We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

OP Mounted Captain

Any other captains find our mounted skills make us pretty damn powerful? I've one-shoted many landscape mobs, compared to my hunter friend who needs at least 4-5 attacks to kill a mob.

My guard can 1-shot mobs. If I have full fury, use Rohan's Edge, and hit Pledge to Rohan (the +10% damage, name might be wrong). Is your hunter friend attacking at full fury? Because full fury gives you a good extra 4k on crits.

It is easier to one-shot something as a cappy than as most other classes.

My lvl84 RK with a relatively high level steed has lower damage output than my lvl76 captain with a lvl3 steed From the beta experience I know how to tune RK's mounted combat to make it comparable to captain, but captains don't need anything. They are strong from the start. I would call that OP, yes.
    Ishtarien - Captain 100
    Ishtarel - HNT 100 / Ishtaridas - LRM 100 / Cabernetta - GRD 100 / Ishtari - RNK 100 / Ishti - BRG 100 / Lunasa - MNS 100 / Medovinus - BRN 100
    The Mellowship - [EN] Eldar -> [EN] Evernight

Finally the OP we deserve!!!! FORTH EORLINGAS!!

It's a nice inversion from the way things are unmounted. :P

I'm not one-shotting mobs that often, but I'm also only at mount level 2 or 3, and I haven't been putting points into DPS. Still, I can frequently kill mobs in the East Wall just by using the two mounted shouts. Sometimes, I have to queue in a melee attack as well, but not that often.

Feels good!
    [b][SIZE=3][COLOR="#FFFFFF"]Cainwen Ciaphas[/COLOR][/SIZE][/b][COLOR="#C3C3C3"], Captain of Crickhollow, [url=http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Literature/CiaphasCain]HERO OF MIDDLE EARTH[/url]!!!
    [i]I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed, or numbered![/i] My opinions are my own![/color]

I have to be careful when I am grouped up and doing some of the kill X mobs quests as the new tapping rules for fellowships mean that other people you are grouped with won't get credit for the kill if you 1 shot it (unless they have a HoT or some other valid effect on you). It lead to alot of confusion initially for me as the people I was fellowed with often had different progress on the quests than I did.
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0120300000005f597/01003/signature.png]undefined[/charsig]
    [b][color=cyan]Chroner[/color][/b] - R5 Champion * [b][color=cyan]Cronor[/color][/b] - R7 Lore-master
    [b][color=cyan]Qroner[/color][/b] - R5 Minstrel * [b][color=cyan]Qronir[/color][/b] - R5 Rune-keeper

Quote Originally Posted by ferrariroger View Post
    Finally the OP we deserve!!!! FORTH EORLINGAS!!
    Best expansion ever!

Quote Originally Posted by Chroner View Post
    I have to be careful when I am grouped up and doing some of the kill X mobs quests as the new tapping rules for fellowships mean that other people you are grouped with won't get credit for the kill if you 1 shot it (unless they have a HoT or some other valid effect on you). It lead to alot of confusion initially for me as the people I was fellowed with often had different progress on the quests than I did.
    Same problem here, a bit frustrating...

Quote Originally Posted by Fendrone View Post
    Same problem here, a bit frustrating...
    yeah, I never was so happy to get frustrated before lol

Non mounted combat dps on my Minstrel actually seems weak at 85 compared to 75 and yes feels like a huge nerf except I think it's really the case of mob tactical mitigations (I could be wrong)because in some areas it feels normal but in most areas the dps is very low(example hitting 300-200 or random numbers on skills that say anywhere from 800-2500). It's not great on mounted either. So yes I think the cappy is probably OP as I said in Beta too. Except in beta both cappy and hunter were op. It seems that they fixed the hunter. I also think they need to fix mob mitigations or minstrel dps since I really have no idea how everyone else is faring.
    Last edited by Norwrei; Oct 18 2012 at 09:05 PM. Reason: typo

I am discovering I am a death machine on my steed.

I am using a Light Steed, fully traited into Yellow and I am now half way down the Red tree. I use Riddermark stance. My Captain is destroying things.

Cry Wrath AoE is incredible. Boom 6000 damage for you and 5 of your friends. Cry Havoc also regularly hits for over 4000. Not much still alive after that combo. With the speed and turning ability on the Light Steed, maxed with Yellow, nothing gets close to you.

Captains like to talk about being OP because it is the first time ever they got decent dps.

At the same time captains lost their buffs and almost all healing abilities and dps-wise they are not stronger than any of the dps classes on a war-steed. AoE skills are good and a decent power return is useful, but hunter/champion/rk have much better self-healing. All these classes (and I am sure not only these) soloed the strongest warband (Bugud) already.

I feel sorry for burgs though
    Ishtarien - Captain 100
    Ishtarel - HNT 100 / Ishtaridas - LRM 100 / Cabernetta - GRD 100 / Ishtari - RNK 100 / Ishti - BRG 100 / Lunasa - MNS 100 / Medovinus - BRN 100

Quote Originally Posted by Lunasa View Post
    Captains like to talk about being OP because it is the first time ever they got decent dps.

At the same time captains lost their buffs and almost all healing abilities and dps-wise they are not stronger than any of the dps classes on a war-steed. AoE skills are good and a decent power return is useful, but hunter/champion/rk have much better self-healing. All these classes (and I am sure not only these) soloed the strongest warband (Bugud) already.

I feel sorry for burgs though
    oh snap =/

I thought we were the best class in mounted combat =(

Enjoy it while it lasts cappies, I doubt it will be for long!

oh snap =/

I thought we were the best class in mounted combat =(
    Opinions may vary
    I prefer to think that all classes except guards and burgs are very good at MC with some minor variations. As an example: captains crit higher than RKs (at least in Beta) and it is noticeable on normal landscape mobs which you can oneshot. But when it comes to the big bosses (warbands) the RK HoTs just melt the the enemy down and a simple switch to the Rohirrim discipline opens 4 strong healing skills. To be honest, I feel safer on RK when soloing bad guys.
    Ishtarien - Captain 100

Wink

Now I know what it is like to play a tactical class in the Moors!

finally the op we deserve!!!! Forth eorlingas!!
    so true!!!

Talking

haha I love it
    I am leveling the capt before my hunter

Maybe not captain specific, but is there any need for anyone to go something other than Light steed + full red stance/traits?

I just did the "raid" warband and it was 5 dps people running around in circles bringing it down.
    Last edited by Beastnas; Oct 21 2012 at 07:20 AM.
    Beastwise ~ R15 Captain | Beastnas ~ R11 Hunter | Beastfang ~ R11 Warg | Doctorbeast ~ R10 Defiler

Quote Originally Posted by Beastnas View Post
    Maybe not captain specific, but is there any need for anyone to go something other than Light steed + full red stance/traits?
    Steed/traits depend on the class.
    For example RK is better (imho ofcourse) with medium steed + red stance/traits, or heavy steed + yellow stance/traits
    The reason: red stance turns all RK skills into dots, and those are better improved by the red line of the medium steed. While the yellow stance makes all attacks of a lightning nature, and then the heavy steed is the only which gives +25% crit to those..

But yeah, all classes just go DPS With some healing/power return when really needed.
    Ishtarien - Captain 100

Here's the scoop from a friend of mine that plays Captain, and Mounted Combat is completely ruined for him (aside from the lulz). He has no challenge whatsover, even against the Nemesis raid warband and a fellowship warband AT THE SAME TIME. He just kites, aoe-crits like a beast, and auto heals and regens himself the entire time.

He's got a fairly optimized build and is still in his lvl75 (10-levels back, note) raid gear, but there's no excuse for the game being this broken for anyone, even a nominal min-maxer. I'm astounded it got out of (extended) beta like this.

...is pretty much untouchable. This may be one of the major reasons mounted combat is so boring for me but with the right build a mounted captain is an unstoppable force of shouty goodness.
    Annecdote:
    Yesterday at level 83 I rode east out of Snowbourn hunting a couple level 85 warbands. The first I reached was a full-fellowship warband, but I had already soloed them earlier so I kept going. When I reached the second, I found it led by a 700k morale level 86 archnemesis and he had a few elites with him as bodyguards. My quest log said this was a raid-level warband. Nice, time for a challenge!

(Note: for some bigger warbands, the boss had a shield you can't penetrate until you kill the minions. Not a big deal, just means you can't ninja the boss and bail.)

So I started my usual approach - circle-kiting and shouting. After a few moments I realized there were twice the adds as I expected. Oh! That's the fellowship warband. Must have drug them here, derp! Oh well. I dropped to AOE mode and started whittling them down, concentrating on ranged attackers first. Once they were out of the game I was pretty much untouchable.

Soon the fellow-leader was dead and the archnemesis was at about 50% health. A few other people joined in at that point, including Tarabren who was sadly too underleveled to get a reward (sorry, Herald). I kept agro though and still never had to blow my self heal. A few minutes later, Archie Nem was dead and all I got was a stupid banner. :/

Captains are just this solid on horseback. It's ridiculous. This is how you do it.

The first rule of Mounted Captaining is to realize you're not a melee class.

The second rule of Mounted Captaining is to realize YOU'RE NOT A MELEE CLASS!

Captains start with four attack skills. Two are at melee. Two are at range, and the ranged ones do 2x to 3x your melee damage. At 40m or so. Quick note: most enemies either hit really weak, or only have melee attacks. There is NO REASON to try and engage in melee constantly. Sure hit as you pass if they get to close but don't just make melee passes. That's the only way war-band bosses are going to get you.

Third rule, captains right light horses and have two disciplines. I have never used the Rohirrim discipline yet. The other two are just way better when leveling.

Cry Wrath is your nuke on a 16s cooldown. At level 75 with a level 1 steed, it would crit for 8k damage if I had fury built up. It also applies a Dot in Red Dawn stance. That's solid against bosses, but if you're in Riddermark it becomes a 5-target AOE with a 40m diameter. Yes, that means it hits up to 5 enemies that are within a hunter's bowshot of each other. I will ride through enemy camps, agro them all, then circle/nuke them with this before going into the camp for the clickies. It is insanely useful.

Cry Havoc is your utility attack. It has a base 10s cooldown and on a crit (which you're a captain and you should have a lot of) restores ~200 morale and power to both you and your horse in Red Dawn, 250 or so in Riddermark.

Rally the Riders is a melee shout but worth mentioning because it's basically rallying cry without the defeat response requirement. It only effects mounts though, but that's all that's needed in warband combat. We all know how good Rallying Cry is so that's all that needs to be said here.

The Light steed is the steed of choice for both healing and DPS IMO. Here's the path I chose to unlock my abilities:

First off, I've seen a lot of people recommend upping agility and yellow traits first to help with maneuverability. I think this is a bad idea. There's plenty of space, and you really don't care if you accidentally agro additional mobs. You're far better served leveling traits that are actually useful for combat first, then working on maneuverability to that end I suggest:

* Leveling strait up the middle of the Blue line until you get Quckness, and maxing it. This knocks 6s off the cooldown of your ranged Cries, and Rally the Riders. This means that your big nuke is now a 10s cooldown instead of 16. It means your utility attack is a 4s cooldown instead of 10. This is an insane boost to DPS. Getting here granted you some mitigations and in/out healing through other virtues, which is a nice bonus but not the reason you're here. After this, time to change over and...

* Level strait up the middle of the Red line until you get Wrath. This adds 25% crit chance to Cry Havoc, Cry Wrath, and Rally the Riders (crit heals!).

* Fill in red traits by finishing off Forceful Blows (for 1200 more crit rating) and grabbing 3 in Combat Advantage (1500 physical mastery which you care nothing about and 2100 tactical mastery!).

Currently this combination nets me a 23.5k Tactical Mastery with ~45% crit chance if I'm in Red Dawn. That crit chance means not only am I doing more damage, I'm constantly healing with Cry Havoc just as a bonus.

At this point you can start branching out to pick up whatever you want. My next move was to get 2 ranks in Bonds of Power and pick up Invigorate in the blue tree to help with power consumption (though nowadays my power doesn't even move... crits restoring power is nice). You could also pick up the morale heal in the blue line if you want it as an emergency button. Eventually I did go into yellow for maneuverability and I did see the difference in how the mount handled but I definitely wouldn't have done that as my first advances.

Combat is simple -- if you're fighting one target or a boss or just need to kill it quickly, go in Red Dawn for the crit bonus. If there's a mob of creatures, use Riddermark. Stay at full speed, just circle them at a wide distance. Your attacks have a 40m range do you're fine - this is one of the big reasons you don't need yellow traits early at all. Use Havoc and Wrath as soon as they're off cooldown. If your AOE Wrath picks up additional enemies, shrug and enjoy the bonus XP. Repeat until mobs are dead.

Will I have to change my tactics when we start reaching group mounted combat? I dunno. I've soloed the raid warband like this so I doubt it, but if things get difficult I'll start playing around. Until then though I don't see a reason to change up mounts. The light horse is a glass cannon, but we have so many self heals that it becomes some pretty resilient glass.
    Update. Just soloed Bugud down to about 50% again, and [Hunter PC] joined me. Asked him to try out something... he set himself to /follow me, and kept shooting the boss while I shouted. I led us wide enough to stay out of melee, and he got all my heals and power restores. So if you're in a fellow with a captain, this tactics seems excellent for sharing buffs and restorations.
    Last edited by Moondog548; Oct 21 2012 at 02:56 PM.
    [COLOR=yellow][B]Landroval[/B][/COLOR] - [B][URL="http://www.councilofthesecretfire.com"]The Council of the Secret Fire[/URL][/B] Friendly, Casual, Mature, and always seeking more!
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0520a000000001c94/01005/signature.png]Moondog[/charsig]
    [B][COLOR=SeaGreen]Musings on LOTRO and other games:[/COLOR][/B] [url]www.killtenrats.com[/url]

Shhh!! yall gonna get us nerfed :P

I do wish our heralds had a mount... or our banners showed up on the horse in question... lol probably unrealistic but /shrugs can dream right?

Captain was never OP, even now, compared with other Class damages, the Captain is....LOL.
    The Champion near me hit 10k, the Ministrel 6k and my higher hit was 2.8k.
    That is what you call OP?

He can fight with 4-5 Mobs without issues, that's true, but I would not call him OP, only because now on Mount he can hit (finaly) 6-7k.

Minas Morgul, previously Angmar, Read the books casual.
    I just love torturing my friend with this.

I love being overpowered for once. And I finally understood why all the wardens are so happy about pulling lots of mobs and taking them down easily. I went with Riddermark discipline yesterday and kept aggroing everything I could and killed them with ease. The range for the AoE is a bit ridiculous though, more than once I aggroed mobs who were quire far away.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast