We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

creatures dwarfs have released

I have a question , I know the Dwarfs dug too deep and they've released The Balrog and the Watcher in the Water.
    I've read somewhere ;

"Their kingdom thrived and expanded for thousands of years. Yet, as the tales tell us, the wealth of Khazad-dûm was founded on the precious metal, mithril. In their endless seeking of this treasure, they opened shafts into the deep earth, releasing nameless evil creatures."

So does someone know other creatures they've released beside these ones ?

Quote Originally Posted by mrkenneth4life View Post
    I have a question , I know the Dwarfs dug too deep and they've released The Balrog and the Watcher in the Water.
    I've read somewhere ;

"Their kingdom thrived and expanded for thousands of years. Yet, as the tales tell us, the wealth of Khazad-dûm was founded on the precious metal, mithril. In their endless seeking of this treasure, they opened shafts into the deep earth, releasing nameless evil creatures."

So does someone know other creatures they've released beside these ones ?
    I don't remember the Watcher being released by the Dwarves... though he may be one of the nameless evil creatures (or, at least, an aquatic version).

The nameless evil creatures I assume would be the creatures Gandalf saw when he was chasing the Balrog below Moria. Maybe what is meant by 'release' in this context is just the Dwarves connecting their passages to those made by the nameless, accidentally?

yes , I mean released like you said , the dwarfs connecting their passages the the other ones.
    I'm really curious if someone knows anything more about that.

about the Watcher in the Water ;
    "It is told that when the fiery Balrog was loosed upon Moria, another being came out of the dark waters beneath the mountains. This was one of the great Krakens, a massive creature with many tentacles and a slimy sheen. It was luminous green and had an inky stench emanating from its foul bulk. For many years, it lay patiently in the black water beneath the mountains."

they may not have set it free but it came at the same time as the Balrog.

Quote Originally Posted by mrkenneth4life View Post
    about the Watcher in the Water ;
    "It is told that when the fiery Balrog was loosed upon Moria, another being came out of the dark waters beneath the mountains. This was one of the great Krakens, a massive creature with many tentacles and a slimy sheen. It was luminous green and had an inky stench emanating from its foul bulk. For many years, it lay patiently in the black water beneath the mountains."
    Where is this quote from?
    I googled and found the article you are quoting this from in non-canon, and thus we cannot take the information presented by it as fact (as factual as can be for a work of fiction).

Tolkien left it as "nameless things" I think, I don't recall anywhere reading any more detail about it. They're old and foul, we know that much. Probably of the same ilk as Bombadil and Ungoliant, no one really knows where or what, just that they exist.

There's all sorts of vague "beasties" mentioned throughout Tolkien's works, even the "fell beasts" the Nazgul ride are only given by descriptive names, never any origin or "real" name for them.
    [CENTER][I][FONT=georgia]"Never laugh at live dragons"[/FONT][/I]
    [/CENTER]

Nameless (aka goatsucker) are quite abundant in the Foundations of the stone, Moria. They vary in aspects but the most common are the size of a man, bipedal, 2 goat like horns & spikes on the back.
    Jokes aside the Silmarion say that in the begining of times there where creatures of all kind that are not today & did not look a like the creatures nowdays.
    Last edited by YamydeAragon; Oct 13 2012 at 06:40 PM.

Caveclaws and those spiders in water works, dwarves sure have a problem dealing with spiders. Although neither appear in LOTR books.