We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4

Thread: Horse Dye Cost

Quote Originally Posted by Niwashi View Post
    Is this really any different than all the complaints prior to this expansion that 1,995 TP is too much for a horse? There have been lots of complaint threads about that too, yet Turbine apparently gets quite a few sales of those Store exclusive horses. 595 TP for a dye set would make a horse's coloring cost 30% the price of a horse's appearance, which doesn't really seem that far off.
    Since I get points for "free" as a Lifetimer, I went ahead and spent some points on my steed, though at this price it means I won't be buying much else. It cost me 2160, or more then a store mount, for 2 horse colors, one color set for the horses armorings, and a tail. Basically, to build a fully custom warsteed, when more slots can be purchased, will likely be in the neighborhood of $80-$100 worth of points. 1995 TP for a mount is pretty industry standard for MMO Mounts/Vehicles.

They should let us pick our four colors (I paid for 12, but got 3 I'll use) and these should be account wide unlocks. Since to build a horse has moved into the realm macro transactions, being able to spread the cost across the account would be the best compromise.

I picked up four packs of 'em, I just couldn't resist adding that black chestnut to my stable. I'd have been content with the honor of riding a mearh, but given the options available it seemed rather obligatory for a captain of Rohirrim to stand out on the battlefield. The rest of my rag-tag band of alts can just bask in my glory. Much of the TP was a bonus from the pre-order anyway. The remainder is what accumulated from my subscription fees and grinding deeds, so I'm carefully considering my final selection. I'll probably pick up a couple more along the way, and there's a caparison I've had my eye on... I'm already trying to see if I can squeeze enough out of the budget for that.

The horses themselves were typically reserved for the nobility of Rohan. I think allowing everyone to ride and price-limiting the customization seems a good balance. You can still be the hero but you don't have the finest of the king's herd just handed to ya. It imparts the flavor of the lore without reducing the functionality of the steeds. And since it's not account-wide it allows more *people* to show their flair, rather than more characters that would wash out the value and make us all look like we're cast from the same orc-molds.

I've wanted every horse that came along, but I saved for this one, and I don't regret a dime I've spent. Wouldn't bother me a bit if they dropped the cost, I'm sacrificing some LI upgrades for this, but I tell ya, when I first rode over the crest of a hill and saw Eorl's Hallow bathed in the sun, with that magnificent soaring score... to feel Rohan come alive, to become a part of it... that moment was priceless. Your mileage may vary, but that's one of the many reasons why I don't hesitate to support Turbine. It's an incredible team, and overall they've really done an amazing job with Tolkien's world so far. And it's here for everyone, even if they never pay a cent, so I don't mind picking up some of the F2P slack. I'd really hate to see them go the way of the dark Lord Zor...
    [I][FONT=Verdana]"[B]The wind of heaven is that which blows between a horse's ears.[/B]"[/FONT][/I] [SIZE=1]~ Bedouin Proverb[/SIZE]

Lotro store prices

First off, I love mounted combat. Turbine job well done!

Now for the gripe. Pricing in the store hasn't made sense to me in a while, especially for cosmetic items. I can't really imagine the price-elasticity has been properly tested because I bet a drop in cosmetic customisation option pricing will increase total turnover. It's a simple test, drop the prices of everything by 5% or so, see what happens. Do it again for another 5% a little later on, and measure again. I will take bets on the total turnover results. I also don't understand why all the standard items in the game are not available for nice small prices too, I certainly wouldn't ride around the whole map or scour google to find out where I can get something if I can get it for a few tp's in the lotro store. I simply have better things to do.

I've spent the money on some cosmetic items for my warsteed, but you're allright, the pricing is silly. Turbine is hurting themselves with these price levels. People have a certain amount of money to spend on the game, which will increase as they feel they're enjoying it more. So, lower prices. People can only wear one outfit at once, what's wrong with letting them buy hundreds of outfits? All the items are in the game, why the hell aren't they in the store, piles and piles of them? Why can you only hav 120 cosmetic items slots. It's all bad business as far as I can tell.

So, /signed. Lotro store prices down, starting with these crazy horse dye prices.

./agree

It was cheaper for me to buy 600 TP and have enough combined to get ONE character the black pinto pattern I loved than it was to be VIP this month. I had to choose between the two. I didn't have enough saved up otherwise (I had to buy the GR area with my pre-order TPs). So my LM got to be pretty but my Warden still has the gray. If I get enough TP from deeds I will have enough to do hers. Kinda sad, really. I don't know what they were thinking when they set the color pack prices. The cosmetic horse armor sets are reasonably priced, but they went way overboard on hide and gear color packs.
    [center][b][color=#33CCFF]Pointy stick flinger of d00m. (tm)[/color]
    [color=#999999])))[/color][color=#cc9966]===========[/color][color=#ccffff]}>[/color][/b][/center]

[center][color=#ff33cc]Avabella 65 Hobbit Guardian | Avawyn 65 Human Warden | Elenath 65 Elf Hunter | Elnauriel 65 Elf Lore Master | Rosalily 65 Hobbit Warden | Ariabela Hobbit Minstrel | Eluiniel Elf Runekeeper[/color][/center]

Quote Originally Posted by Niwashi View Post
    1795 TP is still less than 1995 TP. So you'd be getting the ability to customize one character's steed the way you want it for less money than you acknowledge having already spent previously to get one character a horse that doesn't even allow that sort of mix-and-match customization. Sorry, but it still sounds like you (and a lot of other people) are getting more functionality for less TP than before and yet complaining anyway.
    When I purchased the Steed of the Hunter, there was no indication that I had seen at the time it would have anything to do with the warsteeds system. I resisted that price for a long time too but I had the VIP points and what I was getting was not only a neat looking mount but one that was faster and had more morale than anything else I had obtained at the time.

Sure, I could spend another 1795 and have "more functionality" for less TP than the steed of the hunter but that is not the case. If I wanted all four colors in the pack, honestly, I'd probably have so much less issue with this that I would have never commented on it. It's far easier to bite the bullet, spend the TP and go on and enjoy my mount.

But what I would be doing with the current price and package set up is essentially be spending 1190 Turbine points on TWO colors. That just wont happen any time soon. Then add in the third equipment color pack needed to make the steed of the hunter cosmetics actually match my steed of the hunter? Yeah right.
    Last edited by Sigram; Oct 22 2012 at 05:57 PM.
    Helm's Deep Devamp killed my long time toons. Currently bouncing around between post-HD newbie alts (a warden and champ) and other games.
    Baruk Khazâd! Khazâd ai-mênu!
    http://cruciblegaming.com

Did anyone truly believe that after having to give out:
    • 2,000 (or 1,000) TP
    • 500 TP
    • Three Goody Bags (valued in the Store at 1,590 TP)
    • and having to have the developers spend six more weeks on developing Rohan
    That there wouldn't be repercussions such as:
    • Increased prices for existing Store Items
    • 'Outlandish' prices for new Store Items (hidden away in most of the Beta as 1 TP cost)
    • Very apparent drop in special lotteries (compare Anniversary, Spring, Bastille vs. Summer, Harvest, and Unity)
    • Drop in quantities of items and content in the routine lotteries
    • Limiting how the Buy One Get One works
    • Not applying the advertised Weekly Sale discounts for Skirmish Bundles when advertised as such
    • No Determine Your Discount at the end of the quarter (to be fair they had one near the beginning of the quarter)
    • Mannequins sporting new outfits twice the price of the last display
    • etc., etc., etc.

Some bean counter determined what they needed to make and given the set backs and give outs, they adjust to get it back from other Revenue streams or to cut expenses elsewhere.

There ain't no free lunch.
    < Enter lousy signature here>

Quote Originally Posted by Raymore View Post
    Some bean counter determined what they needed to make and given the set backs and give outs, they adjust to get it back from other Revenue streams or to cut expenses elsewhere.
    However, making items more expensive and giving out less for free does not necessarily translate into more turnover. Actually it works quite reverse, and since all they sell is pixels and not actual physical stock, I don't understand their policy. As average prices of items go up, I find myself spending less and less TP overall. It feels like Turbine is slowly creating their own TP crisis.
    COSMETIC LOTRO

a blog about Middle-earth outfits

I will also add my vote that the coat colors and dye packs need to be unlocked account-wide for that price. While I would probably use same dye for multiple pieces of war-steed cosmetics on a single character, being able to change my horse's coat color more than once is NOT a selling point. I know what colors my horses are going to be on all my characters, and that isn't going to change.

I simply cannot spend $20+ worth of TP PER CHARACTER (assuming I buy one dye pack for cosmetics, one for the coat color, and one for the mane and tail.) I have other things to spend my TP on that actually help me out...Bag 6 (when it becomes available) and Relic Removal Scrolls, in particular.
    [COLOR="#FF0000"]Sonsy 85 Hunter[/COLOR];[COLOR="#008000"] Lodellee 85 Minstrel[/COLOR]; [COLOR="#B22222"]Bellamee 85 Guardian[/COLOR]; [COLOR="#006400"]Tennac 84 Champion[/COLOR]; [COLOR="#DAA520"]Sunnwyn 78 Captain[/COLOR]; [COLOR="#cccccc"]Missgrey 76 Lore-master[/COLOR]; [COLOR="#0000FF"]Pwnie 55 Burglar[/COLOR]; [COLOR="#996633"]Meowzen 48 Warden[/COLOR];[COLOR="#EE82EE"] Elsbetha 12 Rune-keeper[/COLOR]
    [B]Leader[/B] - Protectors of the Free [I]and [/I]Free of the Protectors - Firefoot

Quote Originally Posted by Crell_1 View Post
    If you're going to insist on charging TP for them, they need to be account wide.
    I totally agree-- I was stunned that the cost was this high and only applied to the one character. I would be willing to pay something like 995 or even 1295 tp for a "war steed customization color pack" that gave you all of the colors for the hides and gear account wide. But as it is now, no way am I going to spend TP on this.
    [URL="http://www.council-of-eraidor.com"][/URL]

Ill just stick to my spotted steed I got from Warband rewards until Turbine stops with this &&&&.

It's sad that there are people willing to pay for this and because of that, the prices will most likely stay. I looked in the post showing off peoples' warsteeds and they look amazing. Mine will never look like that, though. Not with prices like this. If I am going to spend TP in this game, it is going to be spent on making my characters better, ie. stat tomes, vault upgrades.
    Last edited by deeman25845601; Oct 24 2012 at 11:44 AM.

/signed

Turbine needs to wake up. Until then, I'm not going to even be playing as much as I'd like. Too much of a disappointment, shame on you Turbine, shame on you...
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0e215000000004329/signature.png]Dagthire[/charsig]

Quote Originally Posted by Raymore
    repercussions
    Raymore, your talk of "repercussions" is ridiculous.

The goody bags and such were calculated to forestall player aggravation at the expansion delay. Why should players then be punished for Turbine's decision to do so? All the "repercussions" you mention are evidence of Turbine beancounters wishing to claw back the money spent on development as fast as possible, with little or no regard to the backlash from actual players. I somehow doubt they play, so they probably don't understand this human component of the business they work for. Its price-gouging, plain and simple, and has thus far been considerably less lucrative than they obviously hoped for, judging by the vast number of uncoloured steeds. Yes, I bought one dye pack for skins and one for gear on my main - but I have 8 alts who will never see such treats at the current cost and with the current per-character condition attached.
    Last edited by Bizzielizzie; Nov 13 2012 at 12:59 PM.
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/23221000000169861/01008/signature.png]undefined[/charsig]

Quote Originally Posted by Bizzielizzie View Post
    Raymore, your talk of "repercussions" is ridiculous.

The goody bags and such were calculated to forestall player aggravation at the expansion delay. Why should players then be punished for Turbine's decision to do so? All the "repercussions" you mention are evidence of Turbine beancounters wishing to claw back the money spent on development as fast as possible, with little or no regard to the backlash from actual players. I somehow doubt they play, so they probably don't understand this human component of the business they work for. Its price-gouging, plain and simple, and has thus far been considerably less lucrative than they obviously hoped for, judging by the vast number of uncoloured steeds. Yes, I bought one dye pack for skins and one for gear on my main - but I have 8 alts who will never see such treats at the current cost and with the current per-character condition attached.
    I am not quite sure you understood my point. In no way was I defending WB/Turbine but simply stated that given these additional 'expenses' they were going to try to get us for more cash/etc. to make up for what they 'lost'. Of course bean counters don't, for the most part, play and most really don't understand that you can push too far. There was considerable controversy on these forums and elsewhere at a keynote speech where Mr. Fernando Paiz, CEO of DDO, said basically that they can raise the prices, even beyond what folks "find their comfort zones" and players will still not leave the game.

As far as forestalling aggravation with the goody bags, yes goodwill PR will mollify the crowd (or part of it), but in the end that is a cost to the bottom line and will either be written off as part of expenses (for tax purposes, etc.), other expenses will be cut, or prices elsewhere will be adjusted to make up that loss to the bottom line. Players are not being 'punished' they (the larger base, not just the ones who pre-ordered) will just be made to make up the difference in other ways.

As to my use of the word 'repercussion', it probably is not the word I should have used as it means "An unintended consequence occurring some time after an event or action, esp. an unwelcome one". It certainly wasn't unintended but as a direct result and was predictable and intended to make up for the 'losses'. 'Consequence' would have been a better term to use.

One thing I do know, I would never have used the word 'ridiculous' in a response to another person's post.
    < Enter lousy signature here>

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4