We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

Middle-earth as future history

Here is a link to a tongue-in-cheek essay, http://michael.bissell.conquent.com/...ptic_Hell_Hole
    Silverlode refugee

A nice article, shows someone else's view of Middle Earth. Although it's a good article, I really can't support the author's vision and perspective of the world, for me Middle Earth is just an alternative world to our, which isn't set either in the future nor the past, but in its own time period, a world Tolkien was making, you can say a God of his world. Nonetheless, a good article, I always welcome different opinions about Middle Earth
    .]

Quote Originally Posted by Bosancjeros View Post
    A nice article, shows someone else's view of Middle Earth. Although it's a good article, I really can't support the author's vision and perspective of the world, for me Middle Earth is just an alternative world to our, which isn't set either in the future nor the past, but in its own time period, a world Tolkien was making, you can say a God of his world. Nonetheless, a good article, I always welcome different opinions about Middle Earth
    Couldn't have said it better myself.

I think the author has confused LotR with The Sword of Shannara.
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0e215000000094dc4/01007/signature.png]undefined[/charsig]

...for me Middle Earth is just an alternative world to our, which isn't set either in the future nor the past, but in its own time period, a world Tolkien was making, you can say a God of his world.
    That may be your view, but it was not Tolkien's:

‘Middle-earth’, by the way, is not a name of a never-never land without relation to the world that we live in […] It is just a use of Middle English middel-erde (or erthe), altered from Old English Middangeard: the name for the inhabited lands of Men ‘between the seas’. And though I have not attempted to relate the shape of the mountains and land-masses to what geologists may say or surmise about the nearer past, imaginatively this ‘history’ is supposed to take place in a period of the actual Old World of this planet.
    Source: Carpenter, Humphrey (editor). 165 To the Houghton Mifflin Co. The Letters of J.R.R. Tolkien.
    Faërie is a perilous land, and in it are pitfalls for the unwary and dungeons for the overbold. – J.R.R. Tolkien, ‘On Fairy-Stories’.

Quote Originally Posted by LoyKashka View Post
    I think the author has confused LotR with The Sword of Shannara.
    ^^This. I was thinking that myself.

This, even though ME is based in our world, we really should draw the line that it never happened in world, there was no hurin, turin or Melkor its a great story and sub-creation.

I thought redgold9's theory made sense,it sounds about right to me.

Quote Originally Posted by womanlikesmmos View Post
    I thought redgold9's theory made sense,it sounds about right to me.
    It's not my theory, I just thought it was an interesting read.
    Silverlode refugee

Quote Originally Posted by womanlikesmmos View Post
    i thought redgold9's theory made sense,it sounds about right to me.
    fool of a took!