We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    I am one of the senior citizens that play this game. At first I had a really hard time with mc but I gotta tell you that with practice and traiting that light horse, heck, I love it and I think I am pretty good at it. I may be a little slower than some but that doesn't matter really. I can still throw and hit and turn that mount on a dime. Honestly, it takes a lot of practice. I was in all 6 betas a lot. It was hard to play with all the glitches and bugs, etc. The mount was awful at first. You ran into walls, mountains, rivers, mobs, etc. at least I did and died over and over. I almost gave up at one point cause I hated it so much. I am just trying to say, I understand how you hate it cause I did too. But I am also trying to say if you hang in there you will more than likely really love it at some point. The devs did good, there are some glitches still that needs to be ironed out but as for me, I am very pleased with the way mc is going.

Quote Originally Posted by Kerkat View Post
    So far I love mounted combat. The fight animations on the Hunter are fantastic.

Yes, there is a bit of rubberbanding and some pausing. But that is because the areas are so crowded. I've noticed that even on Crickhollow (which is a medium to low server) that my character is always in overflow servers.

The one thing that is imperative to fighting easily on the warsteed is learning to move with the mouse. Most if not all the problems people have mentioned are fixed when using the mouse. It is a pain to learn but once you do learn, you'll never go back to wasd movement again. I know because was a clicker (I actually learned how to mouse turn in Warhammer Online-not fun in pvp).

Unfortunately, people who are prone to motion sickness are going to have a hard time.

Anyway, I know what this is definitely a feature that the game that shall not be named will steal in the future. They took scenarios, didn't they?
    Your making an awful lot of assumptions.

1. I play at various times of the day or night, and have played at 3 am last night for example where there were few people on, and was not in a layer. With an 86 ping to the server, it still occasionally burps and hiccups along at times, and it isnt on my end, i can gaurantee you that.

2. You assume many of us do not know how to use a mouse. I dont know how you arrived at this assumption. Being right handed, and playing guitar since i was 9 years old(being 54 now), as well as playing every flight sim known to mankind before the internet was born, i mouse with the left. Thats right, right handed, but i mouse with the left, and i will bet you i use a mouse better than you can.

3. If there werent missing animations, rubberbanding and pausing due to whatever reasons, be it turbine servers/code/memory leaks, whatever within the client, those of us suffering from from sickness type symptoms wouldnt have those effects, and/or those effects would be minimal if it ran smoother than it does.

4. Fight animations on a hunter fantastic? To each their own i guess. I find it fantastic that after all the beta testing and delayed bug fixing that the hunter animations, particularly the one that shows the hunter shooting to the left when he is actually shooting right making it to live to be utterly fantastic.

Glad your liking it, whatever floats your boat. Some of us dont, and it isnt because we dont know how to use a freakin' mouse either.
    [COLOR=#ff0000][I]All my devotion betrayed, I am no longer afraid
    I was too blinded too see, How much you've stolen from me

[/I][/COLOR]

Thumbs up

Like Granlu stated about...in Beta it was horrible to test. I couldn't do the warsteed training course without actually getting sick and having to lay down before my lunch came up on me. I said "no way" will I enjoy this MC stuff.....I practiced for hours....till I figured it out. It is a Hunters dream to be shooting arrows on horse back...I love it!!! The developers did an awesome job....thank you...well done!!
    Willowyn - Officer - Tactical Carnage

It's more of a gimmick than a necessity to me. Plus, I find I do more damage dismounted than I do mounted. I really don't see a need to use it, even when fighting warbands.

And there are several issues:

1. I can't use buff/debuff skills while mounted.
    2. I can't use poison, wound, fear, etc. removal skills while mounted.
    3. I have no CC.
    4. In order to pick up items for quests I must dismount, which leads to...
    5. If I am dismounted and I defeat a mob, I get a message stating I could have gotten more steed XP if I had defeated the mob while mounted. I'm sorry, but I'm not going to mount and dismount every time I need to defeat a mob when I have to collect items that can only be collected while dismounted as well.
    6. I get the "You could have gotten more steed XP..." message in areas where I can't even USE my steed like instances and epic quests.
    7. If I can use skills while mounted and moving, why am I forced to stand still when I am not mounted to use skills? I'm sorry, but I'm not going to give up 20+ skills so I can use five skills while mounted.
    8. Being mounted causes lag, framerate issues and other problems for me while playing that make it more annoying than anything, and I have a high-end system (2.8Ghz QC, 12 GB ram, 1.5 GB video card and I run LOTRO on an SSD).
    9. You don't even need to be mounted to kill most (if any) mobs or even warbands in Eastern Rohan.
    10. Warbands are a joke. The way they made it sound is that there would be warbands around just about every corner, but the most I have seen so far is four and most of them can be solo'd.
    11. Another LI to level up. Yay. And I don't even know what the stats do, nor do I know where to find the settings, gems or runes (nor will I probably even bother with them).

Honestly, I think they should have spent time improving other game mechanics than introducing one that is, like all others, going to bring more issues to the game.

I think mounted combat will fade pretty fast once people get over the newness.

I agree with all problems mentioned here about rubberbanding, poor engine, texturing, etc and the poorest warsteed control at lower levels, etc.

Despite that I enjoy MC, it's something I can do for hours, it's relaxing.

Quote Originally Posted by STEAL107 View Post
    First off, the mounted combat is incredible and deserves the credit it is owed. People are complaining before they even have a chance to experience it like it was meant. I see people running around at full speed and in circles trying to fight and cant turn and say mounted combat is horrible. We just started doing 6 man combat and its even harder but doable. First and formost level your dam horse and apply the appropriate points to manuever skills.
    So, basically what you're saying is that mounted combat and warsteeds do in fact suck, until you do it long enough to get a lot of points into your mount?
    As a level 1 burglar, Bilbo got a pony when he joined the Smaug The Dragon raid. Then he asked for leadership, looted the chest, assigned himself the 1st age Arkenstone and mailed it to an alt (Bilbo's a VIP so can mail from anywhere). They did some PvMP and an Epic Battle, then he apologized and gave the Arkenstone back. He kept the pony.

I don't think it's important for people to like Mounted Combat, no more than it's important for people to like Skirmishes. I love Mounted Combat. I can't stand Skirmishes (unless they are new). It is a side game, just like Skirmishes, that you may or may not want to explore and invest time in. It's really a personal preference on top of the fact that MC seems to play differently depending on your class.

However, if you are inclined toward MC, here are a few things that I've gathered from responses in this thread;

- MC is not immediately conducive to clickers or keyboard turners. Not saying this to be mean. Just pointing out that using keybinds and controlling the steed with your mouse is more effective by design, and is probably why it was recommended in the Training Tutorial, at least the one in Harwick.

- Speed control is best done by the Walk/Run Keybind. Setting to Always Slow Down is nice to use in towns and friendly areas. However, speed adjustments in combat are best done with the Keybind. By default, I think this is set to the Insert key. Unfortunately, the initial location of that key is very poor for controlling movement effectively and I remapped it.

- Judging the power/effectiveness of your War Steed by its first 10 levels is a horrible mistake. Nobody will be effective at killing mobs in MC until they have leveled up their Steed and Bridle a bit. If you have not done this yet, then you are completely missing out on your War Steed's capabilities. Many people are also creating hybrid builds which don't seem to be as effective as focusing on one tree and Steed specs.

- Proper combat rotations are a must. Read your mounted skills thoroughly and learn how they synergize. As an RK, a proper skill rotation means a dead mob in 2-4 skills. A poor rotation means a prolonged and tedious fight where my Steed potentially runs out of power before a mob is dead. Of course, this could vary depending on class. Last night there were peeps in glff posting 13-15K hits on mobs while on their War Steeds.
    [center]Landy: [b]Alphanova 3.0[/b] - R10 RK [b][i]Hitman for Mother Nature[/i][/b]
    Brandy: [b]Rotoreaver[/b] - R9 Reaver [b][i]Chop-N-Cleaver[/i][/b]
    Firefoot-Retired: [b]Alphazen[/b] - R9 Hunt*rd (MoM); [b]Spankdush[/b] - R6 Warg (SoA)
    [/center]

Quote Originally Posted by Banaticus View Post
    So, basically what you're saying is that mounted combat and warsteeds do in fact suck, until you do it long enough to get a lot of points into your mount?
    Ever wonder if your legendary weapon is as epic at level 1 without putting points into legacies and relics and all that....or does it suck
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0e21500000003ec1c/01008/signature.png]undefined[/charsig]
    [COLOR="#AFEEEE"][B]Ivalden - 75 Captain (R2) - Imladris
    Drankorg - Warg (R5) - Landroval[/B][/COLOR]

Quote Originally Posted by silverblade5445 View Post
    Ever wonder if your legendary weapon is as epic at level 1 without putting points into legacies and relics and all that....or does it suck
    Switching from a Mirrored Ancient Steel Axe to the first legendary axe that I got didn't suddenly make me worse at combat or impair my weapons skills in any way.

Switching from a regular steed to a war steed suddenly made me a much worse rider. It's weird - I would've thought that the Rohirrim would've bred horses that were more agile than the Bree starter pony or a goat laden with Ale Associaton kegs, but apparently not.

I may yet be missing something but so far MC cuts my RK dps by about 90%. I have one skill that hits moderately hard on a 15 second cooldown and a couple of other ultra weak skills that are not worth mashing. It is total garbage for this class so far.

On the other hand it is quite good for my burglar, though all dps and no debuffs or stuns.

It just seems like some classes got really amazing steed skills and others got junk.
    Draegon:
    "stack all the morale you want but dont come on here wonderin why you aint hittin hard! :D"

Quote Originally Posted by forusrname View Post
    I may yet be missing something but so far MC cuts my RK dps by about 90%. I have one skill that hits moderately hard on a 15 second cooldown and a couple of other ultra weak skills that are not worth mashing. It is total garbage for this class so far.

On the other hand it is quite good for my burglar, though all dps and no debuffs or stuns.

It just seems like some classes got really amazing steed skills and others got junk.
    Red Dawn is not the best for runekeeper. However, Riddermark is. That's how I ran my RK in beta, after I found out that my fire skills in Red Dawn did very little damage. That didn't improve much even when my war-steed was lvl 40+. However, with Riddermark and lightning skills I managed to kill mobs a lot faster than non-mounted, and 360 degree attack radius helps a lot too. I can just zap-zap-zap like a good runekeeper should So in case you have tried only Red Dawn, try Riddermark and be positively surprised!

However, amongst all classes, burglar seems most lacking (in mounted combat) to me. One big crit attack as battle opener does not compare well to many other classes, as all skills except one are melee skills and not a single AoE skill. I hope they tweak burglar a bit (for better).

Quote Originally Posted by Gilean-EU View Post
    Red Dawn is not the best for runekeeper. However, Riddermark is. That's how I ran my RK in beta, after I found out that my fire skills in Red Dawn did very little damage. That didn't improve much even when my war-steed was lvl 40+. However, with Riddermark and lightning skills I managed to kill mobs a lot faster than non-mounted, and 360 degree attack radius helps a lot too. I can just zap-zap-zap like a good runekeeper should So in case you have tried only Red Dawn, try Riddermark and be positively surprised!

However, amongst all classes, burglar seems most lacking (in mounted combat) to me. One big crit attack as battle opener does not compare well to many other classes, as all skills except one are melee skills and not a single AoE skill. I hope they tweak burglar a bit (for better).
    I will have to look into that closer, thanks! I did try all 3 stances, but did not spend enough time looking at how the skills changed between them. I will take a much closer look tonight.
    Draegon:
    "stack all the morale you want but dont come on here wonderin why you aint hittin hard! :D"

Quote Originally Posted by Kerin_Eldar View Post
    Actually, I did, over the last 5 years I learned to play Lore-Master reasonably competently, I have no desire to be forced to learn a totally different class (mounted combat has nothing to do with being a pet-using Lore-Master).

This is why I hate MC, and why I hate the fact Turbine want to force me to endure it or else lock me out of core content. It if were optional, like PVMP then fine, but it's not, which is why I hate the whole concept.
    What content are you locked out of?

Quote Originally Posted by Cirgellon View Post
    What content are you locked out of?
    So far every quest that you are *encouraged* to ride around on your steed allows you to dismount. However, and esp for squishy classes, if you DO that you will be destroyed if you get hit much. For example I often get off my steed on my RK, and I can melt the stuff, but a rider-mob can hit me for 3k per hit, 2-3 hits is going to kill me. Mounted, you can not only get away, but your horse takes the brunt of these hits.

Locked out? No. Disadvantaged in some fights? Probably, not 100% sure yet but I think the toughest warbands would rock your world unmounted.
    Draegon:

I never bothered to compare any numbers and accepted MC to be completely different thing, but: isn't Red Dawn THE tree for dps? I mean, you got all the dps bonuses in there. In riddlemark, well, the skills are like the old lightning rk works, but you don't benefit from the red tree then. And in the yellow one, there's absolutely nothing that would help my dps at all. Furthermore, when in Riddlemark stance, the skills do higher dmg, but the "side effects" are questionable at best. I am very curious about all this, though.
    [color=#33FFFF]Many philosophical problems are caused by such things as the simple inability to shut up.[/color]

Thanks for starting a positive thread about the war steeds.

I am one of the "uncoordinated, awkward" older players (65 yrs) and I thoroughly enjoy combat on the war steeds. I have no clue if I'm good at it or not but I do get the kills and the quests completed on time and in good order.

From my past experiences in leveling characters, I figured I would need to conquer a learning curve; put in some practice time on helpless mobs and some trait tweaking stuff to do before I would be would mostly satisfied with my steed and combat with it. The result is an amazing addition to my Wardens' already formidable combat skill set. There have been periods when questing Norcroft region that I did everything on steed for an hour or more including an instance or two. I really enjoy the dynamics and it did not take that long to learn them.

The tweaks I made were:
    1. Max out the Agility trait and the Yellow trait line to achieve max control of the steed.
    2. Adjusted traits to improve on the endurance issue.
    3. Created a Normal mount relic to give In-combat power recovery.

For controls, I have everything mapped to the four grouped arrow keys at the bottom of most keyboards between the numpad and the querty.
    Up = increase speed.
    Down = my whoa key.
    Ctrl+Up = Full speed now.
    Ctrl+Down = Dismount.
    Right and Left arrows are for turning.
    Ctrl+Right arrow = Select object.
    Ctrl+Left arrow = Use selected object.
    With this setup, I can do everything needed for control with minimal hand movements. By simultaneously pressing the "whoa" key and turning left or right then hitting Up, I have amazing control over the spin and charge maneuver I love to execute on stunned enemies or those following close on my heels. I am certain there are other maneuvers I can learn with time - it's just great having the option available to do so.

By level 16, my mount was reacting as best it could and I felt really comfortable in the saddle with it.

I am really happy Turbine introduced mounted combat with this expansion and hope they do even more with it future expansions. It's already a great addition to one's skill set and, if they let it, only get better with age.

If I can do it, then most anyone can.

So far every quest that you are *encouraged* to ride around on your steed allows you to dismount. However, and esp for squishy classes, if you DO that you will be destroyed if you get hit much. For example I often get off my steed on my RK, and I can melt the stuff, but a rider-mob can hit me for 3k per hit, 2-3 hits is going to kill me. Mounted, you can not only get away, but your horse takes the brunt of these hits.

Locked out? No. Disadvantaged in some fights? Probably, not 100% sure yet but I think the toughest warbands would rock your world unmounted.
    I have done all of the epic and am almost done with the regular Rohan quests. I have only seen maybe 2/3 quests that even recommend a war steed.

As for the rest of this, that isn't my experience. Other than warbands, I can't find a mounted enemy that does damage. I had a warg rider follow me to a quest giver yesterday and I never touched him. He hit me like four times in the two minutes I sat there and hardly did any damage. Maybe I'm just not paying attention, but I haven't seen those huge hits against my hunter.

It is a disadvantage to not use it. That is the players choice though. If the war steed gave no advantage, it would be pointless to go through all of that work creating it. My hunter feels almost invincible on his war steed. Stuff dies much slower, but I can take many more(or much bigger) mobs.

Thanks for starting this thread Steal.

I have encountered several of the same problems you've mentioned, and have since worked through most of them before finding this thread. I'm decided to give me Champ a break for a change and play my LM first through RoR. I must say I am really enjoying mounted combat on my LM. I chose a light steed for him since I can stay at a distance used ranged skills, though I've also been experimenting with a medium steed as well to see how the skills work differently.

The first time I tried to solo the troll in the Norcrofts area, I wasn't having any difficulty at all fighting him and staying far enough ahead to keep from getting hit, but ran out of power almost immediately. And so the fight dragged out, shooting off 1 skill every minute or so. It didn't take long later to figure out a couple issues I was having. 1) don't neglect spending points on a couple of the top level traits: one increases total power, and the other increases regen of power and endurance. This also got better when I unlocked another trait further down the tree that gave me better bonuses to power and power regen. 2) As Steal mentioned some skills are toggles and consume power if you leave them on. There is one skill in particular that I kept using all the time at first that causes the mount to turn toward the mob whenever possible. This is helpful for 1 or 2 skills that have short range, but it's definitely best to use the skill, then turn it back off when done.

Like others have mentioned, I'm a 42 y.o. player, and don't have the best of reflexes, but a lot of the problems I've seen other having seem to mostly be because MC is a new system, and many players maybe still aren't familiar with it. Yes, the warsteeds don't do well in cities. They weren't intended to. I generally switch to my smokey black mirkwood steel when in town. Though personal preference still is a big part as to whether you love it, hate it, or just don't care. I feel the same about skimishes. I enjoy skimishes on occasion, but mostly I don't bother with them. Since MC is a part of the landscape, and not just an isolated system like skirmishes, I think it has the potential to continue to develop and be an important part of future content.
    Last edited by Hikerdude2010; Oct 22 2012 at 04:51 PM.
    The Haruchai and The Elohim
    Barabolas - 100 Champ | Gilgaros - 100 LM | Findheleth - 100 Cappy | Thaswin - 100 Burg | Nimbreleth - 100 RK

Quote Originally Posted by Cirgellon View Post
    I have done all of the epic and am almost done with the regular Rohan quests. I have only seen maybe 2/3 quests that even recommend a war steed.

As for the rest of this, that isn't my experience. Other than warbands, I can't find a mounted enemy that does damage. I had a warg rider follow me to a quest giver yesterday and I never touched him. He hit me like four times in the two minutes I sat there and hardly did any damage. Maybe I'm just not paying attention, but I haven't seen those huge hits against my hunter.

It is a disadvantage to not use it. That is the players choice though. If the war steed gave no advantage, it would be pointless to go through all of that work creating it. My hunter feels almost invincible on his war steed. Stuff dies much slower, but I can take many more(or much bigger) mobs.
    Might depend on your gear and class and all. 2 or 3 times a mounted guy has caught my RK on foot and taken off 2-3k in one big hit of some sort -- not an elite or warband. After tonight, this seems rare though, most of them do very little as you said.
    Draegon:

Quote Originally Posted by The-Walrus View Post
    I never bothered to compare any numbers and accepted MC to be completely different thing, but: isn't Red Dawn THE tree for dps? I mean, you got all the dps bonuses in there. In riddlemark, well, the skills are like the old lightning rk works, but you don't benefit from the red tree then. And in the yellow one, there's absolutely nothing that would help my dps at all. Furthermore, when in Riddlemark stance, the skills do higher dmg, but the "side effects" are questionable at best. I am very curious about all this, though.
    The discipline and trait trees are completely different things, the only thing the discipline you are on is affecting is the capstone skill in that trait tree. For example, if you are using Red Dawn, you can still benefit all the healing effects from blue traitline or speed/steering helps from yellow traitline, but the effect from Wrath skill (Red Dawn capstone) is working only when you are in Red Dawn discipline. Basically you can benefit from ALL traits, except for those capstone skills, no matter which discipline you are using.

So, as for my example with runekeeper, I am using Riddermark discipline, but I have traited all Red Dawn traits except the last one, Wrath, because I can't benefit from that skill anyway. But I do benefit from Riddermark capstone skill (7 seconds more to bleeds etc). That means I am using lightning skills (which do better damage than fire anyway in MC) but having a big DPS boost from Red Dawn trait tree.

Hopefully you got the idea?

The discipline and trait trees are completely different things, the only thing the discipline you are on is affecting is the capstone skill in that trait tree. For example, if you are using Red Dawn, you can still benefit all the healing effects from blue traitline or speed/steering helps from yellow traitline, but the effect from Wrath skill (Red Dawn capstone) is working only when you are in Red Dawn discipline. Basically you can benefit from ALL traits, except for those capstone skills, no matter which discipline you are using.

So, as for my example with runekeeper, I am using Riddermark discipline, but I have traited all Red Dawn traits except the last one, Wrath, because I can't benefit from that skill anyway. But I do benefit from Riddermark capstone skill (7 seconds more to bleeds etc). That means I am using lightning skills (which do better damage than fire anyway in MC) but having a big DPS boost from Red Dawn trait tree.

Hopefully you got the idea?
    You are right, I forgot it was just the capstone skill that got additional benefit. Hmmm... I gotta test this after the downtime. But for some reason I still like the fire. I can throw bunch of dots on a mob and switch to other. It seems fairly effective
    It would be helpful if we had a page with all three trees and traits details pictured without having to log in the game.
    [color=#33FFFF]Many philosophical problems are caused by such things as the simple inability to shut up.[/color]

Ok I checked the yellow capstone and it doesn't say a word about bleeds. Instead, I get some chance of dismounting an enemy. I am confused.

Quote Originally Posted by The-Walrus View Post
    Ok I checked the yellow capstone and it doesn't say a word about bleeds. Instead, I get some chance of dismounting an enemy. I am confused.
    That was only an example, as I was using medium steed in beta, while you seem to be using light steed. The capstone skills change depending your war-steed as well

I gave it a serious try last night.

MC is just fail for the RK. I figured out part of it (default to bad stance needs reset after EACH NODE OF ORE) so I kept my mount in the proper stance. His dps is still a fraction of what it is on foot due to the long cooldowns and having to wait for fury to build up. I have maxed out fury contribution on a bridle and riddermark stance damage legacy as well, and still it is weak. I have points in the red trait line to up damage and finesse. Nothing seems to work. The hits do about as much as I do on foot apart from EC, but they frequency is just too much lower.

I do think I could build a very solid RK healer mounted, but there is no content where that is useful at this time.
    Draegon:

I gave it a serious try last night.

MC is just fail for the RK. I figured out part of it (default to bad stance needs reset after EACH NODE OF ORE) so I kept my mount in the proper stance. His dps is still a fraction of what it is on foot due to the long cooldowns and having to wait for fury to build up. I have maxed out fury contribution on a bridle and riddermark stance damage legacy as well, and still it is weak. I have points in the red trait line to up damage and finesse. Nothing seems to work. The hits do about as much as I do on foot apart from EC, but they frequency is just too much lower.

I do think I could build a very solid RK healer mounted, but there is no content where that is useful at this time.
    Might I ask you what level is your war-steed? I ask this because I was complaining about runekeeper and mounted combat A LOT in beta. Even lightning damage did about the same damage I did on foot at start, although it was still a way better than fire. But when my mount was lvl 35+ or so, I didn't even think about going on foot anymore. Mobs died MUCH faster than I could kill them on foot, and I could just keep going because I didn't have to heal myself all the time.

Now, I have only got my war-steed on live with my RK (I saved him last since I played with that class so much in beta) but unless RK has changed a lot since last rounds of beta, then I don't complain at all.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast