We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Alt Finder

Quote Originally Posted by Frisco View Post
    Now that they fixed the "ninja looting" issue (which was never widespread, anyway) what's the problem?

It's pretty selfish to want to make all players pay the price of their privacy so one or two rogue people don't sneak into a kin chest and steal a stack of ore.
    People who were known for doing it multiple times on multiple characters shouldn't be given a free pass because some people want to hide behind the safety of anonymity. Maybe this isn't an issue on tiny servers but on larger servers this is an issue.

If a stack of ore is all you have in your kin chest you are doing it wrong. We give away first age symbols in our kin all the time as well as items that sell regularly for 200+g and that's on Brandy which is one of the best economies I've come across (cheaspest) so we would like to know who exactly we are allowing into our circle before we gear them up.

I understand if you can't help people out and just keep everything for yourself and your 12 alts or whatever but people who like to share and help others need to know they aren't going to be stabbed in the back by these anon trolls who take advantage of people at every opportunity.

I don't understand why people are so upset by this.. if you aren't being searched you won't show up on the site. Most people didn't even know the second site existed until this thread posted it. With the number of hits it gets daily you will never be able to prevent this kind of program from being run, there will always be programs like this even if they have to resort to less legit ways to get the information, they will.

Quote Originally Posted by SozuRogberry View Post
    People who were known for doing it multiple times on multiple characters shouldn't be given a free pass because some people want to hide behind the safety of anonymity. Maybe this isn't an issue on tiny servers but on larger servers this is an issue.

If a stack of ore is all you have in your kin chest you are doing it wrong. We give away first age symbols in our kin all the time as well as items that sell regularly for 200+g and that's on Brandy which is one of the best economies I've come across (cheaspest) so we would like to know who exactly we are allowing into our circle before we gear them up.

I understand if you can't help people out and just keep everything for yourself and your 12 alts or whatever but people who like to share and help others need to know they aren't going to be stabbed in the back by these anon trolls who take advantage of people at every opportunity.

I don't understand why people are so upset by this.. if you aren't being searched you won't show up on the site. Most people didn't even know the second site existed until this thread posted it. With the number of hits it gets daily you will never be able to prevent this kind of program from being run, there will always be programs like this even if they have to resort to less legit ways to get the information, they will.
    Sounds like you need better recruitment standards, or more control over kin chests.

Privacy isn't a little thing to be thrown away just so kin leaders can be lazy with their invites and lax with their sharing. Privacy isn't just for people who are hiding dark secrets.

I realize that in an age where you tell everyone what you're thinking on Twitter, sharing pictures of your life on Instagram, telling everyone where you are at every moment on FourSquare, and telling everyone you know your opinion on everything, whether they care or not, on Facebook, and all these places are selling your personal information to Google Ads, that privacy is looked at as some evil thing, but I guarantee we'll all be sorry when it's not even an option anymore.

People treating other people's information like their own is not cool, no matter how lazy it lets you be with kin recruiting.
    [color=red]Work like no one is watching, dance like you don't need the money...[/color]

Sounds like you need better recruitment standards, or more control over kin chests.

Privacy isn't a little thing to be thrown away just so kin leaders can be lazy with their invites and lax with their sharing. Privacy isn't just for people who are hiding dark secrets.

I realize that in an age where you tell everyone what you're thinking on Twitter, sharing pictures of your life on Instagram, telling everyone where you are at every moment on FourSquare, and telling everyone you know your opinion on everything, whether they care or not, on Facebook, and all these places are selling your personal information to Google Ads, that privacy is looked at as some evil thing, but I guarantee we'll all be sorry when it's not even an option anymore.

People treating other people's information like their own is not cool, no matter how lazy it lets you be with kin recruiting.
    You act as if there is a conspiracy behind knowing who peoples alts are on a video game. You realize you don't even own your character right? It's not even your information it's turbines alts and turbines characters in the end. Totally different situation than facebook and those other sites you listed.

Altfinder also provides a multitude of other information that is not character specific so good luck getting it shutdown. More positives than negatives and tons of hits per day, it will stay up or new ones will pop up just like it.

Quote Originally Posted by SozuRogberry View Post
    You act as if there is a conspiracy behind knowing who peoples alts are on a video game. You realize you don't even own your character right? It's not even your information it's turbines alts and turbines characters in the end. Totally different situation than facebook and those other sites you listed.

Altfinder also provides a multitude of other information that is not character specific so good luck getting it shutdown. More positives than negatives and tons of hits per day, it will stay up or new ones will pop up just like it.
    Conspiracy? Privacy is a conspiracy?

I'm just hoping with the new forum software currently in the works, Turbine doesn't make the same mistake, then these sites won't pop up anymore. It would be nice if they shut this one down like they did the last site, and they probably will, but I'm not terribly worried about it. This is merely a matter of principle to me--I don't have any alts that people don't know about. Heck, back when we could have real forum signatures, I listed them all.

This sort of site is just wrong. And this isn't a new moral concept.
    [color=red]Work like no one is watching, dance like you don't need the money...[/color]

Privacy is dead

Privacy is dead. Time for a funeral.
    [CENTER][charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/04208000000127880/01006/signature.png]undefined[/charsig][/CENTER]

I personally really like the alt finder. It makes my life a lot easier in keeping track of people that I run with(tend to pug a lot in glff). Plus it is very helpful in figuring out who's behind creep side. In all honestly it has been used against me to find me hiding on alt.

Quote Originally Posted by vyger View Post
    Plus it is very helpful in figuring out who's behind creep side.
    One of the many reasons I dislike the site.

I think this alt finder mostly dislike people who have something to hide.
    So...

I dont mind alt finder, nor i adore it. Its good if someone trolls you but still its easy to make new account for that kind of things.

I had no idea there was an alt finder. I don't see the big deal I thought. I don't troll. I don't steal. I don't PvMP anymore so why should I care, right?

I then typed in my son's toon out of curiosity. Guess what happened? The site listed a page of toons that are NOT his. None of them are his. The other toon he does have wasn't listed there at all (and yes I monitor his account and know all his toons).

Suddenly I care. I don't care who knows my toons but my son is a kid. He is not allowed to play unless I or his father are online playing with him. And not because he is a problem but because sometimes the so called "adults" in the game can be - forgetting that kids play too. It's a great family activity for us but I don't like the idea that some unofficial website has 16 toons (half being creeps) connected to him that are not him.

Most thieves and trolls are going to use F2P accounts to do nefarious things anyway so these sites are mostly useless. Only really stupid people are going to steal using toons from their main account. I am sure it's used much more by nosy busy bodies than anyone else.

Whenever you put data like this in the hands of some anonymous (oh the irony) person on the web you are likely to have problems. The site is using graphics (logos and such) from this site and the last I checked taking site's copyrighted graphics was stealing. Makes no sense to me to use a thief to stop a thief. Who knows who owns that site and what their motives are. I am glad the new forum software/update will likely disable these sites. Use at your own risk.
    Last edited by Allawen; Jun 03 2013 at 02:12 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Wilwaryn View Post
    I think this alt finder mostly dislike people who have something to hide.
    I have nothing to hide, none of my chars is anonymous in game (never been), and they're in the same guild

None of my chars is public on mylotro but they're all listed on altfinder. Also, mylotro lists a few chars I deleted over the years while altfinder *doesn't*, that can only mean they don't rely on the forums but get their information *elsewhere*. This is a serious security breach.

If so many information related to your account are so easily exposed, your account safety is at risk as well.
    I'm not talking about hiding, I'm talking about security, that should be a concern for everyone, especially the honest ones.
    Last edited by Azurien; Jun 04 2013 at 06:21 AM.

the site isn't updated anymore i believe, when i try to find my newest toons it doesn't even find them...

Quote Originally Posted by Flixxer View Post
    the site isn't updated anymore i believe, when i try to find my newest toons it doesn't even find them...
    It does find the char I created *yesterday*, it doesn't find the char I deleted 2 days ago (I did this to check what that site does), so it's actually better updated than the official forums ...

EDIT: hope people won't have to see accounts hacked before realizing how weak security is, if that site can do what it does ...
    Last edited by Azurien; Jun 04 2013 at 07:03 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Azurien View Post
    None of my chars is public on mylotro but they're all listed on altfinder. Also, mylotro lists a few chars I deleted over the years while altfinder *doesn't*, that can only mean they don't rely on the forums but get their information *elsewhere*. This is a serious security breach.
    It's not. That is, how altfinder works. Read the post about this at the beginning of this thread. (esp. posts by Crell_1)

As long the char is visible through http://my.lotro.com/home/character/WORLD/CHARNAME/ it could be added to altfinder. But if noone searches for the char, how should altfinder know?

The problem is not people searching for information about alts, or having to write more or less complex URLs to retrieve those info from this site, that can be legit

Problem is there are *scripts* who do the job *outside* of official forums, it means those scripts have access to information related to accounts (the account ID they use *IS* an account-related info). and they are very efficient at that.

Quote Originally Posted by Amrundir View Post
    Read the post about this at the beginning of this thread.
    From what I could gather, altfinder has no other "fault" that simply using data that Turbine is exposing, and that's even worse since, in that case, any anonymous script could do the same, and this *is* a serious security breach.

I would be much more relieved if it was an implementation similar to the armory for WoW, that is game company's property, every information you want to know about characters *without* exposing account-related data to external sites unless it's the owner who submits them (but that would be the owner's responsibility, not the game's company).

Since this doesn't seem to be the case, I'm seriously worried ...
    Last edited by Azurien; Jun 04 2013 at 10:35 AM.

I don't understand how gathering public accessible data can be a security breach?

Sites like altfinder need a character's name and the world, it is on. Then get the information from the link I posted before.

Getting the char/world info is quite easy. Even without any security breaches.
    Some examples:
    • user searches
    • public chars in user profile (when searched for one if them all others are exposed)
    • guild pages
    • leaderboards

I don't understand how gathering public accessible data can be a security breach?
    As I said, the problem is not gathering data that are public, altfinder people are not doing anything wrong in this.

It's the other way round: the problem is making *some data* (account related) public so anyone can access them. This part is the breach.

We had this discussion 2 years ago.
    http://forums.lotro.com/showthread.p...no-matter-what

The official statement was, mylotro is working as intended.

Please read that thread yourself. English is a foreign language for me. That means, writing in english is hard work. And I refuse to use google translate for these things, because it does not work.

I read it yesterday, when you suggested it it to me (thanks for it )

The official statement was, mylotro is working as intended.
    It doesn't mean it's safe.

If altfinder was an integrated function of this forum I would welcome it, but I don't like making account ids readable by anyone, it's not the right way to do it.

I also found the thread about incoming forum changes, it seems they are doing things a bit more secure, so I'll wait and see.
    I also hope they'll give players all the useful services they need without putting sensitive data at risk anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by maxjenius View Post
    I'm waiting for the "Why do you care? What's the big deal? You got something to hide?" post.

I also like to keep my account name separate from my characters as much as possible.

Many players are sought out and harassed incessantly for no reason. It's for this reason that it would be nice if the game developers could somehow protect the player's main and alts from scrutiny that warps into obsessive compulsive hate.

No player should have to be worried that they're logging into a game where they are fodder for the hate intended at all ages.

If unscrupulous humans are so inclined to create a public website whereby others, as well as themselves, can find out all of the characters of those they seek out day-in and day-out to plummet their hate on, then those same humans can - and will - seek further how to hack into other information of the players.

It's a thought, and something the game should be involved in ending such websites, in the same way they protect their customer's personal information that they hold and assure the customer is safe, and for their eyes only.

In the same flavor, /ignores should be account wide.
    LvL 100s: Beorning, Burglar, Captain, Champ, Guardian, Hunter, Lore-Master, Minstrel, Rune-Keeper
    LvL 85: Warden, Minstrel
    All my forum posts are my opinions and may not even be that. Also On Twitter: @leixicon

If you want to find your characters on all servers go here: https://www.lotro.com/en/character_copy
    You must be signed in to view the list however.

Quote Originally Posted by PlayTyme View Post
    Many players are sought out and harassed incessantly for no reason. It's for this reason that it would be nice if the game developers could somehow protect the player's main and alts from scrutiny that warps into obsessive compulsive hate.

No player should have to be worried that they're logging into a game where they are fodder for the hate intended at all ages.

If unscrupulous humans are so inclined to create a public website whereby others, as well as themselves, can find out all of the characters of those they seek out day-in and day-out to plummet their hate on, then those same humans can - and will - seek further how to hack into other information of the players.

It's a thought, and something the game should be involved in ending such websites, in the same way they protect their customer's personal information that they hold and assure the customer is safe, and for their eyes only.
    Hi! This old thread has old info. There is now no option to view characters via this main site and the old lotro alt finder site that used this data has not been up to date since the change (and had a lot of random other errors as well, with my characters being bunched up with random names - but that's another matter).

Happy gaming!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3