We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

Just a few questions about Bag End and the Shire.

When I first read the Lord of the Rings, I saw Tolkien's description of Biblo's garden at Bag End in a different way than Turbine. I always thought that Bilbo's garden was huge, and took up a large portion of his yard area. In the game however it is rather small. Am I wrong in reading this? I would look it up, but I don't have access to the books right now.

Secondly, I thought the "Party Tree" area was a one-time only thing. I recall the book saying that it was set up in a large vacant field, and taken down the next day. So why is there a constant party going on there in Lord of the Rings Online?

Quote Originally Posted by TheVinster17 View Post
    Secondly, I thought the "Party Tree" area was a one-time only thing. I recall the book saying that it was set up in a large vacant field, and taken down the next day. So why is there a constant party going on there in Lord of the Rings Online?
    Because what you get in-game is essentially the theme-park version. They're not going for realism.

Yes, in the book all the party stuff was cleared out and taken away the following day I believe.

As far as to why there are new tents and tables going up in the game, I think it is part of some quest involving Lobelia trying to throw her own birthday party. I could be wrong about that one though.
    Today is a good day for Pie.

Do not meddle in the affairs of Burglars, for they are subtle and quick to shank you.

Quote Originally Posted by bambubambubambu View Post
    ---As far as to why there are new tents and tables going up in the game, I think it is part of some quest involving Lobelia trying to throw her own birthday party. I could be wrong about that one though.
    In LotRO's Shire, it's always (with slight variations) a time bit before Lobelia's birthday party, about which there are comments that she's aping Bilbo... to an extent.

Because Shire's 'old region', phasing wasn't/isn't available; there are places that are locked in time. In the Shire, it's more or less September 24th, the day after Frodo and co. left.

This thread brought to mind another question I hadn't considered during the previous Fall Festivals...

Should the Haunted Burrow have an attic? Seeing as how there's supposed to be no going upstairs for a hobbit and all...

Do not meddle in the affairs of Burglars, for they are subtle and quick to shank you.

Cool well heres my thoughts

probably not in tolkien lore hobbits dont have attics and have roofs as tall as them not as the tallest person in the game (they should also not allow men and elves to get in without bumping their heads

Quote Originally Posted by superstorm View Post
    probably not in tolkien lore hobbits dont have attics and have roofs as tall as them not as the tallest person in the game (they should also not allow men and elves to get in without bumping their heads
    In EQ2, halfling houses have low ceilings (so Big Folk almost bump their heads) and yeah, that's a really nice touch

As far as to why there are new tents and tables going up in the game, I think it is part of some quest involving Lobelia trying to throw her own birthday party. I could be wrong about that one though.
    That was Turbine 'forgetting' entirely that the Sackville-Bagginses were supposed to be miserable people, tight-fisted and acquisitive (remember how Lobelia tried to steal some of Bilbo's silverware by hiding it in her umbrella?) and hence not the sort to throw big parties. They just wanted Bag End for themselves because they'd always felt it was rightfully theirs.

Im not sure completely but also you can count the party tree as Bilbo's yard in the game at least looks like the only house with that chunk of land in front of it.

Also bag end is supposely a very high class residence by hobbit standards, seems lobelia and the other greedy reatives just wanted to grab it for their own, tolkien is very explicit on that topic that is why Bilbo doesn't like his relatives at least some of them.

Quote Originally Posted by Daeross View Post
    In LotRO's Shire, it's always (with slight variations) a time bit before Lobelia's birthday party, about which there are comments that she's aping Bilbo... to an extent.

Because Shire's 'old region', phasing wasn't/isn't available; there are places that are locked in time. In the Shire, it's more or less September 24th, the day after Frodo and co. left.
    I like the time locked areas concept for the most part, but sometimes they can be confusing to me. In this particular time frame I think Lobelia is the owner of Bag End. Frodo sold it to her before he left.

As far as the quest goes involving her party, I can't say that I ever finished it completely, but Lobelia isn't very concerned about being nice during the preparations. She's controlling and spiteful and generally ends up making everyone miserable per usual.

--- As far as the quest goes involving her party, I can't say that I ever finished it completely, but Lobelia isn't very concerned about being nice during the preparations. She's controlling and spiteful and generally ends up making everyone miserable per usual.
    It's a good idea to try and finish it at least once. If only for the satisfaction of reading the other hobbits' comments, their opinions about Lobelia... and one of the last parts of it is either terribly funny or dreadfully terrible, depending on your feelings towards brigands.

So I decided to run this quest chain all the way through today. Some things became a little more clear as I read the beginning dialogue.

The background on the first text box reads:

Background
    Lobelia Sackville-Baggins is planning a birthday party for herself grand enough to outshine that of Bilbo Baggins several years before. She wants fireworks worthy of her efforts

So basically it's as others have said before, the Party Tree area is locked in this 'new party' state indefinitely. The movies make it seem like Frodo went rushing off in a shorter amount of time after the Birthday Party, but it was actually around 17 years between the Party day and when Frodo and Co. left.

Finally got around to finishing the quest chain on the Landy server. Of course I had to take a shot of the inevitable and slightly disturbing conclusion...

But hey...I got some free fireworks so it's all gravy!