We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

Birch Tree Lose Autumn Colour in RoR

Logging into the Shire Homestead in RoR expansion the first thing I notice is the pleasant yellow autumnal leaf colour of the 'Birch Tree' small yard decoration has gone.

See before from lotro-wiki;

And now, a plainer green hue.

I suspect either;

a) It is showing an incorrect model (looks more like an aspen to me with different bark (closer to actual birch bark than original perhaps) and leaves) or;

b) a new model without the autumn colour.

Either way the tooltip is not correct as it stands;

Birch Tree
    Decoration Category: Small Yard

"A multi-trunk birch tree with golden-yellow leaves."
    Hopefully the change can be reversed as the original Birch Tree had a lot more character with the yellow hue and finer leaf and branch structure. This is also the case with the varients such as the 'Tall' version. It is a popular choice of tree from visiting homesteads.

As a landscape architect I notice these things

I agree

Just looking at the picture you can see that it has lost a lot of its former appeal. Not a good move by the developers.

oh man, that's a bummer, I loved the look of my birch trees as part of my autumn housing decor...
    If you ain't dyin' then you ain't tryin'...
    [url]http://andurula.blogspot.com[/url]
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0120300000013c508/01000/signature.png]undefined[/charsig]

Having gone and looked at the new one in person, I actually like it better; it looks like a birch tree and not a mallorn. Now, I DO think they should go back and add another one with the old colors, but a lot fewer of my housing reward birch trees would have been destroyed if they looked like that from the beginning.
    If you give away gold bars, someone will complain they're too heavy.
    .: Dannach, 100 WDN :.: Daire, 83 LMR :.: Gyrefalcon, 92 CHN :.: Brandon, 72 CPT :.: Honey, 71 GRD :.: Griffon, 69 HNT :.: Kaelenea, 72 RNK :.
    .: Iryth, 56 WDN :.: Baye, 56 WDN :.: Samtal, 64 WDN :.:Dunnock, 56 WDN :.: Sedgewald, 68 LMR :.: Breyon, 41 CHN :.: Tieran, 50 HNT :.

I am the master of my fate. I am the captain of my soul.
    Might as well face it, I'm addicted to WDN

Quote Originally Posted by Brandon_Blackbird View Post
    Having gone and looked at the new one in person, I actually like it better; it looks like a birch tree and not a mallorn. Now, I DO think they should go back and add another one with the old colors, but a lot fewer of my housing reward birch trees would have been destroyed if they looked like that from the beginning.
    Given the tooltip description and typical cultivated form of multi-stemmed birch, I think the original is more fitting especially if you compare it to the real thing;

I agree that the newer form has it's own quality; probably more at home in a less cultivated landscape (Bree-land Homesteads perhaps) and especially out in the wild environment. The bark detail is perhaps better defined and the limbs are definitely more solid and have less finesse.

Quote Originally Posted by isbjorn View Post
    oh man, that's a bummer, I loved the look of my birch trees as part of my autumn housing decor...
    I agree for the very same reason.
    Last edited by Toddlepip; Oct 15 2012 at 06:50 PM.

My entire house irl is surrounded by dozens of birch trees with pale yellow leaves just like in the picture

Me so lucky!