We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Update Error: Cannot Save Data Files

Today I tried to update LOTRO with the Rohan Expansion. All seemed to be running fine after updating the launcher, until it reached Update Game Data. The launcher froze and it says "An Update Error Occured: Cannot Save Data Files". I've tried restarting the launcher a couple time. I've restarted my computer as well, including with a clean reboot, but the error keeps occurring. Is this an issue with the expansion, or is there a known way to fix this so I can continue updating the game? All advice is appreciated!

re:

I'm having the same problem, help???!!

Problem

I have the same problem. I took the same steps as you and restarted my computer and the program a couple of times but nothing seems to help it. I guess we just have to wait until turbine finds a solution. Just like the many expansions of the past there are always unexpected errors and this may be one.

I'm having a similar issue. I get an Update Error which tells me:

An Error occured while updating the game.
    For more details, click "Details". For support online, click "Help". [ERROR 40000]

The details show:

System.Runtime.InteropServices .COMException (0x80010105): The server threw an exception.
    at PatchWrapper.CPatcherClass.Use Time()
    at com.turbine.launcher.Services. Patcher.UseTime()

Kind of bummed about it, I wanted to log on for a bit. I've restarted both the launcher and my computer and it errors out every time I run the launcher.
    [i]You broke into my house, stole my property, murdered my servants, and my PETS! And that is what grieves me the most! You killed my snake."[/i]

- T. Doom

if the client can't save the data files, it's possible that the data files were corrupted.

have you tried opening the installation folder and deleting the most recent .dat file?

Re:

I tried that, but its just not working...

Exactly the same here... tried everything, from change permissions to switching to my old HD with an old installation of lotro... all the same. CANNOT SAVE DATA FILE.

BTW that happened when the update was around 30%...

okay, what you need to do is to delete all the .dat files and restart the game, it will re-download and install new .dat files, then it will work

Angry

Quote Originally Posted by KinswomanElswyth View Post
    okay, what you need to do is to delete all the .dat files and restart the game, it will re-download and install new .dat files, then it will work
    I tried this and it did not work. I have gone through error 40000 and 201 and now this cannot save files all within the last 3 hours. I am getting soo frustrated with all these so called "quick fixes" and btw it did not install new .dat files, so I went into the recycle bin folder and replaced them after it showed another error.

Unhappy

Quote Originally Posted by KinswomanElswyth View Post
    Spent hours on using all the suggested fixes. So after zero sleep and a lot of x rated language, I am of to work hoping that my re-install is done when I get back

Same problem here, let´s hope they fix this quick.

Cannot Save Data Files

Same problem...only twist is that it freezes up at the game wrapper part then says cannot safe data files. A pop up window asks permission for Turbine Registration and game wrapper GDF to make changes to my computer...I click yes and everything freezes.

I've gone into enable permissions and allowed that particular program manually...and turned off my firewalls, but neither worked.

Is there anyway to know whether Turbine is working on this?

Do I do a complete uninstall and reinstall?

For what it is worth, it downloaded fine on my desk top and is just balky on my laptop. I have 300+ GB free space on my drive.

Appreciate all help or thoughts.
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0520a0000002bd6e9/01006/signature.png]undefined[/charsig]

Bellcari (Minstrel) Belwynne (Lore Master) Beldwyl (Hunter) Landroval

i'm getting an error, but i can't read it. It is hidden by white or whatever window I open above it.

@Rapidan

I get the same window pop up asking for permissions, and it still freezes after I click yes.

@mr_underfoot

I'll give your suggestion a go this evening and try deleting the most recent .dat files, followed by another attempt at updating. It's quite possible this will fix it for me, since my internet cut out during the update, and it was after I rebooted it that I had issues. My guess is that I have broken files causing the issue. Hopefully it works.

Thank you everyone for your help. I'll let you know if and how I get mine working.

same problem here. Never had problems with the beta client. YUY
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/2921e000000003b8e/01008/signature.png]undefined[/charsig]

Reporting in With "Cannot Save Data Files" after asking for permission to.

had a patch come through steam before this that seemed to have solved me getting stuck at examine game data. Fingers crossed only one more hurdle to go huh?
    Acidacidacid is from the Southern parts of Mirkwood, Her choice in Vocation is a Bear Shepherd.
    Tielwyn is an OG karaoke star
    Wargs could be the last Crimson Maw

I've logged in to play in CA,TX,GA,DC,IL,MN,ID,OR,NV
    I'm having the same problem. Pretty frustrating. Also, when I try to close the launcher, it's gone completely unresponsive. Clicking the X in the top right corner does nothing. Right clicking on it in the taskbar then clicking "Close" does nothing. The only way to shut it off is to Ctrl+Alt+Del, select it, and crash it. I'll reboot after that to make sure it's completely off, then try to run it again and still nothing happens and I get the same error message, cannot save data files.

I tried everything here: http://de.support.turbine.com/link/p...ave-data-files
    Didn't work.
    Last edited by Banaticus; Oct 16 2012 at 02:46 PM.
    2017: 6 levels and an instance! As a level 1 burglar, Bilbo got a pony when he joined the Smaug The Dragon raid. Then he asked for leadership, looted the chest, assigned himself the 1st age Arkenstone and mailed it to an alt (Bilbo's a VIP so can mail from anywhere). They did some PvMP and an Epic Battle, then he apologized and gave the Arkenstone back because it wasn't BoA. He kept the pony.

I'm sure by now Turbine has head of these issues (I'd be seriously concerned about the integrity of the community if they haven't) but all of the above minus getting error codes I can report too.

I had just over 12,000 left in the update (which was reading at something like 15,020 after pre-loaded updates).

Like most I'm VIP though I don't know if that applies to the issues at all.

Does anyone know of anyone who's able to play the game since the Expansion went live?
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/13213000000066fe7/01006/signature.png]undefined[/charsig]

Guys, if its working on your desktop, copy the .dat files from there onto a usb and put them in to replace the ones that obviously aren't working, I got the files from a friend who's computer had it working and now its working for me

Quote Originally Posted by Banaticus View Post
    I'm having the same problem. Pretty frustrating. Also, when I try to close the launcher, it's gone completely unresponsive. Clicking the X in the top right corner does nothing. Right clicking on it in the taskbar then clicking "Close" does nothing. The only way to shut it off is to Ctrl+Alt+Del, select it, and crash it. I'll reboot after that to make sure it's completely off, then try to run it again and still nothing happens and I get the same error message, cannot save data files.
    Yeah, the launcher freezes after a while (if you shut it down immediately after getting the cannot save data files it closes). But I noticed that killing the launcher doesn't kill the process it is using, which is why you can't re-launch the launcher. You need to kill it in applications, then tab over to processes and find the right one (it says Turbine in the name) and kill that, too.

Of course, since you just get the cannot save data files error over again, it's a moot point, but...

Same problem here.
    Tried a complete reinstall by Steam. same result.

Next try is to resurrect an old PC and try that.

Paid alot of money for Rohan, all I have had for it so far is trouble.

Same problem here.
    What a nice way to spend 65 euros...

Let's hope they fix this soon.
    Withywindle: Hargorin, 85 GRD; Tharwil, 53 CHMP and a whole lot more offspring

I have this issue as well.

It gives the "Cannot save datafile" message at the same time it asks for permission from windows. It then freezes and I have to use task manager to close it. Then I can't open it again unless I restart my computer.

Turbine - some help please? Will this fix be with the hotfix of today?

ok this is my work around that worked, might not be a clean one, but ... :D

I got this error

then I went to C:\Users\user\AppData\Local and renamed the Turbine Folder to TurbineOld.

Started the Launcher and it updated just fine. This is from a Windows 7 Machine, so use careful.

Unhappy

Renaming the folder did not work for me.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast