We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

Are 85 level First Age weapons garbage?

Hello,
    I just found out that a 86 level 3rd Age bow is better than my 85 level FA bow....and a 85 level purple weapon drop from an instance is better than my FA 85 level axe :....-(
    I put a lot of work into my weapons and was pretty proud of them but now I am so disappointed that I could just throw them out!!

Can somebody please explain to me why it is like that? It feels like a total ripoff to me :-(

Thanks

Yes, there is a problem.
    A quick comparison of a few LIs 75/76, 85/86, 95/96 =>

The reason behind is that someone thought it was a good idea to raise the item levels of new (introduced with HD or later) items of lvl 85+ by 40.
    That means that the lvl 85 FA has item level 102 (TA = 96, SA = 99), while a lvl 86 TA has item level 140, instead of 99 or 100 what you would expect based on the other trends.
    ~Dwarrowdelf (Bomb Squad)~
    Freeps: Vulcwen (R8 LM), Vulciel (lvl 100 RK), and some lower level alts.. Creep: Shadowweb (R6 spider)
    My ideas on how LM should be: [url=https://www.lotro.com/forums/showthread.php?543323-LM-revamp-reconsidered]LM Revamp reconsidered[/url]

Quote Originally Posted by Galwing View Post
    Hello,
    I just found out that a 86 level 3rd Age bow is better than my 85 level FA bow....and a 85 level purple weapon drop from an instance is better than my FA 85 level axe :....-(
    I put a lot of work into my weapons and was pretty proud of them but now I am so disappointed that I could just throw them out!!

Can somebody please explain to me why it is like that? It feels like a total ripoff to me :-(

Thanks
    Because all the level 86+ gear is ridiculously overpowered compared to older gear. ( The drops from scaled instances are scaled down versions of level 100 gear, so they are also just as overpowered compared to other gear at level 1-85.)

The reason? When Helm's Deep was released Turbine wanted to give people a reason to seek out the new gear. They succeded a little too well.

Quote Originally Posted by ertr View Post
    Because all the level 86+ gear is ridiculously overpowered compared to older gear. ( The drops from scaled instances are scaled down versions of level 100 gear, so they are also just as overpowered compared to other gear at level 1-85.)

The reason? When Helm's Deep was released Turbine wanted to give people a reason to seek out the new gear. They succeded a little too well.
    Thank you very much for your explanation!! The whole thing still doesn't make any sense, it definitely IS a rip off!! But at least I sure won't make the same mistake again...lesson learned!!

Thanks again!

Perhaps hold on to your lower level legendaries for a few weeks, until the producers letter is published, hopefully containing some info on the upcoming 'imbue'-system, which supposedly locks your LI in its current state, and finally leveling with you. Also supposedly it might be that this will work on non-lvl100 LI's too..