We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Suggestion: Ettenmoors Reinforcement Session-Play Selectables

Hey folks!

Session-Play allows you to play as a Troll in the Ettenmoors. This suggestion focuses on improving the existing rather than adding something completely new to the game mechanics. There will be multiple choices of Trolls to choose from when using the Session-Play Panel. This will not change the mechanics of the Troll class, but rather change their cosmetic appearances.

Rank Skins - Rank skins are unlocked by reaching a particular rank on your Creep character. There is a rank skin for every 2 ranks. The first skin is available without a rank requirement as a default skin for those who haven't yet reached Rank 3. A Rank 15 will have all of the rank skins unlocked and will be able to choose any of the 8 skins available for his Session.

Special Skins - Special Skins are unlocked with a one time payment of Turbine Points in the LOTRO Store.

Lowering the Price / Allowing 5 each side: The price has been dropped down to 200 Commendations per Session Played to increase the use of the Trolls. The amount of Trolls allowed will be changed to not only also increase the amount of use, but also introduce a real hardened enemy force backing up their side (After-all, Session Play is only available when a side is heavily outnumbered, so sending in single Session-Play character wouldn't make much sense).

Okay, let's read down below to get a better understanding of what I'm talking about (See below).

Monster Play: Troll Session-Play

Okay so I spent a few hours scouting around and snapped a few screenies so that you can have a visual. So go ahead and click the links below to get a closer look at what the skin looks like. The idea is to start out as rookie looking troll and work your way up the ranks until you look like the deadliest thing to walk the Earth (Er, or Middle-Earth rather). I've decided that there really needs to be more than one specimen of Troll in the Ettenmoors.

Rank Unlockables (Please click the links below to see a screenshot of each appearance):

Special Unlockables (Please click the links below to see a screenshot of each appearance):

Live on the Battle-Field - Okay so imagine that the Free People's have advanced heavily on the forces of Angmar. The Monster Players have nowhere to turn and hope seems to be lost. Then out of nowhere a group of heavily armoured Trolls crash into the battle-field breaking the lines of the Free People's and forcing them to retreat back to their Coldfells Base. The best part is that the Trolls don't all look the same.

Alright, well hopefully this will increase the fun factor for Session-Play.

Like it? Hate it? Leave your comment below. If you have a question or concern, please include those in your comment.

I like it. It's a nice fun thing to have in the moors and it's not too hard to implement (I imagine). Plus, it gives Turbine another way to milk us.
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0420801000011a1c9/signature.png]Feelmybite[/charsig]

Quote Originally Posted by Samus1111111 View Post
    another way to milk us.
    Is this a Farmville joke?

I like the idea, though I am sure the freeps will want a similar thing with Rangers.

Quote Originally Posted by Graycient View Post
    Besides one side needs something unique from the other side.
    Ya, freeps get to win, creeps get troll skins :P.
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0420801000011a1c9/signature.png]Feelmybite[/charsig]

I like it, and +rep for the awesome showcasing of trolls in LOTRO.

I'm curious however, do you mean to say that current population caps will remain for the ranger session play? Or that rangers will continue to look identical?

The identical ranger thing is fine with me, but the number of slot available really should be the same.
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0a20b0000000af98e/01008/signature.png]Gurthalion[/charsig]
    [OOC] Faja: 'new expansion isnt even out yet, i've already failed at it'

No. They get up to 5 trolls at once too. Not just 2. Or did you miss that in my post? :P
    Ah, I thought you were basing it off the RoR changes to the troll/ranger. I'm pretty sure that a max of 5 of either can be out at a time (dependent on keep control) so I assumed 5 trolls/rangers was the basis of what you were building on.

Good suggestion, and another great thread. +rep

This is a brilliant idea.

Though I think there should be more Gorthorog skins.

No. They get up to 5 trolls at once too. Not just 2. Or did you miss that in my post? :P

Up to 5 Trolls at once on Creepside. Only 1-2 Rangers at once on Freepside. Yes Rangers would all look the same.

I don't agree. There are less rangers since the Dunedain are falling into extinction.
    According to lore, then, the rangers should be one-shotting everyone out there and be nearly unkillable. They should also be one shotting the trolls.

Be careful what you wish for when it comes to lore.

However, on the topic of troll skins: I do think that it is a great idea to implement and it would cause no harm to put it in the game. It would also be interesting if small skill changes were implemented according to the set that you chose (no set being better than another). For example, certain trolls could focus on ranged skills while others could absorb more damage and knock back foes.

This sounds awesome. What if we dropped the 5 trolls to 3 and made it do more than just skins. More/better skills armor etc with rank?
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/022040000000c7eb3/01003/signature.png]undefined[/charsig]
    [CENTER]
    [/CENTER]

No, no and no. Rangers are suppose to be rare. Trolls are of abundance. This only works in lore-wise with the Creepside. The Freeps can whine about it all they want. too bad lol Besides one side needs something unique from the other side.
    No, no and no? Really? Come off as a dick much?

Turbine plays fast and loose with lore as it is. They skirt it as far as they can. Not that I mind, but still. I agree with the uniqueness part, but it might be a bit much. And as was said before, if you wanna stick to lore, rangers should be nigh unstoppable.

Quote Originally Posted by Felajarko View Post
    No, no and no? Really? Come off as a dick much?

Turbine plays fast and loose with lore as it is. They skirt it as far as they can. Not that I mind, but still. I agree with the uniqueness part, but it might be a bit much. And as was said before, if you wanna stick to lore, rangers should be nigh unstoppable.
    Okay before we make this into a big fight, can we just stick to commenting on the idea in general? The numbers of each side is all irreverent since it is subject to change. Afterall, this idea is merely a WIP. I can make the changes to the idea based on the player feedback. But yes, I will consider what you said
    Last edited by Graycient; Oct 10 2012 at 05:34 PM.

Okay before we make this into a big fight, can we just stick to commenting on the idea in general? The numbers of each side is all irreverent since it is subject to change. Afterall, this idea is merely a WIP. I can make the changes to the idea based on the player feedback. But yes, I will consider what you said
    As I said, I like the idea and it definitely has merit. And the skins idea is really cool. Its almost a new class for creeps.

Quote Originally Posted by Felajarko View Post
    As I said, I like the idea and it definitely has merit. And the skins idea is really cool. Its almost a new class for creeps.
    Okay. thanks for the feedback.

Quote Originally Posted by Dontdazemebro View Post
    According to lore, then, the rangers should be one-shotting everyone out there and be nearly unkillable. They should also be one shotting the trolls.
    Where is that in the text?

Considering that the last two chieftains of the Dunedain before Aragorn were killed by Trolls and Orcs (yes, just some Orcs) respectively, I do believe that you are vastly overestimating their combat prowess.

And besides, we've already tried the Ranger One-shot game, if you can remember back to when Isengard first launched.

In regards to the thread topic, I like the idea but the current Troll Session play skin needs to be included (Troll Crusher is the name we have). It's a very nice one and I, for one, like it better than the Rank 15 one you have.
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0520a01000017ae5d/signature.png]Ugmog[/charsig]

Co-host and editor of [URL=www.throughthepalantir.blogspot.com]Through the Palantir[/URL].

Quote Originally Posted by Ivaneus View Post
    In regards to the thread topic, I like the idea but the current Troll Session play skin needs to be included (Troll Crusher is the name we have). It's a very nice one and I, for one, like it better than the Rank 15 one you have.
    Oh you want that one of the R15 one? :P

Hey btw big fan of your yt channel.

Considering that the last two chieftains of the Dunedain before Aragorn were killed by Trolls and Orcs (yes, just some Orcs) respectively, I do believe that you are vastly overestimating their combat prowess.

And besides, we've already tried the Ranger One-shot game, if you can remember back to when Isengard first launched.
    If you were around at SoA, rangers one-shotting warleaders would be far more of an occurrence than it was in isengard.

In RoR rangers still suck balls, hunters follow their 'assassin' role at least 100 times better than rangers can.

Oh you want that one of the R15 one? :P

Hey btw big fan of your yt channel.
    I'm just saying it should be included because it's a nice looking one and it's the one we already have. It doesn't need to be the Rank 15 or anything, hey it could be the Troll Anniversary Skin! But I do think it should still be available.

And I'm glad you like the channel.

Quote Originally Posted by Untg99 View Post
    If you were around at SoA, rangers one-shotting warleaders would be far more of an occurrence than it was in isengard.

In RoR rangers still suck balls, hunters follow their 'assassin' role at least 100 times better than rangers can.
    I brought up Isengard because it was the most recent. There's no need to go further back to make the point I was making.

Now in all honesty Rangers and Trolls are not meant to be "assassins" or solo juggernaughts. They are there to help even the tide for the faction that is outnumbered and losing ground. They are meant to work with allies! I for one have never seen a Ranger act as a spearhead for a group of freeps and coordinate with them. They're always doing their own thing off to the side or towards the front. Why do Rangers not use Dunedain Mark to set up a kill for the raid but only as the precursor to their own attempt to get a kill? The big red floaty is a great "Kill HIM" sign and the removal of B/P/E is great too.

tl;dr Rangers don't have an "assassin" role and are not meant to have one. They're a support class, and so are the Trolls.
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0520a01000017ae5d/signature.png]Ugmog[/charsig]

Co-host and editor of [URL=www.throughthepalantir.blogspot.com]Through the Palantir[/URL].

I think that R10 should grant the Barz and Zurm skins.

Well let's play around with this then and see what we can change.

Keep the suggestions coming, I'll be keeping an eye on the comments.

I saw a good idea elsewhere on the forums whereby the character played as for session play depends on the race and class of the user. I'm gonna take and modify this idea as a suggestion.

Defilers get Chieftain Zabúrz.
    WL's get Tyrant Uzulthrang.
    BA's get Taskmaster Larzmaugoth.
    Reavers get Chieftain Pushi.
    Wargs get Mazauk.
    Spiders get Gorgoris.

All of these would be greatly enhanced versions of the class. But at the same time, they would be modified, so that Uzulthrang would not be far stronger than the rest, and Zabúrz's heals would actually do something. They could each fulfil a role on the field.

Angry

IT WAS HUNDREDS OF THEM!!!!!!,
    hence the plural.
    The only impossibility is the possibility of impossibilities -Me

Quote Originally Posted by Squelcher View Post
    I saw a good idea elsewhere on the forums whereby the character played as for session play depends on the race and class of the user. I'm gonna take and modify this idea as a suggestion.

Defilers get Chieftain Zabúrz.
    WL's get Tyrant Uzulthrang.
    BA's get Taskmaster Larzmaugoth.
    Reavers get Chieftain Pushi.
    Wargs get Mazauk.
    Spiders get Gorgoris.

All of these would be greatly enhanced versions of the class. But at the same time, they would be modified, so that Uzulthrang would not be far stronger than the rest, and Zabúrz's heals would actually do something. They could each fulfil a role on the field.
    I didn't like this idea when I first read it, 'cause trolls are cool, but then I thought about it for a bit. What I imagined was my spider but with that inspiration buff freeps get in some of the epic story instances, and that would be flippin' amazing.

Fantasies aside though, a session play with a 100k-ish morale spider, with the basic skills of the weaver class, and stats around Elite Master level would be a lot of fun, and I might actually try that, where I've never even wanted to do troll-play.

I say the basic skills of the weaver class because a weaver with all the skills and everything, with stats adjusted up to Elite Master level or higher would be mass slaughter.

I think for this idea to be interesting to me though, it'd have to be like, a really powerful version of that class, with the same skills and all, but not all the skills because certain ones would be ridiculous scaled up that much (Impale, Vital Target, Revenge, Devastating Strike).
    "Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups." -George Carlin

Like the concept. Question is would it be just the skin, or would the different Troll types have different abilities to somewhat reflect their rest-of-the-world cousins? I could actually see the Rank Reward trolls being more powerful (though not radically) than the lesser ones.

Though knowing Turbine's business model of late, I suspect they'd go with your Unlockable trolls, rather than rank gated ones. Which, in a case like this, I would actually be perfectly fine with. It would be like buying advanced skills.
    Hobbits . . .
    Now them's good eatin'!

Thumbs up I like i...I love it

On our server whenever the board goes blue it usually means we are severely outnumbered and outgunned. So the story goes that three trolls will charge out to take on the fraid and get the full amount of the fraids attention being pummpled rather quickly. The idea of 10 trolls (yes I said 10) charging out of Grams and scattering a full fraid sounds epic and why not let it swing the other way when the board is red. The underdog side should get a distinct advantage when it merits it.
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0e2150100000f3a6c/signature.png]Guthgus[/charsig]

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast