We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

War-steed agility increases tactical mastery for hunters?

So on my hunter I tend to stack agility because it translates into physical mastery. It appears, however, that stacking agility on a warsteed contributes to my tactical mastery, which doesn't help my damage output at all.

Is this working as intended? Are agility based classes supposed to stack strength on their warsteeds? Somehow this doesn't seem right.

The system is different from character stats:

War-steed Strength = Physical Mastery
    War-steed Agility = Tactical Mastery

Quote Originally Posted by Beastnas View Post
    The system is different from character stats:

War-steed Strength = Physical Mastery
    War-steed Agility = Tactical Mastery
    I understand, I'm more curious about the design decision. Other ranged classes rely on tactical mastery, so they can stack agility all day on their mounts for the acceleration and turn rate benefits, but the hunter cannot.

By having more agility, it means you can turn tighter, and better employ movement based TACTICS against your opponent like outflanking them and such.

I do understand why it can be confusing on a hunter because one name can mean two completely different things based on the context.

Just to be clear, does the war steed stat Strength increase the physical mastery of bow skills or steed skills such as trample, etc?

If I stack Strength in traits and on the bridle does it increase the damage of my bow skills?
    I'm just a simple unfrozen caveman solo player.
    Your sophisticated raiding ways confuse and frighten me.

Quote Originally Posted by ddave View Post
    Just to be clear, does the war steed stat Strength increase the physical mastery of bow skills or steed skills such as trample, etc?

If I stack Strength in traits and on the bridle does it increase the damage of my bow skills?
    Yes. Strength increases Physical Mastery for Mounted Combat.

Quote Originally Posted by GrimbleGrumble View Post
    Yes. Strength increases Physical Mastery for Mounted Combat.
    Fast forward almost 8 years to 2021...

Mounted combat maneuvering is so broken due to consistent lag that most players use war steeds only for rapid straight-line transport and just dismount for combat. SSG has stated it has no intention of creating further war steed-based content indicating that the war steed lag will never be fixed. A few end-game players (like myself) occasionally use war steed combat to farm quest drops from gray level (for them) agro areas like Minas Tirith dailies. So here's some advice from a 13-year Lotro veteran.

At character level 130, stack Mount Agility on your Bridle to the max to get the best maneuverability out of a war steed. Stack Mount Power to keep yourself mounted as long as possible through agro. Ignore all other mount stats; the bonuses they provide to a decently geared level 130 are laughable. Likely not even a 2% bonus to character phys or tact masteries. And if you really want to stay mounted, ride a Medium war steed and use the Rohirrim skill called "Sacrifice" to automatically transfer to your character all damage that would have been taken by your mount. If you're in a gray/green agro area, your own armor should completely deflect it all.

Other than Agility and Power, boosting damage legacies is the best way to go to burn your targets down as quickly as possible. That is, maximize Class Damage Over Time, then Red Dawn Direct Damage, Riddermark Direct Damage, or Rohirrim Direct Damage (whichever of the last three Disciplines you really ride to fight in most of the time). For the most part, don't bother putting points into any of the Discipline's end-cap skills (possible exception: Red Dawn's "Shields Will Be Splintered") until you really intend to focus on mounted combat which for most classes other than Hunter or Warden, given the state of mounted movement, is a mistake.

Also, don't put any points into the Fury Bonus Contribution Rating.

If you absolutely have no intention of getting into mounted combat and will use your war steed purely for transport, still do yourself a favor. Put the Agility legacy on a Medium bridle, max it out, ride through agro with the Sacrifice skill active, and see how these two simple things can make riding a war steed more bearable.
    Last edited by Daefaroth; Jan 04 2021 at 08:18 PM.