullscreen game will do this.