We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.
    Have moved, new address coming shortly, Arkenstone, Sweden

Task Items drops, are they really in sync with the region you are in?

Paying some attention to available Task Items the mobs drop, may some times come as a surprise. For Rohan and Dunland it seems "Punctured Shields" and "Marked Furs" are some kind of general currency that is deliverable in almost any place, from Enedwaith to Stangard, via Theodreds Riders.

Now I am in the Wailing Hills with my Warden, and the available Task Items on the Task Board at the Cuthstan camp are:
    • Blotchy Skins
    • Decorative Sword Sheaths
    • Fading Essences
    • Glassy Carapaces
    • Knotted Heartwood
    • Marked Furs
    • Piles of Sparkling Dust
    • Prismatic Scales
    • Punctured Shields
    • Speckled Ears
    • Sticky Goo
    • Thick Branches
    • Thick Tails

Task Board at the Limlight Gatehouse have the same list.´So does the one inside Stangard's Tavern.

After killing and collecting drops from in excess of 150 mobs in the surrounding area, I have not been able to assemble enough items for one single Task Delivery. I realize some Tasks may be for items you get in the Limlight Gorge, but there are plenty of mobs to kill in the Wailing Hills, we have two big orc camps with two factions, Mor-Hai and Nink-Hai, each with a camp to the north and to the south.

The drops I get from Orcs, Goats, Spiders, Hounds and Worms are:
    • Bent Metal Mace
    • Metal Sword Sheath
    • Tapered Carapaces
    • Vile Filth
    • Mucky Filth
    • Soft Brown Furs
    • Gorgeous Furs
    • Stretched Skins
    • Coloured Carapace
    • Viscous Goo

Then we have the occasional and useless "Jade Gemstone" which has no value at all, neither for crafting, tasking, or anything but a quick sell.

Are we not supposed to associate the Task Boards to the area in question, or has someone just forgot to make sure they have relevant content?

Going closer to Stangard, entering Eorlsmead, I know that slaying Brigands will give me some "Punctured Shields" but the drops from [Vicious Plain-Hounds] are similar to them from the Goats, and the [Rock-Worms] drop mostly "Rounded Scales"
    Last edited by Marancil; Dec 06 2015 at 01:53 PM.

Tasks are a bit frustrating, you are right. Normally i come across only 2 or 3 items from each task board in the region it is located. I don't do them by purpose anymore.

And the task items list on the Wiki is outdated... https://lotro-wiki.com/index.php/Task_items

Someone needs to do something about it.

Sigh, well, I shall start. Doing.Something.About.It .. The Wiki that is.

Devs, fix the game. It is only fair since I fix the docs.

BTW I just saw this: https://lotro-wiki.com/index.php/Tasks_Bulletin_Board with more info and betterly updated.
    Last edited by Marancil; Dec 07 2015 at 05:00 AM.

The problem with the task items in the Great River zone: Their item level is quite high (itemlvl 73 for all(?) of them). So, you won't see any until the mobs have an appropriate level. Since GR is a lvl 70-75 zone, you'll find those mobs relatively late (in the eastern region and in the Limlight Gorge).

Some ilvl 68 tasks would have helped, since those items are dropped by lvl 70-72 mobs.

Well I am 76, so basically I am only doing this for Task Items + Rep. I am continuing the independent quests, but quests do not give Task Items which I am also storing for younger characters.. 6-7 tasks per day gives a respectable amount of XP and Rep.

One thing I remember about the task items that drop in Great River is that some of them can be used in Snowbourn to get warsteed XP. I don't remember the exact overlap, but I'm pretty sure punctured shields are one of them.

I used to save the Great River task items I got from finishing deeds and pass them to characters that needed to build up their warsteed XP. That doesn't help you with the rep you're trying for now, but it's something to consider for later.
    “All that is gold does not glitter,
    Not all those who wander are lost;
    The old that is strong does not wither,
    Deep roots are not reached by the frost."

Quote Originally Posted by Marancil View Post
    Paying some attention to available Task Items the mobs drop, may some times come as a surprise. For Rohan and Dunland it seems "Punctured Shields" and "Marked Furs" are some kind of general currency that is deliverable in almost any place, from Enedwaith to Stangard, via Theodreds Riders.

Now I am in the Wailing Hills with my Warden, and the available Task Items on the Task Board at the Cuthstan camp are:
    • Knotted Heartwood
    • Thick Branches

Task Board at the Limlight Gatehouse have the same list.´So does the one inside Stangard's Tavern.
    These two items are limlight gorge specific; they drop from the huorns there. Turning them in anywhere in the Great River region gives you "Heroes of Limlight Gorge" rep (rather than the Stangard rep the rest of them give).

So, you can think of that pair as being a convenience that instead of only being able to turn in LL rep items within LL, you can turn them in anywhere (but of course you won't find them anywhere!).

As for the rest of them: I think at some point Turbine changed the levels of the mobs or the which level mob dropped what, so that the first half of the great river area doesn't drop much in the way of useful task items for the area, though I think some of them are still useful in older areas.

One of these days, Turbine will fix the tooltips for task items, and it will all make a lot more sense. (The tooltip really should tell you what regions or hubs you can turn in the item at...)

Yeah, well I gathered as much, seems I might have to postpone my levelling rep for Limlight a bit. Or find a bit of help.
    Last edited by Marancil; Dec 09 2015 at 06:25 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by ShireDweller View Post
    One thing I remember about the task items that drop in Great River is that some of them can be used in Snowbourn to get warsteed XP. I don't remember the exact overlap, but I'm pretty sure punctured shields are one of them.

I used to save the Great River task items I got from finishing deeds and pass them to characters that needed to build up their warsteed XP. That doesn't help you with the rep you're trying for now, but it's something to consider for later.
    Punctured Shield is one of them. Another is a Marked Fur.

You can turn these in in Harwick. I drop back to GR after getting a War Steed and quest & deed in Parth Celebrant and Rushgore for a while. Turn in the task items in Harwick and get the WS up to level 10 or so before continuing in The Wold.
    Cener, Ingo, Rilibald, Hesred, Halras, Loringo
    Arkenstone (ex-Elendilmir) - The Osgiliath Guard
    [url]http://www.theoldergamers.com[/url]

I was pleased but sadly unsurprised to find this had already been raised on these forums.

Come on Turbine, this ain't that hard. Align tasks with the drops in the region or align drops with the tasks, we honestly don't give a fat rat's ### which.

This post is slightly offtopic, but I hope someone finds it useful!

As you mentioned the Task list on Wiki, I want to drop in and mention the plugin "Daily Tasks reference". It's a good alternative to checking Task boards or Wiki manually. I use it almost every day myself. It scans your inventory and tells you what tasks you can complete, where, what level it is for, and who it gives rep for.
    It can be found here:
    http://www.lotrointerface.com/downlo...reference.html

Regards

Thanks Grahlwur, I do skim Lotrointerface from time to time, seen that one. I might actually start using it.... I find it tedious to track what I can sell and what to keep "if" some task can be used.

That does not take away the original problem though.

I've always treated task quests as instant completion quests that I do when I return to a quest hub. I hit the bulletin board and accept any task quests for which I already have 10+ items. Turn them in immediately. When I've done all I can, I sell off all but five slots worth (max), only keeping the ones that are good for the current regions, like Punctured Shield, Blotchy Skins, and Marked Furs for the Gap of Isen/Great River/The Wold areas. I might only have 1 Punctured Shield left after the turn-in, but I keep that and sell a stack of 9 of something else because Punc. Sh. drop from most of the humanoids and I get a ton of them.

If I've been working on a slayer deed, then I'll often have 2-3 stacks of a task item. After task turn-in I still have a couple stacks of 30-40 items. I turn those in at the start of my next day's play session. Get the XP, rep, IXP, and War Steed XP up front.

There is a big overlap in task items between areas from Gap of Isen/Great River onwards. I will often collect them from the lowest level area where they drop and turn them in at the highest level area where they can be used in order to get more for them. I don't think this needs to be changed. It's more of an inventory management exercise than a high impact effect.
    Cener, Ingo, Rilibald, Hesred, Halras, Loringo
    Arkenstone (ex-Elendilmir) - The Osgiliath Guard
    [url]http://www.theoldergamers.com[/url]