We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

Thread: Spam Avoidance

Spam Avoidance

Seeing the current Spambot posting new threads every minute please add a rate limitation on new accounts for posting new threads (not replies). Can't think of a reason why a new account would need to post more than one thread say per hour. Or get enough moderators and make first posts completely moderated. Forums are impossible to use if the first four pages of "new posts" are 95% covered with spamthreads as it is now, and seeing the situation a while ago where it took several days to resolve.

And of course double-check how these accounts are created, seems unlikely that a bot would register a game account by itself.
    Used to play: 85 Champ / Captain / Runekeeper / Guardian, Guild Master of everything but cooking.
    Playing now: Hellcat / King Tiger / GW Panther / IS / KV-5 / M4 Sherman and more

Currently the limit is 1 thread/post/search per minute I think (and I also think they share cooldown). At much as increasing the limit would decrease the amount of spam, we'd stil see the spam, just less of it.

I wonder if you could put a limit on new players so they can post an initial thread and then cannot post a new thread until someone (who is NOT a new user) has posted a reply in the initial thread.

Or have a Captcha when making a thread?
    Last edited by Elrantiri; Jan 29 2014 at 08:00 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Elrantiri View Post
    Currently the limit is 1 thread/post/search per minute I think (and I also think they share cooldown). At much as increasing the limit would decrease the amount of spam, we'd stil see the spam, just less of it.
    Sure, but at least we would no longer see full pages of spam threads in the "new posts" view so the forums would still be usable. You can never fully contain spam without complete moderation, just mitigate it.

I wonder if you could put a limit on new players so they can post an initial thread and then cannot post a new thread until someone (who is NOT a new user) has posted a reply in the initial thread.
    That might work too, or require a ratio between initial posts and replies (not counting directly subsequent posts), but I assume that's more tricky to implement (as forum admin you want to minimize software modifications).

Or have a Captcha when making a thread?
    Please no, captchas are a horrible work-around, either they're too easy and don't prevent bots or barely recognizable for humans as well (and would not help against human spammers anyway).
    Used to play: 85 Champ / Captain / Runekeeper / Guardian, Guild Master of everything but cooking.
    Playing now: Hellcat / King Tiger / GW Panther / IS / KV-5 / M4 Sherman and more