We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

Thread: Tips for Weaver

Tips for Weaver

So can you give some tips for weaver class? I have just rolled a new weaver. Corruptions? Traits? Tacticts? I prefer to solo because I don't like raiding and my computer can't handle it.

Here is what I would recommend, but please note there are waves of better weavers than me ( see http://dailystats.theblackappendage.com/content/weaver )
    ...but for what its worth here are my thoughts.

Traits: Go for survivability, trait for the +10% health ones when you get them. I personally do not have the other +5% health ones. I prefer to go with 2 crit protection and 2 tactical mitigation.
    Race traits: Eight legged foe once you get it, born of shadow is a must, and use the last ones for increasing defense
    Class Traits: I'm not really sure. Right now I have improved tainted kiss, improved webs, ranged spider (yes..i know not many people use it)
    Skills: Get Catch prey as soon as you are able to, lie and wait is a must have (for me) as I play an ambush style weaver. I love web the earth skil, very handy

tactics: Stay on the edge of the battle. Especially as a low ranked spider you will die really easy. At low ranks try and stay in groups in order to gain infamy. Once you get some audacity and higher ranks, you will be able to do more daring things.

Random Tips:
    1)Use trees for cover if you are being attacked by a ranged class.
    2)If a burglar pops up behind you do not turn and run, rather web the earth (if you can) and back away or strafe sideways away.
    3) Debuff...I cannot stress the importance of debuffing enemies. I didn't do it for the longest time as a new weaver, I thought it would be a faster kill to just attack the target..i was wrong. Debuff the target. It will help your group alot more.
    4) Grouping with wargs is great (if you have lie and wait skill), because you can stun and slow unsuspecting targets and then let the wargs go for the kill.

For now as a new player, stick with this: Trait for survival, Group with DPS classes (weaver warg packs are really good), stay on the edge of the battle, root, stun and debuff when you can.....but also dont be afraid to experiment, find a balance that fits your playstyle.

I hope that helps some. Again, i am not nearly the spider that many others are so take my advice as you will.
    Cheers.

For corruption traits, I split between survivability and damage output. Health for Power 2 and Damage for Power 2 are always in my traitline. The others are usually Physical Mastery (x2) and Physical Mitigation (x2). Power consumption is a non-issue for me, especially when gaining max Audacity. Therefore, getting +10% health and +5% damage output are nice additions at minimal expense. Those other traits amplify my style of play, but other choices are there to experiment with.

For class traits starting out, I get Armour boost, Health boost, and Enhanced Tainted Kiss. These increase survivability and damage output. Later on, I added Clinging Webs (useful debuff) and Steelweave Webs (enhances web debuffs). Those were mainly to enhance my CC role. The last two slots are variable for me. I chose Strong Brood for the pet enhancement, that doubled as a personal Physical Mitigation boost for me. Finally, I round out with Swift Weave (slightly better execution time for web skills). As I rank up, I'll probably replace this one with an advanced trait.

Racial traits should be acquired as you unlock. Should become obvious which to trait, as they are each gated by a rank requirement. For example, I have 3 slots open, so I only have the 3 racials available to me slotted. However, you can bypass this by paying for the skills directly through the Turbine Store, in which case I'd see if like-minded Weaver can answer on which best racial traits to go with.

Overall, I can take a beating while I kite around effectively. We are heavily dependent on time, as our skills are generally about doing damage-over-time, and we have a buffs that take greater effect over time. All the while, we have to develop a rotation to maximize damage output enhanced by how many venom pips we have, which are generated by executing skills, one at a time. This is why I go for a balance survivability and damage build, and has been working for me decently enough. Just have to remember our limitations, and take priority in debuffing the enemy. Some debuffs work better on certain freeps than others, so know which to fire off. Also, learn proper pet management by familiarizing yourself with the pet skill bar. Set to passive and manually tell what target to attack when encountering a high enemy NPC engagement.

I'm not that high in rank, although I am 5th or 6th ranked on my server. Still, I learn more as I rank, so maybe other Weavers can get their insight here too. Good Luck.
    Last edited by Aztec_Soul; Oct 02 2012 at 07:03 AM.

LOL we had a good discussion on dwarrodelf just the other day about spider stuffs. I personally agree with bubbles. Our damage is over time so in order to stack it up we need to survive. ATM im running 4 morale corruptions, crit protection, and tact mitigation *getting a lot of minis, LM, and Rks as of late* and i notice that im not dying as fast. Race i only have 7 legged foe (a must have) and born of shadow. Class slots i have health boost, enhanced trapdoor (payed to win that woot!!) helps since i have not got aud yet, tainted kiss, armour boost, clinging webs (good for champs and such, not so much hunters or RKs) steelweave webs, and the last slot i change to either pet depending on the situation. Like i said there has been an increase of tact classes so ive been using the range pet (only slight issues, sometimes it says i cant command the pet for a second).

What bubbles said about tactics is spot on. Debuff, debuff, debuff!!!! it can save your life and the life of others. Personally i like to use paralytic venom and see the frustration of freeps getting dazed every 40s. In fights im always at the edge unless people are not pushing, then i can be found to the front *Don't do this unless you want to die!!* Lie in wait is my second favorite skill, you can go in front of the creep group and wait till the fight happens, or you can sneak behind and gank people. Grouping wise i never really grouped, the most groups i have been in were all weavers and we rolled everything!!! but having a dps class like a warg or a BA helps out alot.

Well there are my two cents (which probably are less in value xD) I am by far not the best weaver out there but i consider myself a decent one. Good luck and go munch on some hunter legs!
    Last edited by Nerglor; Oct 02 2012 at 11:18 AM. Reason: Im a nub

There are a few different types of "solo" that can change your tactics up a bit.

If you are going strait earned (meaning no purchased skills from the store), you are going to have a challenge up towards rank 7.

Key skills pre RoR:
    -Catch prey
    -Poison Spray
    -venomous haze
    -Web the Earth
    -paralytic Venom
    -Necrosis

With those...Against Melee (guards, Champs, Burgs, Wardens), Catch prey is one of your best advantages. Get it on them as quickly as possible and always try to face FRONT when kiting or moving. with catch prey at full you are potentially able to get 60% BPE without consumables. (70% with evade pots). Poison spray plays 2 rolls...melee crit debuff, and poison buffer for pots. Get that on quickly before throwing your needed poisons. and Web the earth to gain distance on your attacker if needed. Careful on burgs...Try to daze them early to get them to blow their find footing. Don't worry about guards and burgs hitting pledge or touch and go as they have no effect on a weaver's DPS skills. Always try to fire off your Entangling webs IF you can. get distance before doing so.

against Ranged/Tactical...These are tough as their DPS just tears through weavers. Runekeeers are where your venemous haze play a good part...get poison spray on them first...so daze, poison spray...then move 30m out and hit VH...KEEP THEM AT THAT DISTANCE AS MUCH AS POSSIBLE...get web the earth down and move around it so they stay in it as much as possible. get your Entangling off as well as your other debuffs...If they crit you a lot you are done...if you see their buffs go up..or if they hit Perfect Imagery(aoe daze) pot it and burrow...(you can choose to put catch prey on them to keep them in combat, or take it off and let them drop attunement but that can be dangerous cause they can heal).

LMs...entangling is your best friend...if they stun dot, use Entangling as the majority of their skills are inducted. also try to get venemous on them and move back but their burning embers has a slow on it which makes things tough.

Minstrel...Run....

more detail at the link provided above.
    [img]http://i390.photobucket.com/albums/oo341/rjeske_album/forumbanner_zpsf9b0a993.jpg[/img]
    Yicky(R13) Weaver - Now Brandywiner{LOTRO Player Council member}
    The Witch Kings Seventh Legion
    Bubblez - Defiler
    The Black Appendage of Sauron - Leader
    [url]www.theblackappendage.com/monstermanual[/url]

Quote Originally Posted by Delmore View Post
    against Ranged/Tactical...These are tough as their DPS just tears through weavers. Runekeeers are where your venemous haze play a good part...get poison spray on them first...so daze, poison spray...then move 30m out and hit VH...KEEP THEM AT THAT DISTANCE AS MUCH AS POSSIBLE...get web the earth down and move around it so they stay in it as much as possible. get your Entangling off as well as your other debuffs...If they crit you a lot you are done...if you see their buffs go up..or if they hit Perfect Imagery(aoe daze) pot it and burrow...(you can choose to put catch prey on them to keep them in combat, or take it off and let them drop attunement but that can be dangerous cause they can heal).

LMs...entangling is your best friend...if they stun dot, use Entangling as the majority of their skills are inducted. also try to get venemous on them and move back but their burning embers has a slow on it which makes things tough.
    ive tried this on RK many times, but they use thier -50% or -75% slow if traited. so watch for that ^^ As for LM you can pot some of thier debuffs/DoTs with a fear pot *this works on wizards fire, have not had the pleasure to try on other DoTs*

Quote Originally Posted by Delmore View Post
    With those...Against Melee (guards, Champs, Burgs, Wardens), Catch prey is one of your best advantages. Get it on them as quickly as possible and always try to face FRONT when kiting or moving. with catch prey at full you are potentially able to get 60% BPE without consumables. (70% with evade pots).
    Catch prey seems to drop for me a LOT when fighting burgs, is it the stuns?.. I'll fire it off and it will last for about 5 secs

Quote Originally Posted by Agost View Post
    Catch prey seems to drop for me a LOT when fighting burgs, is it the stuns?.. I'll fire it off and it will last for about 5 secs
    There is a minimum range requirement to keep this effect active. I think it's 20m, so if you fire it off on a freep, and the distance between you and that scum goes beyond 20m, the skill deactivates, and you have to wait for the CD to expire to try again. The trick is, to spit 'Catch Prey' on your melee target, and stick close to them, try to slow him/her down with your 'Web the Earth' if they are in fact targeting you to attack. If they try to run away, I either daze or root them, to both keep them in range, and to allow the rest of my group to get in for the kill.

I usually trait

CORRUPTIONS:
    HfP1 (Need morale to out last opponent while DoTs work)
    HfP2 (Need morale to out last opponent while DoTs work)
    HfD2 (Need morale to out last opponent while DoTs work)
    DfP2 (Power isnt a problem and this more than makes up for the damage loss from HfD2)
    Tact Mit 1*
    Tact Mit 2*

* = Sometimes I swap the 2 mits out for 2 masteries, but I generally think that staying alive with mits helps me do more damage than slotting extra masteries and dying. Weaver is all about staying alive while your dots work on them.

Thoughts on crit protection: I know some people like the crit protection masteries but I think it's a mistake to slot for crit protection. Good freeps have a 20%-25% base chance to crit/dev crit. On top of that many of them have skills that can crank their crit chance up to insane levels for short periods of time (or for certain skills). Check out a combat analysis log and you will notice freeps are critting like 50%-60% of the time on average. Stacking 2-3 crit protection masteries is only going to lower their crit chance by about 4%-5% at best. That wouldnt even be significant vs the base 20%-25% crit chance of most freeps and its just laughable vs the actual 50%-60% crit rate that freeps have when they use all their abilities to boost crit chance.

CLASS:
    Extra Armor (CREEP armor adds straight to phys and tact mits. VERY NICE)
    Extra Morale (Need morale to out last opponent while DoTs work)
    Enhanced Trapdoor Sanctuary (Full heal while burrowed! Use your OOC brand when you come up, web the earth, & run for it!!!)
    Enhanced Tainted Kiss (Must have for DPS)
    Strong Brood (Would rather use the ranged pet but since it wont actually attack... )
    Swift Weave (Mixed feeling on this but it's hard to get web skills off in combat without it)
    Steelweave Webs (When I use a web debuff or root I want it to last as long as possible)

Honorable mention: Enhanced piercing attack. I used to always slot this but then I realized I rarely actually use piercing attack vs players. I'm usually trying to kite and wear them down. That means I'm trying to stay out of melee range and rarely use piercing attack.

RACIAL:
    Eight Legged Foe (Extra move speed is pure win for a ranged kiting class. Never break your legs from a fall again.)
    Born of Shadow (Increased mits are key for survivability)
    Shelob's Gift (The heal from this trait is a thing of beauty in group fights)
    Enemies of the First Children (More crit chance and the increased phys mastery helps a bit with damage)
    Swallower of Light (For the tact mits)
    Last edited by Mystarr; Oct 04 2012 at 07:28 PM.
    Merridan - Burglar lvl 100 (Rank 12)
    Gormadan - Minstrel lvl 100 (Rank 4) : Traldan - Captain lvl 100 : Celebdan - Weaver (Rank 11)