We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    The main issue with MC as it stands is that the engine (the netcode in particular) can't really cope with it. Between the constant hitching, rubberbanding, animation desyncs and missing animation transitions it just feels wrong.

It's a shame because I really like the physics aspect and the general design of MC. On the internal servers with no ping to speak of it probably works ok. Unfortunately in a real word scenario it's not a particularly pleasant experience.

So far I love mounted combat. The fight animations on the Hunter are fantastic.

Yes, there is a bit of rubberbanding and some pausing. But that is because the areas are so crowded. I've noticed that even on Crickhollow (which is a medium to low server) that my character is always in overflow servers.

The one thing that is imperative to fighting easily on the warsteed is learning to move with the mouse. Most if not all the problems people have mentioned are fixed when using the mouse. It is a pain to learn but once you do learn, you'll never go back to wasd movement again. I know because was a clicker (I actually learned how to mouse turn in Warhammer Online-not fun in pvp).

Unfortunately, people who are prone to motion sickness are going to have a hard time.

Anyway, I know what this is definitely a feature that the game that shall not be named will steal in the future. They took scenarios, didn't they?
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0c21400000001e881/01006/signature.png]undefined[/charsig]

Quote Originally Posted by STEAL107 View Post
    First off, the mounted combat is incredible and deserves the credit it is owed. People are complaining before they even have a chance to experience it like it was meant. I see people running around at full speed and in circles trying to fight and cant turn and say mounted combat is horrible. We just started doing 6 man combat and its even harder but doable. First and formost level your dam horse and apply the appropriate points to manuever skills. Second level your bridles and add relics. Third set your mount speed with insert key, if you didnt know this and would just rather complain, it sets your max speed for you automatically to 25-50-75 and 100 percent. BTW you will be doing this in the 6 mans. Third if you group up and are support put yourself on follow of the main assist. Your horse will stay in range if your support or ranged combatand keep you behind the mobs if you recieve positional bonuses ( this is really big) and you can use your skills at will. This is where i think group combat with insert and follow will go.

Our tactics we are employing as a kin are extremely effective and I just wanted to share this with the public. Dont sit here in the forums or sit in glff in game and complain that mtcbt this or mtcbt that until you fully understand it. Also and this is very important. LEARN YOUR CLASS AND WHAT THE NEW SKILLS ACTUALLY DO. If your constantly running out of power dont blame mounted combat you probably left a toggle skill on which consumes 25 toon power per sec. Yes these skills as you unlock them are incredible but at a price so , use them , then turn them off to regen power. Read the skills.

And last but not least, have a regular mount and your warsteed in your toolbar. It is just easier to use the regular mount while in cities, just dismount at entrance and get on your regular mount. I mean comon you want them to change the warsteeds when nothing needs to be changed cause you cant figure out and would just rather whine. I see it all day about players trying to run around in cities and say the warsteeds are horrible in there. You are exactly right and they should be they are after all WARSTEEDS for combat not for strolling. Thanks. If you have any questions look for any Steal toon on arkenstone ill be glad to learn you mounted combat so to speak.

PS if you are getitng dizzy while fighting , stop running in circles and try zooming out and/or changing your pan/zoom angle this helps alot.
    +1 rep for you!

I've tried out the war steeds, and have in just two days grown to love the way riding with the war steeds feels - and it really does get easier and more controlable the higher levelled our mount gets!

I enjoy using it in cities too, however, I go very slow there, moving cautiously, in order not to run anyone or anything over. Feels very nice - a lot more realistic than on the regular steed.

I've also tried hunting in groups, and it does work alright, I do need to get used to this more though, as in fact I tend to get dizzy a bit when I go in circles. Zooming out definitely helps, or just hitting the breaks to get oriented again... As a ministrel, I've only been dealing damage so far, so I'm really curious about how well all this plays out when it comes to healing and real group play. We played around with it a bit already, but it seemed rather difficult... Going on "Follow" is a really good hint, I'll try that!

Anyway: good luck to everyone with the new steeds, I think they are awesome and I love trying out this new feature! Sounds and animations are great too!! Feels veeerry nice!!
    [URL]http://www.facebook.com/FlammeVonArnor[/URL]

[charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/272180000002bda0c/01008/signature.png]undefined[/charsig]

Quote Originally Posted by Kerin_Eldar View Post
    Actually, I did, over the last 5 years I learned to play Lore-Master reasonably competently, I have no desire to be forced to learn a totally different class (mounted combat has nothing to do with being a pet-using Lore-Master).

This is why I hate MC, and why I hate the fact Turbine want to force me to endure it or else lock me out of core content. It if were optional, like PVMP then fine, but it's not, which is why I hate the whole concept.

Only 3 years here but I agree 100%. The problem we are having I believe is our characters aren't hunters as this is the perfect hunter tool.I see all the gushing threads but they are mostly from hunters. So we need a different option for the rest of us. My option is using that big warsteed to ride my guard up to a foe(mounted/unmounted), dismount and kill it. so much easier,so much quicker, so little pain involved. I do not want to learn to play a new way, especially at lvl 75, so for me, mounted wombat was a big fail. I have over the last 75 lvls learned to play my toon a certain way, now after all that you're going to change my skills,toss out a new mechanic for the last 10 lvls! Lets say no to bad ideas. should have been done at lvls 1-10 then changed to the state we had.

i am a little too slow for this

I am enjoying, but am horrible at MC. I have never been able to manuever in battle on foot either - I am a 'stand there and swing away' player. I find running and fighting very chanenging. On the plus side - I am finding that my efforts to control my horse are carrying over to my non-mounted skills. Maybe soon I will be running in circles, screaming and shouting, with the rest of you!
    there, they're, their

For those of you that are having trouble controlling your warsteed while in combat, you need to learn to use your 'Spur On' skill. Spur On is basically like auto-pilot for your warsteed while you are in combat. It allows you to easily pick your next attack without worrying about controlling where to go because as soon as you pick an attack skill it directs you towards your target automatically.

After I learned to use the Spur On toggle it has made mounted combat into easy mode.
    [SIZE="1"]Just realize that while champions are awesome, we want you to be awesome too. That's why we do the things we do. - Harumph[/SIZE]

[size=1]I'm fairly certain no one is leaving the game due to confusion of what a strawman is or isn't. Which tells me we're done here.
    [color=blue]Last edited by Sapience; Aug 16 2010 at 12:12 PM.[/color][/size]
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/082070000000fec66/01008/signature.png]Vysion[/charsig]

My experiences with MC:

I came at the idea with a lot of scepticism, since my main is a burg and there was not a lot of positives being expressed in the beta forums. However I've really enjoyed it so far, surprisingly so.

Yes it takes some (a lot?) of getting used to, but once your horsey has a few points in power and agility and a bridle with some of the cheaper relics it's starts to play really well imho. There's something I really enjoy about charging around lobbing ranged attacks (a luxury for a burg!), especially in a melee of multiple mobs / players. In particular the "Five against the Wold" instance is a hoot (if you manage to avoid the red walls).

I've seen a few people saying it sucks and that one-on-one they're just dismounting and fighting on foot. Personally I do the same unless I'm fighting a mounted mob, I don't think MC was intended for that sort of fight. Try taking on a whole horde of mobs or fellowship warbands with a group or open tapping - it's a lot of fun, you would have a hard time soloing them on foot unless you have very good gear and a lot of patience.

Also a lot of people are complaining that the warsteed is hard or impossible to control in towns - get off it then Again I don't think it's meant to be used in towns, we still have our normal mounts. Think fully armoured medieval chargers, I doubt they were ridden through towns either.

Thankfully I've got a decent machine and t'interweb connection so I haven't had the nightmare lag, hitching, rubber-banding, etc. that are plaguing some other players which has probably helped my enjoyment. If it is working for you, take the time to fully zoom out the camera (goes twice as far as unmounted camera) and take in the stunning views.

All in all I think it's an interesting and fun new mechanic (in a world were all MMOs are starting to look like each other) and I for one would love to see more MC instances, skirmishes, warbands, etc.

Threads that start with 'don't talk in this thread unless...' usually don't provide much of value lol
    I'm an expert - look at my join date, bro.

Only 3 years here but I agree 100%. The problem we are having I believe is our characters aren't hunters as this is the perfect hunter tool.I see all the gushing threads but they are mostly from hunters. So we need a different option for the rest of us. My option is using that big warsteed to ride my guard up to a foe(mounted/unmounted), dismount and kill it. so much easier,so much quicker, so little pain involved. I do not want to learn to play a new way, especially at lvl 75, so for me, mounted wombat was a big fail. I have over the last 75 lvls learned to play my toon a certain way, now after all that you're going to change my skills,toss out a new mechanic for the last 10 lvls! Lets say no to bad ideas. should have been done at lvls 1-10 then changed to the state we had.
    A game like this should evolve over time. If it stays exactly the same over it's lifetime it'll get stagnant. MC is a nice shake-up imo. Not that I want that to be the sole focus from now on but I like switching it up. Now I'll be annoyed if the instances are all about MC but if they're 20/80 or even 40/60 in favor of regular combat I'll be okay with that.

Also, no one is forcing you to use your steed. You are more than welcome to dismount and kill as you say you are doing. I've found it to be infinitely faster to use the horse though.

Not to beat a dead horse but I was thinking of some classes that don't really "play their class" until you group (usually Moria at the earliest) such as healers and tanks. It's 55-75 levels of one play-style and then a complete 180 to play as your class is intended in group play. Sorry, thought train got away from me.

I entirely agree with the OP. Yes, the learning curve is steeper than what we have been used to, but it pays off. Just a note - putting points into Agility may not be enough, you should consider putting points into traits that make turns easier, this makes a huge difference. My war-steed is not even level 10, and I have already getting the hang of it. Besides, the Riddermark discipline increases agility, which is also helpful. I am not sure whether this is skill is present in all class (I think it is), but as a captain I have this Spur On skill, which automatically directs my war-steed towards my selected target, when I punch a skill. This makes things much easier, so have this on if you have it (it is a toggle skill).

I must say, when you get use to it, there is indeed a huge difference, against every type of mob. Of course, war-steeds are not so useful in close environments (camps, most often), so there you should fight on foot. Also, the suggestion to keep a normal horse on your skill bar is also useful, as there is no point to bang your head in the wall, trying to navigate larger camps and towns with a war-steed. Overall, I welcome this addition, and I think most people will appreciate it in the long run.

I do have some gripes with the way mounted combat is at the moment, but minor ones. For example, I wish there was a way to set a default discipline when you mount your war-steed, because currently I always get Red Dawn by default. The same with trait specs - I would appreciate if the last picked war-steed type is remembered for each trait spec. Currently, if I have different mount types in two specs, for example light and medium, when I go from my medium spec to my light one, I get the medium horse-steed window, though I haven't put any points there. I guess these are for the suggestion forum, though.
    Violence is the last refuge of the incompetent.

Quote Originally Posted by commodore1 View Post
    I do not want to learn to play a new way

This is the primary reason some people are not able to enjoy mounted combat.....I'm not criticizing the point of view, but just saying that as long as the prejudice remains towards the one and only playstyle and the dislike for any kind of change and clean denial from even wanting to see if the new change is good is preventing many people from learning and having fun at mounted combat.....

Best thing to do.....accept that its a new playstyle....too many people are sticking with the arguments like "it doesnt feel like my class", "it feels so much different than the playstyle on foot", etc etc.....ofcourse it doesnt feel the same!.....but then who knows something new might also be interesting.....and its not like one can like only one thing at a moment.....learning something new doesnt mean the playstyle we have liked for so long and used for years is lost forever.....its just a fun change.....try it.....like it, add it to favs.....dont like it, leave it and revert back to the good old
    Last edited by silverblade5445; Oct 18 2012 at 11:31 AM.
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0e21500000003ec1c/01008/signature.png]undefined[/charsig]
    [COLOR="#AFEEEE"][B]Ivalden - 75 Captain (R2) - Imladris
    Drankorg - Warg (R5) - Landroval[/B][/COLOR]

Yeah I didnt like it at first but got used to it, and theres a nice mini instance quest where you go riding out with some NPC's to own some mobs around the farms area and that was really fun.

Shame I cant actually log in though..

Quote Originally Posted by Starrywisdom View Post
    Threads that start with 'don't talk in this thread unless...' usually don't provide much of value lol
    So, that's a vote against a thread starting "Before you complain about people not liking mounted combat and assume they must just be noobs, play as every class"?

But, I still need to say somewhere that I'm not hating mounted combat anywhere near as much as I'm hating the people who think anybody who isn't just loving this must not know what they're doing. I DO know how to drive the stupid horse. I DO know what my skills do as well as the skills for the couple other classes I played through in beta. I DID look pretty closely at how mounted combat (with various strategies) stacked up to unmounted.

I laugh every time I see somebody saying "You're doing it wrong!" when another hunter discovers that as fun as their version of mounted combat is, it is a fact that it is faster to stand still and pew-pew at riders who are doing no damage to the hunter because they are behaving just like ducks in a shooting gallery. And, that's hunters who I think have the very best implementation of mounted combat for their class (with the possible exceptions of champs and DPS-oriented RKs).

I'm not saying that mounted combat needs to go. I AM saying that the complaints about people identifying real issues with it needs to go.
    [FONT=century gothic][I][SIZE=3][B][COLOR=#b22222]So long, and thanks for all the [SIZE=3]boars.[/SIZE][/COLOR][/B][/SIZE][/I][/FONT]

Quote Originally Posted by forceofnone View Post
    I laugh every time I see somebody saying "You're doing it wrong!" when another hunter discovers that as fun as their version of mounted combat is, it is a fact that it is faster to stand still and pew-pew at riders who are doing no damage to the hunter because they are behaving just like ducks in a shooting gallery. And, that's hunters who I think have the very best implementation of mounted combat for their class (with the possible exceptions of champs and DPS-oriented RKs).

I'm not saying that mounted combat needs to go. I AM saying that the complaints about people identifying real issues with it needs to go.

People are just trying to help.....and it is not only hunters or the dps classes who have learnt or are enjoying mounted combat.....I am a loremaster and I am thoroughly enjoying my class in mounted combat......and not for dps but for the role that the class is meant to be....cc/support and even healing.....took me a while to figure everything out but I am having a blast now.....and I am not the only one....there are people from each and every class and playing different roles....dps, tanking, support, healing, etc etc.....all sorts who have got into the new playstyle and are enjoying it as well as playing it efficiently.....

Hence considering that fact that if someone at all can make it work, the mechanic itself is not broken....its something else that is wrong....and there are various reasons for it.....criticizing those who have figured out the mechanic and are making it work and are trying to make it easy for others is not really positive in my opinion.....if the mechanic was broken, EVERYONE would be having a problem with it.....which is clearly not the case.....the problem is on the individual level......and I respect those opinions who say that they dont LIKE it....its a personal choice....cool....but the mechanic is broken?.....I dont buy it....
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0e21500000003ec1c/01008/signature.png]undefined[/charsig]

Quote Originally Posted by OnyxSoulbane View Post
    I dont care for it. Yes, i have 5 points into agility, yeah it turns. Yes it makes me dizzy and gives me a headache, and yes, i still kill stuff faster when i'm on foot.

I didnt just fall off the turnip truck and i understand the mechanics entirely. I just dont like it.
    i think it handles just about OK, especially when levelled up a bit.

from the few trivially easy [e.g. one or two melee-only mobs] MC fights that i've undertaken on my mediocre-ly geared LM i can see that being on a war steed makes me much more effective in combat, with far less thought/preperation needed to dispatch mobs quickly whilst sustaining little to no damage myself.

but i am finding it very difficult to get enthusiastic about it. seems like such a chore, learning something altogether new.

i'd been worried that RoR might negatively impact my performance at work, leave me staying up till 2AM or whatever & coming in bleary-eyed the next day, but as things stand i've been more than happy to log off well before 10PM. i just can't be bothered with it. as i said on another thread, it makes LOTRO seem more like an 'action' game than RPG, and IMO blurs/changes the original disctinctions between the classes.

I'm absolutely having a blast with Mounted Combat. Personally, I prefer to use the mouse for all movement and just use the keyboard for targeting and skills, so turning on Mount Auto Slowdown was a huge help (it's in your combat settings all the way at the bottom). And the quest "Five Against the Wold" is my new favorite - it did a great job showcasing MC
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/042080000002739b1/01007/signature.png]undefined[/charsig]
    Gilcrist, 85 Man Warden, Elendilmir
    Gilfindond, 85 Elf Champion, Elendilmir

Quote Originally Posted by STEAL107 View Post
    ... i base this on actually asking players whining , what level is your mount? what discipline are you using? what relics do you have slotted? what bridle are you using? what level is it? and i get back "bridle? whats a bridle? disciplin? what are you talking about? , my mount is lvl 3 whats the difference?"
    This is probably as good a place as any to ask: Where/how do you get relics to slot on your bridle? Do they drop? Do you have to *make* them?
    Eruanne - Shards of Narsil-1 - Elendilmir -> Arkenstone

+1

I've heard so many people complaining about MC...I myself was a little iffy on it when I first got it, but I kept at got the hang of it and it AWESOME!

My only complaint is the rubber banding every now and again, I pretty used to it now. It just makes me feel like the engine has trouble supporting it.

But all in all MC is really cool and definitely worth a try.

I have gotten used to mounted combat. In fact, I find myself running in circles every time I get attacked on foot. I also keep double–tapping the "s" key to stop, while I am walking. I don't strafe anymore, I just run in a big circle.

Yes, getting used to a completely different way of moving around is tricky. I wish they could just turn me into a Centaur ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by djheydt View Post
    This is probably as good a place as any to ask: Where/how do you get relics to slot on your bridle? Do they drop? Do you have to *make* them?
    Unfortunately they don't drop, you can't even get them out of deconstructed bridles. You have to make them via melding.

Quote Originally Posted by djheydt View Post
    You have to meld them....currently that seems to be the only way of acquiring them.....the base regular ones cost 192 shards and any 3 tier 4 relics.....so pretty average.....the special ones with higher and better stats and bonuses cost much much more....and they also require some specific tier 8 relics I think.....the base ones are fairly good though

To start off, I am using light war steed with 5 in agility and all the way down the right tree, including the turning traits

My biggest issues with MC:

1) I have to switch to normal mount in town for control
    2) I often play one handed, and I haven't set up speed controls on my naga. I have auto-run on there but stopping is a major problem - or slowing down.
    3) No strafing. I don't care about realism of riding a horse in a game where I play a dward in middle earth that fights on a pony.

Great job OP. ++ rep.

The only problem is, I know Turbine. They listen to whiners without blinking an eye... and will nerf mounted combat...

Then the opposite side whines about the nerf... they change it back - or change it to some affect...

This goes on for some time until they figure out which side has the legit complaints and which side is ignorance... and then we get our final system.

Here's to hoping they have learned from the past and actually think before getting the nerf bat out.

And oh yea... I was guilty of dismissing mounted combat as lame - at first...

But I'm getting used to it. Horse is level 18 now I think and I'm seeing the difference.

I can imagine a level 50 horse is going to be AWESOME!

Thumbs up

Mouted combat is awesome! I was thrilled when I recived my mount, and from now on most of my in-game time I spent on her back Great job, Turbine, I just don't have any words anymore and can't express myself properly... What a wonderful sense of speed and freedom when you ride through endless plains and fields!

Sorry for any mistakes, not a native speaker.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast