We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

Easy-read Silmarillion stories?

Does anyone know of any sites (possibly fan fiction) where the stories from the Silmarillion are re-written to be more, well story-like, as opposed to reading like they're from a history book?

I'm looking for stuff that's canon, just reads a bit more LotR and a bit less like the Bible.
    [CENTER][SIZE=1]MINSTREL and member of the vocal minority[/SIZE][/CENTER]

Well, I don't know of any site that "re-writes" Tolkien's words that could be considered canon (and to do so i think would be missing the point of Tolkien's intentions) but - if you want an excellent aid with how to read Tolkien and a discussion of the themes that really helps with reading and understanding Tolkien's works, then I would strongly recommend you visit this site and listen to the lectures and do the read-alongs.

http://www.tolkienprofessor.com/wp/lectures/

To get right into the silmarillion without reading the suggested reading first:

http://tolkienprofessor.com/wp/lectu...llion-seminar/

during the course you will discover that there is a very specific reason why the silmarillion is written as it is, and that every word (yes, every single word) was specifically chosen for effect.

Also you could try the Children of Hurin which is a 1st age tale written out as a narrative by JRRT and publish after his death by CT
    Last edited by Dwarendele; Oct 11 2012 at 03:27 PM.

I would highly recommend Children of Hurin if you want a good First Age story. I thought it was very well done and laid out much like the Lord of the Rings. I have read the Silmarillion at least once and agree it's not the easiest book to get through.
    Today is a good day for Pie.

Do not meddle in the affairs of Burglars, for they are subtle and quick to shank you.

Thanks for the suggestions.

I have read the Silmarillion twice, but I just don't retain any of the information because it's not story-like enough for me I guess. I also don't really remember the characters because there are so many and not more than a chapter or two about each.

I do listen to The Tolkien Professor's Riddles in the Dark podcast already. I will look into his other lectures and do the read-alongs. I will also look into Children of Hurin. I'm currently reading Lost Tales, so I'll do one of those next.
    [CENTER][SIZE=1]MINSTREL and member of the vocal minority[/SIZE][/CENTER]