We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Horse Dye Cost

1. Horse Dye Cost

I was looking at the store for dyes for my new War steed and was gobsmacked by the price.
    595 tp for 1 dye set is way too much for what you are getting.
    If it was all dyes for 595tp that'd be good or offer them for maybe 100tp for each individual colour is another reasonable offer.
    As it stands I won't spend a TP on dyes until their prices are more reasonable.

Link to the store topic.
    http://forums.lotro.com/showthread.p...or-Pack-prices!

Also a quote from the Quartermaster.
    Quote Originally Posted by QuarterMasterL View Post
    The pricing for the war-steed dyes is based on the fact that they are not consumable items. You are purchasing the ability to permanently unlock the color options for your steeds on a particular character. So you will be able to switch your colors as often as you like on that character.
    Last edited by radspakr; Oct 17 2012 at 02:06 PM.
    The Lone Wolf
    Radspakr 85 Guardian,Haluilas 82 LM, Varri 65 Champ

Quote Originally Posted by radspakr View Post
    I was looking at the store for dyes for my new War steed and was gobsmacked by the price.
    595tp for 4 dyes is way too much for what you are getting.
    If it was all dyes for 595tp that'd be good or offer them for maybe 100tp for each individual colour is another reasonable offer.
    If you're going to insist on charging TP for them, they need to be account wide.
    Last edited by Crell_1; Oct 15 2012 at 11:49 PM.
    Crell-L85-Champion - Riddermark ; Swego-L85-Burglar ; Kotvi-L95-Runekeeper
    Delego-L85 Hunter ; Stodden-L51-Captain ; Edhul-L61-Loremaster
    Deglorion - SoA XP Disabler

Quote Originally Posted by Crell_1 View Post
    If you're going to insist on charging TP for them, they need to be account wide.
    /agreed

Most 'player friendly' option would be to offer another way to get the dyes; perhaps by making them Scholar's Guild recipes, with long cooldowns? Sort of making the dyes consideredable as the 'Legendary' craftable for Scholars?

Quote Originally Posted by radspakr View Post
    595 tp for 1 dye set is way too much for what you are getting.
    Logged on after not playing for a couple of months, got my horse, saw you could dye it, click on a color and went directly to the lotro store. Logged off soon after and returned to playing GW2. Sooooo tired of these guy developing the game for micro sales. Pre-order RoR and a vip but still have to pay to dye my horse pfffft come on, pretty f in petty.
    Last edited by drew9906; Oct 16 2012 at 07:28 AM.

A strange as it may sound, it soured the entire experience of rohan to see these greedy and outrageous prices. if they offered one price to unlock all colour options for the whole horse that'd be fine. i probably wouldn't pay over 1k tps for that. instead, 4 colours for 600 tp? I only have a string of expletives to say about that.

I'm glad I didn't pay money for the xpac. If I did, I would feel a lot worse about this. whoever thought up these prices needs to be slapped!
    [CENTER][SIZE=1][B][I][COLOR=YellowGreen][U][charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/042080000000028da/01004/signature.png]undefined[/charsig][/U][/COLOR][/I][/B][/SIZE]
    [I][COLOR=YellowGreen]Elendilmir[/COLOR] - Palanwyn ~ Figgy ~ Eochael ~ Lamath ~ Bobble ~ Poppet ~ Rachie
    [COLOR=YellowGreen]Eldar[/COLOR] - Figgi ~ Figglez
    [COLOR=YellowGreen]Co-creator of [URL="http://forums.lotro.com/www.thefatlute.com"]The Fat Lute[/URL][/COLOR][/I]
    [/CENTER]

Toyed with the thought of buying some dye, but in the end decided against it. There is really no other way to get dyes? That's... annoying, to say the least. I get that turbine wants income, but 600 tp for one dye pack with 4 colours, and it doesn't even work on both the coat and tail/mane? No thanks, I'll keep my horse gray.
    Formerly Nimrodel / Currently Landroval
    Moerilind | 105 RK / Ioreleth | 105 Guardian

Quote Originally Posted by Bob View Post
    A strange as it may sound, it soured the entire experience of rohan to see these greedy and outrageous prices. if they offered one price to unlock all colour options for the whole horse that'd be fine. i probably wouldn't pay over 1k tps for that. instead, 4 colours for 600 tp? I only have a string of expletives to say about that.

I'm glad I didn't pay money for the xpac. If I did, I would feel a lot worse about this. whoever thought up these prices needs to be slapped!
    Soured it for me to. I get my horse, super happy, first thing I click on leads me to store......oh I see......well I only want 1 colour (black) prob 100tp w/e I'll deal..........595tp for 4 dyes, 3 of which I don't want/will never use. Perfect.

Major point of expac ruined.
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0b20c0000001b39ec/01003/signature.png]undefined[/charsig]

Ít IS steep, but ... it will stay as it is.

There will be sales of course, but it will stay. People want this stuff, so Turbine charges.
    We can complain as much as we want but many will still buy it.

Quote Originally Posted by Fidchell View Post
    Soured it for me to. I get my horse, super happy, first thing I click on leads me to store......oh I see......well I only want 1 colour (black) prob 100tp w/e I'll deal
    You'll need to buy a new skin as well as soon as they come out. The current skin can't be dyed black very good. It's still very bright and looks &&&& which I think is intentional. They give us something for start, but it looks so bad that we are alomst forced to buy something else.

Angry

Extremely disappointed that the horse colors and dyes are so expensive and apparently per character. $60 worth of TP to unlock all the colors PER character?! I already paid for the expansion--why this greediness?

This has ruined the feature I was looking forward to the most. I was under the impression I'd be able to customize my steed if I bought the expansion. I feel misled.
    [url=http://ponyloversanonymous.wordpress.com/]Pony Lovers Anonymous[/url]
    Matching outfits to the steeds of Middle-Earth
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0520300000018379f/01004/signature.png]undefined[/charsig]

Quote Originally Posted by Elyara View Post
    ...This has ruined the feature I was looking forward to the most. I was under the impression I'd be able to customize my steed if I bought the expansion. I feel misled.
    Welcome to the club.
    I also tried the steed of night cosmetics with the new horse, it's a bad joke basically. The skin of the horse is all too bad for that.

Quote Originally Posted by Neumi View Post
    Welcome to the club.
    I also tried the steed of night cosmetics with the new horse, it's a bad joke basically. The skin of the horse is all too bad for that.
    Players who bought a steed of night bought a BLACK mount, and you can't call a non-black WAR-STEED of night an equivalent cosmetic can you?

The prices are nuts. They're a slap in the face to anyone who spent $ for the expansion. Make your money selling the skins, NOT the colors.

it definitely would have been nice if they had put the TP prices on Beta so we could give feedback then, however they kept it at the "1 TP" stand in price all the way through - and warsteed skin colors didn't even work until the very last round!

With that MMO Reporter interview, I thought they were going to have a ton more cosmetics available at launch than they had in beta, but they actually have *less* than they had in beta!

And yes, the price is totally ridiculous. I'm a lifetime member so I had points saved up and was able to get one warsteed skin color pack and a warsteed cosmetics dye pack. I probably won't spend extra money for awhile. I would have gladly plopped down $20 or so to get a couple sets of cosmetics and all the colors, but it would cost way way more than that and the selection of cosmetics is not even big enough to justify it anyway. I got my horse the way I had in beta, and I like it and that's about as far as that will go until the prices drop OR they actually introduce enough in-game acquirable cosmetics to justify buying dyes.

The price of the warsteed dyes took every ounce of joy I had over the warsteed cosmetic system and beat it to dust. So to get all the colors its about $60 - the entire expansion in legendary edition, essentially, all over again. That's insulting. I had planned on buying the exclusion steed who's gear matched my tastes the most and getting the dye packs necessary to match my color theme... I now plan largely ignoring this sytem that I had been so excited about, because the prices are outrageous, especial for a per character unlock.

Take it down to 100TP per character, or make it craftable through guild, or take it down to 350ish per pack and make it account wide. Almost 600 for one character for one set is absurd. This is Rohan - and Rohan isn't Rohan without horses. The people of Rohan are passionate about their horses, its deep in their culture to raise and cherish them as loyal companions. Not to exploit them for monetary gain. PLEASE don't kill a system that draws us so well into the emersion and feeling of Rohan by being greedy.
    [CENTER][IMG]https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/61519228/lotroforumsig.jpg[/IMG]
    [SIZE=2][COLOR="#9999ff"]Freeps: Lavendel - Rinoril - Lavendeleth - Lavendelita - Therrin
    Creeps: Makimut - Makinid[/COLOR][/CENTER][/SIZE]

Well, there are reports of people getting skins and accessories out of the boxes from the warbands, maybe we'll start seeing colours as a ultra-rare?

Overall though, yes, these prices are absolutely ridiculous... Account wide, maybe I'd slowly unlock them all, per character, nah, far too much I won't even think about it, see what I can make up from the warbands.

I had been wondering how much these were going to cost when I was in Beta and I was pretty floored to see the cost of the colour packages. With the other individual cosmetic options I saw in Beta going for 295 each (btw.. where are all those items?), I was expecting something around that price.

The thing is, we've had a few years of being able to choose a mount that suits our style. Lotro has made a big deal about the variety of horses you can get whether it be from festivals, deeds, special events or the store. We've always had lots of choice. But now, all those horses, all those skins we've worked for are obsolete and in their place we're given a really bland looking horse.

If we would have at least been given a one time choice on hide colour, that would have appeased me. But to not have any choices regarding it and give us something really boring looking... man, really sucks the fun out of it.

Itemising everything is so old. But to tack on outrageous prices.. meh. I have a feeling you guys would make more money in the long run if you'd lower the costs as more people would likely buy. Instead Turbine alienates even more folks. Smart move!
    [url]http://wanderingthroughdigitalworlds.wordpress.com/[/url]

Quote Originally Posted by Lothirieth View Post
    I have a feeling you guys would make more money in the long run if you'd lower the costs as more people would likely buy. Instead Turbine alienates even more folks. Smart move!
    I agree with this, and it really does boggle the mind. They need to make individual colours available to purchase, which would be adequate, so long as the price isn't completely ridiculous. If they sold them individually, they would probably charge 150tp each, which is so much better than 4 similar colours for 600tp. Then if they did a 30% sale on them, it'd bring the price down to just over 100tp. That I would be happy with.

I would be even happier with a price reduction to 400 for 4 colours, then 100tp for an individual colour, plus a chance to get them in game, maybe from war bands or the loot boxes.

Please pay attention to your customers, Turbine!
    [CENTER][SIZE=1][B][I][COLOR=YellowGreen][U][charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/042080000000028da/01004/signature.png]undefined[/charsig][/U][/COLOR][/I][/B][/SIZE]
    [I][COLOR=YellowGreen]Elendilmir[/COLOR] - Palanwyn ~ Figgy ~ Eochael ~ Lamath ~ Bobble ~ Poppet ~ Rachie
    [COLOR=YellowGreen]Eldar[/COLOR] - Figgi ~ Figglez
    [COLOR=YellowGreen]Co-creator of [URL="http://forums.lotro.com/www.thefatlute.com"]The Fat Lute[/URL][/COLOR][/I]
    [/CENTER]

That's not rain running down your back, my precious
    Holder of a Golden Ticket (lifetime acct)

Quote Originally Posted by Bob View Post
    They need to make individual colours available to purchase, which would be adequate, so long as the price isn't completely ridiculous. If they sold them individually, they would probably charge 150tp each, which is so much better than 4 similar colours for 600tp. Then if they did a 30% sale on them, it'd bring the price down to just over 100tp. That I would be happy with.
    I personally would be very happy if they sold individual colours. I'd begrudgingly pay 100 for one. All I want is white. :P Well that's not completely true.. what I really want is a warsteed version of my normal Galadhrim War Steed horse!

Another suggestion is make these account wide, but let people choose a certain number of colours.
    [url]http://wanderingthroughdigitalworlds.wordpress.com/[/url]

From the Steed of Night page
    Unlock this Premium Mount Bundle to get the travel mount and the matching War-steed Appearance!

This magnificent steed has a dark charcoal coat with glistening chocolate undertones, amber eyes and is bedecked with a glimmering saddle pad, a fiery neck guard and reinforced leather saddle, bridle and leg boots. This steed has 250 health and allows you to travel 68% faster than running on foot, making it faster and stronger than many other mounts! Once purchased this skill can be found in the Mounts area of the Skill panel (hit 'k' then click the Mounts tab at the top right-hand corner)
    You don't get 'Dark charcoal' as a hide color without a separate purchase.

These iconic mounts that we bought to use as war-steed appearances we don't actually get to ride in the colors we acquired them in without separate purchases!.

Agreed. I played around with dye packs in beta, and wondered what their price would be in live. I was not overly impressed with how well they actually color the coat, but I figured it was better than nothing. However, at that price I will not be purchasing them. I understand that one dye pack provides 4 colors that can be used for the hide and tail and mane, but it's pretty steep. Especially since I think you'll need to purchase dye packs for the horse tack, too, if you want to change the color of the saddle, bridle, etc.

Overall, I'm ok with charging $ for cosmetics. But this is just out of line.

Quote Originally Posted by Neumi View Post
    Ít IS steep, but ... it will stay as it is.

There will be sales of course, but it will stay. People want this stuff, so Turbine charges.
    We can complain as much as we want but many will still buy it.
    IS anyone buying it? I haven't seen anything but starter grey steeds so far. Not buying it is the one sure way to get the price to change.
    So long, and thanks for all the boars.

Quote Originally Posted by Elyara View Post
    Extremely disappointed that the horse colors and dyes are so expensive and apparently per character. $60 worth of TP to unlock all the colors PER character?! I already paid for the expansion--why this greediness?

This has ruined the feature I was looking forward to the most. I was under the impression I'd be able to customize my steed if I bought the expansion. I feel misled.
    Agree completely.

Agree with pretty much everything in this thread so far.

Hide and tail colors were the thing I was most excited about concerning mounted combat, but I just... Don't think I could fork over 595 TP for only four colors, on ONE character. I would be happy paying 100 TP per individual color, since I only have one color combination in mind that I would like my war horse to be; flaxen chestnut with a white mane/tail. The other three colors wouldn't get any use, so why should I need to buy them also?

Hrm... Maybe they could add an individual color option alongside the color packs?
    [center][size=1][img]http://i60.tinypic.com/2zrp7hi.jpg[/img]
    [u]ELENDILMIR[/u]: NIBENETH - LVL 85 ELF HUNTER // SILPHIUM - LVL 55 HOBBIT WARDEN[/size][/center]

Is this really any different than all the complaints prior to this expansion that 1,995 TP is too much for a horse? There have been lots of complaint threads about that too, yet Turbine apparently gets quite a few sales of those Store exclusive horses. 595 TP for a dye set would make a horse's coloring cost 30% the price of a horse's appearance, which doesn't really seem that far off.

Quote Originally Posted by Niwashi View Post
    Is this really any different than all the complaints prior to this expansion that 1,995 TP is too much for a horse? There have been lots of complaint threads about that too, yet Turbine apparently gets quite a few sales of those Store exclusive horses. 595 TP for a dye set would make a horse's coloring cost 30% the price of a horse's appearance, which doesn't really seem that far off.
    1,995 TP for a class mount is reasonable IMO. 595 TP, for four colors, three of which I won't use, is not. By all means, let them keep the dye packs at 595 TP. All I'm asking for is for them to add individual colors to the store at a cheaper price (say... the same price as individual cosmetic dyes). It would ramp up their income a lot more, and I'll bet my life on it.
    [center][size=1][img]http://i60.tinypic.com/2zrp7hi.jpg[/img]
    [u]ELENDILMIR[/u]: NIBENETH - LVL 85 ELF HUNTER // SILPHIUM - LVL 55 HOBBIT WARDEN[/size][/center]

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast