We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

An Update error occurred: cannot save data file... it wont let me finish it :-(

having a problem with the patch and the launcher. Its stuck even freezes up as soon when I get the message: An update error occurred: cannot save data file... so im pretty much stuck... I run it as administrator so I dont understand why it doesnt want to continue. do I need to reinstall the entire game? phew I hope not sigh... Hope somebody knows whats going on with this error and how I could fix it :-/ thanks for taking your time reading this or answering it..

I cant even get past 'examine programs' in the launcher

I also have the cannot save data file error
    "Endure and Surive" Wolftear lvl 100 Hunter- Officer of The Ancient Ones kinship on Snowbourn.

I had to run into work for a bit and came back home to find that I was examining game date after over three hours of being left to run, this is not fun.
    Jimpy

It's always darkest before the doom

hmmm hopefully tomorow this is fixed for me. The thing I like to know is if a reinstall will fix this?

Quote Originally Posted by Everwind View Post
    hmmm hopefully tomorow this is fixed for me. The thing I like to know is if a reinstall will fix this?
    I am planning on waiting till tommorrow and try again and if it still has this error I will reinstall lotro:/
    "Endure and Surive" Wolftear lvl 100 Hunter- Officer of The Ancient Ones kinship on Snowbourn.

same for me....stuck...
    they shoulda listed this on their known issues list...
    Glad I dont have a subscription, hate to pay for a service that isnt there.
    currently without a home on Elendilmer

OK Guys i knowm ur frustrated but thanks another in the tech thread, called Testis, he came up with this and it working for me and others who try it

Still having a problem? Go to your Turbine folder in your Program Files (X86). Open The Lord of the Rings Online. Delete or move client_anim.dat through client_surface.dat. There are about 13 files. Restart the game. It'll update, get new files and start you on your way.
    [CENTER][SIZE=3][I][B][COLOR=#FF0000]Dont knock on Death's door, Hit the door bell and run, he hates that
    ;):p;)[/COLOR][/B][/I][/SIZE][/CENTER]

This solution works! for me too, for the ones with :cannot save data error.

Tried the administrator "trick" but didn't work.

Tried this successfully:
    http://forums.lotro.com/showthread.p...=1#post6468781

I deleted the files instead of moving them for the trick, but now I get a new error after completely finishing patching and logging in a window appears that says "ERROR:201 can't find dat files"

I guess this didn't do the trick afterall for me.

Dowloading by this new fix; all fine at this moment

im not going to do anymore downloading, n run the risk of just continuously downloading non fixes,everything ive treid has only got me half way, and still gets me 201 error's and just using my load limit without knowing it, i have a 2 day course to go to so i'll try again n frank if i see the game pak in stores i will be buying it rather than download and a pre back up thing to a fresh re install and a last ditch solution >_< =/ =(
    [CENTER][SIZE=3][I][B][COLOR=#FF0000]Dont knock on Death's door, Hit the door bell and run, he hates that
    ;):p;)[/COLOR][/B][/I][/SIZE][/CENTER]

Angry

Quote Originally Posted by Al. View Post
    I deleted the files instead of moving them for the trick, but now I get a new error after completely finishing patching and logging in a window appears that says "ERROR:201 can't find dat files"

I guess this didn't do the trick afterall for me.
    This is as far as I got too, trying to reinstall now

This seems to be the only solution but it is stupid that people have to redownload this whole client again.....
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/2921e000000003b8e/01008/signature.png]undefined[/charsig]