We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

Is there any point to being a Jeweller?

This is something I've suddenly been asking myself.

I'm playing all classes without help of each other. Since I also don't like using consumables, I made the following decision: everyone gets a vocation with their respective armor being the main thing (Metalsmith and Explorer), except for Light Armor wearers who go for jewels (Tinker).

Of course from the start I already noticed it: the recipes are absolutely terrible. In the end, I pretty much only wear the +...vit jewels (+5 vit rings and +7 vit earrings, critted), and a +60 evade rating critted necklace only because necklaces are quite rare to get at first, and usually another reward is more wanted when a necklace is offered (perhaps the other craftable +... morale necklace would be better in theory, but it gives such little morale, I will never reap the benefits of that, while evade does at least something, as small as it is).

This is only the first 15 levels, perhaps it gets better, but when I look at tier 2 recipes, I just don't see how their critted benefit could back their weakness up.

So, is there any point in being a Jeweller? Wouldn't being a Tailor and making Light Armor be better? Or will things get better later on?

craft vocations start paying off round the 40's
    also make sure that you craft jewelry and armour for all your alts(makes them way stronger)

Quote Originally Posted by Zerfinite View Post
    [...] I also don't like using consumables, [...]
    As a jeweller, you can craft hope tokens. Should you ever start running group content, you will defenitely need those. Also, if you encounter mobs that spread 4 or 5 points of dread, you'll need hope tokens to fight properly. Apart from that, hope tokens from tier 7 sell well in the auction house.

This is only the first 15 levels, perhaps it gets better, but when I look at tier 2 recipes, I just don't see how their critted benefit could back their weakness up.

So, is there any point in being a Jeweller? Wouldn't being a Tailor and making Light Armor be better? Or will things get better later on?
    Once you reach Expert level, you should join the jeweller's guild. You might come to rethink your judgement on the quality of crafted jewellery then.

So, be patient for a little while!

For the toons I was making jewelry for, the crafted jewelry started to pay off (i.e. surpass the quest reward pieces enough to make crafting it worth it) at roughly tier 3. I agree with the poster who said to stick it out through Expert; check out the basic recipes for that tier and also see what the Jeweller's Guild has to offer.

Also, if you are planning on rolling a Lore-master, bear in mind that having a Jeweller is typically the easiest way to get the cosmetic talismans for LM pets (as opposed to hoping someone will post them on the AH...doesn't really happen on my server). And hope tokens are always useful for every class.

I think Tinker guilded Jeweller best prof for a main char in the game. At End Game the best armor isn't crafted but PvP or raid reward gated, crafted jewelry in the past has held up better compared to the alternatives than crafted armor has, and having a guilded Jeweller allows you to fill up 7 slots quickly.

I found crafting the first two tiers rather useless on any vocation.

I have toons of pretty much every vocation. Jeweller, from my experience, is one of the best vocations to do as some of the higher-levelled crafted jeweller is great and used by players in end-game. Not to mention you are also able to train cooking besides jeweller, allowing you to make your own food.

I have the exact opposite feeling about jeweller. Whereas my Armourer and Tailor have nearly no multiple-output recipes at all, leaving my Light Armour chars with far more Fate and too few Will with nearly no +crit, my jeweller manages to provide something usefull for everyone since I have multiple-output recipes for nearly everything and everyone.

Also, as you progress, Armour and Weapons become significantly less usefull as quest rewards quickly gain the upper hand, whereas Jewelry remains fairly on-par.

Another benefit; Hope tokens, as mentioned earlier, a form of consumables not to be neglected.

Majority of crafted stuff is mediocre at best. I tend to focus on the guild crafted stuff if I'm crafting for alts otherwise it's just craft to vendor thanks to the sheer volume needed to level and how bland the stuff is. Expert jeweller needs gold and lots of it so that can be a fair grind if you cant find players willing to exchange your rich iron for their gold.

Jewellers get hope tokens which are the biggest draw for that profession, everyone can use them and they arent plagued by odd stats at lower levels. LM tokens that alter pets sometimes sell but not half as useful as the hope tokens.

Majority of the gear before RoI is pretty dodgy anyway as with that expansion turbine altered the way classes use stats and yet didnt bother to give crafting or even the epic quest rewards a once over to adjust things. So you'll find a lot of light armour with might and agility on rather than stats that are aimed at light armour classes.

Likewise when they rolled out the way of boosting xp without having to craft vendor trash they didnt bother to roll it out across the lower tiers that really would have benefitted from that system far more. larger proportion of levelling characters and gatherers will be in the eastemnet tier zones unless they are refugees from the rubberbanding.

For levelling its worth paying a visit to the dwarf outside the thorins hall rep section and buying the patterns to level off. Will save you a grind later if you decide you want a goat from them for moria.

Quote Originally Posted by Grimdi View Post
    I found crafting the first two tiers rather useless on any vocation.
    Except that it got you to tier 3. Gotta do the apprenticeship to appreciate the mastery.

Quote Originally Posted by Abiyah View Post
    Except that it got you to tier 3. Gotta do the apprenticeship to appreciate the mastery.
    Actually, it's not that bad. Yes, the generic jewelery is nothing special, but at lower levels, even at tiers 1-2, it is still better than most landscape quest gear. The situation starts to change when you reach the level 50 books of Volume I (i.e. Angmar and beyond), when epic quest gear is visibly superior, and only guild jewelery may be better (though not always). This is the same for Moria epic quests, which offer quite good jewelry as well.

When you get to Dunland (i.e. Westfold tier, or tier 7), most non-guild crafted gear is really pitiful, save for the reputation-gated recipes. By the way, most of the crafted gear is nothing special in East Rohan either (though it's better than tier 7). The main problem is that you can get some pretty decent gear from barter vendors (and you get so many tokens that you can switch gear at every stage, if you want). Itemization is not very well done, as I have some level 80 jewelry which I wouldn't replace with level 83 ones, only guild-level crafted jewelry is better at the moment, and you still have to make some compromises.

Tinker controls 7 pieces of gear, has the best-selling top-tier outputs of any craft, can make hope tokens, and can also make food. I have 3 of them, and I always suggest every new player start with a Tinker as their first character, regardless of class. I don't think there is any point to being anything *but* a Tinker if your characters are going to be either self-sufficient, or if you're only going to play one. If nothing else, selling the fruits of prospecting alone will make you enough money to buy anything you'll need in-game.
    [color=red]Work like no one is watching, dance like you don't need the money...[/color]

Quote Originally Posted by Frisco View Post
    Tinker controls 7 pieces of gear, has the best-selling top-tier outputs of any craft, can make hope tokens, and can also make food. I have 3 of them, and I always suggest every new player start with a Tinker as their first character, regardless of class. I don't think there is any point to being anything *but* a Tinker if your characters are going to be either self-sufficient, or if you're only going to play one. If nothing else, selling the fruits of prospecting alone will make you enough money to buy anything you'll need in-game.
    this is good advice. Tinker is an excellent porfession, from gear out alts, to cooking for kin mates to selling mats. Dosent get much better.

Another reason why Jeweler is good to have is that jewelry takes damage very easily, and you have a lot of pieces of it.

While you level it is very reasonable not to repair but to replace with newly-made pieces. This also helps leveling the craft without vendor-trashing the newly made items.

Non-crit jewelry is fine for leveling use but sells so badly that you rarely find it on the AH. So unless you have a kinmate making it for you doing it yourself is a good option.

dont know about jeweller, but as warden i dont need any food or drink, because im allways full of morale and power well, maybe later, in raid content, will need them

Quote Originally Posted by JBriz View Post
    I have toons of pretty much every vocation. Jeweller, from my experience, is one of the best vocations to do as some of the higher-levelled crafted jeweller is great and used by players in end-game. Not to mention you are also able to train cooking besides jeweller, allowing you to make your own food.

Quote Originally Posted by Frisco View Post
    Tinker controls 7 pieces of gear, has the best-selling top-tier outputs of any craft, can make hope tokens…
    Yep, and that’s 7 slots that all toons need to fill, not like [say] armoursmiths who craft gear that fills a similar number of slots but only for the three heavy armour wearing classes.

On my server, AH prices for guild crafted bracelets have been around 50G each, even the L80 earrings have been fetching a couple of Gs…

Both tailor [arguably cloaks aside, tho the draig ones are still way ahead] & armoursmith [tools aside] gear is pretty usefulness at this level cap to be honest, even before the instance cluster comes out, because the hytbold sets are already better than guild crafted stuff.

Levelling a jeweller is way easier than many of the other professions. It’s fairly trivially easy to farm enough nodes to get enough gems to process… in a different league to grinding out hundreds of useless pieces of gear, each of which takes up its own slot in your saddle bag, to level tailor or armoursmith.

To level reasonably quickly, for armour I’d probably go with:

30s & below – whatever;
    40s – Angmar Fem set or crit crafted/whatever;
    50s – Moria epic rewards plus a bit of whatever. I guess maybe crit crafted at L50;
    60s – Moria medallions barter gear
    70-75: Quest rewards
    75-85: Mix of quest rewards & L75 guild crafted [assuming that ROI instances won’t be run much]?
    85: Hytbold, instance rewards when they come out.

So crafted gear plays a very small part.

But for jewellery, especially if LLG dailies won’t be run much, I think it’s going to be well worth the effort to go with crit/guild crafted almost all of the way.

Old yeah ... I need to reply to this tho

Up til approx. when this thread begin I would have said Tinker is &&&& .. lol
    But,
    In the last year or even two, I have had alot of good luck and profit from tinkering

My 2 cents anyway

Some other advantages to Tinker:

-4 recipes are able to fill 7 slots. Compare this to an Armorer/Tailor, who needs 7 recipes to fill 7 slots. This means fewer drops and scrolls to hunt for.

-aside from new recipes, a Tinker does not have to make any purchases for their mats (unless you count AH). In a way, this makes them the exact opposite of a farmer/cook.

-just as leather drops from creatures, gemstones drop from humanoids. Many kinship players will have surplus gems that they can pass on to help advance your crafting xp.

-a tinker can customize a set of jewellery for a specific sub-stat, such as critical rating or block/parry/evade, without sacrificing armor rating.

I chose Tinker for my Champion, and I don't regret it.

I am a jeweller as well, and yes, the stuff which you make isn't all that good, but if you go through with it you can make some pretty good stuff, and with adding the optional ingredients you can get some nice jewellery. But it does take patience. The good thing is is that you can craft hope tokens (20 turbine points for a recipe) that you cannot get unless you buy them from the auction house (which can be expensive)