We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

Thread: Alt Finder

Hybrid View

Alt Finder

I hoped that when I set my characters on My.lotro to not show any feeds and had my account set to anonymous that folks would not be able to know who my alts are. I suppose on My.lotro you can not look up one character and see who that players other characters are if set to anonymous, correct me if I am wrong, I can't seem to match up player alts here on My.lotro.

Anyhow, I saw someone post a link to this Alt Finder site in glff the other day. I was curious, so I checked it out. Man was I surprised to see a list of my alts when I typed in 1 of my characters name and hit search. I sent Alt Finder a letter, asking how is this possible and how I could have my toons removed from their site. Again I was surprised to get a response, they said they get the info from My.lotro.

WHAT!?!?!

I would understand why a troll would want themselves to be anonymous, so that folks can't find out what their other toons are on My.lotro. I would rather not have other folks not know who my alts in some cases. For instance, I have a auction house character that I use to sell stuff there, nothing made from my toons of course, because I don't want players to know that character is mine as well. Also, I would rather a troll not know who my alts are, so that they don't continue to harass me. In fact, I have told no one who this AH character is, and have been really careful not to do anything that would compromise that. Yet there is, listed with my other toons on this Alt Finder site.

What is the purpose of being anonymous on My.lotro if people can just go to another site to get the information that was gathered from My.lotro?

Now I am not saying that the My.lotro site is not working as intended, but where is the option to prevent other sites from gathering information from My.lotro, that I can't even seem to gather because supposedly some accounts are anonymous and that info should not be accessible to others? Gear and stats I could care less for, but knowing who all my alts are is not acceptable.
    Last edited by Tarbot; Oct 31 2012 at 08:32 PM.

Basically all of the Community social features and integrated APIs are beta products (at best), and do not necessarily work as one might expect. For instance, I cannot see any of your characters in your profile.

With that said, if that site collected this data from the public feeds prior to going private it may simply be archiving that data.

I didn't think of that. But, I've been anonymous since before I created this AH character.

I'm waiting for the "Why do you care? What's the big deal? You got something to hide?" post.

I also like to keep my account name separate from my characters as much as possible.

This is how the community site is intended to operate. You cannot disassociate your characters from one another. You can only disassociate your characters from your forum avatar.

+Sapience addresses this here: http://forums.lotro.com/showthread.p...62#post5363462

Personally, I think it encourages people to play more holistically, They can't troll with one character and be nice with another. They can't as easily try and raid your kin with a new character after getting rid of one of their alts just the day before.

The website the OP is discussing is here:

http://morning-cloud-7946.herokuapp.com/altfinder/

The kinds of changes you want would require a fundamental reworking of the system. Personally, I'd rather the community site's team's efforts be spent elsewhere. Like actually letting us stay logged in when we check the box.

Here's a tip. The site learns from the data its exposed to. Plugging in your AH character or any other you want to remain secret is ABSOLUTELY the worst course of action. This way it will stay unassociated until checked out. Also, if you don't mark it as anonymous in mylotro it wont require a direct exposure, and will be exposed by entering any other of your public characters into the search box.
    Last edited by Crell_1; Oct 31 2012 at 07:14 PM.
    Crell-L85-Champion - Riddermark ; Swego-L85-Burglar ; Kotvi-L95-Runekeeper
    Delego-L85 Hunter ; Stodden-L51-Captain ; Edhul-L61-Loremaster
    Deglorion - SoA XP Disabler

If people are that interested in me, whatever. Hehe.

I have all my characters except for my hobbit set to anonymous. If you want to know my other characters, you could ask me. I'm not hiding it. Or you could sneak around like some creeper and find out that way. Your choice.

I suppose one way to get around it would be keep your main on one account and have alts on another? They wouldn't be associated with each other that way.

Edit:

Now that I think about it, I'm more interested in what other "hidden" information could possibly be pulled from the site. Encrypted stuff, important, personal stuff, etc. Lot's of gaming companies have been getting "hacked" recently. Them hackers are gettin' smarter...and I'm just hoping the gaming companies are at least trying to keep up. : /
    Last edited by paintpixie; Oct 31 2012 at 08:43 PM.

Was a bit of a shock to find my characters "on display" like that. It's actually nobodys business how many character I have, what level they are and what I named them ... Too bad this is a 'Feedback via facebook' page, since I'ed love to give whoever made this page a piece of my opinion: And he'll have trouble chewing on that one for sure.

What irritates me is the fact that some characters aren't showing while others are ... Anyone know why?

Quote Originally Posted by Zombielord View Post
    What irritates me is the fact that some characters aren't showing while others are ... Anyone know why?
    Public characters will show up with the first search. Any other search relies on someone else having specifically looked for that alt so that the data which identifies it as belonging to 'you', (your account) can be cataloged and compared/cross-linked

The more data you give it, the more powerful it becomes.

Use at your own risk.
    Crell-L85-Champion - Riddermark ; Swego-L85-Burglar ; Kotvi-L95-Runekeeper
    Delego-L85 Hunter ; Stodden-L51-Captain ; Edhul-L61-Loremaster
    Deglorion - SoA XP Disabler

Quote Originally Posted by Zombielord View Post
    Was a bit of a shock to find my characters "on display" like that. It's actually nobodys business how many character I have, what level they are and what I named them ... Too bad this is a 'Feedback via facebook' page, since I'ed love to give whoever made this page a piece of my opinion: And he'll have trouble chewing on that one for sure.
    I think you're making the same erroneous assumption I made when I made my post, namely that the site reveals a connection between account and characters. No one can tell from that site what characters are associated with what account.

Quote Originally Posted by maxjenius View Post
    I'm waiting for the "Why do you care? What's the big deal? You got something to hide?" post.

I also like to keep my account name separate from my characters as much as possible.

Many players are sought out and harassed incessantly for no reason. It's for this reason that it would be nice if the game developers could somehow protect the player's main and alts from scrutiny that warps into obsessive compulsive hate.

No player should have to be worried that they're logging into a game where they are fodder for the hate intended at all ages.

If unscrupulous humans are so inclined to create a public website whereby others, as well as themselves, can find out all of the characters of those they seek out day-in and day-out to plummet their hate on, then those same humans can - and will - seek further how to hack into other information of the players.

It's a thought, and something the game should be involved in ending such websites, in the same way they protect their customer's personal information that they hold and assure the customer is safe, and for their eyes only.

In the same flavor, /ignores should be account wide.
    LvL 100s: Beorning, Burglar, Captain, Champ, Guardian, Hunter, Lore-Master, Minstrel, Rune-Keeper
    LvL 85: Warden, Minstrel
    All my forum posts are my opinions and may not even be that. Also On Twitter: @leixicon

If you want to find your characters on all servers go here: https://www.lotro.com/en/character_copy
    You must be signed in to view the list however.
    Progress demands development of individuality; mediocrity seeks perpetuation in standardization.

Quote Originally Posted by PlayTyme View Post
    Many players are sought out and harassed incessantly for no reason. It's for this reason that it would be nice if the game developers could somehow protect the player's main and alts from scrutiny that warps into obsessive compulsive hate.

No player should have to be worried that they're logging into a game where they are fodder for the hate intended at all ages.

If unscrupulous humans are so inclined to create a public website whereby others, as well as themselves, can find out all of the characters of those they seek out day-in and day-out to plummet their hate on, then those same humans can - and will - seek further how to hack into other information of the players.

It's a thought, and something the game should be involved in ending such websites, in the same way they protect their customer's personal information that they hold and assure the customer is safe, and for their eyes only.
    Hi! This old thread has old info. There is now no option to view characters via this main site and the old lotro alt finder site that used this data has not been up to date since the change (and had a lot of random other errors as well, with my characters being bunched up with random names - but that's another matter).

Happy gaming!