We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

Thread: Eorl's Hallow

Eorl's Hallow

Turbine's world-building, lore and language teams have done it again. While exploring Eastern Rohan you can find Eorl's Hallow, a memorial to the first king of the Mark. It is an unbelievable beautiful and lore-rich place that everyone as lore-fascinated should check out.

I'd like to share some pictures and transcriptions from the memorial. I have to admit, I'm a mathematician and not a linguist, so my transcription from Runic to Latin script is properly lacking. Lore and Tengwar, Quenya and Sindarin and I can master; but there is Old English to manage here. ;-)

The runes used are Futhorc (and can be found on other occasions throughout Rohan... Yes, this is a subtle clue). The stones depict the life of Eorl The Young, First King of the Mark. You can find the hallow a short ride south of Harwick/Feldburg/Fang Point in the Wold at 45.6S, 51.2W.

(oh and yes, I am very impatient and have compiled this during beta. I just barely managed to keep myself from posting until Rohan went live and everyone is able to adore this beautiful place :-) ).

Felarofes . yetemed . Leodes . wrecend

We see Eorl at young age taming Felaróf, first of the Mearas, the horse that has killed his father, Léod. Eorl demanded that Felaróf would serve him, avenging (wrecend) thus the death of his father (TA 2501).
    read . stræl . stanlendingas . laðung

The Red Arrow (read stræl) of Gondor is brought before Eorl summoning (laðung) him to aid the people of Gondor (stanlendingas, the Old English rendering from Sindarin "Gondor", Land of Stone) against the Balchoth (TA 2510). The messenger we see is Borondir, bearing a message from Cirion, who was Stewart of Gondor at that time.
    eoðeodes . rad . oferwadung . langflode

We see Eorl leading the Éothéod (as the Rohirrim were called when they still inhabited northern lands) to the south, along the Eastern shores of the Great River (langflode, the Old English rendering of Anduin, the Great/Long River).
    Seolforlades . Feld . eastcyninges . deað

We see Eorl triumphing over/slaying the Eastern Kings (eastcyninges) on the Field of Celebrant (Seolforlades Feld, the Old English rendering of the Sindarin "Celebrant", Silver-course).

Halig . Fyrgen . brothora . aðswarc

Three months after their victory the brothers-in-arms (brothora) Cirion and Eorl meet on Halifirien (the Holy Hill, Halig Fyrgen) to swear oaths (aðswarc)) of mutual protection. The province of Calenardhon is given to Eorl and his Éothéod as a gift.
    géong . cyning . ridamearces . hlaford

The young king (géong cyning) Eorl, Lord of the Riddermark, is sitting on the throne of Rohan in Aldburg. Note that Meduseld is not yet built at this time.
    Brego . æðeling . rices . yrfweard

Brego, Prince (æðeling) of the Markand heir (yrfweard) to the king together with his father.
    siðest . hild . wirðful . wældeað

Rohan is attacked by Easterlings in TA 2545, a battle in which Eorl falls - he is struck by arrows in battle (siðest hild) and has an honorable death in battle (wirðful wældeað), just the way Klingons like it. No, wait...

her . Eorl . mearces . fyrmest . cyning . afeol

In this place Eorl, First King the Mark, has fallen.

Great job both by Turbine and putting these posts together.
    [FONT=Trebuchet MS]"You can't fight the Enemy with his own Ring without turning into an Enemy" - J.R.R. Tolkien, Letter # 81

[/FONT]

Of course I spotted this only after sending you a message...

Three Cheers for this!
    It's just as unbelievable on Live as it was in Beta... and now we can visit it every day of the week!
    [center]Jestem tym, czym jestem.[/center]

We tried to do Eorl some LOTRO justice and finding this thread really helped cement some of our later scenes - thanks for sharing!

For anyone interested:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OFXIv91UQGs&feature=plcp
    Bards, Beers, & Longbeards!
    [URL]http://www.youtube.com/bardsbeerslongbeards[/URL]

Quote Originally Posted by Summer_Beor View Post
    We tried to do Eorl some LOTRO justice and finding this thread really helped cement some of our later scenes - thanks for sharing!

For anyone interested:
    You are most welcome! Glad that my work was somewhat helpful.

Your video tribute to Eorl is freaking fantastic! Thanks to all of you who put this amazing piece together. Great piece of art!
    Last edited by Erunamo86; Oct 28 2012 at 11:37 AM. Reason: Typos..

Agreed - a fine piece of work
    [FONT=Trebuchet MS]"You can't fight the Enemy with his own Ring without turning into an Enemy" - J.R.R. Tolkien, Letter # 81

[/FONT]

Quote Originally Posted by Summer_Beor View Post

For anyone interested:
    Absolutely amazing!

+rep for sharing that with us. /congratulate
    [I][FONT=Verdana]"[B]The wind of heaven is that which blows between a horse's ears.[/B]"[/FONT][/I] [SIZE=1]~ Bedouin Proverb[/SIZE]