We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

Question Light, medium, or heavy war-steep?

So I'm virtually planning out tomorrow in my head, until the game's available to execute my choice, it would be nice to not have to waste a bunch of trial and error time if beta players have insightful experiences they might share of the different mounts? (The awesome "How to not feel lost" and "Preparing for Rohan" threads don't touch on these specifics.)

Also it seems you have to make the right choice about leveling up a legendary bridle, or you are screwed.

Apparently light accelerates faster, at the expense of less health and armour. Heavy says less damage and mobility. Medium is trying to be half pregnant it seems, less survivability and less damage.

Does the light mount turn more readily than the heavy? (I've seen it suggested to dump all points into agility to aid those learning with turning.) Is the light easier for newer folks to control? Logic seems to suggest the heavy would be better for mêlée types, while light might be better for ranged, is that the case?

In videos, folks seem to favor the light for more damage, and make it appear easy to flee if desired, negating any benefit of the heavy outside of grouping (where you wouldn't want to strand your compatriots). Is that impression accurate, light for solo, heavy for group tank-type action? Or does everyone just use the light and put more points into it's health/armour to maximize damage and survivability?

Are there other strategies that become clear in use? Is it recommended to level up multiple bridles of different weights? Can I ask more questions in one post? ;-)

"Sometimes survival comes down to not being hit. Actually, most times." -the chicken skill, Bob and Weave
    [center]Click here for our community [url=https://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?key=0As1T2ZXLPqhTdE05T21qYklYRFF3emVuM18zTnU0aGc&hl=en]LOTRO store pricelist, conversion rates and pictures[/url], please contribute too![/center]

well, if it helps...

heavy steed specs are for tanking
    medium steed specs are for support (like healing and crown control)
    light steed specs are designed for damage dealers

so basicly, pick your steed spec based on what role you want to play when grouped. don't worry, you can save 7 different specs, so you can change roles when out of combat. (your character will basically dismount your war-steed and summon the new spec war-steed based when you select you're new spec)
    [CENTER]Forgotten_Legend
    [IMG]https://fbcdn-sphotos-e-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash3/527024_10201657307011879_113045648_n.jpg[/IMG]
    Malinon - 75 Champion | JAZRAIEL - 100 HUNTER | Taeran - 75 RuneKeeper
    [/CENTER]

Personally, I found it easiest to start out with a light warsteed and switch to another spec later on, when my steed has some levels and a bunch of points to dump into traits. I'm not very good at stearing my warsteed, and I found the steed type makes a lot of difference in that regard early on, when you don't have many points to spend on improving agility and such yet. The light steed is much easier to steer than the medium or heavy at the beginning.

Don't worry too much about the bridle type until you are at max level. Like weapons you'll eventually want a level 85 bridle, so the bridle (and type) you start out with is only temporary until you find what warsteed type works best for your character. You can re-spec to a different type of speed any time you want, and the bridle won't make that much of a difference while you still learn which traits work for you and which don't.

Quote Originally Posted by RJFerret View Post
    Also it seems you have to make the right choice about leveling up a legendary bridle, or you are screwed.
    The Legendary Bridle is just like any other Legendary... they drop, they level, they get deconned. Light,medium or heavy it doesn't matter. That designator applies to the GENERAL overall class of legacies. Some legacies are mount type specific, some apply to all types. As with all Legendaries, Legacies are random.
    Apparently light accelerates faster, at the expense of less health and armour. Heavy says less damage and mobility. Medium is trying to be half pregnant it seems, less survivability and less damage.

Does the light mount turn more readily than the heavy? (I've seen it suggested to dump all points into agility to aid those learning with turning.) Is the light easier for newer folks to control? Logic seems to suggest the heavy would be better for mêlée types, while light might be better for ranged, is that the case?

In videos, folks seem to favor the light for more damage, and make it appear easy to flee if desired, negating any benefit of the heavy outside of grouping (where you wouldn't want to strand your compatriots). Is that impression accurate, light for solo, heavy for group tank-type action? Or does everyone just use the light and put more points into it's health/armour to maximize damage and survivability?
    Read the RoR Dev diaries. They cover all of the above. Surprisingly there is surprisingly little difference in the three types for most players. Once you get up to about level 50 and have enough points to fill some trait lines, yes. But they are very flexible -- you can simply "re-trait" if you don't like what you've done. AND you can save several different "trait lines."
    Are there other strategies that become clear in use? Is it recommended to level up multiple bridles of different weights?
    The only limit to leveling up bridles is how many TP you want to spend for the additional LI slots. They are "just another" Legendary.

For some starting pointers and info see: http://lotro-wiki.com/index.php/War-steed
    The information is all based on the Beta, and needs to be verified/tweaked "tomorrow." (As well as a lot of missing information filled in.)
    Bill Magill - Mac Player - Old Timers Guild- Gladden:

Partial cast
    Valamar: Dwarf Hunter - Level 100
    Valdicta: Dwarf Rune-keeper - Level 100
    Valanne: Beorning - Level 80

I believe that Turbine will have a War-Steed guide book out with the release at the same place as the class guides are located. This will mostly be very basic to get your feet wet on what the various War-steed capabilities.

I would say that as for your first war-steed, start with medium one (or to be clear, spend points in medium traitline), because that is supposed to be a compromise between DPS and survivability. When you get a hang of this whole mounted combat thing (it can take a while), and when you have more trait points to experiment with, then you can try out light and heavy steeds as well and decide which one is the right one for you.

Light war-steed is very agile, the fastest one and turns in tightest corners. But it doesn't have much endurance (morale).
    Heavy war-steed can take a beating and has a nice skill called "trample", but maneuvering around is not too easy.
    Medium war-steed is, well, something between those two.

I played mostly on beta with runekeeper using medium war-steed, because that's what I decided to start with, just to be sure. Now in the end of beta I think my war-steed was level 43 (maximum is 50), I had plenty of trait points to spend, and I tried both light war-steed and heavy war steed.

Personally I didn't like heavy one because it felt like a tank (I guess that's the point ), was too difficult to handle (compared to other two), and although trampling your enemies was fun, for runekeeper it's easier to just use your class skills as you could DPS 360 degrees around you anyway.

With light war-steed I didn't find much difference in DPS compared to medium. In fact, I didn't notice much difference with heavy war-steed either, so the main differences were all about maneuvering.

Thing is that no matter which war-steed you choose, you will probably want to max out agility and start with yellow trait tree (affects maneuverability) first. My opinion is that because about everyone wants to improve their war-steed handling first, developers should have made maneuvering with war-steed easier in the first place.

About soloing... I do solo basically all the time, but I am not sure if light war-steed is better for that than medium one. At least medium war-steed has better durability, but it depends... I wonder if other beta-testers have better answers to this one. Still, as you can see, it's not easy to decide. On the other hand, it's also good thing because you cannot go horribly wrong, no matter which steed you choose.

About bridles... Like others have said, don't worry about that too soon. Pick the bridle for the war-steed type you want to start with, and when you are lvl 85, you should already know which war-steed you want to use and then you can switch to lvl 85 bridle of your choosing.

No, you jsut level a different one. Don't worry at the level 75 quest when you have a choice. You will get another choice at the end of the epic. And when you're leel 85 you will likely have found a better bridle.

Also it's not a big deal about bridle anyway. I found that most of the useful legacies are minor legacies, and can be used on any mount type. Only the major legacies are restricted to a particular mount type and overall they seem to be oriented towards skills you get deep into the mount's trait tree.

Heavy is slower turning but more durable. Light turns faster does more damage and is squishier. Medium is a balance. Also note that the trait trees for each mount type are slightly different, so the heavy steed traits are skewed a bit towards tanking whereas light is skewed towards damage dealing. Though you're certainly not restricted to just one of those choices based on mount type, you can take heavy mount and still use traits for more damage.

I play a LM. I used a heavy and a medium steed. The heavy steed is a tank. I didn't try the light steed, so I can't say much about it. The medium steed is a good default choice. After you have gotten some mount levels under your belt, spent some points on maneuverability, and gotten some time in the saddle; then you can see which type will work best for you. I never did get to level 50 in the last couple of beta rounds. Max talent points was 77, which we will see if that holds on release. With 77 points, you could not max out everything (3 discipline trait lines and five main stats). You will have some build choices to make.
    "No sadder words of tongue or pen are the words: 'Might have been'." -- John Greenleaf Whittier
    "Do or do not. There is no try." -- Yoda
    Indeed, in a world and life full of change, the only constant is human nature (A is A, after all :P).
    We old vets need to keep in mind those who come after us.

Thanks for the great insights all, really appreciated! :-)

(It's funny, I use Lotro-wiki all the time and contribute, but hadn't picked up on the War-steed page there yet.)

"Sometimes survival comes down to not being hit. Actually, most times." -the chicken skill, Bob and Weave
    [center]Click here for our community [url=https://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?key=0As1T2ZXLPqhTdE05T21qYklYRFF3emVuM18zTnU0aGc&hl=en]LOTRO store pricelist, conversion rates and pictures[/url], please contribute too![/center]

When I saw the title for this thread, I read:

Light, medium, or heavy war-sheep?
    Fordakidz(sapience) says, 'THIS IS MY ROCK! THERE ARE MANY LIKE IT BUT THIS ONE IS MINE!

Cool

The light Steed is the best one in my opinion. A fast mount, easy to control and felt very comfortable compared to the medium I was using before.
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0820700000001c210/01001/signature.png]Santaclaws[/charsig]

I suggest checking this for the exact war-steed stats:
    http://warsteeds.com/guides/the-stables/steed-types/

I haven't tried mounted combat yet but it seems that medium would be best for my Minstrel and light/medium for my Champion. I'll probably try the light war-steed anyways just to see how fast it can go.

Quote Originally Posted by Nindolvoth View Post
    When I saw the title for this thread, I read:

Light, medium, or heavy war-sheep?
    I have an interesting mental picture now.

"Moar wool, we need moar wool!" Presumably when you decon it, you would have a chance of getting a jumper?

From my point of view,
    one of the strongest advantages of the Light Steed is the trait in the middle (blue) tree which reduces cooldowns of some skills by 6 seconds. Now it all depends on the class and exact skill which are affected. For a captain, I would choose only the light steed for DPS purpose (e.g. for leveling), but for a RK the medium steed works as good as the light one for DPS (the Medium Steed improves DoTs while the Light Steed gives higher crit chance).

But at the beginning all steeds are equally good imho. There is almost no difference until your steed has enough points to spend on traits. And by that time you will get a feeling of what you want more - better maneuverability, more endurance (steed's morale) or simply a larger-size-mount because the graceful and elegant ladies in summer dresses look awesome on the huge Heavy Steeds.
    Ishtarien - Captain 100
    Ishtarel - HNT 100 / Ishtaridas - LRM 100 / Cabernetta - GRD 100 / Ishtari - RNK 100 / Ishti - BRG 100 / Lunasa - MNS 100 / Medovinus - BRN 100
    The Mellowship - [EN] Eldar -> [EN] Evernight

IMO the Light steed is the best because of the crit chance increase. It will take a bit but eventually you'll have enough points to get the cap stone skill for the Red Dawn tree. This will increase your crit chance while in red dawn. There's also a bridle legacy that further increases crit chance in red dawn. I was landing ALOT of crits with this setup. The Medium steed is nice because it is more durable and focuses on bleeds in the red dawn tree. That cap stone skill is nice but it's more about DoT's than the high damage numbers you get from the Light steed. I spent 9 points on the yellow tree for speed, acceleration, and handling then some in the blue tree for the 6 second cooldown on your MC skills. Anything remaining went into the stat bonuses (endurance, agility, power, strength for melee toons).

You have two spec save slots so I suggest you level your warsteed a bit and try both setups to see which you prefer. But remember that only the stat based bridle legacies carry over across warsteed types. The trait tree specific legacy benefits do NOT carry over.
    [COLOR=#ff0000][COLOR=#ff0000][SIZE=3][FONT=Times New Roman][COLOR=red]Sarik - Warleader [/COLOR][COLOR=#339966][COLOR=SeaGreen]//[/COLOR] [/COLOR][COLOR=#3366ff]Jacin - Champion [COLOR=SeaGreen]//[/COLOR] [COLOR=Green]Aiden - Minstrel[/COLOR][/COLOR][/FONT][/SIZE]
    [/COLOR]
    [/COLOR]

Quote Originally Posted by jayspeed View Post
    IMO the Light steed is the best because of the crit chance increase. It will take a bit but eventually you'll have enough points to get the cap stone skill for the Red Dawn tree. This will increase your crit chance while in red dawn. There's also a bridle legacy that further increases crit chance in red dawn.
    The fun part is that while the Light Steed trait gives +25% crit chance for some skills in one discipline, the Heavy Steed trait has a toggle skill which gives +25% crit chance for all skills in all three disciplines. It is a power hungry toggle though, but if you one-shot an enemy you don't need more power imho

(I do prefer the Light Steed, though not because of the higher crits. For both RK and Cappy I used the Riddermark Discipline a lot and thus I was getting a higher crit chance on the Heavy Steed.)
    Last edited by Lunasa; Oct 15 2012 at 12:32 PM.
    Ishtarien - Captain 100
    Ishtarel - HNT 100 / Ishtaridas - LRM 100 / Cabernetta - GRD 100 / Ishtari - RNK 100 / Ishti - BRG 100 / Lunasa - MNS 100 / Medovinus - BRN 100

I heard that we can use war steeds outside of the Rohan area, and that they are faster than our old mounts.
    That being the case, would it be worth considering a light steed for its faster speed, and its usefulness for faster travel around the Lotro world?

From what I was seeing during beta, it is my best recommendation that if you don't know specifically which steed to get, start with the medium steed. It is the "baseline" and the other two trade down some states for increases in others.&nbsp;<br><br>Again, its just MY recommendation - so it may not be worth a lot! lol&nbsp;
    Helm's Deep Devamp killed my long time toons. Currently bouncing around between post-HD newbie alts (a warden and champ) and other games.
    Baruk Khazâd! Khazâd ai-mênu!
    http://cruciblegaming.com

Quote Originally Posted by Disperate View Post
    I heard that we can use war steeds outside of the Rohan area, and that they are faster than our old mounts.
    That being the case, would it be worth considering a light steed for its faster speed, and its usefulness for faster travel around the Lotro world?
    You can have several trait setups for your steed and switch to the Light version whenever you need it.

However I would not bother with the small difference between the max speed for different steeds.
    There is a cap on the max speed (16mps). The Light Steed hits the cap very easy, while the Heavy Steed can't reach it without a skill Dash which is not available outside Rohan. This means that you are likely to have a Heavy Steed with about 14 mps instead of 16 mps and it is not the easiest difference to notice.
    Ishtarien - Captain 100

Quote Originally Posted by Dubbis View Post
    I suggest checking this for the exact war-steed stats:
    http://warsteeds.com/guides/the-stables/steed-types/
    Altough that website might be a good place for info, at this point there seems to be only screenshots of the INITIAL stats of those three war-steeds. These stats will change significantly with the trait choices you make, and bridle too, so I wouldn't pay too much attention to those.

Quote Originally Posted by jayspeed
    IMO the Light steed is the best because of the crit chance increase. It will take a bit but eventually you'll have enough points to get the cap stone skill for the Red Dawn tree. This will increase your crit chance while in red dawn. There's also a bridle legacy that further increases crit chance in red dawn. I was landing ALOT of crits with this setup. The Medium steed is nice because it is more durable and focuses on bleeds in the red dawn tree. That cap stone skill is nice but it's more about DoT's than the high damage numbers you get from the Light steed. I spent 9 points on the yellow tree for speed, acceleration, and handling then some in the blue tree for the 6 second cooldown on your MC skills. Anything remaining went into the stat bonuses (endurance, agility, power, strength for melee toons).
    I am sure that's so for your class, but for example as a runekeeper, there is only one way to go for DPS and that is Riddermark discipline. That is because Red Dawn is all about fire DOT's (which are very weak with mounted combat) and Riddermark is about lightning, and that does clearly more damage.

And as I learned from someone in beta, for wardens it's a bit same, as for them Spear/melee/Recklessness -style is tied to Red Dawn, and Javelin/ranged/Assailment -style is tied to Riddermark. As mounted combat is a lot easier for ranged classes, wardens might choose javeling-tossing when doing mounted combat and so choosing Riddermark line over Red Dawn for better DPS.

So, It all depends on your class really. The best advice I could give for everyone is this:

When you get your war-steed, try ALL three disciplines (Red Dawn, Rohirrim, Riddermark), check your skill tooltips and see how your skills change. For example, in some stance (usually Rohirrim), your skills might be mainly about healing, but when you switch to Red Dawn, they might be more about damage. And then Riddermark might do something else, maybe even more damage, or support etc.

So, when you have figured out what your skills do in different disciplines, and decided which discipline is for you, then check all capstone skills for heavy/medium/light war-steed and see if you really like one of those. Because although you can put points in all three traitlines and get the benefits, the capstone skill for each traitline is working ONLY when you are using that same discipline.

For example, let's say you have checked your skill descriptions in all three disciplines and noticed that Riddermark is the discipline you want to be in. Then you should check the capstone skills of Riddermark traitline for light, medium and heavy steed and see which one you like the best. As for rune-keeper, light Riddermark capstone skill gives your skills 50% change to dismount your enemies. Medium war-steed's Riddermark capstone skill makes several of your skills effects to last additional 7 seconds. And heavy war-steed's Riddermark capstone skill gives you -25% power cost for your mounted combat skills. So, if you like that additional 7 seconds to your skills effects the best, there is your answer: choose medium steed and use Riddermark discipline.

Of course the system is much more complicated than that, but that is how I am going to choose the "right" war-steed and disciplines for my 9 characters

Lots of good advice. I just want to correct a couple items.

First, the main difference between steed types isn't really the stats, it is that the trait trees do different things for each steed type. The capstone of each trait line, at least, is related to your class-specific steed skills. So, that is 9 variations of build for each class at the early stage (later you will have enough points to be more or less fully built in all three trait lines, so less of an issue later in game when, ironically, you know more about mounted combat).

Second, thinking about the steed types in terms of DPS, tanking, healing, ... is not going to help you. There isn't any tanking and, therefore, there isn't any real healing in mounted combat. There is a tiny, tiny bit of threat management in a few late warband encounters (maybe), but far and away mounted combat is purely a DPS race.

Third, ALL of the warsteeds are faster at top speed than any other mount in game. That's a plus and a minus as they are also much harder to control and speed doesn't help with control (but agility does and that also comes a little more/easier with light steed). But, the light steed and some early points in the yellow traitline will make your getting around Rohan much faster and more "epic."

Fourth, as far as I can find, only the light warsteed gets self-heals and the ability to replenish power. So, even if you expect to play for protracted fights, this steed seems to dominate out of the gate. As usual in LOTRO, DPS is the easy path as long as you can keep a fight going long enough to win all DPS races.

All in all, I think everything tips a little in favor of using a light warsteed at first. With no good reasons not to, I'd say pick up the light bridle at that first quest and build for speed, damage, and eventually rejuvenation until you have enough points and experience to make thinking about one of the other steed types worthwhile.
    Last edited by forceofnone; Oct 15 2012 at 01:46 PM. Reason: didn't realize we were talking about war sheep - never mind.

I used Light in the beta because of its maneuverability. If you keep moving, your warsteed won't take much damage anyway.
    Jaednor Wishsong
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/062050000001c0619/01008/signature.png]undefined[/charsig]