We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    I do agree with a lot of people there ! Thank to Turbine I can play this game on my mac and it works very well (for a beta) ! A few problems with download (17 GB is HUGEEEE) but I can now discover a great game on a forgotten system.

Documentation of Mac Client at LOTRO-Wiki.com

I've created at page at Lotro-wiki.com documenting the Mac Client.

Since I just got my Internet back tonight, the information is primarily based on Beta 6.1. I've only had a brief opportunity to update the page so far.

See: http://lotro-wiki.com/index.php/Mac_Client

Feel free to comment on errors and things to add.
    Bill Magill - Mac Player - Old Timers Guild- Gladden:

Partial cast
    Valamar: Dwarf Hunter - Level 105
    Valdicta: Dwarf Rune-keeper - Level 105
    Valanne: Beorning - Level 91

My client is up and running smoothly since Saturday. I'm one if the lucky players who has no real problems at all. It's the same as to beta RoR times.
    I know that there are some issues left, but they don't bother me. Thx Turbine for the client, now i can smother my enemies from my Mac and don't need to switch to Bootcamp/Parallels anymore.

Thumbs up

Yes, Thank you Turbine! I am tired of having to switch to BOOTCAMP. I am glad to see a lot of main stream games adopting native osX clients.

Thumbs up

Thank you, I've been wanting to play Lotro for a very long time, was really thrilled to play the game today. The client runs very smoothly, I was really impressed. Great job, and a million thanks!

yay!

wooot! downloading it now!! thank you so much turbine!! been asking for a mac client for years no more having to use windows 8 <3

I've been playing on the Mac client now for several days, and I gotta say very well done. I've been bootcamping and playing through crossover for I don't even know how long, and it's so nice not to have to pull and strings, cobble together a long and (to me) complicated maneuver just to play this game that I love so much. Beyond that, I'm now able to set the game on ultra high graphics without any heat issues (constantly had to watch it in bootcamp on a med-high setting), I've experienced very little lag, it's just beautiful. As an unrepentant alt-o-holic, I haven't yet made it to the newer portions of the game (getting 9 characters up to the mid to late 30's takes a while, at least for me), but I really look forward to Moria, Mirkwood, Lorien, and Rohan natively, at ultra-high, on my Mac. Thanks, Turbine, you just confirmed me beyond doubt as a player for life.

Now don't screw it up.

I am new to Lotro. I found out about the Mac client via a news blurb on Inside Mac Games's web site.

I just wanted to write a big "Thank You".

You cannot imagine how fustrating it is to see great games year after year after year as a "PC Only" game.

It's a titanic undertaking to make a Mac client. And I'm sure there will be times when you'll wonder why. But be assured...

We Mac users are grateful as h-e-double hockey sticks!

I just wanted to say thank you, as well. I installed bootcamp and signed up for beta release just for this game years ago, a recent update made that old version not work on my machine anymore, and then I fund the unofficial client and enjoyed playing the game for about a month before RoR came out, when it stopped working. An official release is so much better. Hope I can make it work. Thank you again.

Thank you Lotro,I see and hear things that were not available to me in the window platform using Boot Camp. My Mac full potential is now being realize in this game.I hope the Gold Edition to the Mac comes out soon,the wait was wort it. Thank you again.

hmmm... i am a mac noob but have a Mac Book here. I downloaded the client via the link in this thread. When i start the installer for the dmg file it is says the file is corrupt.... am i doing something wrong or is it just a faulty download?

Any mac downloaders that can be used to download such large files ? or just use Safari?

Besides the chat bug, everything works just fine! Thank you Turbine

Quote Originally Posted by UwS-Harledir View Post
    hmmm... i am a mac noob but have a Mac Book here. I downloaded the client via the link in this thread. When i start the installer for the dmg file it is says the file is corrupt.... am i doing something wrong or is it just a faulty download?

Any mac downloaders that can be used to download such large files ? or just use Safari?
    This is a known issue with an erroneous Apple error message when trying to open the downloaded LotroLauncher.dmg disk image in OS X 10.7 & 10.8 (which have the Gatekeeper security system)

Read more about Gatekeeper here.

Try turning the Gatekeeper security off by doing the following;

1. Navigate to System Preferences > Security & Privacy > General

You may have to click the padlock (bottom left) and enter your admin password to permit changes to the settings. Once done you will be able to change;

Allow application downloaded from:. Select Anywhere

You can also keep the settings as is and just Cmd-Click the .dmg from Finder, should do the same trick without having to change the system wide settings.

Close the window and retry launching the LotroLauncher.dmg disk image.

Allow Disk Utility to fully 'Verify' the disk image

One thing noted specifically on the closed beta forums was how important it was to let Disk Utility fully 'Verify' the .dmg file (starts automatically when you double click the .dmg file). It takes a LONG time (around 5-6 minutes on my new iMac) If this is not done it can cause issues with the file.

Turn the security back on is you wish to after you have finished the install.

I posted a link in another thread which has images and good instructions is this is not clear.

Issue-with-Installation-in-10.7.5-10.8.x-Possible-Solution

Hope this helps.

thankyou very much for the great infos!

I downloaded the client again, thinking it might have been that, and used a downloader this time. It runs now, but now i get stuck on the installation - with some kind of error (unfort. not further defined)

Quote Originally Posted by UwS-Harledir View Post
    thankyou very much for the great infos!

I downloaded the client again, thinking it might have been that, and used a downloader this time. It runs now, but now i get stuck on the installation - with some kind of error (unfort. not further defined)
    Take a look at the new Turbine support page for the beta Mac client install instructions. From that if you can say at which point you are getting stuck and what error is gives.

How do I install the LOTRO Mac (beta) client on my computer?

Check to see if you are stuck on this issue included at the bottom there;

An internal error has occurred please contact customer services.

If you receive this message, try to select another Languagefrom the down-arrow icon in the top right of the Launcher. This will cause the client to relaunch and should then allow the Term & Conditions boxes to appear correctly and for the launcher to progress properly. You can turn the language back after the launcher has updated.
    Please open a new thread with the issue as it will get buried in this one and more people will see it if it is a new thread. Thanks.

I'll throw in.

Thanks!

Thanks from the whole family!

We all love the new mac client, and aren't having any problems at all with it...once we got it installed. We are having less problems than we did using windows. THANK YOU!

i have downloaded the official mac client from the website but when i try opening it on my mac it says the file has been damaged and can not be opened??? help please

Quote Originally Posted by raja786 View Post
    i have downloaded the official mac client from the website but when i try opening it on my mac it says the file has been damaged and can not be opened??? help please
    Firstly, welcome to Mac LOTRO!

It is probably the issue where the Gatekeeper security is producing an eroneous error message when in fact the file is fine.

Check this thread for details of what to do to turn this feature off to install from the downloaded disk image.

If you have any more problems or just want some Mac specific advice then best to post to the Mac Technical Support section and/or Submit a Ticket

In this way Turbine are made aware of a potential issue with the beta Mac client and can aid you directly in fixing the problem. Provide as much detail as is useful including computer spec/ RAM, OS version etc.

Good luck with it!
    Last edited by Toddlepip; Dec 05 2012 at 07:24 PM.

My new 27" iMac 2012 will be shipped in 2 weeks. Can't wait to run LOTRO on it. It seems that i am one of the few players who has absolutely no problems at all with the client. But i am only a casual player with 10 hours a week of play time, tops. I ordered the maxed out version with i7, 3TB FusionDrive and a GTX680M with 2GB VRAM.

Quote Originally Posted by padraxus View Post
    My new 27" iMac 2012 will be shipped in 2 weeks. Can't wait to run LOTRO on it. It seems that i am one of the few players who has absolutely no problems at all with the client. But i am only a casual player with 10 hours a week of play time, tops. I ordered the maxed out version with i7, 3TB FusionDrive and a GTX680M with 2GB VRAM.
    I'm sure you will have real fun with that new iMac!

Gaining and overview of just how a game plays is always a little distorted to see forum posts and people posting issue because the majority of players (of any game) will never post to them unless they had an issue. Looking back through the threads most issues that people had initially have a workaround at least and once you get playing it generally goes fine with a few exceptions like the typing bug. That is part of a beta and a reasonably small price to pay for native play on the Mac.

It would be good to see more interaction from Turbine and dialogue as to how the Mac side of fixing/ development is going. Also we still do not have a proper Turbine FAQ or Known Issue sticky here which just makes more work for their TS. And no Mac beta client for Bullroarer. Lets hope these things can be put in place as the Mac client moves forward and out of beta.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2