We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.
Results 1 to 20 of 20
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    2

    serious, heavy ME role-play servers

    I am interested in serious, heavy ME role-play. What server offers the best alternative? Which servers are viable options? I am looking for an immersion experience when I RP. So far, I have only found erotic RP or casual non-lore based RP elsewhere in LOTRO. Is anything else being offerred?

    I am looking to depulicate the Middle-earth RP I had in table-top games from years ago.

    Thanks for any advice and helpful suggestions.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    5,775
    Quote Originally Posted by Lindisse View Post
    I am interested in serious, heavy ME role-play. What server offers the best alternative? Which servers are viable options? I am looking for an immersion experience when I RP. So far, I have only found erotic RP or casual non-lore based RP elsewhere in LOTRO. Is anything else being offerred?

    I am looking to depulicate the Middle-earth RP I had in table-top games from years ago.
    The problem is it takes a lot of creativity to RP IC all the time, and RPing during quests makes them take forever. For those reasons, most people aren't up to the creative rigors of true heavy RP. "Second-life in a Middle-earth skin" is most people's speed.

    For servers, I imagine the official RP-tagged servers are your best bet. Unfortunately, Laurelin seems to be plagued mostly by what you refer to as "casual non-lore based RP." And Landroval RP seems to be mostly Pony RP (but of course Landroval is not official RP). Can't say about the non-English RP servers.

    Because of the difficulty finding heavy RPers, I gave up looking long ago.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Heywood, Lancs
    Posts
    1,477
    Laurelin and Landroval are the main english speaking RP servers

    Laurelin is stricter with its RP rules hence the RP tag (Roleplay Preferred)
    As against Landroval's RE tag (Roleplay Encouraged)

    There are French and German RP servers, but off-hand can't remember their names.
    They are also Roleplay Preferred

    Laurelinian's take their server VERY SERIOUSLY
    HAF-X | ROG Crosshair V Formula Z | AMD FX 9370 4.4Ghz Black | 32Gb RAM | R9 290 4Gb (x2) | LG BD-RE | 500GB Samsung 850 EVO 550/540 SSD | Win10 Pro | WEI - 8.5

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Bosnia & Herzegovina
    Posts
    81
    I suggest Laurelin as well... In fact, I'm running a roleplaying kinship on that server, so feel free to contact me in the game through mail.

  5. #5
    There's a fairly healthy RP community on Crickhollow, too. We're definitely a sub-group, but we're fairly active and devoted to getting the lore right. If you'd like to send me a message, I can point you in the right direction for an RP kin, depending on your race.

    The Éored of the West-Mark ~ Lore-accurate Rohirric Kinship on Landroval

  6. #6
    I will admit that random RP on Landroval has declined (in my opinion), which means that if you go there your best bet is to dig for a good kinship like Elentiri (or an alliance of kinships like Host of the Silver Star).
    Did you really think this signature would be worth reading?

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Sunny SoCal, USA
    Posts
    6,401
    The two main English speaking RP servers are Landroval and Laurelin. Crickhollow, Elendilmir, and others have pockets of it (and because they are so close-knit, may indeed be better options than the two big ones, as they are not doing tavern RP).

    Both servers have their share of questionable or outright lore-breaking RP. Both servers have folks that know nothing about the lore and folks that can run off historical dates or obscure facts just like that.

    The key to finding the RP you're searching for is finding a good *kinship*, IMO. I disagree completely with Dol Amroth's point of view because I have an excellent kinship and an excellent group of friends who keep RP fresh, fun, creative, and within the lore for me. It's all about networking.

    For kinships, check these two links:
    Landroval: http://forums.lotro.com/showthread.p...-Play-Kinships
    Laurelin: http://forums.lotro.com/showthread.p...n-Laurelin-v.3 (I am not sure if this is RP kinships only... I know many non-RPers roll on RP servers for the atmosphere).

    Best of luck.

    RIP ELENDILMIR • Jingle Jangle
    Landroval
    : LAERLIN (Bio + Drawings) • LAERWEN • OLORIEL • AETHELIND (Bio + Drawing) • NETHAEL

  8. #8
    Quote Originally Posted by Laire View Post
    The key to finding the RP you're searching for is finding a good *kinship*, IMO.
    That's what I said.
    Did you really think this signature would be worth reading?

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    511
    Quote Originally Posted by Lindisse View Post
    I am interested in serious, heavy ME role-play. What server offers the best alternative? Which servers are viable options? I am looking for an immersion experience when I RP. So far, I have only found erotic RP or casual non-lore based RP elsewhere in LOTRO. Is anything else being offerred?

    I am looking to depulicate the Middle-earth RP I had in table-top games from years ago.

    Thanks for any advice and helpful suggestions.

    Greetings

    Folks who seek a more immersive and true to the books experience, in my honest opinion should at least try Laurelin -[RP]. - It is the only Official English-speaking Roleplay Server of LotRO and benefits from Turbine's Official Rping rules and policy (which leads to quite a few nice results as you can see by reading that thread)

    The server has many lore-based events that are inspired by the books:

    Hobbits at the Michel Delving Market looking for goods to buy and/or trade, more of them in the Green Dragon inn, having a good time, dancing, merrymaking, eating/drinking telling stories & riddles and last but not least, having great fun with fireworks!

    Dwarves under the mountains in Thorin's Hall, with their Ales, Tales & Riddles and expeditions to distand lands

    Elves, gather in the Hall of Fire in Imladris for merryment; song, praise and to reflect upon their thoughts.
    Bathe in the beauty of Nature, taking rest from Her and returning the favour with songs and blessings. Appreciating the Wilderness
    Others of their kind often travel under the starlight, passing through the woods, singing as they walk on the way to the havens, accompanying those leaving Middle-earth and sailing to the West. The passing/fading of the Firstborn

    Men can be seen at Bree-town everyday. - Far to the South, in the land of the Horse-Lords, men and women of Rohan in the fields and villages. And in the meadhalls where the Eorlingas gather in the presence of their marshal/lord to drink, boast, tell stories and others around feasted, drank and sung

    All that just goes to show about the RP community of Laurelin and how Middle-earth from the books comes in a way, true in that server (to an extent of course)

    So to put it simply, yes there is a server that offers Middle-earth RP. Rejoice!

    Have a look at Laurelin forums and Archives to see and learn more

    If/when you join Laurelin, feel free to drop me a tell and say a 'hello' or/and post a thread on the server forum if you like and introduce yourself or character!


    Cheers!
    [CENTER][URL="http://laurelinarchives.org/node/12497"]A place in-game for all fans [SIZE=1](and roleplayers)[/SIZE] of Tolkien's world. Enter friends and experience Middle-earth.[/URL][/CENTER]

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    5,775
    Quote Originally Posted by ''Cris''' View Post
    Greetings

    Folks whoseek a more immersive and true to the books experience, in my honest opinion should at least try Laurelin -[RP].
    I agree. I also note, however, that finding heavy, in-character, lore-friendly RP is quite challenging, even on Laurelin. Because even there, most RP is Pony and player-made-up, lore-breaking (or at least non-lore-friendly) stuff.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    511
    Quote Originally Posted by maxjenius View Post
    I agree. I also note, however, that finding heavy, in-character, lore-friendly RP is quite challenging, even on Laurelin. Because even there, most RP is Pony and player-made-up, lore-breaking (or at least non-lore-friendly) stuff.
    My (and others) experience differs greatly from yours then. I have had the pleasure to meet so many lore-knowledgeable people since I first joined the server and I continue to do so. And there (on Laurelin) its the first time where I have seen so many rpers taking lore into consideration and welcome others input and thoughts about it

    Your second line, if I may say, it is an overstatement. Taking Bree as an example, is not good enough at all to criticize about the RP state of the server. There is roleplay elsewhere too, maybe to a lesser extent but still it is existent and many RP Kins (lore-friendly/based/inspired) that add to the immersion of the server
    Also as you can see and likely know, Laurelin is full of Middle-earth based RP Events and their numbers are good

    Furthermore, I have noticed, by reading some of the posts now and in the past, that ''sounding'' bitter not only about this server but Roleplay in LotRO in general and having such a negative stance, will not help the RP community and cetainly not the new folks coming to the game seeking for roleplay

    Do not take me wrong, the server is not perfect (what is) however, I believe (and I have played on other realms too, included the RE server) it is the finest/friendliest, most immersive and Middle-earth inspired server LotRO has to offer
    [CENTER][URL="http://laurelinarchives.org/node/12497"]A place in-game for all fans [SIZE=1](and roleplayers)[/SIZE] of Tolkien's world. Enter friends and experience Middle-earth.[/URL][/CENTER]

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    5,775
    Quote Originally Posted by ''Cris''' View Post
    My (and others) experience differs greatly from yours then. I have had the pleasure to meet so many lore-knowledgeable people since I first joined the server and I continue to do so.
    "Lore-knowledgeable player" != "good RPer."

    And there (on Laurelin) its the first time where I have seen so many rpers taking lore into consideration and welcome others input and thoughts about it
    I didn't say it never happens, I said it was a challenge.

    Laurelin is full of Middle-earth based RP Events and their numbers are good
    RP events are not indicative of RP-inspired role-playing. And the game is set in Middle-earth. Everything in it is "Middle-earth-based."

    Furthermore, I have noticed, by reading some of the posts now and in the past, that ''sounding'' bitter not only about this server but Roleplay in LotRO in general and having such a negative stance, will not help the RP community and cetainly not the new folks coming to the game seeking for roleplay
    No bitterness, realism. I gave up on heavy, IC-all-the-time RP because very few people want to do that. It takes the kind of creative energy most people will not or cannot muster (and I don't mean their execution has to be flawless, I mean they simply have to be interested in doing it). And it takes a lot of time to RP the quests, and, understandably, most people do not want to do that. They want to use the quests just to level their characters. How many people are "IC in the Pony, OOC during quests?" I have seen more than one person who tags his character RP in the Pony and non-RP in the 21st Hall, for example. If that's how they want to play the game, that's fine since it's their game. I don't go up to them and tell them "You sure are a lousy RPer for being IC in the Pony and OOC here."

    Do not take me wrong, the server is not perfect (what is) however, I believe (and I have played on other realms too, included the RE server) it is the finest/friendliest, most immersive and Middle-earth inspired server LotRO has to offer
    Well that at least we can agree on. Laurelin is indeed the best choice for English-speaking RPers. Not perfect, but the best of sadly lacking set of choices.

    Bottom line is I rarely bother to RP anymore. In 3 years, I have encountered maybe a 1/2-dozen people who were willing to try quest RP.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    511
    Quote Originally Posted by maxjenius View Post
    "Lore-knowledgeable player" != "good RPer."
    Actually in this setting if you (general 'you') know about the lore, then learning about the RP (for those that dont know how to start) is the easy part or at least the less harder stage imo. It just takes some time.
    One who has read the books it is more likely I believe to pick up the style of roplaying in Middle-earth easier than someone who lacks that knowledge.


    Quote Originally Posted by maxjenius View Post
    I didn't say it never happens, I said it was a challenge.
    It might was a challenge for you (for what reason, I do not know) but based on my experience and the folk I meet and talk to everyday (the days/times I log on, anyways) its not a challenge at all.


    Quote Originally Posted by maxjenius View Post
    RP events are not indicative of RP-inspired role-playing. And the game is set in Middle-earth. Everything in it is "Middle-earth-based."
    RP events (and Kins too) on a server, reflect in a way about the mood/kind of Roleplay most people on the server are interested for and about what in general the RP community (or at least a good big part of it from what I have seen) likes to experience. - And by 'Middle-earth based' I meant events that fit or are at least plausible, into this universe.

    Quote Originally Posted by maxjenius View Post
    No bitterness, realism. I gave up on heavy, IC-all-the-time RP because very few people want to do that. It takes the kind of creative energy most people will not or cannot muster (and I don't mean their execution has to be flawless, I mean they simply have to be interested in doing it). And it takes a lot of time to RP the quests, and, understandably, most people do not want to do that. They want to use the quests just to level their characters. How many people are "IC in the Pony, OOC during quests?" I have seen more than one person who tags his character RP in the Pony and non-RP in the 21st Hall, for example. If that's how they want to play the game, that's fine since it's their game. I don't go up to them and tell them "You sure are a lousy RPer for being IC in the Pony and OOC here."
    So this is why you have lost faith in RP it seems. No wonder one would give up on it then; maybe thinking about why people dont roleplay that way, might bring you some hope and more understanding..

    People cant be IC all the time and everywhere in the world, not only because very few have such desire and the enormous amount of time it takes but also because in many/most occasions, from a lore and sometimes story/timeline point of view it doesnt make sense.

    Not everyone can be Aragorn who has travelled most of Middle-earth, from the Shire to the distant lands of Harad 'where the stars are strange' and the areas in between. He was/is one of a kind, at least during this Age of the World
    Not all Hobbits can be Frodo or Bilbo, adventuring in far places and dark and perilous lands, such as Moria, Mordor, Mirkwood etc.
    Not all Bree-landers are of the adventurous sort and travel afar for dangerous tasks.

    One cannot be IC all-the-time, imo, due to the reasons mentioned above and also one that I havent mentioned yet: the nature of some quests; a lot of the quests dont make sense for more than one or a company of characters to have experienced it. Take for example some of the epic storyline quests..

    Quote Originally Posted by maxjenius View Post
    Well that at least we can agree on. Laurelin is indeed the best choice for English-speaking RPers. Not perfect, but the best of sadly lacking set of choices.
    I dont see any lack of RP choices on Laurelin. There is something for almost everyone. (Dale, Northern Mirkwood, Lake town would fill up a lot of the gaps though I believe when those areas come in game, for there are some who rp characters from those lands and would have great interest for these places and new related events and kins would start) Various events and kinships for all races and many storylines.

    One can easily see that from the Laurelin forums here and Laurelin Archives. And again if all servers where to be compared based on the amount and type of Medium-Heavy 'Middle-earth RP', Laurelin would be the finest choice imo and people can see that even before joining by simply looking at the great difference between the Laurelin server forum and all the others.

    Quote Originally Posted by maxjenius View Post
    Bottom line is I rarely bother to RP anymore. In 3 years, I have encountered maybe a 1/2-dozen people who were willing to try quest RP.
    What I typed above.
    [CENTER][URL="http://laurelinarchives.org/node/12497"]A place in-game for all fans [SIZE=1](and roleplayers)[/SIZE] of Tolkien's world. Enter friends and experience Middle-earth.[/URL][/CENTER]

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    5,775
    Quote Originally Posted by ''Cris''' View Post
    Actually in this setting if you (general 'you') know about the lore, then learning about the RP (for those that dont know how to start) is the easy part or at least the less harder stage imo. It just takes some time.
    One who has read the books it is more likely I believe to pick up the style of roplaying in Middle-earth easier than someone who lacks that knowledge.
    Good role-playing is independent of the genre and the world-setting. A good RPer will be a good RPer in Middle-earth or the Star Wars universe.

    It might was a challenge for you (for what reason, I do not know) but based on my experience and the folk I meet and talk to everyday (the days/times I log on, anyways) its not a challenge at all.
    I didn't say it was a challenge for me.

    RP events (and Kins too) on a server, reflect in a way about the mood/kind of Roleplay most people on the server are interested for and about what in general the RP community (or at least a good big part of it from what I have seen) likes to experience. - And by 'Middle-earth based' I meant events that fit or are at least plausible, into this universe.
    Playing LotRO like it's Second Life (which many people do) is not good RP. They're not RPing their character, they're pretending they themselves are running around in Middle-earth. They're welcome to play that way if they wish. Good RP means RPing your character in the game as the game presents you with situations.

    So this is why you have lost faith in RP it seems. No wonder one would give up on it then; maybe thinking about why people dont roleplay that way, might bring you some hope and more understanding.
    I know why people don't RP that way. I explained it: it's too difficult from a creative standpoint and too time consuming.

    People cant be IC all the time and everywhere in the world, not only because very few have such desire and the enormous amount of time it takes but also because in many/most occasions, from a lore and sometimes story/timeline point of view it doesnt make sense.
    A good RPer can RP any situation. It's too hard for most and too time consuming, to reiterate that point yet again.

    Not everyone can be Aragorn who has travelled most of Middle-earth, from the Shire to the distant lands of Harad 'where the stars are strange' and the areas in between. He was/is one of a kind, at least during this Age of the World. Not all Hobbits can be Frodo or Bilbo, adventuring in far places and dark and perilous lands, such as Moria, Mordor, Mirkwood etc. Not all Bree-landers are of the adventurous sort and travel afar for dangerous tasks.
    If your character has been to Mirkwood then it's been to Mirkwood. If you choose to play otherwise because you can't come with a plausibly decent (not perfect, just plausible, given the constraints of the game) RP rationale for why, then that's just the way you choose to play. Your character does not have to be on the order of Aragorn to go to Mirkwood. The game even sets up the reasons for travel. You would appear to be operating under the misapprehension that your (or my) RP needs an explanation for why dozens of Breelanders go to Mirkwood. You don't have to do that. All you need is an explanation for why your character (and any other characters you choose to include in your RP universe) went to Mirkwood.

    One cannot be IC all-the-time, imo, due to the reasons mentioned above and also one that I havent mentioned yet: the nature of some quests; a lot of the quests dont make sense for more than one or a company of characters to have experienced it. Take for example some of the epic storyline quests.
    One can play IC all the time, given the creative energy and time. Time constraints cannot be got 'round, certainly. But just because you find something too great a creative challenge does not mean everyone does.

    One can easily see that from the Laurelin forums here and Laurelin Archives. And again if all servers where to be compared based on the amount and type of Medium-Heavy 'Middle-earth RP', Laurelin would be the finest choice imo and people can see that even before joining by simply looking at the great difference between the Laurelin server forum and all the others.
    We can at least agree that for RP, Laureling is the best choice for English-language-based servers.

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    609
    Without getting into a debate with Cris and Max above i have to say that i believe Laurelin is the best of the servers for roleplay. Yes its good and bad at times depending on who you encounter on the server as there are all types of players there.

    Bree is the obvious starting point i guess there is plenty going on there, and yes at times its also the place to find some of the worst roleplay. But that does not mean all RP is bad in Bree.

    You may find its not sometimes lore considerate but the people there are having fun which is to be respected.

    From that starting place you can begin to branch out as you encounter more and more roleplayers.

    You just have to give the server a go and take it from there.
    Khalis - A Captain of Imladris and Maethor of House Vanimar


  16. #16
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Cornwall, UK
    Posts
    1,383
    I almost never agree with Maxjenius, but I think in this case I have to say that I do. There are some points where I differ from what he is saying, but he is pretty much on the button here.

    Quote Originally Posted by maxjenius View Post
    Good role-playing is independent of the genre and the world-setting. A good RPer will be a good RPer in Middle-earth or the Star Wars universe.
    I agree wholeheartedly.

    Quote Originally Posted by maxjenius View Post
    Playing LotRO like it's Second Life (which many people do) is not good RP. They're not RPing their character, they're pretending they themselves are running around in Middle-earth. They're welcome to play that way if they wish. Good RP means RPing your character in the game as the game presents you with situations.
    I agree in part, but also if they 'act' the character then they will not be good roleplayers either as it will not be real roleplay. Acting is involved when faced with a decision where the character would perhaps do something that you personally wouldn't, but that shouldn't be a problem if you are really living the character. Roleplaying should be as natural as wearing comfortable slippers. You should be able to slip into character naturally, become the character and feel right at home, you shouldn't really have to act it out. If you don't then that is not a character you should be roleplaying. (Maybe I am schizzo, but I feel just as at home as my naive little Hobbit as I do as my Warg who thinks Hobbits taste yummy!)


    Quote Originally Posted by maxjenius View Post
    I know why people don't RP that way. I explained it: it's too difficult from a creative standpoint and too time consuming. A good RPer can RP any situation. It's too hard for most and too time consuming, to reiterate that point yet again.
    True, but some of us do. Playing permadeath, refusing to ride (even fast travel or stable rented ponies), or whatever else is part of our characterisation. It can be a royal pain sometimes, but it is part and parcel of being a roleplayer. Just like doing the dishes is part of cooking. You enjoyed eating the food, so amn-up and do the not so fun parts that come with it.

    Quote Originally Posted by maxjenius View Post
    One can play IC all the time, given the creative energy and time. Time constraints cannot be got 'round, certainly. But just because you find something too great a creative challenge does not mean everyone does.
    Agreed and I have never found it to burdensome in all my years of roleplaying.

  17. #17
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    5,775
    Quote Originally Posted by Khalis_Laurelin View Post
    Without getting into a debate with Cris and Max above i have to say that i believe Laurelin is the best of the servers for roleplay.
    One thing we can all agree on.

  18. #18
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    500
    Laurelin for serious lore-based RP.

    Landroval for (IMHO) the best social RP experience including 75% of the music and events in all of Lotro.

    Crickhollow if your reality of choice is Hobbit-centric.

    I mainly like to play on Landroval but I have characters with instruments at ready on all of the above so I can enjoy events, swap tunes and indulge in the local RP flavor. Lvl 12 or so is fine if everything you want to experience is in festival, tavern or housing zones.

  19. #19
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    182
    As a new player I faced the situation of server choosing. I wanted a realm for quality roleplay. Well, I rolled a character on both Laurelin and Crickhollow, because those two servers seemed to fit my playing style best. I was ríght, and I'd recommend the said two servers to anyone new to LOTRO, or to someone who wants a change. : )

  20. #20
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Beautiful Oregon
    Posts
    1,260
    My advice is to find a group or hang with some people or a kinship who enjoys roleplay and loves Tolkien's works. My advice would also be to not expect others to find the roleplay you enjoy but for you to start it.

    My kinship is a roleplay kinship that has been around for 7 years. We have light, medium and heavy roleplay plus just frivolous stuff for fun. No one person is responsible for all the roleplay that happens because we all are responsible. It does my heart good to see one of our members post on our website that the coming Friday there will be song and strolling in Rivendell for light roleplay purposes. I definitely support it by showing up. Or another member sets up conditions where we can meet and put on some more "heavy" roleplay while doing a certain quest. I take part in that too if I can. Our Kinship chat channel is roleplay too. We decided that we are present together in the kinship hall when we speak in that chat and things can get fun when we get some roleplay going there too. (it's not a palantir chat)

    Many of us have written our backstory on our web site but in roleplay we don't feel the need to explain why a Man is in Imladris or an Elf is in The Shire. My Elves avoid Bree because I personally can't find a good enough reason to be there in the company of so many other races. But, others of the kinship who are Elves do go to Bree and may even roleplay there. We are in this game as roleplayers and we set ourselves up for the roleplay we enjoy. So go out and find it or create it. Send me an invite and I will be happy to take part if one of my characters has a reason to be there. I roleplay on Landroval and Laurelin, both have their strengths and weaknesses. I would love my kinship to join an alliance of roleplay kinships also.
    [CENTER]
    [URL="http://s1.zetaboards.com/LeavesOfLaurelin/index/"]Leaves Of Laurelin - Landroval and Laurelin[/URL]
    [URL="http://s13.zetaboards.com/Andunie/index/"]Andúnië - Elven music society - Laurelin & Landroval[/URL]
    Makalaurë, Cotumo, Laurefindë, Witred, and Tulus!
    [/CENTER]

 

 

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

This form's session has expired. You need to reload the page.

Reload