We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

How to get tons of relics and shards easily

With the introduction of T7 and T8 relics in RoI, many people were bemoaning the exponential inflation of melding/relic combine costs to get these new relics that gave only incremental advantages over previous relic tiers. This trend continues in RoR, but with an important difference: there are new T9 True melded relics that offer stat combinations that are very attractive to a lot of classes, plus melded mount relics.

The shockingly high prices to meld these T9 relics worried a lot of people, myself included. I ran a lot of content at 75 and had pretty sizable amount of relic boxes and IXP pills saved up in preparation for RoR's daunting relic/shard grind. I was also mentally preparing myself for running loads of solo Stoneheight for yet more relics, and for keeping crafted relics on cooldown to get the shards I'd need.

But, the other day, I thought I'd give something else a try: my champ's skirmish soldier had been ranked up to whatever the maximum possible was at 75, so I went ahead and bought a Skirmish Mark Refund scroll from the store and took it up to 75, winding up with about 15,000 surplus marks. If you've already got lots of skirmish marks, then you're all set. If you don't have many and don't want to spend the TP on the mark reset, you can still get a lot of marks running raid skirms (which are very popular once again).

Then, I went on to spend all 15,000 marks on sealed T1 (7 marks each) and, later, sealed T2 (18 marks each) relics from the skirmish barter. Initially I planned on deconning all of those boxes and refining right there but laziness and the lack of desire to click "Refine" tens of thousands of time got me thinking that I'd rather save time and combine relics up before refining.

Then, the math started to hit me: for T1 through T4, every time you auto-combine, you're more likely to *increase* the shard value of the relics you wind up with. For example, it takes 4 tier 3 relics (worth 9 shards each) to combine to T4 (worth 32 shards). However, I was getting *two* T4's about half the time, which averages out to a shard gain, not to mention crits that give a whole lot of extra T4's plus raw shards in the process.

The short story: spending 15k marks on sealed T1 and T2 relics netted me over 70,000 shards by combining up to T4 then refining.

Note that I DID NOT use a relic combine crit scroll to achieve these results. I also wasted a good chunk of my investment by initially refining a bunch of T1 and T2 relics instead of combining up, and later combined a lot of T4's into T5's to see if the net shard gain trend continued past T4 (it didn't appear to, as you only get 1 T5 most of the time it seems). So, you'd probably have even better results than I did if you just bought sealed T2's and combined them all up to T4 before refining.

I think buying sealed T2's is the way to go for the best mark-to-shard ratio since cracking open a sealed T2 seemed to net about as many, on average, T2 relics as cracking open a sealed T1, and the T2 relics are worth three times the shards as T1's but the sealed boxes cost less than three times a sealed T1 box. The cost for buying T3 and up seemed to go up disproportionately and probably isn't worthwhile.

Of course this *does* require a decent amount of patience and a lot of clicking, but I can't really think of a better way to amass huge quantities of shards and the T9 relics you need to make the new melded ones.
    Last edited by Gylve; Oct 24 2012 at 01:50 PM.
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0620500000019dccb/01001/signature.png]undefined[/charsig]

Ulver - 85 Runekeeper | Grevling - 85 Burglar

I don't skirmish enough to have 15,000 marks to spare.

But I do make 3 crafted relics per week (both Westfold and the small Rohan) on 10 characters and make 20,000 shards per week for little to no effort/materials.

Of course, now that skirmishing is endgame again, I may have to start running a few. Ugh.
    Work like no one is watching, dance like you don't need the money...

WTB - Combine All / Refine All buttons...

Another way to do it is to simply farm Moria for Tools/Relics. You can take them to the Class Legendary Item traders and its 1 tool per sealed t1 relic or 1 tablet per 2 t1 relics. Also if you have any Bright emblems you don't need, its 1 t2 relic per...

I have not traded them in yet, but I still have roughly 40 tools and about 30 tablets and 3 emblems... that's gotta be a decent chunk of change...
    Igie/Aridel/Dorimor/Arrion/Rivver/Aridon/Serenety/Leeloominai/Ultraviolet

Yes, I thought about that as well, but that's still only double-digit T1 relic boxes. 15,000 skirmish marks would get you 833 sealed T2 relics. Unless there's some extremely efficient way of farming those barter items, I think marks are the way to go.

Note that if you have spare seals/medallions, you can also convert these to marks (1 medallion = 3 marks, 1 seal = 2 medallions = 6 marks). I would advise against this, though, as those currencies can be used for Empowerment and Delving scrolls that are otherwise very difficult to attain and we don't currently have any reliable way of getting decent numbers of medallions and seals at level 85.
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0620500000019dccb/01001/signature.png]undefined[/charsig]

This is also practical for people who ran tons of instances at level 75 and never quite found much to spend the thousands of medallions on. I probably still have 10K+ Medallions which translates to 30K+ Marks.

Another option for obtaining high-level relics is to take LIs of level 76+ up to max and decon them. You should get several T7 and T8 relics out of them.

More options for those who are Store-phobic anyway.

The NOLDOR of Arkenstone

Quote Originally Posted by Pyroburn View Post
    Another way to do it is to simply farm Moria for Tools/Relics. You can take them to the Class Legendary Item traders and its 1 tool per sealed t1 relic or 1 tablet per 2 t1 relics. Also if you have any Bright emblems you don't need, its 1 t2 relic per...

I have not traded them in yet, but I still have roughly 40 tools and about 30 tablets and 3 emblems... that's gotta be a decent chunk of change...
    Interesting, I've never heard you could do that. I have a bunch of those left over. I used to save them for back when you could level an LI to 2 and have a chance to get T4 relics out of them. Unfortunately, that got stealth nerfed so they could sell more crit scrolls in the store.

Quote Originally Posted by Southpa View Post
    This is also practical for people who ran tons of instances at level 75 and never quite found much to spend the thousands of medallions on. I probably still have 10K+ Medallions which translates to 30K+ Marks.

Another option for obtaining high-level relics is to take LIs of level 76+ up to max and decon them. You should get several T7 and T8 relics out of them.

More options for those who are Store-phobic anyway.
    Another new thing I've learned! Is it only max level that gives T7 and T8, or can you decon them at 51?

Quote Originally Posted by Southpa View Post
    I just did that today. Took around 10millions IXP I had save up to level up a bunch of level 76+ LI to max. When you decon you get between 1 to 4-5 T7 and a bunch of T6 and T5. I then combined enough of them to get 12 tier 9 and refine the others to get 30k shards. There was probabaly some left over and I already had some relics and shards but all in all,

10M IXP + lots level76+ LI + 40-50gold + lots of clicking = 3 True Eastenmet melded relics

Quote Originally Posted by Frisco View Post
    Another new thing I've learned! Is it only max level that gives T7 and T8, or can you decon them at 51?
    My mistake, I think it's only up to T7s on decon, but still pretty good.

The returns are better the higher it's leveled and if at max it seems you get significantly better returns than if not maxed.

The NOLDOR of Arkenstone

I thought sealed T1 relics were the way to go because you crit a lot while combining? T2 are obviously good too, but T1 *should* beat that.
    Many philosophical problems are caused by such things as the simple inability to shut up.

Quote Originally Posted by Kril View Post
    WTB - Combine All / Refine All buttons...
    /signed /signed /signed
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/272180000000379b3/01007/signature.png]undefined[/charsig]

the moria tablets are great way to get loads of T1 and T1 relics - each tablet/tool you barter for the relic box - and they give like 6-10 relics. I bartered 70 tools the other night - and ended up with hundreds of T1 relics. Haven't even found time to combine them up...

Also the +76 LI decon at lvl60 is great way for getting T7 and T8 relics. So there are means now to get good relics with relative ease.
    [COLOR=yellow][charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/2521c0000001636fd/01001/signature.png]undefined[/charsig][/COLOR]
    [COLOR=yellow]Steinskaldir Bloodhand, Son of Caraorn[/COLOR] |R5 dwarf champion|
    [COLOR=yellow]Belegechtor[/COLOR] |man warden| [COLOR=yellow]Estelrian[/COLOR] |elf runekeeper|
    [URL="http://www.the-rangers.net"]The Rangers[/URL] on Laurelin (EU-RP)

Quote Originally Posted by The-Walrus View Post
    I thought sealed T1 relics were the way to go because you crit a lot while combining? T2 are obviously good too, but T1 *should* beat that.
    I'm certainly too lazy to have checked crit rates when cracking open all those sealed relics, but it seemed like I was getting a good number of crits from T2 combines as well. I could be off on this, but crit rates in either case were low enough that I think the vast majority of the shard increase simply came from getting two of the next tier on combine (on a non-crit) pretty darn often (it seemed like most of the time when going T1-T2 and T2-T3; T3-T4 seemed like half and half but that's still a net shard gain by a fair margin).

I believe the logic behind this is T1 relics=more combines=more chances to crit=win
    Many philosophical problems are caused by such things as the simple inability to shut up.

Smile Help Please on Scrolls Please anyone

Hi,

I have a level 55 bow with 3 empty upgrades stars showing, and wanted to know what scroll would be the correct one to get to level up my DPS further than rank 7? can that be done? I am confused as to the correct scroll to level that further. So many scrolls out there I want to be sure..lol.. any help would be appreciated!!! Thank you

Wildwindfire the op is suggesting an optimal strategy for creating one of materials used in crafting relics. The empty slots you are referring to are starlit crystals, these are rare drops from skirmishes, increased likelihood based on size and difficulty of skirmish. Scrolls of delving, empowerment, high tier relics and starlit crystals are oriented toward people at level cap grind on items that they will be using for a relatively long time. At your level I suggest maxing dps legacy using low level tier relics on your li and look to replace them relatively often. Apply legendary titles to your legendary items using scrolls obtained from completing the dolven view instances. Ignore the other features at this stage the time and effort required are not worth it due to the speed that you will out level them. You can trade for li using rusted dwarf tools and khazdul tablets, these drop abundantly in moria.

Quote Originally Posted by The-Walrus View Post
    It does. I tried this tonight and spend around 5000 marks on fused T1 relics; about two bags full of them. I then proceeded to have them deconstructed and this gave me about 11000 T1 relics. Then the combining began. I spent around three hours combining those things. I took breaks from time to time to try and avoid RSI. The combining of the relics up to T4 gave me around 3000 shards. Then I had to refine the T4 relics. This gave me around 26000 shards and possibly that RSI I tried to avoid before.

I don't think I will try this anytime soon with 5000 marks again. Not even when I'm extremely bored.

That's why you use scripting programs to automate mouse clicking :P

I just spent 120g manually combining what relics I had on my 3 chars and the results are pretty pathetic. 6xT9 on capt, 4xT9 on rk, and 15xT9 on lm. 70k shards in barter wallet. This will cost me a lot to get my LIs sorted out... yuck

Interesting concept to get lots of shards real quick.

I will consider trying this when im online later

this could be a useful gold earner if you can get enough shards from it and barter for the riddermark delving and empowerment scrolls then sell them on the AH

only problem is 70k shards will only get you about 6-7 empowerment scrolls so perhaps going to the t5 relics might be more efficient as 6-7 empowerment scrolls on the ah will probably only just cover your combine costs with not much profit gained i suspect

i will see how much marks i can get this weekend to experiment with and will look at crunching the numbers to see what i can get with them if i get bored waiting for hybold to reset its dailies
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/08207000000019762/01007/signature.png]Tarthaliondor[/charsig]

Well, the pattern seems to be that the shard equivalency of whatever you're combining is actually *higher* than what you end up with, so you'd lose shards by combining relics except for the fact that, up to T4 anyway, you get 2 of the higher tier relics on combine often enough to make it worthwhile. I didn't get a huge sample size, but it seemed to me like going from T4-T5 showed a substantial decline in the number of times you get 2 relics after a combine, so you might not gain shards at all going from T4 to T5 and might in fact lose shards. Also, the gold cost of relic combines goes up and up, so if you're trying to turn your shards into gold you definitely wouldn't want to go to T5's as you start spending not-insubstantial amounts of money doing the relic combines.

I usually go for the t4 and combine up to t6 then refine and I also do all crafted relics on 6 of my toons
    “A single dream is more powerful than a thousand realities.” -???

Thumbs up thoughts

I may have missed something on the skirmish reset component. I, too, reset my skirmish soldier on my champ when I reached level 85. However, upon respending those points (to acquire another fully maxed herbalist) I didn't see any *return*. The cost from going from a maxed soldier from 75 to 85 (whatever the comprable solider number sare) was about the same 14k marks I received. Having said that -- I consider it a worthwhile investment, since (in effect) i spent exactly 97 additional marks from when I started to get a newly fully ranked up herbalist.

On to the topic of shard generation via marks. I agree wholeheartedly with the original poster and the methodology for acquiring shards. While MUCH more manual work -- your ratio to return (accounting for crits) *IS* better to start at T1 relics. But this can take a great amount of time. I recommend the skirmish camp in Lothlorien (which is exceedingly close to the relic/forge master). Barter for T1, combine, then T4 is the best place to refine for shards from my experience. This is, however, grueling and time consuming.

A couple of other tips/hints that we've discussed. You may have left-over T6 "grandfathered" relics from when the original higher T relics went away. I had several that I've held onto (and still use the adamant gem of dreams). If you are combining, check the refine prices of the T6 relics before your start. You can tell which ones are old becase they have a hire make into shard value than the normal ones. I've gone ahead and refined (those I don't plan on using) those into shards to avoid the accidentaly mistake of auto combining at T6.

Lastly -- the crafted relics refine well. As do the Moors relics.

Relic Combine Analysis

Experiment Phase One - Skirmish Marks to Tier 1 Relics then Combine and Refine Technique

First the Obvious Disclaimer:

I didn't use the Relic Combine Scroll from the Turbine Store and your Results may vary as there is no way to predict the number of Crits you may get which would obviously effect the end results.

Summary of Data:

- Starting with empty inventory of relics from Tiers 1-9
    - Obtained 1,000 Fused Bronze Relics from the legendary item vendor at a skirmish camp (wanted a decent sample size)
    - Deconstructed all 1,000 Fused Bronze Relics
    - Result was 15,098 Tier 1 Relics
    - Total cost to take Tier 1 Relics to Tier 9 = 77 Gold & 912 Silver (includes deconstruct cost)
    - Total Skirmish Mark Cost = 7,000 Skirmish Marks
    - Total Bonus Shards gained = 8,521 Shards
    - Total Tier 9 Relics obtained from 15,098 Tier 1 Relics = 7
    - Deconstruct Cost = 780 Silver

Summary for Each Step

Tier 1 to Tier 2:

- Shard Gain if Refine at Tier 1 = 15,098
    - Tier 2 Relics Obtained = 6,206
    - Cost to go from Tier 1 to Tier 2 = 6 Gold & 38 silver

Tier 2 to Tier 3:

- Shards Obtained from Tier 1 to Tier 2 Crits = 1,105
    - Tier 3 Relics Obtained = 2,861
    - Shard Gain Ignoring Crit Results if Refine at Tier 2 = 18,618
    - Cost to go from Tier 2 to Tier 3 = 7 Gold & 755 Silver

Tier 3 to Tier 4:

- Shards Obtained from Tier 2 to Tier 3 Crits = 1,263
    - Tier 4 Relics Obtained = 1,050
    - Shard Gain Ignoring Crit Results if Refine at Tier 3 = 25,749
    - Cost to go from Tier 3 to Tier 4 = 9 Gold & 295 Silver

Tier 4 to Tier 5:

- Shards Obtained from Tier 3 to Tier 4 Crits = 1,561
    - Tier 5 Relics Obtained = 531
    - Shard Gain Ignoring Crit Results if Refine at Tier 4 = 33,600
    - Cost to go from Tier 4 to Tier 5 = 11 Gold & 200 Silver

Tier 5 to Tier 6:

- Shards Obtained from Tier 4 to Tier 5 Crits = 1,840
    - Tier 6 Relics Obtained = 206
    - Shard Gain Ignoring Crit Results if Refine at Tier 5 = 41,949
    - Cost to go from Tier 5 to Tier 6 = 14 Gold & 514 Silver

Tier 6 to Tier 7:

- Shards Obtained from Tier 5 to Tier 6 Crits = 1,187
    - Tier 7 Relics Obtained = 69
    - Shard Gain Ignoring Crit Results if Refine at Tier 6 = 39,552
    - Cost to go from Tier 6 to Tier 7 = 13 Gold & 940 Silver

Tier 7 to Tier 8:

- Shards Obtained from Tier 6 to Tier 7 Crits = 929
    - Tier 8 Relics Obtained = 23
    - Shard Gain Ignoring Crit Results if Refine at Tier 7 = 26,496
    - Cost to go from Tier 7 to Tier 8 = 9 Gold & 430 Silver

Tier 8 to Tier 9:

- Shards Obtained from Tier 7 to Tier 8 Crits = 636
    - Tier 9 Relics Obtained = 7
    - Shard Gain Ignoring Crit Results if Refine at Tier 8 = 17,664
    - Cost to go from Tier 8 to Tier 9 = 5 Gold & 740 Silver

Tier 9:

- Shards Obtained from Tier 8 to Tier 9 Crits = 0
    - Shard Gain Ignoring Crit Results if Refine at Tier 9 = 10,752

Basic Relic Forge Data:

Cost to Combine Once at Each Tier:

- Tier 1 = 2 Silver and 5 Tier 1 Relics
    - Tier 2 = 5 Silver and 4 Tier 2 Relics
    - Tier 3 = 13 Silver and 4 Tier 3 Relics
    - Tier 4 = 32 Silver and 3 Tier 4 Relics
    - Tier 5 = 82 Silver and 3 Tier 5 Relics
    - Tier 6 = 205 Silver and 3 Tier 6 Relics
    - Tier 7 = 410 Silver and 3 Tier 7 Relics
    - Tier 8 = 820 Silver and 3 Tier 8 Relics

Conclusions:

From the above data I can conclude that if you are trying to get the most shards for your relics when going from Tier 1 Relics that you get the most in the Tier 4 to Tier 5 range, if you're not getting lucky with the crits then its best to stop at Tier 4 and Refine into shards but if you are getting a good amount of crits then going to Tier 5 may yield better results.

Going higher than Tier 5 is not beneficial if trying to get shards, it can be useful to allow you to get Tier 8 and 9 Relics but you need a lot of them so it's best to stick to more traditional means of getting these such as skirmish raids and warbands to get the higher tier relic packs and then do some quick combines to upgrade them from there.

If combining past Tier 5 either for shards or the higher Tier Relics and you are using the method of get lots of Tier 1 Relics to work from then it may be useful to invest in the Relic Combine Scroll from the Turbine Store if you have the points for it.

However given the amount of Tier 1 Relics this experiment used it is not cost effective to use the Relic Combine Scroll below Tier 5 due to the high cost for it on the Turbine Store.

Other means of Shard Farming would be making Crafted Relics then Refining them down to shards on a weekly basis, I don't currently have the numbers to see how effective this would be compared to the above data but may in the future do a comparison experiment for the Crafted Relics as well.

\\\

Edit Note 1 = Forgot to include the number of Relics I obtained at each step, have now included the relevant numbers
    Edit Note 2 = Generated a naming convention for this experiment to link future experiment in with this one

\\\
    Last edited by NZCrusader; Oct 29 2012 at 08:30 AM. Reason: Some Detail Missing from Origional Post
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/08207000000019762/01007/signature.png]Tarthaliondor[/charsig]

Experiment Phase Two - Crafted Relics for One Week then Refine into Shards Technique

Notes:

- I have confirmed that the Crafted Mounted Relics yield the same amount of shards as the Non-Mounted Equivalent
    - I have not listed the raw materials to craft each relic except the special ingredient as these will vary between the different craft professions
    - Time frames are based on a 7 day time frame starting at the moment the server dailies reset on any given day (3 am EST)
    - For ease of doing the experiment I have chosen the following naming convention for the Relics (Purple = Tier 1, Teal = Tier 2, Gold = Tier 3)
    - Experiment Data is based on not having any Crafted Relics already made or in inventory
    - Experiment is based on a single characters ability to craft, Alt's are not included in the data
    - Experiment is based on being lv85 with ability to craft all crafted relics available for that characters crafting profession to Lv85
    - No Westfold and Eastemnet Tier 2 Recipes exist in game at time of this Experiment

Results Summary:

- Total of 18 Relics can be crafted in the 7 day time frame
    - Total Shards per week = 4,356

Data Breakdown:

Reset Time on Each Crafted Relic Barter Item Recipe:

- Supreme Tier 1 = 18 Hours
    - Supreme Tier 2 = 2 Days and 18 Hours
    - Supreme Tier 3 = 6 Days and 18 Hours
    - Westfold Tier 1 = 2 Days and 18 Hours
    - Westfold Tier 3 = 6 Days and 18 Hours
    - Eastemnet Tier 1 = 2 Days and 18 Hours
    - Eastemnet Tier 3 = 6 Days and 18 Hours

Amount of Each Relic you can Craft in a Week:

- Supreme Tier 1 = 9
    - Supreme Tier 2 = 2
    - Supreme Tier 3 = 1
    - Westfold Tier 1 = 2
    - Westfold Tier 3 = 1
    - Eastemnet Tier 1 = 2
    - Eastemnet Tier 3 = 1

Special Ingredients:

Compendium of Middle-Earth Volume 1 - Moria, Anazarmekhem, 13.3S by 108.1W
    Compendium of Middle-Earth Volume 2 - Mirkwood, Ost Galadh, 14.5S by 51.5W
    Compendium of Middle-Earth Volume 3 - Dunland, Galtrev, 80.2S by 16.8W
    Compendium of Middle-Earth Volume 4 - East Rohan, Hybold, 57.9S by 55.0W

Compendiums are obtained by doing a daily quest which means you can obtain a maximum of 7 of each type per week if you don't use the AH, other players or Alts to get more.

Exception is you could get Compendium Volume 1 through 3 from the Skirmish Camp but for the purpose of this experiment I am assuming that this was not done.

Shards Granted for Refining Each Level of Crafted Relic Once:

- Supreme Tier 1 = 64
    - Supreme Tier 2 = 158
    - Supreme Tier 3 = 384
    - Westfold Tier 1 = 258
    - Westfold Tier 3 = 774
    - Eastemnet Tier 1 = 358
    - Eastemnet Tier 3 = 1,074
    - Total Shards Gained = 3,070

Shards Granted for Refining the Weeks Worth of Crafted Relics:

- Supreme Tier 1 = 576
    - Supreme Tier 2 = 316
    - Supreme Tier 3 = 384
    - Westfold Tier 1 = 516
    - Westfold Tier 3 = 774
    - Eastemnet Tier 1 = 716
    - Eastemnet Tier 3 = 1,074
    - Total Shards Gained = 4,228

Conclusion:

The above method is a useful way to supplement your Shard income and if combined with many Alt's then could yield a large sum of Shards.

It is also far less costly on Gold Reserves than the method described in Experiment Phase One.

If using a single character however although more expensive if your primary goal is to make Shards then the method in Experiment Phase One is so far the most efficient.

\\\

Edit Note 1 = Corrected a data error in the results, Credit to Lotro Forum User Ingion for pointing out that you can make 9 Supreme Tier 1 Crafted Relics a week as they don't require the Compendiums of Middle-Earth to make them and for pointing out that you can get the Compendiums of Middle-Earth Volumes 1 through 3 from the Skirmish Camp

\\\
    Last edited by NZCrusader; Oct 29 2012 at 10:42 PM. Reason: Corrected a Data Error

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast