We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Before you complain about warsteeds and mounted combat

First off, the mounted combat is incredible and deserves the credit it is owed. People are complaining before they even have a chance to experience it like it was meant. I see people running around at full speed and in circles trying to fight and cant turn and say mounted combat is horrible. We just started doing 6 man combat and its even harder but doable. First and formost level your dam horse and apply the appropriate points to manuever skills. Second level your bridles and add relics. Third set your mount speed with insert key, if you didnt know this and would just rather complain, it sets your max speed for you automatically to 25-50-75 and 100 percent. BTW you will be doing this in the 6 mans. Third if you group up and are support put yourself on follow of the main assist. Your horse will stay in range if your support or ranged combatand keep you behind the mobs if you recieve positional bonuses ( this is really big) and you can use your skills at will. This is where i think group combat with insert and follow will go.

Our tactics we are employing as a kin are extremely effective and I just wanted to share this with the public. Dont sit here in the forums or sit in glff in game and complain that mtcbt this or mtcbt that until you fully understand it. Also and this is very important. LEARN YOUR CLASS AND WHAT THE NEW SKILLS ACTUALLY DO. If your constantly running out of power dont blame mounted combat you probably left a toggle skill on which consumes 25 toon power per sec. Yes these skills as you unlock them are incredible but at a price so , use them , then turn them off to regen power. Read the skills.

And last but not least, have a regular mount and your warsteed in your toolbar. It is just easier to use the regular mount while in cities, just dismount at entrance and get on your regular mount. I mean comon you want them to change the warsteeds when nothing needs to be changed cause you cant figure out and would just rather whine. I see it all day about players trying to run around in cities and say the warsteeds are horrible in there. You are exactly right and they should be they are after all WARSTEEDS for combat not for strolling. Thanks. If you have any questions look for any Steal toon on arkenstone ill be glad to learn you mounted combat so to speak.

PS if you are getitng dizzy while fighting , stop running in circles and try zooming out and/or changing your pan/zoom angle this helps alot.
    Last edited by STEAL107; Oct 17 2012 at 02:11 PM.

Thumbs up

Thank you! Awesome explanation!

War-steed fighting is a whole new skill. It will probably come easier to young people with fast reflexes who've played a lot of twitch games, than it did to me (seventy years old and no twitch games ever).

But it's a skill and you have to practice it till you learn it.

Be sure to set Combat Options to War-steed Auto-slowdown ON. Then, when you've passed your foe and have to turn around for another pass, take your finger OFF W or up-arrow or whatever you're using. The steed will slow down and be able to turn, if not on a dime, at least on a shorter radius than it could at full speed.

Then practice, practice, practice. There are (relatively) low-level mobs between Langhold and Harwick; practice on those till your fingers have developed the appropriate reflexes.
    Eruanne - Shards of Narsil-1 - Elendilmir -> Arkenstone

So after we learn how the MC works it's acceptable to lodge our complaints? I'm sure some folks like it, that's great for them. Just don't assume that all those that don't like it are ignorant of the mechanics and how they work.

I have learned the mechanics and I still don't like it. It's not a polished product, it had potential but I don't see any of the potential exhibited in what we have been given in the game. It's clunky, awkward, slow to respond and feels about as natural as a pound of gravel in my shoe. There could be an argument made that the heavy horses could feel like that unresponsive but not the Light and Medium Steeds. These feel as awkward and clumsy as the heavy steeds.

I spent as much of my time on these things as I'm going to. Now I'm going to forget they exist and wait for the Instances to arrive. Hopefully the Instances will be put in the game in better condition than these mounts...
    [b]Reconadan[/b] 75 Hunter/R7 ::: [b]Reconamir[/b] 75 Captain/R4 ::: [b]Reconien [/b]75 Champion/R6
    [b]Reconi[/b] 75 LoreMaster/R7 ::: [b]Elavyan[/b] 75 Minstrel/R4 ::: [b]Reconorin[/b] 75 Guardian
    [b]Westfold/Kindred [/b]::: Tinker/Armourer/Historian/Explorer/Woodsman

Really good advice

I'll add a lil bit here.....also read up on what each and every one of the warsteed traits does.....the traits are different for different steed types as well....even the ones that have the same name have some difference in effect.....also many of the mounted combat skills change according to the stance (Red Dawn/Rohirrim/Riddermark) youre in.....so learn what each skill does in each stance as well....

And most important....practice figure out what movements and strategies fit your combat style best....circling, back and forth, etc etc.....
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0e21500000003ec1c/01008/signature.png]undefined[/charsig]
    [COLOR="#AFEEEE"][B]Ivalden - 75 Captain (R2) - Imladris
    Drankorg - Warg (R5) - Landroval[/B][/COLOR]

Quote Originally Posted by djheydt View Post
    War-steed fighting is a whole new skill. It will probably come easier to young people with fast reflexes who've played a lot of twitch games, than it did to me (seventy years old and no twitch games ever).

But it's a skill and you have to practice it till you learn it.

Be sure to set Combat Options to War-steed Auto-slowdown ON. Then, when you've passed your foe and have to turn around for another pass, take your finger OFF W or up-arrow or whatever you're using. The steed will slow down and be able to turn, if not on a dime, at least on a shorter radius than it could at full speed.

Then practice, practice, practice. There are (relatively) low-level mobs between Langhold and Harwick; practice on those till your fingers have developed the appropriate reflexes.
    Yep, us old people take longer to learn new motor reflex skills, and while we can get pretty good at em, we will never rise to the level of the youngins Oh and thanks for the auto-slowdown tip, I was having problems in that area.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark_J View Post
    So after we learn how the MC works it's acceptable to lodge our complaints? I'm sure some folks like it, that's great for them. Just don't assume that all those that don't like it are ignorant of the mechanics and how they work.
    May I ask what level your warsteed is and how much trait points, bridle legacy points, etc have you invested in warsteed agility and maneuverability? Just asking because its too soon to pass judgement you know.....personally took me about atleast 5-6 days to get used to it and learn it.....

And ofcourse not everyone would like it and I wouldnt expect it as well.....so I mean no disrespect your sentiments, but just trying to help if there is a chance something might be amiss
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0e21500000003ec1c/01008/signature.png]undefined[/charsig]
    [COLOR="#AFEEEE"][B]Ivalden - 75 Captain (R2) - Imladris
    Drankorg - Warg (R5) - Landroval[/B][/COLOR]

Quote Originally Posted by silverblade5445 View Post
    May I ask what level your warsteed is and how much trait points, bridle legacy points, etc have you invested in warsteed agility and maneuverability? Just asking because its too soon to pass judgement you know.....personally took me about atleast 5-6 days to get used to it and learn it.....

And ofcourse not everyone would like it and I wouldnt expect it as well.....so I mean no disrespect your sentiments, but just trying to help if there is a chance something might be amiss
    I'd say 12-15 hours dedicated to MC is enough time to learn the mechanics, and Beta practice counts...

I just don't subscribe to the idea in the OP that if you don't like MC you don't know what you're doing. while that may be true for some players, it's certainly not true for everyone.
    [b]Reconadan[/b] 75 Hunter/R7 ::: [b]Reconamir[/b] 75 Captain/R4 ::: [b]Reconien [/b]75 Champion/R6
    [b]Reconi[/b] 75 LoreMaster/R7 ::: [b]Elavyan[/b] 75 Minstrel/R4 ::: [b]Reconorin[/b] 75 Guardian
    [b]Westfold/Kindred [/b]::: Tinker/Armourer/Historian/Explorer/Woodsman

Quote Originally Posted by djheydt View Post

While this can be a good advice for some, it's not for everyone. Personally I tried auto-slowdown in beta, and I didn't like it. I rather have "autopilot" on so I can concentrate on enemies and turning. About turning (and moving in general), I mainly do that with keyboard. I find it much easier than with mouse, but that might be because I usually press both S and A/D so that my steed both slows down and turns at the same time, that makes war-steeds turn really well. I am using mouse as well, to "fine-tune" my direction.

So I think best advice would be to TRY auto-slowdown and see if that helps. As said, I don't use it and nowadays when I play my other characters who don't have their own war-steed yet, I always forget to keep W key pressed down when I start moving

Oh, I almost forgot... I had my suspicions about this whole mounted combat thing as soon as I heard it coming. I doubted that devs can actually pull it off so that it is actually fun. Then in beta, the camera stuttering and new maneuvering system caused me to HATE it. I mostly fought on foot, and rarely used my war-steed. But when 5.3 update came, the camera stuttering disappeared and I could actually start using my war-steed because it was easier now since the stuttering was gone. I grew to like it, especially when I they upgraded Rune-keepers DPS in mounted combat AND I found out that Riddermark discipline was the way to go with that class. Now in live, playing as minstrel, I absolutely LOVE mounted combat and I cannot wait to get another mounted combat instance quest!
    Last edited by Gilean-EU; Oct 17 2012 at 04:35 PM.

Mounted combat is like moria. Some people like it, other hate it, and other don't care either way. Its acceptable to lodge complaints about it.

This is not acceptable: I HATE MOUNTED COMBAT!!! TURBINE MUST REMOVE MOUNTED COMBAT FROM THE GAME!!!!!!

If you don't like it say why you don't like it and move on. Let those who enjoy mounted combat use it.
    Fordakidz(sapience) says, 'THIS IS MY ROCK! THERE ARE MANY LIKE IT BUT THIS ONE IS MINE!

Quote Originally Posted by Nindolvoth View Post
    Mounted combat is like moria. Some people like it, other hate it, and other don't care either way. Its acceptable to lodge complaints about it.

This is not acceptable: I HATE MOUNTED COMBAT!!! TURBINE MUST REMOVE MOUNTED COMBAT FROM THE GAME!!!!!!

If you don't like it say why you don't like it and move on. Let those who enjoy mounted combat use it.
    This is so true, I hope people will listen. I don't have any characters high enough to play this yet (Been playing since 2010, but I level really slowly as I wind up getting distracted and doing other things besides leveling) so I have to live vicariously through my husband with this. It sure looks like fun to me though!

Quote Originally Posted by Mark_J View Post
    I'd say 12-15 hours dedicated to MC is enough time to learn the mechanics, and Beta practice counts...

I just don't subscribe to the idea in the OP that if you don't like MC you don't know what you're doing. while that may be true for some players, it's certainly not true for everyone.
    I just got back to the post , i was hoping this became "how can you improve in mtcb" I never said if you dont like you must be doing something wrong. I was just mentioning, and i base this on actually asking players whining , what level is your mount? what discipline are you using? what relics do you have slotted? what bridle are you using? what level is it? and i get back "bridle? whats a bridle? disciplin? what are you talking about? , my mount is lvl 3 whats the difference?" These are just some of the examples, I aplogize if it seemed liked i grouped everyone who hates mounted combat together, I was just mentioning possible solutions to help players who really hate it. My mount is lvl 41, I am 45 years old , not young, have no reflexes. But I do recommend leaving auto run turn ON cause when you do group instances and the new mounted raids you cant be running away from your group.

Try using follow on the tank with the champs then the minnies use follow on the champs, and so forth that way your tank sets the speed of battle and you dont have to control your mount at all. Your mount will m atch the speed of the tank and it turns better then if you turn it yourself. Try it, this works great for the big bosses. We have been testing it all day and we got it down to a science. Good luck and please add your mounted experiences or advice here. Thanks

Completely new to MC (decided not to participate in beta) and I have to say I am loving it so far!! I never used to bother stopping to kill a random mob in the landscape, but now, hell yea I do, it's FUN! Just started tinkering with the skills etc & it is moving & turning much better already. I am appreciating the 4 different speeds, too. Give it a chance, folks! Read the tooltips & skills, just like anything this is a NEW mechanic & ya gotta learn it, it's going to feel awkward at first like anything else I suppose. Anyways, well done, Turbine!
    [color=purple]Cefely Elenhilde of Rivendell, lvl 85 Hunter;[/color][color=turquoise] Nenriel Lirulind of Lorien, lvl 85 Minstrel;[/color][color=hotpink] Cherrie Berry of the Fallohides, lvl 85 Burglar;[/color][color=green] Harloe Palohelm of Rohan, lvl 85 Warden;[/color][color=red] Ayan Anfalase of Gondor, lvl 85 Captain;[/color][color=yellow] Onja Anfalase of Gondor, lvl 83 Champion[/color]
    [color=cyan]Leader of founding Kinship Elenhilde on Meneldor[/color]

I hate to say it, but, I love the MC aspect of the game. At first it was very cumbersome, however, the more I ride, the more I love it. Steep learning curve, but worth the effort.
    "The Great Down Time of 2013" - Insanesoul

I have to admit that I wasn't to excided when Turbine announced mounted combat in the next xpack. But now that I have finally gotten to the point in the xpack to get a war-steed and have killed a few mobs here and there, been learning the controls and combat spells and what-not, I have to say, I'm very impressed with this xpack so far. I'm beginning to think this is lotro best xpack to date!
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/032020000002f1f5b/01007/signature.png]undefined[/charsig]

I dont care for it. Yes, i have 5 points into agility, yeah it turns. Yes it makes me dizzy and gives me a headache, and yes, i still kill stuff faster when i'm on foot.

I didnt just fall off the turnip truck and i understand the mechanics entirely. I just dont like it.
    [COLOR=#ff0000][I]All my devotion betrayed, I am no longer afraid
    I was too blinded too see, How much you've stolen from me

[/I][/COLOR]

I'd love it if the Arise skill actually gave power and fury as stated in the Dev diary. As it is now I find it difficult to kill more than 3 mobs before mount is out of power (no toggles on). Anyone else noticing Arise skill does nothing?

Quote Originally Posted by giniluv View Post
    I'd love it if the Arise skill actually gave power and fury as stated in the Dev diary. As it is now I find it difficult to kill more than 3 mobs before mount is out of power (no toggles on). Anyone else noticing Arise skill does nothing?
    Well, I mainly played rune-keeper in beta and I bugged this three times in beta, after different builds... Yes, it does not work. It only returns power for YOU and not for your war-steed. But I am pretty sure it did work with some other class I tested with. I did not notice that my power ran out THAT fast though. But it helps a lot if you invest on those skills that increase your power (the green skills on top of your trait tree, the right legacies for your bridle, and blue tree in general). Luckily with minstrel I have one skill on my rotation that always returns my power so I never run out. While with RK I used to be low on power very often. Yes, the classes are not quite balanced where mounted combat is concerned, for example ranged classes in general are having a LOT easier time than melee classes.

By the way, RK has easier time in one occasion: Their skills work 360 degrees, so you can just keep going and DPS mobs all around you. Although minstrels do not have power problems, we cannot use our skills 360 degrees, it depends on skill but most seem to be a bit over 180 degrees or so.

Awesome Post, really this is what all those people need to read before they say MC is broken or is &&&&...

It takes some practice to get it right, and ofcourse leveling your horse is key...
    Its like people complaining when they start a new character they die every time in GB while they are level 10 or what ever... and say this class sucks :P (i know you can not enter at lvl 10 but Derp, take it as an example :P )
    [SIZE=3][COLOR=#ff0000][B]-Faustino Hasharin-
    [/B][/COLOR][SIZE=2][I][B][COLOR=#800080]The House of Midnight[/COLOR][/B][/I][/SIZE][/SIZE]
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/2521c0000000e67d0/01000/signature.png]undefined[/charsig]

Quote Originally Posted by STEAL107 View Post
    Try using follow on the tank with the champs then the minnies use follow on the champs, and so forth that way your tank sets the speed of battle and you dont have to control your mount at all. Your mount will m atch the speed of the tank and it turns better then if you turn it yourself. Try it, this works great for the big bosses. We have been testing it all day and we got it down to a science. Good luck and please add your mounted experiences or advice here. Thanks
    That sounds really exiting! should I go and make a coffee while waiting for the fight to finish. (said in jest)

I have not done enough yet to say with certainty if I like/hate or am ambivalent to MC. It does seem to need some work especially in actually teaching us to use them.

The intro did not even come close to doing so. I think an instance like five against the wold would have made a great finish to the intro. Set it up with a number of waves of varying numbers. Each of the waves could have been tied to a discipline, with each of the riders with you giving instruction on a different discipline and then sending you out to put it into practice. Tie in the differnet methods of speeding up, slowing etc would have given me a much better start to MC.

At the start of the game we get a whole intro area with numerous tips on combat etc to set us on our way. Now we are being given a new mechanic and starting from scratch and you give us a 5 minute intro!!
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/042080000000e8954/01003/signature.png]Yurick[/charsig]

Also and this is very important. LEARN YOUR CLASS
    Actually, I did, over the last 5 years I learned to play Lore-Master reasonably competently, I have no desire to be forced to learn a totally different class (mounted combat has nothing to do with being a pet-using Lore-Master).

This is why I hate MC, and why I hate the fact Turbine want to force me to endure it or else lock me out of core content. It if were optional, like PVMP then fine, but it's not, which is why I hate the whole concept.

To add the other side of the story, I think mounted combat is great. Sure, you have to re-learn, but the results are worthwhile. Mounted Combat has added a new dimension to the game. Sure, there are a million things I can think of that can use improvement, but as an addition, the people at Turbine deserve a big pat on the back for a job well done.

It isn't finished, but it's usable, and is already great fun in its present form if you just allow yourself to see it as a different tack and get into it. Sure, you play your character differently than you have the past 75 levels, but to be honest the change of pace is very welcome to me.

The main thing I'd like to see is the ability to do mounted combat over the rest of the map. Most monsters there are trivial obviously, but I occasionally still feel the need to go out and skewer some. I'd love to be able to do that on horseback.

But all in all, there are allways people out there who are not going to like a change, that's a shame, as it really is a great addition to the game. For turbine's sake I hope they're smart enough to extend it down in levels, because that's important to keep new players coming, but I think it's a really great update, and I've only just gotten started. Well done Turbine.

Quote Originally Posted by OnyxSoulbane View Post
    I dont care for it. Yes, i have 5 points into agility, yeah it turns. Yes it makes me dizzy and gives me a headache, and yes, i still kill stuff faster when i'm on foot.

I didnt just fall off the turnip truck and i understand the mechanics entirely. I just dont like it.
    This... so very much this.

I play with a 300+ ping and the horse lags so badly its almost uncontrolable. Normal horses do not lag like this only the combat horse. It is so bad I have given up on the mounted combat entirely.

First off, the mounted combat is incredible and deserves the credit it is owed. .
    Assumes your opinion is automatically correct, and all other opinions are automatically incorrect.

Not the best way to start.

All The Best

Agreed that MC feels very clunky at first but it does get better! Definitely work your trait tree and experiment with what feels best. Get your bridle levelled and add a few relics - even the basic ones make a difference.

I haven't had the chance to do the coordinated grouping that the OP has been working on, but have found that just grouping up with a few friends and tackling some warbands or even some random mobs can be a lot of fun. You get to laugh at each other as you learn and at some point you start to realize it's getting more comfortable and actually feels pretty awesome once you get the hang of it.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast