We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Hytbold sets.

Hytbold sets.

What are your thoughts on the new Hytbold sets and their bonuses. I am nearly done with the healing set and it seems to me to be the most thought out of the three. +5% vocal/melee healing is a great help, and the return of (a more powerful) rally cry/valiant strike synergy is something I very much look forward to.

That said, I can't be the only one who thinks the other sets have fallen way short of their potential. For the red-line captain I don't really get why they have the +5% to revealing mark. A red-line captain is rare enough to come by or allowed in a group and would be taken, presumably, for their 10% dmg buff. Making the dps line increasing healing of a mark dps Captain's aren't used to using will be ...interesting, especially as there is an entire major legacy dedicated to it.

For the tanking sets. 10% grave wound dmg. I don't really get this because Shadows Lament is our giant aggro magnet, so wouldn't it make sense putting the 10% dmg (and therefore 10% boost to massive threat) on this skill? TO be fair I don't think out single target tanking needs help, noble mark and cutting/grave/ shadows lament are all strong single-target treat generating/holding abilities. We could use help in the aoe threat department as our threat here is mostly 'forced' threat, which has an expiration date.

What I'd like to see? +threat to pressing attack for groups of mobs. Perhaps turn cutting / grave wound into a 3-target ability (we are swinging a giant, sharp thing after all, wouldn't it make sense to hit more than 1 thing). The evade rating is an interesting ability to sure strike, which as we know boosts our mitigation already.

Thoughts?

I could see cases when the 5% extra heals would be nice even in a DPSing stance. Revealing is usually my go-to mark when soloing more difficult content, and usually if I'm soloing I'm red line. I did also enjoy having the extra 5% in groups with two captains (any raid), and without a fourth neutral set (ie Draigoch set) putting it on the DPS set was probably the best choice of the three.

I totally agree with you on the tanking set though. That's probably one of the more odd choices they could have made for that. I do really like the idea for +threat to Pressing Attack too, that would make an interesting bonus. (And on your note of AoE threat, how well is the BoE boost to Threatening Shout working out?)
    Last edited by TinDragon; Oct 23 2012 at 07:31 AM.

the dps set is pretty useless, 10% added dmg to SL isnt gonna do much for my dps, and 5% return to moral will be good if im healing a 3man in ltc, but for soloplay there is not much need for revealing mark. if i could get 5% morall from telling mark tho.

i will probably be sticking to my dagoras set until we get a new instance cluster.

A red-line captain is rare enough to come by or allowed in a group and would be taken
    I thought red-line (crit-cry) was becoming more and more the standard towards the end of RoI. It seems that captains will never be intended to be a dps class. The increase to revealing mark is more or less a way to heal more through increasing the percentage returned while also boosting group dps (Blade Brother).

Now that Valiant Strike heals no matter what line you're running I think red-line healing is in a better place than it was before.

My thoughts:
    red = group healing
    blue = single target healing

Based on that both red and blue sets work nicely. Yellow?.....

IMO:

HoH captains will use 3 draigoch + 3 perseverance
    solo MoW captains will use 3 dagor + 3 perseverance
    Raid captains will use 5 command set
    Tanking captains can use skirm pieces with high vit, cause only mabye champs will roll on it.

From my point of view Hytbold sets are mostly big failure, only 3 piece set bonus on Healer set could be useful. For me pointless grind. I will take 3 Healer pieces and then solely focus on pvp. Not to mention that with new raid there will be also new armours. So everyone should consider this.

I like Hytbolt Healer because the bonuses are useful in all situations instead of more limited.

Also it gives about 1500 more tact mastery, better for mounted cries. I hope they add more difficult mounted stuff to make that point valid.

New instances you'll want 85 gear to do challenges to get new sets which will likely be side-grades more than upgrades.

PvP sets are nice too, but I can't take very much pvp these days before I get annoyed.

The Revealing Mark bonus on Hytbold Armour of the Charge is actually really good for when you have multiple Captains in a group. A lot of raids run with two Captains, and any raid leader who complains about an LtC Captain since Isengard simply isn't paying attention.

The only raid I haven't successfully run in LtC is Saruman. (Of the T2s, I've only done Lightning. I suspect it's doable in LtC, but I didn't take a real shot at it prior to RoR.) And I don't even have the Perseverance set that makes LtC a healing powerhouse.

But anyway, all of the Hytbold sets are fine. But they're just fine. The real problem with Hytbold Armour of the Charge is that it doesn't have the Shadow's Lament cooldown reduction that's on Dagor. But even with that, I can see 3 Charge/3 Dagor being a valid choice for non-PvP Captains. (Kind of like Draigoch/Mene, but for DPS this time.)

Personally, until we find out more about the forthcoming instance cluster, I'm just going to work on the Hytbold Leader set. Why? Because the only character stats that matter for Mounted Combat are Morale and Power. Hytbold Leader has a lot of Morale, and Red Dawn/Riddermark both provide a ton of power restoration. Yeah, I know, there aren't any real challenges in Mounted Combat right now, but I wouldn't be surprised if some show up in Update 9.
    Last edited by furtim; Oct 23 2012 at 10:42 AM.
    Cainwen Ciaphas, Captain of Crickhollow, HERO OF MIDDLE EARTH!!!
    I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed, or numbered! My opinions are my own!

Quote Originally Posted by Emachine View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Redvers View Post
    A red-line captain is rare enough to come by or allowed in a group and would be taken]
    I thought red-line (crit-cry) was becoming more and more the standard towards the end of RoI.
    I do believe that it is becoming more the norm than it was in say Mirkwood, but based on the tons of random inspections that I do, I'd say most Brandywine captains still run HoH. Which might explain Redvers' quote there.

The Hytbold Healer set bonuses are pretty good. I'll probably never use the 5-set for Hytbold Healer just because it precludes using Perseverance, but it's still fairly respectable. I'll likely find some way to work 3-set Hytbold Healer into my builds, probably as a base set of armor that I would swap from to use certain skills.

Same goes for Hytbold Charge. I don't have room for the 5-set in my build; I can't swap around armor or the Reveal Mark will revert to 15%. But the 3-set might be useful.

Quote Originally Posted by Redvers View Post
    For the tanking sets. 10% grave wound dmg. I don't really get this because Shadows Lament is our giant aggro magnet, so wouldn't it make sense putting the 10% dmg (and therefore 10% boost to massive threat) on this skill? TO be fair I don't think out single target tanking needs help, noble mark and cutting/grave/ shadows lament are all strong single-target treat generating/holding abilities. We could use help in the aoe threat department as our threat here is mostly 'forced' threat, which has an expiration date.

What I'd like to see? +threat to pressing attack for groups of mobs. Perhaps turn cutting / grave wound into a 3-target ability (we are swinging a giant, sharp thing after all, wouldn't it make sense to hit more than 1 thing). The evade rating is an interesting ability to sure strike, which as we know boosts our mitigation already.
    Yeah the tanking set bonuses do not impress me. You'll likely see me tank in 4-5 Hytbold Leader just for the upgraded stats, plus Helm of Lost Hoardes or Captain Brackenbrook's War-helm (haven't decided which).

Our single-target is a lot better than our AoE, that's for sure. However, even that wasn't quite adequate in late RoI when matched up against 1st age DPS. I second the +threat to pressing attack, and I would go so far as to say couple +threat to devastating blow too. The two skills are mutually exclusive, after all.

Quote Originally Posted by furtim View Post
    Personally, until we find out more about the forthcoming instance cluster, I'm just going to work on the Hytbold Leader set. Why? Because the only character stats that matter for Mounted Combat are Morale and Power. Hytbold Leader has a lot of Morale, and Red Dawn/Riddermark both provide a ton of power restoration. Yeah, I know, there aren't any real challenges in Mounted Combat right now, but I wouldn't be surprised if some show up in Update 9.
    I don't think that's true. Mastery matters, as it affects your shouts. Why else would certain Red Dawn perks and Warsteed Agility raise your own personal tactical mastery?

i disagree with so much you said, i dont know where to begin. so, that is my only thought for now.

Quote Originally Posted by Omen_Kaizer View Post
    I don't think that's true. Mastery matters, as it affects your shouts. Why else would certain Red Dawn perks and Warsteed Agility raise your own personal tactical mastery?
    Are you sure? I'll have to check this later, but I was fairly certain that your War-steed's mastery is affected only by War-Steed Strength and mounted traits. I don't think your character's mastery ratings have anything to do with mounted damage.
    I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed, or numbered! My opinions are my own!

The only raid I haven't successfully run in LtC is Saruman. (Of the T2s, I've only done Lightning. I suspect it's doable in LtC, but I didn't take a real shot at it prior to RoR.) And I don't even have the Perseverance set that makes LtC a healing powerhouse.
    I have done Saruman in LtC and there wasn't much of a noticable difference. However, I don't think I could have gotten away with that in any of the T2 runs we did. Lightning T2 would probably be possible with the correct armour (3 dagor/perseverance I think it was?) but I can't see it working for F&F (lots of people taking damage everywhere) or Acid zerg (at least with our strategy, we only had one mini and one cappy for heals).

With Valiant Strike now putting out a decent heal traited red though, I bet it'll be more viable, or at the very least more acceptable.

3 dagor/3 moors 6 rallying cry cd, still best for pve while traited red if u guys doubt I can elaborate on my statement.

Actually if you compare the Hytbold Leader stats to the Tognir stats, Hytbold Leader only adds a total of 259 morale over Tognir (inc. morale from Vit). Tact Mit is increased by 746, Resistance by 448, and Inc Healing by 469.

Whereas if you look at the Hytbold Healer vs Menestaid, the Hytbold Healer increases Tact Mastery by 2,084, Crit Rating by 1,234, and Power by 748 over Menestaid, a much better jump in stats, imo.

Are you sure? I'll have to check this later, but I was fairly certain that your War-steed's mastery is affected only by War-Steed Strength and mounted traits. I don't think your character's mastery ratings have anything to do with mounted damage.
    I'm certain. Take your cloak off or something. The tooltip damage on your skills will go down.

I'll do that the next time I get a chance to play, which might not be for a few days.

Meanwhile, it looks like there might be another set of alternatives to the Hytbold gear. It turns out that there are single-use recipes which crit for incomparable (gold) tier armour!

I'll do that the next time I get a chance to play, which might not be for a few days.

Meanwhile, it looks like there might be another set of alternatives to the Hytbold gear. It turns out that there are single-use recipes which crit for incomparable (gold) tier armour!
    For the low, low price of 150g on my server!!!!!!

Side-by-side the gold helm isn't as good as the Hytbold Healer helm (in my opinion). It has slightly more crit and p. mastery, but Hytbold has slightly higher might, a chunk of extra morale and can be part of a set for a bonus. I think the shoulders may be the ultimate gold piece of armour, but I've only seen it the once and can't recall the stats.

Quote Originally Posted by Omen_Kaizer View Post
    I'm certain. Take your cloak off or something. The tooltip damage on your skills will go down.
    I was able to get on for a bit last night, and Omen is correct. Your character's mastery ratings do affect mounted combat damage. So, I have to take back some of what I said up-thread. :P

That said, the effect isn't as dramatic as it is unmounted, since we all get additional mastery rating from the war-steed stats and mounted traits. But, your character's armour does affect your mounted damage, so it needs to be taken into account after all.

I was able to get on for a bit last night, and Omen is correct. Your character's mastery ratings do affect mounted combat damage. So, I have to take back some of what I said up-thread. :P

That said, the effect isn't as dramatic as it is unmounted, since we all get additional mastery rating from the war-steed stats and mounted traits. But, your character's armour does affect your mounted damage, so it needs to be taken into account after all.
    That there in the second paragraph seems to be true, as the more mastery we get, the less relative difference a little more makes.
    On the topic of character stats in MC, seems to me that, while our ICPR is useful because mounted skills do cost us power, my little bit of 1000+ ICPR is more than enough to handle the low character power cost of my mounted skills. Except, for Heavy steed Ride for Ruin which obligates me to pot or spam Rally the Riders.

finaly broke down and got 3 pieces of the red set and took it out for a spin in helegrod today, had to swap out the boots before the boss due to lack of durability.
    and again i have to &&&&& and whine about the set bonuses, they dont help with my, or my groups dps.
    sure the stats look nice, but the upgrade is minimal compared to the ToO Dagor set.

havent looked at the tanking set, but is it also plagued by very low durability?

Quote Originally Posted by EazyPeazy View Post
    IMO:

HoH captains will use 3 draigoch + 3 perseverance
    solo MoW captains will use 3 dagor + 3 perseverance
    Raid captains will use 5 command set
    Tanking captains can use skirm pieces with high vit, cause only mabye champs will roll on it.

From my point of view Hytbold sets are mostly big failure, only 3 piece set bonus on Healer set could be useful. For me pointless grind. I will take 3 Healer pieces and then solely focus on pvp. Not to mention that with new raid there will be also new armours. So everyone should consider this.
    Spot on. Hytbold sets are only worth considering if you cannot be bothered to get the sets Eazy proposed above.
    The low durability is laughable and the increases in stats compared to 75 gear is not enough to warrant the set bonuses.

Dagor makes every Blade of Elendil give -4s to Shadows Lament cooldown, and with 3 Perservance as well you can get Shadows Lament down to 13s cooldown almost every time. With 5 pieces of Hytbold Charge you're stuck with 30s cooldown on Shadows Lament. Thus with Dagor you can have about double as many DB/PA from Shadows Lament, and I prefer that way more than +10% damage on Shadows Lament.

Draigoch 3-set gives you -5s cd on Valiant Strike for every ally healed with Rallying Cry. That allows you to keep up Valiant Strike HoT almost permanently (depending on defeat events of course), and I'd say that's at least comparable with +5% healing. If you then bring the OD set into the mix, the Draigoch set becomes way, way better than the Hytbold set.

EDIT: Yeh ok, Hytbold set might be worth considering for Mounted Combat as the set bonuses of Perservance, Dagor and Draigoch do not help there. However, Mounted Combat is so easy at the moment I cannot be bothered with getting armor just for that.

Quote Originally Posted by Dinge View Post
    finaly broke down and got 3 pieces of the red set and took it out for a spin in helegrod today, had to swap out the boots before the boss due to lack of durability.
    and again i have to &&&&& and whine about the set bonuses, they dont help with my, or my groups dps.
    sure the stats look nice, but the upgrade is minimal compared to the ToO Dagor set.

havent looked at the tanking set, but is it also plagued by very low durability?
    It looks every Heavy Armour (I saw Captain and Guardians) has low durability. Around 30 to 40 max.
    This is really an epic fail, as Turbine doesn't even fix it. Medium Armours has 60 durability while Captains and also Guardians (maybe Champions too) has a maximum of 40.

About the set bonuses, I'm using the Red-line.. I agree those bonus aren't the big deal.. they can help a lot, but I think this Revealing Mark bonus could be +10% instead of only +5% (Draigoch set). I see that those sets are a temporary upgrade, as when they release the instance cluster (maybe in December) they will release even better sets and maybe better cloaks too (Draig Cloaks seems to be the best yet), so, all we can do is to wait. I didn't liked the set bonuses alot, they could have done a little more in them. But I hope in this instance cluster they make sets comparable to ToO when Isengard was released (the big deal)

Most of the sets have left me feeling a bit flat.... I'm really not liking the overall drop in vitality I've noticed with the Hytbold sets when compared against ToO and Draigoch armor.

As far as the sets go, I'm going to end up with all three sets, (it makes for some high points as I grind out Hytbold). HoH set is going to get used a lot with mounted combat on a light steed - and main healing - while LtC is probably going to be the primary instancing set. LoM is (most likely) going to vaulted until I start messing around with tanking again.
    Maley Oakensage, Captain of Elendilmir

Alas Elendilmir, may you *jingle jangle* forever in the Forgotten West

To be honest, I don't know if I will even grind for any of these pieces. The only set that I see being useful is the 5 piece red set for +5% revealing mark damage return. For skirmishes, the three piece perserverance set is amazing because of the defeat skills with 6 second rallying cry. The other useful set is the five piece command set for extra +10% damage. Captains are in a position now where they have to PvP to PvE.

My priority right now is to grind for the 5 piece command set and use the new golden helm. This will be my raid set up for new instance cluster. I will also get the 5 red Hytbold set, this will be useful for the new raid cluster as well. I have given up even trying to contribute any DPS to raids on my captain, I now have HPS as my main stat showing. I have been playing my hunter a lot more since this update.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast