We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Guide to reduce sillyness of War-steeds movement

If you don't want to read it all, just read RED texts, it covers everything. Lazy...

As you might notice, the warsteeds are... hard to control, actually really hard at the beggining, but it's only at the beggining, these are a few steps i did follow in beta to make the horse is easier to control, and in live my horse it's so perfect that it almost matches the normal horses.

To make you understand the example, a horse is like a LI, a third age with no relics and level 1 is... a really bad weapon. But a level 70 LI with all relics and legacies... hey, there you might have a really good weapon.
    Basically the war-steeds handle the same system, your level 1 horse is freaking hard to control, but your level 20 horse with traits and stats is way easier.

1: To learn how to use a war-steed, you want a Light one, it haves better response.
    - Press Shift + M.
    - Go to Traits tab.
    - At the top you will see a label that says Medium, change it to Light.

2: Trait yellow to reduce movement penalties.
    The traits lines are Red for DPS, Blue for Survability, Yellow for movement. Most people trait Red or Blue at the beggining because that fits them, that's a BIG misstake, you are learning how to control your horse, trait yellow!. Traiting yellow in a horse is really useful, you can make that the circle if you are spinning around an enemy becomes just half circle, all that happen because yellow trait line increase Agility, speed, turn rate, response from your keyboard and such.
    - Trait 5 Points of agility.
    - Trait full yellow, all points in yellow, no exceptions.
    Later on, weeks from now, if you already do pretty nice with your horse, you can consider to go Red or Blue.

3: Your horse must level up, at the beggining you got a level 1 horse, you can't spend trait points on anything good yet, don't worry, just do quest (Unmounted quest also give the horse experience) and level your horse, at about level 18 you are probably able to Trait your horse with 5 Agility and full yellow traits.
    - Level up your horse before you hate it.
    The difference can be as big as the difference from a new LI weapon and a end-game raiding top legacied and relics slotted LI weapon. BIG difference, but this time it improves horse movement.

4: Your bridle, you really want to use your bridle to maximize the 3 points above, the bridle is a LI item that not only will increase skills damage, it can also increase yellow trait skills or other stats (My bridle haves +66 war-steed agility ).
    - Use legacies that fits your trait line in your bridle.

5: Now some info that is not documented but it's really useful.
    - Go to options, Combat options, enable Auto-Slowdown on war-steeds.
    That will work to make you stop running if you are not pressing any key so the horse won't be running forever like a stupid horse. It will slow movement until stop when you stop pressing W key for movement.

6: Stopping can be problematic, but i sorted this out really really easy, the only thing you need to do to stop near an NPC or whenever you want to change another direction is to Double Tap S. Double tap the key S will automatically force your horse to STOP in a second.
    - Double Tap S key to stop in a second, regardless of your speed.

Good luck, and... remember,don't hate your war-steed until you are using all this 6 tips, you will find out your horse is 90% easier to control than before.
    Last edited by Saelyth; Oct 17 2012 at 12:56 PM.

way too much to do just to use the stupid thing. I'll stay on foot thank you

Add to the guide: if you double tap s and use the right mouse button to turn you will do a quick turn around on a dime.

This is some very good advice, thanks. I've been traiting yellow and increasing agility on mine, and it's making the experience much better. My bridle has agility legacy as well, so i've been putting all my points into that.

I'm sorry for the moderator that moved this thread to mounted combat, but can we again move it to General subforum? i did created there because this issue is affecting most players and we both know that most players only read the general subforum. Thanks in advance. (can delete this post if the thread it's moved)

Thanks, Saelyth. Very helpful guide.
    Last edited by airsoftg36c; Oct 17 2012 at 10:10 PM.

Thanks for the guide. I did trait blue as you mentioned, with 5 agility. I'll switch to yellow.

Btw, learning this new combat stuff is tons of fun! It'll keep me busy for weeks. Thanks devs!

Thank you for this thread. Like many others I was struggling with my new war horse and started to develop a dislike for it, but using your tips has made it much easier. I just might be over the hump now!
    Out of the Great Sea to Middle-earth I am come. In this place will I abide, and my heirs, unto the ending of the world.

Quote Originally Posted by Beruthiel View Post
    Wow, you are insanely lazy. You sound like a kid who gets butt hurt when something doesn't go exactly your way every time. You want the war steed to be awesome but you don't want to do anything to make it awesome. The point of the game is to build your character up and make it how you want it. OF COURSE the war steed is going to handle like &&&& when you first get it. Was your toon badass at level 1, HELL NO. You worked on it and got it up and running. Why the hell would war steed be any different? I had massive issues with MC during beta but now that I've actually leveled and worked (keyword here, worked) to get it up to where it is now it's really fun. Sure, there are some issues with it but I feel they will be fixed in the coming weeks.
    Last edited by JohnAPrescott; Oct 20 2012 at 03:00 PM.

How dare you tell me how to play! I've already decided that I hate MC after I couldn't kill something on my level 4 horse as fast as I can on foot. Don't make me reconsider my initial impression!!!1!!ONE!!

Just kidding. I love MC! +Rep for trying to help!

Quote Originally Posted by Beruthiel View Post
    Your loss.

Another thing for your guide

To help with movement with using auto-stop...using 'W' or 'up-arrow' or right & left mouse at same time.

Hit the 'insert' key:
    first time = walk, about 1/4 speed max
    second time = trot, about 1/2 speed max
    third time = canter, about 3/4 speed max
    fourth time = gallop, full speed
    (remember to hit 'insert' once dismounted so you don't walk)

I use auto-stop and canter and right/left mouse while using the mouse to turn...and use left hand to use the 1,2,3,4,5 etc, to attack.

Only trouble i had at the beginning was controlling the mouse up and down to change the angle of the view...took some time to keep it at a 45 degree view angle, and not get into top down view.

I hated MC at first, but now love it using these tricks.
    XanThorr the Well-Met
    "Meddle not in the affairs of dragons for you are crunchy and good with ketchup"

~~Xanthorr 100 Hunter ~~Xanaxier 100 Guardian ~~Beeornfree 100 Beorning

Quote Originally Posted by Saelyth View Post
    I'm sorry for the moderator that moved this thread to mounted combat, but can we again move it to General subforum? i did created there because this issue is affecting most players and we both know that most players only read the general subforum. Thanks in advance. (can delete this post if the thread it's moved)
    I'm very happy the thread was moved. When I want information on a specific topic, I first look at the forum that seems most appropriate for my questions.

If you haven't gotten your War Steed yet, or you just got it, some tips to get it levelled up quickly:

1. Save task items, ahead of time if possible, and turn them in after acquiring the steed. They give Steed XP and can help you get a levelor two quickly so you can pour points into the yellow line.

2. You can use any LI bridle on any steed. The major legacies only help the matching weight of steed, but the minors are common to all steeds. Heavy bridle with bonuses to agility, strength, endurance, or power is just lovely on a Light Steed. Useful if you have an LI pill saved up to take that first bridle through it's 3 reforges to get the minor traits.

3. Go to Cliving and knock off the half dozen in-town quests (see the two gold ring NPCs near the milestone) as soon as you get the steed. Nice big chunk of Steed XP for these, maybe as much as 2-3 levels worth. Just running around town. Couple more from the Reeve after those which are just running around the countryside warning crofters and clicking flags.
    Cener, Ingo, Rilibald, Hesred, Halras, Loringo
    Arkenstone (ex-Elendilmir) - The Osgiliath Guard
    [url]http://www.theoldergamers.com[/url]

I posted this in another thread. I'll post it again here.

---

For me, Warsteed maneouvering is fun. Yes, it sucks when you hit a wall or something and stopping your momentum.

If you want to train your Warsteed controls, follow these steps:

1. Go outside Hytbold and face yourself to the west gate. A little farther so you can build up speed.
    2. Now Gallop at full speed towards the gate.
    3. Enter Hytbold and control your warsteed not to hit the palisades on your way up until you reach the Mead Hall.
    4. From the Mead Hall, do the same thing until you get out of the gates of Hytbold.

Cliving is also a good training ground. From the south gate, gallop at full speed until you get to the Mead hall, then back to the gates.

Try doing this in other towns, even in non-Rohan areas like Bree, Rivendell, etc. It's good practice. If you find yourself not hitting palisades, gates, and walls anymore at full speed, it means you have full control of your Warsteed.

This is how I learned to control the Warsteed effectively. I hope it works for others.

I've tried a light horse but find it to be worse than the medium down to the laggy nature of the MC stuff. A medium horse has just a bit more of a chance to survive that 5 second stutter that comes when you encounter a warband and lurches you into combat with them and 4-5 other mobs.

Personally due to the costs and grind of the LI bits I'm pretty much ignoring any relics until I hit 85. Playtime isnt enjoyable enough to grind out umpteen shards.

Insert key for toggling max speed is very very useful when the game throws a hissy fit and its faster to trot through a town, although for ease of use you may want to consider rebinding it to somewhere closer to the fingers for ease of use. Reducing your max speed in combat doesnt hurt that much if you're circling around the target, different for a charge and wheel tactic.

Going 5/5 in agility should be enough to get most people underway with a more controlable horse rather than sinking every point into the yellow tree. Medium horse can get the turn rate down with half a dozen or so points in yellow after that you may as well go red/blue.

If the game actually runs well enough to ride through anywhere at full tilt then practice your jumping and steering, the rest of us will just seethe in our saddles as we trot around things.

Thumbs down Chill out, the physics really do suck.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnAPrescott View Post
    Wow, you are insanely lazy. You sound like a kid who gets butt hurt when something doesn't go exactly your way every time. You want the war steed to be awesome but you don't want to do anything to make it awesome. The point of the game is to build your character up and make it how you want it. OF COURSE the war steed is going to handle like &&&& when you first get it. Was your toon badass at level 1, HELL NO. You worked on it and got it up and running. Why the hell would war steed be any different? I had massive issues with MC during beta but now that I've actually leveled and worked (keyword here, worked) to get it up to where it is now it's really fun. Sure, there are some issues with it but I feel they will be fixed in the coming weeks.
    John A. Prescott, you need to chill out. I'm a professional game designer with 25 years in the industry and I'm here to tell you that games are not supposed to start off hard and get easy, they're supposed to start off easy and get hard at an appropriately moderate pace. Level 1 characters only have Level 1 opponents to fight, which is right. The physics and controls of war-steeds are so screwed up I can hardly believe it -- mine slides sideways around curves, even at a gentle trot, like a Bugatti with bald tires hitting a patch of ice. Games live or die by their controls -- I know this from six years working on Madden NFL for Electronic Arts. Also, this is an RPG, not Grand Prix Legends. If I wanted to play a vehicle that required a lot of fine tuning, I'd play a hardcore car racing game.

If the war-steed were a new player's first experience of the game, they would give up in disgust... and rightly so. The physics are so bad they actually make me seasick, especially the sudden acceleration for no reason when I'm moving at a walking pace with my finger OFF the W button. Real horses have inertia, but they also have traction and a sense of self-preservation.

You're also resurrecting a thread over a year old, containing outdated information. That's some forum necromancy just to point out that you think a poster was wrong a year ago about a feature of the game that has since seen several updates.

The age of the post isn't relevant. Someone searching for help, as I was, is going to encounter the attitude. Also, if this is what the game is like AFTER several revisions, Turbine clearly still has a long way to go.

Quote Originally Posted by EWAdams View Post
    The age of the post isn't relevant.
    No, that's wrong.

This thread is only reflective of the time it was created, and lacks relevance now that the devs have addressed most of the issues, albeit not entirely satisfactory.
    Furthermore, given that changes have been made, and time has passed, it's very well possible that the person you quoted no longer has that opinion.

Finally, were you even playing a year ago when mounted combat first went live? Because, if you're as completely ignorant, as you seem to be, of how the mounted combat used to be, then your lack of context makes your input on the now defunct topic entirely lacking in relevance.

Presumably, http://www.mobygames.com/developer/s...eloperId,7083/

Regardless, it's pretty pretentious when the first words out of your mouth are " I'm a professional game designer with 25 years in the industry and I'm here to tell you that..."

Your vast experience with John Madden Football doesn't really have much relevance to RPG design. The "starts easy and gets harder" may work for sports games, but that has never been the model for RPG.

Guess what? I started playing RPGs when D&D first came out. 1st edition. ADVANCED Dungeons & Dungeons, Ernest. Rolling 1d4 hit points for my level-1 magic-user, with one stupid level-1 spell castable per day, and hoping like hell I wouldn't get hit by an orc arrow before I hit level 2 much less end up roasting in the hot belly of a platinum dragon.

My 30+ years in RPGs informs me that progression in RPGs is all about starting off weak (i.e. game is hard) and making your character stronger (i.e. game is easier), creating the sense of accomplishment that comes from surviving that journey. It is exactly the opposite of the "start easy, build up challenge" that you profess.

With the recent lag issues, I've found the need to Triple-Tap the back key instead of Double Tapping in order to get the horse to register a stop.
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0b20c00000000a2d6/01003/signature.png]undefined[/charsig]

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Saelyth View Post
    If you don't want to read it all, just read RED texts, it covers everything. Lazy...

As you might notice, the warsteeds are... hard to control, actually really hard at the beggining, but it's only at the beggining, these are a few steps i did follow in beta to make the horse is easier to control, and in live my horse it's so perfect that it almost matches the normal horses.

To make you understand the example, a horse is like a LI, a third age with no relics and level 1 is... a really bad weapon. But a level 70 LI with all relics and legacies... hey, there you might have a really good weapon.
    Basically the war-steeds handle the same system, your level 1 horse is freaking hard to control, but your level 20 horse with traits and stats is way easier.

1: To learn how to use a war-steed, you want a Light one, it haves better response.
    - Press Shift + M.
    - Go to Traits tab.
    - At the top you will see a label that says Medium, change it to Light.

2: Trait yellow to reduce movement penalties.
    The traits lines are Red for DPS, Blue for Survability, Yellow for movement. Most people trait Red or Blue at the beggining because that fits them, that's a BIG misstake, you are learning how to control your horse, trait yellow!. Traiting yellow in a horse is really useful, you can make that the circle if you are spinning around an enemy becomes just half circle, all that happen because yellow trait line increase Agility, speed, turn rate, response from your keyboard and such.
    - Trait 5 Points of agility.
    - Trait full yellow, all points in yellow, no exceptions.
    Later on, weeks from now, if you already do pretty nice with your horse, you can consider to go Red or Blue.

3: Your horse must level up, at the beggining you got a level 1 horse, you can't spend trait points on anything good yet, don't worry, just do quest (Unmounted quest also give the horse experience) and level your horse, at about level 18 you are probably able to Trait your horse with 5 Agility and full yellow traits.
    - Level up your horse before you hate it.
    The difference can be as big as the difference from a new LI weapon and a end-game raiding top legacied and relics slotted LI weapon. BIG difference, but this time it improves horse movement.

4: Your bridle, you really want to use your bridle to maximize the 3 points above, the bridle is a LI item that not only will increase skills damage, it can also increase yellow trait skills or other stats (My bridle haves +66 war-steed agility ).
    - Use legacies that fits your trait line in your bridle.

5: Now some info that is not documented but it's really useful.
    - Go to options, Combat options, enable Auto-Slowdown on war-steeds.
    That will work to make you stop running if you are not pressing any key so the horse won't be running forever like a stupid horse. It will slow movement until stop when you stop pressing W key for movement.

6: Stopping can be problematic, but i sorted this out really really easy, the only thing you need to do to stop near an NPC or whenever you want to change another direction is to Double Tap S. Double tap the key S will automatically force your horse to STOP in a second.
    - Double Tap S key to stop in a second, regardless of your speed.

Good luck, and... remember,don't hate your war-steed until you are using all this 6 tips, you will find out your horse is 90% easier to control
    than before.

Very good information here, and I totally agree! I love my warsteed! People need to give time to get use to it and like you said it gets better once traited and fully bridled right. Once the steed is leveled up it is amazing the difference it makes and fun the warsteed can be.. and the auto slowdown for areas and in town is great.. Just need a little patience and leveling and some love for the warsteed.. I ride mine everywhere

Good post here...

“War must be, while we defend our lives against a destroyer who would devour all; but I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend.”

? J.R.R. Tolkien, The Two Towers

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Gedrevn View Post
    With the recent lag issues, I've found the need to Triple-Tap the back key instead of Double Tapping in order to get the horse to register a stop.

There is also a Stop skill as well works instantly

Quote Originally Posted by WildwindFire View Post
    Very good information here, and I totally agree! I love my warsteed! People need to give time to get use to it and like you said it gets better once traited and fully bridled right. Once the steed is leveled up it is amazing the difference it makes and fun the warsteed can be.. and the auto slowdown for areas and in town is great.. Just need a little patience and leveling and some love for the warsteed.. I ride mine everywhere

Good post here...

“War must be, while we defend our lives against a destroyer who would devour all; but I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend.”

? J.R.R. Tolkien, The Two Towers
    I really hope you don't agree with this info...lol

Most is no longer relevant at all. Then again your response is dead on, time is the only thing that helps the war horse.
    Holding on by the last hair on the dwarfs beard.

You people make me so mad with all the #### you come out with none of these things make any difference to the turn rate and maneuverability of these stupid mounts I have done all the said above and its still useless if you cant come up with anything that actually helps then don't bother. Angry and frustrated.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast