We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

New Dye Colors Suggestions

So I posted something very similar on the beta forums, but it was a bit late in the cycle and perhaps not under consideration. Thought I'd post it under general suggestions, now.

It would be great if we could get new dye color recipes for scholars... anywhere from T6 to T8. All of those tiers are sorely lacking dyes... and people *love* dyes. They sell well on both servers I play on Live. And they're my favorite thing to craft on my scholar.

There are several colors off the top of my head that I can think of:

Rohan Green (called so because of the green in the RoI pre-order cosmetic, specifically shoulders)
    It's the green that looks suspiciously like a grey but is still a green. It's a great color!

Brown
    It's not the lighter umber. It's just a nice, basic dark brown... a basic color we've been missing for a while.
    Edit: Implemented as Walnut Brown with HD! Or so it seems. They look very close.

Peach
    This is a really nice color that we really cannot recreate with any of dyes at the moment (rose *sometimes* looks peach-ish on some items, but this is pretty uncommon).

Lavender
    Sometimes violet dyes really light. Sometimes it does not. This is for the times it does not- a nice, neutralized lavender.

Dark purple (Perhaps call it 'Moria Purple'. Because it's dark, like Moria is dark)
    This is for the times that violet just isn't dark enough, and regular purple is just way, way too bright for your needs.

Dark (steel) blue
    'But wait, Laire,' you say, 'we already have four blue colors in the game!' Yes, we do, three that are labeled 'blue', too; two of them are very vibrant and not at all neutralized and one is more teal/turquoise than blue (sea blue). The only neutralized blue we have is navy, and that dye ranges from very light to very dark. This dye is for when you want dark.
    Edit: Implemented with u13! Huzzah!

Sky blue
    As mentioned above, we already have four blues in game. None of them are light blue (sea blue is not light... and more green than blue...). Anyways, a light blue would be appreciated by many.

Light grey/silver
    Grey, when it was added, was an awesome addition to the color palate of the dyes in this game. But sometimes it is just too dark. To match the gold color we have in this game, let's add a lighter grey- a silver.

A kin mate of mine insisted that we also need a 'plaid' dye. I'll leave that open to your imagination.
    Last edited by Laire; Apr 19 2014 at 05:12 AM.

RIP ELENDILMIR • Jingle Jangle
    Landroval
    : LAERLIN (Bio + Drawings) • LAERWEN • OLORIEL • AETHELIND (Bio + Drawing) • NETHAEL

Guild Wars 2 has 400 colours and each of the item has 2-4 sections that can be dyed separtely.

Dear Turbine, please tak it into heart and improve the whole dye system!

/signed

I have been wishing for another 'brown' color for the longest time! I think silver would be great especially for Gondorian outfit themes. As for the rest, being so obsessed with cosmetics the more colors the better I say!

/definitely signed
    Today is a good day for Pie.

Do not meddle in the affairs of Burglars, for they are subtle and quick to shank you.

I know there's a lot of green dyes already- but I'd like to see Pine-green as a dye (think it's only available as a house wall colouring at present).

Agreed!

I would love to see some improvements to the cosmetic dye system, also. First, I agree with more colors, like the Rohan green, and a nice chocolate brown. So many times, I would love a nice chocolate brown! I also am a little disappointed that on some items, all you can dye is the trim, and that hardly shows up. I would love to see a system that allows up to dye the main part of the item 1 color, and the trim another color. This would add some more customization, as its kind of embarrassing to show up to a concert in the exact same dress as 3 other people. I would also love to have the option of "Washing" the dye color from an item, say from the lotro store. I love the Traveller's Hood, but its olive, and its REALLY tough to dye a color and have it match the other pieces in that outfit. Anyways...that is my 2 cents!
    /signed

I see it either two ways- (1) more dye colours or (2) have main and secondary dye areas. While (2) would be difficult to make possible on old armour/cosmetics it would certainly allow for greater customisation and variety!
    Lasswen -Elendilmir Hunter
    ~The wind is full of a thousand voices~
    No Whole Bard

/signed with a flourish

The light grey and sky blue would be my top two desires, followed closely by steel blue. But all the colors you suggest are quite lovely. A good rich brown that didn't fade out when applying it to an outfit would be very useful for armour.

Also /signed for a better system overall that allows shades of the same color, clothing with multiple separate dye zones, etc.

Walnut brown was cool to see, but I was actually really thrilled to see steel blue actually added in the game. Not as thrilled with how it was, but anyhow, thanks for adding a dye color! Please consider even more!

RIP ELENDILMIR • Jingle Jangle
    Landroval
    : LAERLIN (Bio + Drawings) • LAERWEN • OLORIEL • AETHELIND (Bio + Drawing) • NETHAEL

I want sky blue so badly.

Something with light tone. The two nearest dye color is Walnut Brown and Steel Blue, which are both dark.

The next color should be from ore node, as Walnut Brown is already from wood node, while Steel Blue is from farming.

Btw, plant-based dye like Steel Blue should be spawn as plant nodes, just like some lower tier dye colors.
    [I]"Deserves it! I daresay he does. Many that live deserve death. And some die that deserve life. Can you give it to them? Then be not too eager to deal out death in the name of judgment. For even the wise cannot see all ends"[/I] - [B]Gandalf[/B]

(I seem to be in the habit of replying of really old threads lately.)

I, too, would love to see a greenish-grey (kind of a sage-grey or mould-green, I suppose) and a true brown (not like Sienna, which comes out either nearly as grey as the Umber or almost light enough to be a tan, nor like the Walnut, which comes out dark grey to nearly black with hardly any brown hue at all).

Of the ones suggested (three years ago) by the OP, I think Lavender is perhaps the strongest candidate. I would very much like to have something festive that is not as pink as the Rose, nor as shockingly vibrant as the Purple.
    The Peach and Dark Purple would be nice, too. (The latter, even if for no other reason than to have another option for matching a Violet, Purple, or Burgundy that didn't take well.)

(I'm sure my next point has been beaten to death since before the Rings were even forged.)
    My biggest frustration with dyes is the inconsistency of appearance. Maybe it's a lot more complicated than I thought, but why can't all the items that are dyed the same colour look at least *similar*?
    How difficult could it possibly be to have a Black that is black and never light grey? (I rarely use black anyway. . .it's an orc colour.)
    Some dyes seem to do better than others. Crimson, for example, seems reasonably consistent. But Gold, on the other hand, will come out bright yellow, rusty red, or even olive green.
    Sometimes, in order to get three items to look like they sorta go together, I have to use three different dyes.

Did they do it intentionally, because natural dyes in the real world often yield unintended results? Not an aspect of realism that, I would say, really adds to the enjoyment of the game.
    Is it because dying just associates a set colour filter overtop of the item's undyed appearance? That doesn't seem to be the case, either, because I've compared items that, in their Washed forms, seem to have identical tones, but still take the dyes differently.
    Or do the item designers all just have completely different colour senses (or differently calibrated computer monitors) and don't bother doing much matching when establishing the colour options for the pieces?

It seems that the artists who design Store-exclusive outfits, landscapes, and scenery put more effort into it. But, for the rest of the game, much of the appearance seems to be a "Good enough, get it out the door" situation. (As evidenced by an apparent disinterest in creating an unique slot icon for each inventory item. Is it really helpful for me to have 6 different kinds of leather that all use the exact same icon?)

Well.. since someone else replied to this very old thread I'll put in my 2cents. More dye would be great to have even if just a few colors. As a scholar, I spent more of my time and coin making dyes. A true brown, a blood red...less orangish, more a greyish red. I would like to see silver looking colors rather then ones that stand out a mile. More subdued ones.

Quote Originally Posted by Halgoreth View Post
    Is it because dying just associates a set colour filter overtop of the item's undyed appearance?
    Correct. Each gear item has a base color pattern which can never be changed. Each gear item has a second color pattern that is applied over top the base color pattern. You get this functionality:

1) When a pixel has a two non white patterns applied, the colors will mix. The mixing process will always result in a darker result than the two original colors.

2)When a pixel has a non white base pattern and the dye pattern is white for that pixel. The mixing process results in the base pattern color for that pixel being displayed unchanged.

3) When a pixel has a white base pattern and the dye pattern is non white for that pixel. The mixing process results in the dye color being displayed unchanged.

Some examples:

1) The base color is dark blue. Apply a crimson dye. The result will be a purple color.

2) The base color is a muddy dirty color. Apply a crimson dye. The result will be a dirty brownish red.

3) The base color is pure white. Apply a crimson dye. The result is a crimson color.

Dying works like mixing cans of paint in real life. It is not a replacement - cover the original paint job. The only way to get a pure dye color is when the base is pure white. Since the dying process always darkens the result, using a light color like light yellow over a non white base doesn't work real well.

Lotro's coloring system does not work like most people expect. They are expecting painting over the existing color like what you would do when painting a wall. If one coat does not wipe out the original color, you keep applying coats until the wall looks the same as the paint chip. Instead we have mix the two cans of paint method.

If I recall correctly it was done this way to allow for more color combinations for gear. Turbine would design one gear piece. A base pattern. A dye pattern. Provide four color combinations for the base and dye pattern. Total of 8 painted patterns. Gives them 16 finished pieces.

Turbine never considered the customer dissatisfaction with dying gear during the original design of the game. Originally were not going to be able to dye our gear. We were only going to be able to use the look that the artists had provided for our equipment. Late in the development cycle after a lot of the art was done. Coloring our stuff was added. Turbine started providing dye patterns of a specific color for us. It was well after release that the cosmetic armor system arrived.

The difficult with adding a new dye color is that artists have to spend time creating all the new dye patterns. No idea how many there are. In the past, Turbine has not created a full set of dye patterns. You will go to dye something crimson. You can't do it. Or if there is real foul up. The item takes the dye. The visual look does not change. Or perhaps you get the forest green dye overlay.

Some pieces are designed to be pure color especially white. In these cases, the majority of the color comes from the artist supplied stock dye pattern. The base coat is mostly white.
    Unless stated otherwise, all content in this post is My Personal Opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by Yula_the_Mighty View Post
    Correct. Each gear item has a base color pattern which can never be changed. Each gear item has a second color pattern that is applied over top the base color pattern.
    Thank you for confirming that.

I suspect that only the background "fabric" takes a dye (and, of course, only in those areas that are set to be dyeable), and that elements of the texture pattern (including shading) on top of it do *not*.

My example of dying two items that seem to have the same base (washed) hue and having them come out completely different is probably, to an extent, a consequence of the artists having used two different methods to create that base appearance. For example, if you have two cloaks that appear to have an identical burnt-orange tone in their washed forms, one may have a burnt-orange fabric with little shading whereas the colour of the other results from the combination of an sienna shading pattern on top of a yellow fabric. If you dye the former, the new colour will tinge most of it evenly. But the same dye applied to the latter, will only affect the yellow elements, leaving the umber shading unaffected. The overall appearances of the resultant combinations could be completely different because only a portion of the base has been altered on the second cloak.

But, regardless of how it works, it's still frustrating.

Turbine never considered the customer dissatisfaction with dying gear during the original design of the game.
    Probably "never anticipated" its degree, moreso than never having considered it. Customer satisfaction is, of course, *always* a concern, just not necessarily one they can accurately predict or address as well as we (or they) might like.

Some pieces are designed to be pure color especially white. In these cases, the majority of the color comes from the artist supplied stock dye pattern.
    I was hoping that, once dyes became an important feature of the game, that all new items would more consistently be designed with a neutral base appearance that would dye true. Unfortunately, that would probably mean that that no gear that dyes true could have a default appearance outside of the current colour pallet of dyes. There have been many pieces that I like because they exhibit a hue that cannot be achieved by overdying a neutral base. I wouldn't want to lose those.

Other colour suggestions: Pistachio, Ecru, Puce (a purplish brown, popular in medieval heraldic but rather uncommon these days)

Probably "never anticipated" its degree, moreso than never having considered it.
    Turbine never considered customer dissatisfaction because customers were never going to dye their gear. Later in the development cycle when someone with command authority ordered that customer gear coloring be added. Now the artists were stuck because they designed a system that did not work well with customer applied dye overlays.
    Customer satisfaction is, of course, *always* a concern, just not necessarily one they can accurately predict or address as well as we (or they) might like.
    The art director knew at the time when customer gear coloring was being added. The customers were going to be displeased because the dye was not going to take properly. For a long time after the dying feature came out we had no white dye. Turbine did not have gear that dyed white. It took time to build up a stock of gear pieces with neutral base patterns that could take true color. The ligher the color epsecially white. The poorer the visual result.
    I was hoping that, once dyes became an important feature of the game, that all new items would more consistently be designed with a neutral base appearance that would dye true. Unfortunately, that would probably mean that that no gear that dyes true could have a default appearance outside of the current colour pallet of dyes.
    They can. All the artist has to do is put all the color into the dye overlay pattern. Turbine has not lost any coloring capability with a neutral base. What they lose is the ability mix and match base patterns and dye overlay patterns to get different visual appearances.

Under the original system, Turbine could do six base patterns and six dye overlay patterns for the same gear piece. That gives them 36 difference appearances for 12 pieces of art. When they create a neutral base for true dying. Turbine is stuck with one neutral base. To get 36 appearances, Turbine has to design 36 dye overlay patterns.
    Last edited by Yula_the_Mighty; Apr 12 2015 at 06:59 PM.
    Unless stated otherwise, all content in this post is My Personal Opinion.

Slightly off topic but still related, if making new dye colors and scholar recipes for higher tiers why not make them hair dyes. I would bet a lot of characters would like to dye their hair unnatural colors or that redish purple I like so much.

Quote Originally Posted by Kobalos View Post
    Slightly off topic but still related, if making new dye colors and scholar recipes for higher tiers why not make them hair dyes. I would bet a lot of characters would like to dye their hair unnatural colors or that redish purple I like so much.
    That's a thought, but I rather expect that it would not be feasible. Hair color is set using a different colour system than item colour. I think that, in order to implement hair colour changes, they would need to add it to the Barbers or a Store item (like the Character Rename Token). Either way, it would probably need to bring up something in the UI similar to the colour selection bars one uses during character generation. (It would be neat to be able to modify my tune as he ages, becomes more muscular, gets scars, etc. But, yeah, not really on topic for this thread.)
    Last edited by Halgoreth; Apr 22 2015 at 07:02 PM. Reason: forgot a 'not'

I vote for Sky Blue as well. Evendim Blue is one of my favorite dye colors, but sometimes I find it a little too intense.

I'd also like RK satchels (at least the cosmetic ones from the LOTRO store and Lalia's Market) and possibly shields to be dye-able.

All righ! this is what we are missing atm:
    Quote Originally Posted by Laire View Post
    ... Rohan Green (called so because of the green in the RoI pre-order cosmetic, specifically shoulders)
    It's the green that looks suspiciously like a grey but is still a green. It's a great color!

Peach
    This is a really nice color that we really cannot recreate with any of dyes at the moment (rose *sometimes* looks peach-ish on some items, but this is pretty uncommon).

Lavender
    Sometimes violet dyes really light. Sometimes it does not. This is for the times it does not- a nice, neutralized lavender.

Dark purple (Perhaps call it 'Moria Purple'. Because it's dark, like Moria is dark)
    This is for the times that violet just isn't dark enough, and regular purple is just way, way too bright for your needs.

Sky blue
    As mentioned above, we already have four blues in game. None of them are light blue (sea blue is not light... and more green than blue...). Anyways, a light blue would be appreciated by many.

Light grey/silver
    Grey, when it was added, was an awesome addition to the color palate of the dyes in this game. But sometimes it is just too dark. To match the gold color we have in this game, let's add a lighter grey- a silver.

A kin mate of mine insisted that we also need a 'plaid' dye. I'll leave that open to your imagination.
    I like to apport my 2 cents (or was 5 colors?):

• Pea green: is already in game <house paints> but not in clothing.
    • Lemon green: similar to pea green but more yellowish.
    • Magenta: is pinkish but very bright is purple like but more redish.
    • Tangerie: sometimes i really want to dress orange but the true orange is too dark.
    • Fiery Orange: is not red & is not orange but in between.
    Last edited by YamydeAragon; Apr 23 2015 at 05:38 PM.

~ Check my Kinship at Gladden server: The Fate of Middle Earth ~

21. /signed
    This is something I've wanted for a while (pretty sure I signed a suggestion topic on this before).
    The Lone Wolf
    Radspakr 85 Guardian,Haluilas 82 LM, Varri 65 Champ

The ability to use multiple dyes on the same piece of gear would be good.

And to add extra dyes have them unlocked via in-game achievements.

Take a look at ESO, I think they nailed it pretty good.

Mind you ESO could learn a LOT from LotRO in most other areas.

All The Best

Quote Originally Posted by Egilric View Post
    The ability to use multiple dyes on the same piece of gear would be good.

You can in the wardrobe. Place the item in your wardrobe slot in the bank and dye to your heart's content. After you've dyed an item in the wardrobe there is a drop down menu at the bottom that when you select the item you can click and choose what color to wear. I have one shirt in I think 6 different colors.
    Holris of Landroval

Quote Originally Posted by Tsakiera View Post
    You can in the wardrobe. Place the item in your wardrobe slot in the bank and dye to your heart's content. After you've dyed an item in the wardrobe there is a drop down menu at the bottom that when you select the item you can click and choose what color to wear. I have one shirt in I think 6 different colors.
    But ONLY one will be visible at any time.

I know how the Wardrobe works, I have 40 full slots of wardrobe space.

If I dye a shirt red all of it turns red, or there are parts of it that retain the existing colours.

Each piece of gear in ESO has three separate areas that dye can be applied to.

So I could dye the shirt red, dye the pattern on it blue, and have the highlight areas (cuffs, collars, pockets, buttons etc) a 3rd colour.

All The Best

Quote Originally Posted by Egilric View Post
    But ONLY one will be visible at any time.

I know how the Wardrobe works, I have 40 full slots of wardrobe space.

If I dye a shirt red all of it turns red, or there are parts of it that retain the existing colours.

Each piece of gear in ESO has three separate areas that dye can be applied to.

So I could dye the shirt red, dye the pattern on it blue, and have the highlight areas (cuffs, collars, pockets, buttons etc) a 3rd colour.

All The Best

Ok, yeah, that would be really cool. I'd sign up for that. One of my shirts is a vest and shirt and I can only dye the shirt, I would love to change the vest as well.
    Holris of Landroval

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast