We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Alt Finder

no longer anonymous

Quote Originally Posted by PropJoe View Post
    This issue was brought up more than a year ago during the EU merge. According to Turbine it's WAI.

How that site works: Every single character on myLotro has a public account ID.

Just to show you an example from two of my characters. Both characters are set to Anonymous and are on different servers. Check the URLs closely.
    http://my.lotro.com/home/character/2...9237545543834/
    http://my.lotro.com/home/character/2...4961819772318/

As you can see "2525826" is the account ID for my account. So every time someone plugs a character to that site, that characters account ID gets saved. And every character that has the same account ID gets linked to each other. There is nothing you can do to protect yourself from it.

Check this thread for more info. Or if you're to lazy to read it all #144

They probably wont be "nameless" for much longer
    Excuse me I don't write code and forgive me, I just assumed that when I set a character to anonymous, they were, in fact "anonymous."

I have no idea about even how to find my characters personal ID: can you explicate Propjoe?

To another player that posted above, it is my understanding that there are a number of sites, up and running that can duplicate the site that was closed. Go figure.
    Last edited by HRHoftheWraithRiders; Nov 05 2012 at 07:32 PM. Reason: more info
    [CENTER][charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/04208000000127880/01006/signature.png]undefined[/charsig][/CENTER]

Pretending to be another person: whole point of VR game?

Quote Originally Posted by Laire View Post
    It's a double-edged sword.

On one hand, it basically ruins any sense of privacy you may have had.

On the other, it also is very helpful in revealing when one person is pretending to be several different people for whatever reason.

In the end, if Turbine decides they don't want to do anything about it, then that's that.
    Okay, but we are playing on computers, from all over the world.

If the whole point of this is "immersion in the world" why ruin it when we create alts, creep or freep?

The whole point of this game is to create a "fantasy" and play in different areas on different characters. It is great way to escape from the "real world" or "RL" as people say. Great. So let us escape and get off peoples butts because you don't like them or you don't this or you don't that? just like "RL" you can play with whomever you want. So just do that? I do. No voice? no mic? no play with me. No ninja invites. Not allowed with any of my toons. I really wish the GMs would step up and mind the kids. Being a GM must be the worst job in the world. I hope you are making at least $100k year to do such a garbage job. Good luck.

My information is not for sale, if it was, I would be on Facebook playing Farmville. I am not. Genius eh?
    Last edited by HRHoftheWraithRiders; Nov 05 2012 at 07:47 PM.
    [CENTER][charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/04208000000127880/01006/signature.png]undefined[/charsig][/CENTER]

Quote Originally Posted by HRHoftheWraithRiders View Post
    To another player that posted above, it is my understanding that there are a number of sites, up and running that can duplicate the site that was closed. Go figure.
    I don't know about any publicly available sites but once meinlotro was taken offline I created my own little app to do the exact same thing. I won't be hosting it anywhere, it'll just sit on my PC and be used when someone goes a-trolling.

I am sure I am not the only person who has done this!
    [CENTER][B][COLOR=#ffff00]Isabaeux[/COLOR][/B] - 2nd rate Captain | [B][COLOR=#ffff00]Falurze[/COLOR][/B] - 3rd rate Guard
    Off Peak | Elendilmir[/CENTER]

Excuse me I don't write code and forgive me, I just assumed that when I set a character to anonymous, they were, in fact "anonymous."
    Nothing is really hidden other than your forum username when you set your character to anonymous. Everything else is still there. You just have to add /activitylog, /skirmishlog, /skirmishcharts to the URL.

I have no idea about even how to find my characters personal ID: can you explicate Propjoe?
    First go to a characters page.
    http://my.lotro.com/home/character/Brandywine/Proposition

Then click on "Character Details". You will now see a new address in your URL bar.
    The first numbers after "my.lotro.com/home/character/" is your account ID number. In my example 2525826.
    Last edited by PropJoe; Nov 06 2012 at 02:42 AM.

I have to say, i used Altfinder often to track down kinrobbers... Warned several kins for several kinrobbers already. I can imagine people don't like it to be listed there, but for me it was pretty useful.
    Nothing but oldskool noise!

[charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0d21600000011be8a/01008/signature.png]undefined[/charsig]

It's not only Alt Finder - there's also a site, that tracks PvP activity, called "Daily stats" or something like that. That site is often used during PvP forum fights, especially for accusing other people of clubbing. In other words - it's being used for stalking. I find it outrageous, that Turbine is sharing some data to public view. I mean data like: PvP activity (already mentioned above, as I assume that site takes data from Turbine systems), PvE activity (deed logs) and exposes all alts with information what servers are they on. I understand arguments, that it's useful tool for tracking trolls and other troublemakers, but I also think it shouldn't be done by community. Such tool should be (and is I assume) available for Turbine crew only. Everyone has right to privacy, no matter what their motives are. Besides, in most cases, those motives are not fishy - examples already mentioned above. These features (alt finder, mylotro deed tracker, daily PvP stats) are one of main reasons why I've stopped paying Turbine any money, because I value my privacy and it's pissing me off, that Turbine exposes pretty critcal data about me.
    [i]Treat me mean, I need the reputation.[/i]

A tool is only ever as good as the person using it, sometimes it is the person using it.

On the one hand it is obviously going to be a good thing for those wanting to make sure their hard earned kin rep isnt going to be tarnished.

But for those of us who have alts outwith a kin it can lead to awkwardness and the potential for unpleasantness.

I have several alts in a kin I made for extra storage and display of housing items. I also play them as sometimes it's nice to log on and play without having to put up with in kin politics. Before the altfinder site went away I had a couple of rather rude tells from someone basically accusing me of being a traitor etc. Thankfully the same individual wasnt aware of my f2p account so I could still play in peace.

I dont mind that much if my characters are listed on a website but a certain level of anonimity would be nice to let us just play in peace if nothing else.

Alt finder was a very useful tool but off course many people that have something to hide dont want it
    [CENTER][IMG]http://i57.tinypic.com/nzknxz.jpg[/IMG]
    [/CENTER]

The trolls use F2P accounts or multiple accounts so this alt finder thing won't really provide a means to identify the nut jobs and meet our desire to ignore their alts. We've had at least 3 people on Ark that got bans and they spent several evenings creating f2p accounts to rant and rage (one used racial slurs) in glff until banned then they'd rinse and repeat with a new account. Fortunately 2 of the 3 individuals are now the problems of other servers (E and BW).
    A vote for Sapience is a vote for progress? A 4th fix to get Draigoch to "dragon up" that still doesn't fix the persistent bug in the raid is not how I define progress.

So the facebook one was taken down...only to be replaced.. by another.... http://lotroaltfinder.net/ this one is still in its infancy only about 280,000 characters(as of this post), the face book one had over a million.

not that impressive

If you search at lotro forum for 2 of your characters using the search bar, you'll see that, same if anonymous, both of them will have 2 sequence of numbers at the url separated for a bar (EX.: 23124125/4868791479742)
    The first sequence of numbers is your account and the second your char.
    The point is, that Alt Finder site are just using things that Turbine let as public, like Crell said, when you search some char, the data base compare that first sequence of numbers with the chars they already know.

we need to ask for Turbine dont show your account number sequence at url dont matter what, so this kind of site will not exist anymore.
    And need to shut down the Lotro Alt Finder, some blue name NEED say something about this

EDIT: Mistyp

Quote Originally Posted by Snabur View Post
    And need to shut down the Lotro Alt Finder
    It prevents more problems than it causes.
    Last edited by SozuRogberry; Apr 02 2013 at 08:57 PM.
    What is it? What do you smell?

we need to ask for Turbine dont show your account number sequence at url dont matter what, so this kind of site will not exist anymore.
    And need to shut down the Lotro Alt Finder, some blue name NEED say something about this

EDIT: Mistyp
    Do you have to hide something ?
    Are you one of that person that get items in kin and after re sell them with an alt in AH?
    Are you usual to spy ooc on freep/creep side ?
    [/CENTER]

Quote Originally Posted by Anolus View Post
    Are you one of that person that get items in kin and after re sell them with an alt in AH?
    Do they want to play their individual characters as separate entities entirely?

Do they want to post items on the AH without incessant whining regarding not giving a "kin price"?

Do they want to occasionally play without having to deal with kin politics?

Do they sometimes have only a short amount of time to log on and don't want to spend half that time stating they aren't available for runs?

Do they just sometimes want to play alone, quietly, maybe watching a movie while they quest/deed/craft?

Assuming that anyone who doesn't want all their alt data listed on some random site (or even on the forums) is doing something wrong is asinine. There's numerous reasons that are perfectly valid and have nothing to do with trolling, spying, or stealing.

I love my kin. I don't steal from them and I frequently sell items to members at a reduced rate or free. I don't troll, much, and if/when I do, it's mild and on my main toons. I don't spy in the Moors, as it would ruin my immersion and feel horribly cheap. And yet, I would prefer to keep my alts hidden. If I'm on an alt and not in Mumble, chances are I don't want to run 3/6 mans. If I have a headache and don't want to chat, I'm on a hidden alt. Please remove the alt finding functionality of the website (when a player puts that toon to anon) and maybe stop giving away (insert proper coding term for access to this info) to outside websites.
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0920d0000000c5929/signature.png]Naughtymistress[/charsig]

And some creeps. Most of whom shall remain nameless :p

Well if you can't say no it's your problem not mine , Alt finder is very useful and it should not be removed from the web

Looking at your signature : LOL , qq ftw !
    [/CENTER]

This quote is lol, maybe you do that things

No, i'm one of that person who dont wish to nobody know all of my chars. Cause Turbine give to players the anon option, i just want to use this feature working well.
    Why? I just dont like the ideia everyone watching me where i'm, i dont want kin officers kicking me from the kin cause i have alts in others kins to RP, cause i RP (same being a endgame player) and every char of mine is a different person, cause i dont want to faceroll someone at pvp and when i going to play another char this person stay sending me tells and kicking me from pugs.

And now the classic troll phrase (just because you quote, you deserve this) : I pay my account not you, dont matter why, Turbine give me a option and i have the right this option work well, letting my chars in anon now matter where. Pay my subs i choose if i show my chars or not

Well if you can't say no it's your problem not mine , Alt finder is very useful and it should not be removed from the web

LoL
    Since its not a Turbine licensed site it have to be removed and it'll be
    If you find usefull i'm sad for you

If you find usefull i'm sad for you
    I find it useful to fight trolling, bullying, spying and so, feel sad for me also.
    [IMG]http://img571.imageshack.us/img571/254/6rpe.jpg[/IMG][FONT=Verdana]
    Tindalas is Laurelin's negative nancy. ([/FONT][FONT=Verdana]Felathurin aka Brunt)[/FONT]

Quote Originally Posted by TiNdA-LoS View Post
    I find it useful to fight trolling, bullying, spying and so, feel sad for me also.
    Since 99% of the players who do this use different accounts i feel sad for you too, Lotro alt finder helps nothing with this, just help for the ones who troll and spy to know every alt some player that them dislike have and keep trolling and spying.

This quote is lol, maybe you do that things

No, i'm one of that person who dont wish to nobody know all of my chars. Cause Turbine give to players the anon option, i just want to use this feature working well.
    Why? I just dont like the ideia everyone watching me where i'm, i dont want kin officers kicking me from the kin cause i have alts in others kins to RP, cause i RP (same being a endgame player) and every char of mine is a different person, cause i dont want to faceroll someone at pvp and when i going to play another char this person stay sending me tells and kicking me from pugs.

And now the classic troll phrase (just because you quote, you deserve this) : I pay my account not you, dont matter why, Turbine give me a option and i have the right this option work well, letting my chars in anon now matter where. Pay my subs i choose if i show my chars or not
    It's fantastic how you reply and i hope your kin leader can read and kick you from the kin if you are doing the things you say .....
    Kinship have rules if you accept them good if you don't don't join them and don't blame a tool that shows all your tricks

*friendlists are bugged and no one can see where you are , being anonimous remove also the possibility to be seen also from the in game "zone" searcher so ......
    Last edited by Anolus; Apr 03 2013 at 11:44 AM.
    [/CENTER]

Major invasion of privacy....again. It's scary how many people don't even see this as an issue. Shut it down, Turbine, and change the way you display our character info.
    [color=red]Work like no one is watching, dance like you don't need the money...[/color]

I find your comments rude and trollish. You don't have to agree with me, or anyone else, but a little civility goes a long way. I have yet to give -rep to anyone and while I really want to give it to you, you're just not worth it. So a virtual -rep to you.

As for my signature, I play on a small server and play freep WAY more than creep. I have found that many people will either target you before anyone else, or run past you letting you be based solely on whether or not they are friends with you on the freep side. When I'm on my creep, I'm an evil villain and I want to play as a separate entity from my freeps. Playing a warg as my main creep, stealth is key. When you have hunters in kin who think it's fun to spam track you everytime you go out, PvP loses its fun.
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0920d0000000c5929/signature.png]Naughtymistress[/charsig]

And some creeps. Most of whom shall remain nameless :p

Quote Originally Posted by NaughtyMistress View Post
    I love my kin. I don't steal from them and I frequently sell items to members at a reduced rate or free. I don't troll, much, and if/when I do, it's mild and on my main toons. I don't spy in the Moors, as it would ruin my immersion and feel horribly cheap. And yet, I would prefer to keep my alts hidden. If I'm on an alt and not in Mumble, chances are I don't want to run 3/6 mans. If I have a headache and don't want to chat, I'm on a hidden alt.
    Sounds like you shouldn't be worried about anyone using this tool to look you up.

As a recruiter for kins and tribes this tool has prevented many problems before they started.

We have people who steal first age symbols and ninja loot then make alt after alt trying to escape the stigma that follows on Brandywine, how could anyone oppose a site that helps prevent thieves from getting into reputable kinships?
    Last edited by SozuRogberry; Apr 03 2013 at 01:47 PM.
    What is it? What do you smell?

Quote Originally Posted by SozuRogberry View Post
    Sounds like you shouldn't be worried about anyone using this tool to look you up.

As a recruiter for kins and tribes this tool has prevented many problems before they started.

We have people who steal first age symbols and ninja loot then make alt after alt trying to escape the stigma that follows on Brandywine, how could anyone oppose a site that helps prevent thieves from getting into reputable kinships?
    Now that they fixed the "ninja looting" issue (which was never widespread, anyway) what's the problem?

It's pretty selfish to want to make all players pay the price of their privacy so one or two rogue people don't sneak into a kin chest and steal a stack of ore.
    [color=red]Work like no one is watching, dance like you don't need the money...[/color]

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast