We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    I first read LOTR back when I was a teenager. I was very enthralled with Stephen King novels and read most of them. I also enjoyed his "Dark Tower" series. I was an awkward kid, had no friends. This was in the 1990s before the internet was big and way before I even an internet-ready computer.

There was a very casual mention in "The Talisman" which was co-authored with Peter Straub. The young protagonist who ventured from the real world and into a fantasy land called The Territories was amazed that his one friend Richard didn't seem to have any fiction books in his dorm room. Not even "Lord of the Rings!" I was intrigued by this.

A quick search at the library and I was hip-deep into LOTR. I learned as much about Tolkien as I could and how he'd written about Middle-Earth. I bought my nieces copies a copy of "The Hobbit" before they were old enough to read. The idea was for my sister to read it to them but she was oblivious and insisted they were too young to read something like that.

LOTR and the Dark Tower was the basis of my writing "The Res Kid", a fantasy book of my own. I started it on First Choice software on the Tandy 1000 EX and it spanned five or ten 5.25 floppy disks because the software only let you have so many pages on each file. I polished that story, added to it, revised it, and grew tired of it in the span of 20 years or so.

I've written several books, none of which professionally published, but many on Print On Demand or on Kindle or Nook.

My favorite character from LOTR was Gollum. I felt his death was best realized by the animated "Return of the King" film. He taught me about life, obsession, addiction, and the great lengths one would go through for survival in a harsh, cruel world. As for Stephen King, I wouldn't have read him had it not been for my sister gifting me a couple of his short story collections plus "Drawing of Three" which was part two of Dark Tower. She'd also given me "Geek Love" by Katherine Dunn and when I was in 10th grade my bro got me "Insomnia" by Stephen King.

I've gotten many books over the years from my siblings later on but these early gifts taught me how awesome it was to read and to write. I spend most days online today... not exactly making any master pieces, just pecking away at the kb...

EDIT: Oh, I forgot something. Prior to the movies having been released in theatres, I had been depressed and suicidal. I then read a magazine article about how there were going to be LOTR movies. I swore I'd stay around long to at least watch those movies!!! Well, I got my act together, visited support groups, and found a small variety of friends to hang out with... and I no longer have thoughts of harming myself...

Quote Originally Posted by Dane77 View Post
    In my 2nd year at this school (when I was 12) the tweed jacket wearing, baldy, bearded blatant ex-hippie english teacher brought in 'The Hobbit' for the class to read out in our English Language classes in 5 minute turns, and we began to read it.

I was absolutely hooked - I read the rest of it at home and pretended I didn't at school (children eh?). Retrospectively I might imagine there was some relation between Bilbo being taken off into this strange land with no control.. but in truth suspect I just loved the adventure, warmth and humour in the whole tone of the book.
    Ah... reading for me is best summed up by that old movie "A Never Ending Story." In it a young boy who is bullied chances upon a book at a book store. He then goes to school and hides in the attic. He reads feverishly for days and days and days while the world of the story is depicted in his imagination. I can't express my joy for the scene where... well.. we find out he has become a pillar of the story and is given the right to name the princess as well as ride upon the dragon, scaring the bullies so much that they hide in a dumpster!

Now that's a great movie that should be re-released or or put back into theatres!
    Last edited by fack; Mar 31 2013 at 05:30 PM.
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0a20b0000000c4b15/01001/signature.png]Goling[/charsig]

Quote Originally Posted by Dol_Amroth_Knight View Post
    How Sam perseveres with his friend Frodo on a practical suicide mission and sticks with him through thick and thin..

I absolutely loved this, especially at the end where Frodo started to give in to his exhaustion and Sam kept pushing him on. I just could these two people that grew up smoking pipe weed and growing gardens so far away from home in a totally hostile environment on a suicide mission(and they did not see much chance in making back) with a miserable "ring addict" at their very heels, while deep inside enemy territory and on their way to INSIDE a volcano.

And what was Sam sad about? Throwing his cooking ware away.

By Sauron, I love those books. They took me to places that only exist in my imagination.
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, totally worn out & proclaiming "WOW, what a ride!"
    Continuing the never ending battle to keep Lobelia Sackville-Baggins in check

Quote Originally Posted by Nymphonic View Post

By Sauron, I love those books. They took me to places that only exist in my imagination.
    I question the wisdom in swearing an oath to him.... and I would also say the books are in all our imaginations as well.
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0a20b0000000c4b15/01001/signature.png]Goling[/charsig]

Quote Originally Posted by fack View Post
    I question the wisdom in swearing an oath to him....
    Well, I'm hoping against hope that someday he will make me a ring of power also! No one else will!
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, totally worn out & proclaiming "WOW, what a ride!"
    Continuing the never ending battle to keep Lobelia Sackville-Baggins in check

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2