We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

Question So my Captain is 42

Hello my fellow game players and Ring-loving hobbits.

Just a general question from a Captain player (and quite idle, it's took 2 years for me to get to 42).

Where should I start looking for instance groups? What are some good dungeons or skirmishes where a Captain can gain some worthwhile accomplishments (traits are nice, gear is great)?

I'd like to finally focus on a couple of captain roles as well. I'm pretty much geared and traited to be a soft tank of sorts for when I duo with my lovely minstrel-playing wife and it's a great combo to take on small group content out in the world areas. But I feel my play-style currently would be ill suited in a 4-5 man encounter. The resources are great and I see where I should go for later levels. But I'd like to start playing more (now that things are less chaotic with work and I've earned my degree) and just wonder..

tl;dr
    What should my Captain be at the level 40-50 range?

Quote Originally Posted by Baernard View Post
    Hello my fellow game players and Ring-loving hobbits.

Just a general question from a Captain player (and quite idle, it's took 2 years for me to get to 42).

Where should I start looking for instance groups? What are some good dungeons or skirmishes where a Captain can gain some worthwhile accomplishments (traits are nice, gear is great)?

I'd like to finally focus on a couple of captain roles as well. I'm pretty much geared and traited to be a soft tank of sorts for when I duo with my lovely minstrel-playing wife and it's a great combo to take on small group content out in the world areas. But I feel my play-style currently would be ill suited in a 4-5 man encounter. The resources are great and I see where I should go for later levels. But I'd like to start playing more (now that things are less chaotic with work and I've earned my degree) and just wonder..

tl;dr
    What should my Captain be at the level 40-50 range?
    No hobbits here! This is the Captain forums.

Actually finding people for dungeons is difficult when you are mid level. This game's character population is generally pretty high level (or super low like for crafting alts).

You could always try the 3-man Halls of Night. It's actually pretty tough to duo while leveling, but you can likely grab a 3rd.

School and Library of Tham Mirdain are so great to run while leveling. Those open up at 50. Duoable, I'd say, but if you have trouble just grab a 3rd.

As in all 3-mans, you gotta basically pick one of the trinity for a role. I'd say tanking or healing in that order would be easier.
    You aren't likely to get a 6man group at your level, but generally you buff, mark up, heal, follow target assist.
    Last edited by Omen_Kaizer; Oct 03 2012 at 09:23 AM.
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/03202000000363f98/01003/signature.png]undefined[/charsig]
    Rechart, Warden
    [url="http://platemetaljacket.blogspot.com/"]Plate Metal Jacket[/url]

You'd be surprised what people are willing to run, sometimes. A lot of players have multiple alts and such, or else are willing to run their mains through under-level content for deeds or (especially) relics. So, feel free to ask around in your server's GLFF or even the local LFF channel for wherever you are.

Moria instances are especially popular for dropping a ton of relics that can be either combined or deconstructed for shards.

But, your best bet for finding groups not only at mid-level but even once you reach end game (which will happen, unlikely as it seems when you're level 42!) is to find a kinship.
    Cainwen Ciaphas, Captain of Crickhollow, HERO OF MIDDLE EARTH!!!
    I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed, or numbered! My opinions are my own!

ok, we can have ONE hobbit here... i guess.

"It says no Homers. We're allowed to have one"

at 42, you do not have a lot of options. in fact, i think continuing to dou with your wife would be the most fun for you, drawing conclusions from what you gave me to work with

if it took you two years to hit 42, itll take you longer than that to reach 85, at your current pace.

as for focusing on roles, your wife has the healing covered, so that really only leaves tanking and support. tanking is very viable at your level.

try scaling some content or focusing on skirmishes, as i find they are a bit more forgiving.

try Annuminas or scale the Great Barrows to lvl 40-42.

best bet for what you want: find a patient, noob-friendly kinship. they will hold your hand and walk you through your role.

good luck, have fun, and check back in with us!
    "I am always serious; I am never serious." -Me
    "I make the most outrageous and exaggerated statements of any man to ever live, has ever lived, or that will ever live." -Me

I'd also say focus on Skirmishes and Book quests as they provide a good bunch of exp, money and rewards. I leveled like that while being free player and I found it to be pleasing.

If she is focusing on the support/heal then for you being concentrated on yellow stuff is good too, don't forget to check if dhe could use something from your blue traits (things as Now for Wrath are always welcome if you have it already unlocked).
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/2b2250000000a1a9d/01008/signature.png]undefined[/charsig]

Well I'm hoping to devote more time to playing now. I plan on hitting 85 as soon as possible. (By the Christmas event? LoL Maybe 60ish by then?)

Skirmishes are a great deal of fun. I do a few of those a week so that'll be a good route. Was hoping I was at a level where we could start getting our group roles more in to play, but I can go support easily enough. I still feel tanky and have good traits / gear to do so.

I really appreciate the feedback.

At level 42, as said above, your choices are pretty slim, especially if you want some sort of reward... Fornost is the closest to your level, or scalable instances. Personally, I'd say continue on till 50ish, and then get into Carn Dum and Urugarth. These 2 instances have DOZENS of deeds to finish, some nice mechanics, your class quest items, and some gear thats better then the basic questing &&&&.

The cappies 3 roles are support, heals, and (off)tanking.

Support is the role the captain fits into the best when dealing with groups, some heals, damage buff, crit buff, +morale, etc. This is the role most captains will fit into the best and the role you should concentrate on learning.

Healing is your secondary role, a well-traited and geared captain can heal a lot of content, subbing in for a minnie, I wouldn't bring a captain to heal a raid by any means, but for things like Library/School, and maybe Urugarth (at level), they can do fairly well.

Tanking is the weakest of the captains roles. Sure, you can get (and hold) aggro on 1 mob very easily, the chances of you managing to hold aggro on 3 mobs with a champion going schwing-schwing is pretty much null. Again, for small fellow instances where you aren't surrounded by 10 mobs at a time, sure you could pull it off with a good fellow, but there just aren't enough AoE skills for the captain to reliably manage the threat.

By the time you reach cap and run 6 man instances for gear or what not, the only role you'll be looking at is the support role...

Quote Originally Posted by Kril View Post
    At level 42, as said above, your choices are pretty slim, especially if you want some sort of reward... Fornost is the closest to your level, or scalable instances. Personally, I'd say continue on till 50ish, and then get into Carn Dum and Urugarth. These 2 instances have DOZENS of deeds to finish, some nice mechanics, your class quest items, and some gear thats better then the basic questing &&&&.

The cappies 3 roles are support, heals, and (off)tanking.

Support is the role the captain fits into the best when dealing with groups, some heals, damage buff, crit buff, +morale, etc. This is the role most captains will fit into the best and the role you should concentrate on learning.

Healing is your secondary role, a well-traited and geared captain can heal a lot of content, subbing in for a minnie, I wouldn't bring a captain to heal a raid by any means, but for things like Library/School, and maybe Urugarth (at level), they can do fairly well.

Tanking is the weakest of the captains roles. Sure, you can get (and hold) aggro on 1 mob very easily, the chances of you managing to hold aggro on 3 mobs with a champion going schwing-schwing is pretty much null. Again, for small fellow instances where you aren't surrounded by 10 mobs at a time, sure you could pull it off with a good fellow, but there just aren't enough AoE skills for the captain to reliably manage the threat.

By the time you reach cap and run 6 man instances for gear or what not, the only role you'll be looking at is the support role...
    Support will be nice. I love how unique the Captain is as a class. I'm used to tanking or doing melee dps in other games, and I don't feel the captain will be overly great at these. I just plan on building crit and keeping my buffs strong. I guess I'm just happy I have the bulk of my abilities now.

Support will be nice. I love how unique the Captain is as a class. I'm used to tanking or doing melee dps in other games, and I don't feel the captain will be overly great at these. I just plan on building crit and keeping my buffs strong. I guess I'm just happy I have the bulk of my abilities now.
    Yes, the captain is a very unique class, not essential for group content, but very high in demand because of all the group utility they can bring. Although the captain DPS isn't great, they can greatly increase the overall DPS of the group, add additional heals, increase total morale pools, and the 2 in-combat rezzes, it just makes the captain one of the most sought after classes for tougher content.

As for cappy DPS, you'll find a few people in these forums that say their cappy does great DPS, I've had a captain since SoA, and even with decent/good gear on him, his DPS parse is the lowest of all the classes I play and takes a very long time to level and get through content in comparison to the other classes because of it, not as bad as an SoA guard or minstrel though (before overpower and warspeech).