We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Alt Finder

Alt Finder

I hoped that when I set my characters on My.lotro to not show any feeds and had my account set to anonymous that folks would not be able to know who my alts are. I suppose on My.lotro you can not look up one character and see who that players other characters are if set to anonymous, correct me if I am wrong, I can't seem to match up player alts here on My.lotro.

Anyhow, I saw someone post a link to this Alt Finder site in glff the other day. I was curious, so I checked it out. Man was I surprised to see a list of my alts when I typed in 1 of my characters name and hit search. I sent Alt Finder a letter, asking how is this possible and how I could have my toons removed from their site. Again I was surprised to get a response, they said they get the info from My.lotro.

WHAT!?!?!

I would understand why a troll would want themselves to be anonymous, so that folks can't find out what their other toons are on My.lotro. I would rather not have other folks not know who my alts in some cases. For instance, I have a auction house character that I use to sell stuff there, nothing made from my toons of course, because I don't want players to know that character is mine as well. Also, I would rather a troll not know who my alts are, so that they don't continue to harass me. In fact, I have told no one who this AH character is, and have been really careful not to do anything that would compromise that. Yet there is, listed with my other toons on this Alt Finder site.

What is the purpose of being anonymous on My.lotro if people can just go to another site to get the information that was gathered from My.lotro?

Now I am not saying that the My.lotro site is not working as intended, but where is the option to prevent other sites from gathering information from My.lotro, that I can't even seem to gather because supposedly some accounts are anonymous and that info should not be accessible to others? Gear and stats I could care less for, but knowing who all my alts are is not acceptable.
    Last edited by Tarbot; Oct 31 2012 at 09:32 PM.

Basically all of the Community social features and integrated APIs are beta products (at best), and do not necessarily work as one might expect. For instance, I cannot see any of your characters in your profile.

With that said, if that site collected this data from the public feeds prior to going private it may simply be archiving that data.

I didn't think of that. But, I've been anonymous since before I created this AH character.

I'm waiting for the "Why do you care? What's the big deal? You got something to hide?" post.

I also like to keep my account name separate from my characters as much as possible.

This is how the community site is intended to operate. You cannot disassociate your characters from one another. You can only disassociate your characters from your forum avatar.

+Sapience addresses this here: http://forums.lotro.com/showthread.p...62#post5363462

Personally, I think it encourages people to play more holistically, They can't troll with one character and be nice with another. They can't as easily try and raid your kin with a new character after getting rid of one of their alts just the day before.

The website the OP is discussing is here:

http://morning-cloud-7946.herokuapp.com/altfinder/

The kinds of changes you want would require a fundamental reworking of the system. Personally, I'd rather the community site's team's efforts be spent elsewhere. Like actually letting us stay logged in when we check the box.

Here's a tip. The site learns from the data its exposed to. Plugging in your AH character or any other you want to remain secret is ABSOLUTELY the worst course of action. This way it will stay unassociated until checked out. Also, if you don't mark it as anonymous in mylotro it wont require a direct exposure, and will be exposed by entering any other of your public characters into the search box.
    Last edited by Crell_1; Oct 31 2012 at 08:14 PM.
    Crell-L85-Champion - Riddermark ; Swego-L85-Burglar ; Kotvi-L95-Runekeeper
    Delego-L85 Hunter ; Stodden-L51-Captain ; Edhul-L61-Loremaster
    Deglorion - SoA XP Disabler

If people are that interested in me, whatever. Hehe.

I have all my characters except for my hobbit set to anonymous. If you want to know my other characters, you could ask me. I'm not hiding it. Or you could sneak around like some creeper and find out that way. Your choice.

I suppose one way to get around it would be keep your main on one account and have alts on another? They wouldn't be associated with each other that way.

Edit:

Now that I think about it, I'm more interested in what other "hidden" information could possibly be pulled from the site. Encrypted stuff, important, personal stuff, etc. Lot's of gaming companies have been getting "hacked" recently. Them hackers are gettin' smarter...and I'm just hoping the gaming companies are at least trying to keep up. : /
    Last edited by paintpixie; Oct 31 2012 at 09:43 PM.

Was a bit of a shock to find my characters "on display" like that. It's actually nobodys business how many character I have, what level they are and what I named them ... Too bad this is a 'Feedback via facebook' page, since I'ed love to give whoever made this page a piece of my opinion: And he'll have trouble chewing on that one for sure.

What irritates me is the fact that some characters aren't showing while others are ... Anyone know why?

Quote Originally Posted by Zombielord View Post
    What irritates me is the fact that some characters aren't showing while others are ... Anyone know why?
    Public characters will show up with the first search. Any other search relies on someone else having specifically looked for that alt so that the data which identifies it as belonging to 'you', (your account) can be cataloged and compared/cross-linked

The more data you give it, the more powerful it becomes.

Use at your own risk.

What's frustrating is that when we ask for an account-wide ignore feature we're told no because it would violate other player's "privacy" and their "right to interact." Yeah, except that info is freely available outside the game.

Quote Originally Posted by Zombielord View Post
    Was a bit of a shock to find my characters "on display" like that. It's actually nobodys business how many character I have, what level they are and what I named them ... Too bad this is a 'Feedback via facebook' page, since I'ed love to give whoever made this page a piece of my opinion: And he'll have trouble chewing on that one for sure.
    I think you're making the same erroneous assumption I made when I made my post, namely that the site reveals a connection between account and characters. No one can tell from that site what characters are associated with what account.

Quote Originally Posted by maxjenius View Post
    I think you're making the same erroneous assumption I made when I made my post, namely that the site reveals a connection between account and characters. No one can tell from that site what characters are associated with what account.
    They cannot tell what characters are associated with what forum account unless you leave that information exposed by having one or more toons as 'public'. What they can do is associate your characters to each other, and thus to a single turbine game account.

Personally I don't like that website because imo it can be put to morally questionable use (Stalking a person, trolling them, etc.). I know of a few individuals who use it to keep track of who's alts are who, and some freeps/creeps using it to find out the alts of their creep/freep counterparts.
    [center][charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/2521c0000001a34b0/01006/signature.png]undefined[/charsig]
    [url=https://twitter.com/NalyeAsMeldar]Twitter[/url] | [URL="http://sarathaela.deviantart.com/"]Deviant Art[/URL] | [URL="http://hammadiquendi.blogspot.ch/"]Hammad-i-Quendi - Outfits for Elves[/URL]
    Daerundros | Selarthil | Ruthoiel | Duinien[/center]

It's a double-edged sword.

On one hand, it basically ruins any sense of privacy you may have had.

On the other, it also is very helpful in revealing when one person is pretending to be several different people for whatever reason.

In the end, if Turbine decides they don't want to do anything about it, then that's that.

RIP ELENDILMIR • Jingle Jangle
    Landroval
    : LAERLIN (Bio + Drawings) • LAERWEN • OLORIEL • AETHELIND (Bio + Drawing) • NETHAEL

I've never been able to match up alts on this site for folks that are anonymous, so I'd ask the same question. How is it possible for that site to find info on alts(and apparently using mylotro to get the info, anonymous or not), yet here we are using mylotro and we can't even get that info?
    Last edited by AAKaster; Nov 02 2012 at 12:44 AM.

This makes me sad, though it does explain how someone I really don't care for was able to immediately put my main toons name to my warg, which is unknown to even most of my kin.

And for the sake of conversation, I keep my wargs name a secret in general so that the hunters in my kin, who PvP quite a bit, don't stalk me. Ruins the point of a stealth class when one or two people are constantly tracking you, thinking it's funny.
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0920d0000000c5929/signature.png]Naughtymistress[/charsig]

And some creeps. Most of whom shall remain nameless :p

This issue was brought up more than a year ago during the EU merge. According to Turbine it's WAI.

How that site works: Every single character on myLotro has a public account ID.

Just to show you an example from two of my characters. Both characters are set to Anonymous and are on different servers. Check the URLs closely.
    http://my.lotro.com/home/character/2...9237545543834/
    http://my.lotro.com/home/character/2...4961819772318/

As you can see "2525826" is the account ID for my account. So every time someone plugs a character to that site, that characters account ID gets saved. And every character that has the same account ID gets linked to each other. There is nothing you can do to protect yourself from it.

Check this thread for more info. Or if you're to lazy to read it all #144

Quote Originally Posted by NaughtyMistress View Post
    And some creeps. Most of whom shall remain nameless
    They probably wont be "nameless" for much longer
    Last edited by PropJoe; Nov 02 2012 at 03:27 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by AAKaster View Post
    How is it possible for that site to find info on alts(and apparently using mylotro to get the info, anonymous or not), yet here we are using mylotro and we can't even get that info?
    It does it the same way we do with the site. By comparing IDs. It just has a much much longer memory than we do, and its much faster at it.

I noticed something odd, this site also connected most of my alts, and when I clicked on the my.lotro link, I saw why, my forum name was displayed despite I was not logged in and was pretty sure I unchecked the "public" checkbox for all of them.
    So I checked settings, and yes, none set to public, searched the forums, still pointed to this setting, so I changed the setting for a character and voilà, now suddenly my other chars show "anonymous".

No idea what happened there, but at some point that option must've been buggy and only by saving the settings again they REALLY become "anonymous".

I happen to love the altfinder site. I'm the co-leader of a very large social kin, and happen to like having the ability to plug in the name of someone asking to join and find out who their alts are. It has saved me a fair amount of grief in the past when I have turned down an applicant whose alts are known trolls and griefers. If you consider that stalking, then I am most happy to be a stalker.

If you are a person who has earned a bad reputation on one character, I don't recognize any 'right' you feel you have for that reputation to vanish just because you reroll.
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0520a0000002462db/01003/signature.png]undefined[/charsig]
    Creeps - Cloakz, Gatogigante

Quote Originally Posted by Trusilver View Post
    If you are a person who has earned a bad reputation on one character, I don't recognize any 'right' you feel you have for that reputation to vanish just because you reroll.
    So for the few people who have earned themselves a bad rep, the rest of us have no right to any alt privacy either? Some just want alts private so they can play sometimes without having to be social, or offend people by saying they just don't feel like talking today.
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0920d0000000c5929/signature.png]Naughtymistress[/charsig]

And some creeps. Most of whom shall remain nameless :p

Now I just tried to access both the alt finder website and their Facebook page and neither are accessible. Unless the sites are just temporarily down at the moment. For the website I get the 404 Not Found and Page Not Found for Facebook.

Quote Originally Posted by Rhysdan View Post
    Now I just tried to access both the alt finder website and their Facebook page and neither are accessible. Unless the sites are just temporarily down at the moment. For the website I get the 404 Not Found and Page Not Found for Facebook.
    yep, appears to have gone bye-bye.
    Estellost, loving husband of the wonderful Shinarra

Alt finder is very useful for finding out who just logged in and started trolling in /ooc.

It seems to me that it is mostly people with something to hide, or bad behavior, that do not like this alt finder. Perhaps you should play more respectable and you wouldn't have to hide yourself.
    [CENTER]Gourdies-R9 Defiler - Zaknafeinz-R9 Defiler & Roudy-R11 Warg, Dwarrowdelf
    [/CENTER]

Quote Originally Posted by StileMajere View Post
    Alt finder is very useful for finding out who just logged in and started trolling in /ooc.

It seems to me that it is mostly people with something to hide, or bad behavior, that do not like this alt finder. Perhaps you should play more respectable and you wouldn't have to hide yourself.
    Actually, I would rather my alt info not be shared so that I CAN hide from those that don't play more respectably.

On a good note, the folks who run the site(the person who replied to my message i sent to altfinder, removed my characters from the site), but also stated that they wouldn't be able to prevent them from being added again in the future.

now that the site is down, permanently or maybe moving, there is no issue.

Quote Originally Posted by PropJoe View Post
    How that site works: Every single character on myLotro has a public account ID.
    very helpful, now I understand how this is possible, thanks.

thanks Propjoe, that makes a lot of sense. I can see how that would take me a very long time to figure out who's ats are whos, but a program could do it much faster. And how convenient to have a one-source site that everyone can go to, to add alts from this site into 1 data base that could do it even faster.

Why doesn't My.Lotro provide that for us?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast