We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 32
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Staten Island, NY, USA
    Posts
    251

    Are Crits useful for Captains?

    Recently I got the skill Tactic: Relentless Attack and had no idea what to do with it. What is the point of increasing Critical Rating? With a Burglar, I understand because it opens more times to use Burglar's Advantage and Double-edged Strike but why would Captain want to do more Criticals (or any class for that matter)?
    Glicyn, Man CPT; Drigrin, Hobbit BUR; Heli, Dwarf MIN; Eliyvan, Elf LM- Imladris
    Soldiers of Gondor - Kin

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Seattle, WA
    Posts
    3,730
    All the skills that open up on-defeat (Rallying Cry, War Cry, Routing Cry) open up on a crit on Devestating Blow or the 2nd attack of Pressing Attack.

    Yes, useful.
    Work like no one is watching, dance like you don't need the money...

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    4,084
    Very useful for all classes because more crits = more damage and more heals.

    Extremely useful for captains because a crit on Devastating Blow or Pressing Attack opens a defeat response.

    When you buff your fellowship you pretty much put parry on the tank and crit on everyone else unless they ask otherwise.
    [size=1][i]A spaceship from another star / They ask me where all the people are
    I tell them I'm the only one / There was a war, but I must have won[/i][/size]

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    England
    Posts
    678
    Crit is good for every class.

    On critical hits it greatly increases the damage the skill would normally do. Healers get increased heals, and any class gets increased damage if they crit. Anything works well with crit

  5. As previous posters have indicated, every class likes crits: bigger hits and bigger heals.

    Captains, like burgs, are a crit based class. Crits from our heavy hitters represent our biggest damage source and, as previous posters have indicated, give us ready access to defeat responses. If you have ever noticed a much needed rallying cry in the middle of a fight with a single boss, it is because you critted on devastating blow or pressing attack. Not a small thing
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0520a00000033326e/01008/signature.png]doronor[/charsig]

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    2,135
    Quote Originally Posted by Glicyn View Post
    Recently I got the skill Tactic: Relentless Attack and had no idea what to do with it. What is the point of increasing Critical Rating? With a Burglar, I understand because it opens more times to use Burglar's Advantage and Double-edged Strike but why would Captain want to do more Criticals (or any class for that matter)?
    Yeah like the other guys said, nailing a critical with your Devasting Blow or Pressing Attack gives you access to skills that would otherwise only be available to you after you kill something. So in that respect, it's very valuable. Also - particularly if you use a 2-hander and have some Devastate Magnitude enhancers - critical hits can increase your damage by a lot as Captain. It's also a big benefit to your heals - especially if you use the trait that gives you 50% extra critical heal magnitude. So all in all - Critical Rating is really good for Captains.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Staten Island, NY, USA
    Posts
    251
    Well, guess I will use Relentless Attack more often, I have been trying to finish the Deed Improved Routing Cry that is not easy when you only have 1 mob to fight, this should help. I never knew how those rare times I would get Routing Cry and the other two to activate while fighting the same mob.
    Glicyn, Man CPT; Drigrin, Hobbit BUR; Heli, Dwarf MIN; Eliyvan, Elf LM- Imladris
    Soldiers of Gondor - Kin

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    1,618
    Quote Originally Posted by Glicyn View Post
    Well, guess I will use Relentless Attack more often, I have been trying to finish the Deed Improved Routing Cry that is not easy when you only have 1 mob to fight, this should help. I never knew how those rare times I would get Routing Cry and the other two to activate while fighting the same mob.
    Here is some good news for you: For the deed Improved Routing Cry you do not actually need to hit any enemy with the cry.
    You can kill a signle mob and then use Routing Cry and it will still count towards the deed.
    (There is another deed, Turn of the Tide, that does require you to actually affect enemies with Routing Cry to have it count towards the deed, but that deed luckily only requires you to use the cry 250 times (as opposed to 750 times for Improved Routing Cry.))

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Staten Island, NY, USA
    Posts
    251
    Thanks for the assist but Improved Routing Cry does need a target, there have been plenty of times I kill a single mob, use it with no others nearby and it does nothing so I stopped using it after single mob kills, I have the Deed on my Quest tracker to watch for when it increases, there are a few mobs that it does not even work on so no increase there also.
    Glicyn, Man CPT; Drigrin, Hobbit BUR; Heli, Dwarf MIN; Eliyvan, Elf LM- Imladris
    Soldiers of Gondor - Kin

  10. #10
    Quote Originally Posted by Glicyn View Post
    Thanks for the assist but Improved Routing Cry does need a target, there have been plenty of times I kill a single mob, use it with no others nearby and it does nothing so I stopped using it after single mob kills, I have the Deed on my Quest tracker to watch for when it increases, there are a few mobs that it does not even work on so no increase there also.
    Do you mean "Improved Routing Cry" or are you confusing this with "Turn the Tide", both require use of Routing Cry, but turn the tide needs you to use it on the enemy and for the attack to land, while routing cry always use to not need to hit anything, not saying you're wrong, but its either a very recent change, or a bug.
    “All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us.”

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Staten Island, NY, USA
    Posts
    251
    Improved Routing Cry, I have the Deed on my tracker so I can always know when it goes up, there have been many times when I finish a mob if I use Routing Cry, the Deed does not increase.

    And certain mobs I fought even if it should have worked it did not go up. Now I cannot remember what but they were in a starting area and were some kind of animal.

    I just wish I knew what I could do with Strong Voice and Fear No Darkness sooner, I would have finished them a while and several levels ago.
    Glicyn, Man CPT; Drigrin, Hobbit BUR; Heli, Dwarf MIN; Eliyvan, Elf LM- Imladris
    Soldiers of Gondor - Kin

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Philadelphia
    Posts
    714
    attack deeds don't work on grey mobs, unfortunately

  13. #13
    Critical hits are so important for Captains that I've decided to prioritize maxing out my critical rating before my outgoing healing at the next level cap.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    1,951
    Actually, I've been revamping mine with the same idea in mind. Critical Rating before all else, along with Agility (for more critical rating) and Will (Power). After that, Vitality and Might.

    R.I.P NIDOR of Brandywine Server(1970-2012)

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Mississippi
    Posts
    1,477
    Quote Originally Posted by Tiamo View Post
    Actually, I've been revamping mine with the same idea in mind. Critical Rating before all else, along with Agility (for more critical rating) and Will (Power). After that, Vitality and Might.
    I can't say nothin' bad against stacking crit. But brother, let me point you toward some literature that does not back up the stacking of Will for power. You get 68 Power from one item level 66 dose of will for every equivalent dose of 94 raw Power. From a minmaxing standpoint, there is no good reason for a captain to pick up will, except for maybe on the attack duration runes that will be replaced soon enough in RoR.

    Please, new Captains, do not hamstring yourself by stacking Will. Skjald, send me a tell in game if you want more insight.
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/03202000000363f98/01003/signature.png]undefined[/charsig]
    Rechart, Warden
    [url="http://platemetaljacket.blogspot.com/"]Plate Metal Jacket[/url]

  16. #16
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Seattle, WA
    Posts
    7,628
    Quote Originally Posted by Tiamo View Post
    Actually, I've been revamping mine with the same idea in mind. Critical Rating before all else, along with Agility (for more critical rating) and Will (Power). After that, Vitality and Might.
    Absolutely no point for will stacking now - we don't draw tactical mastery, outgoing healing, or tactical damage from it. All of that tactical and healing stuff is now drawn from might.

    And because of the itemization side of things, also no reason to stack fate.
    A) Enough might/fate gear doesn't exist, and will likely be even rarer in RoR.
    B) You gimp your tactical and physical mastery ratings. With over 2.3k might, I'm sitting at 100% melee damage and ~47/48% outgoing healing without a banner. That's impossible to achieve by fate stacking - and anyone who tells you otherwise is lying.
    Maley Oakensage, Captain of Elendilmir

    Alas Elendilmir, may you *jingle jangle* forever in the Forgotten West

  17. #17
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    1,864
    Quote Originally Posted by Almagnus1 View Post
    And because of the itemization side of things, also no reason to stack fate.
    A) Enough might/fate gear doesn't exist, and will likely be even rarer in RoR.
    B) You gimp your tactical and physical mastery ratings. With over 2.3k might, I'm sitting at 100% melee damage and ~47/48% outgoing healing without a banner. That's impossible to achieve by fate stacking - and anyone who tells you otherwise is lying.
    Agreed, stacking fate is not a good idea - and I'm not sure who'd ever suggest that?
    However, it is IMO worth to get some fate as long as you're not gimping other stats while doing it. As long as you're below 400 fate, each point of fate is ~1 icpr, ~2 crit, ~1icmr and a bit of tactical critical multiplier (http://forums.lotro.com/showthread.p...rit-multiplier ).

    So if you're going for healing and e.g. get to choose between an item with 134 might and 34 fate and an item with 134 might and 34 agi/vit, I would not just rule out the item with fate.

    When it comes to stacking, I see it as a matter of balancing might, crit and morale. I wouldn't go for 2300+ might if I'm not able to have at least 20% critical chance to ensure some defeat events from DB/PA. However, when you go beyond 20% crit it tends to have dimishing returns and become very costly on might and/or morale.

  18. #18
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    1,951
    I usually think of Will as a bonus. As I say, it's not for any Tactical benefit, it's strictly for Power. If you can get that Power from another source, even better. I just find that my Captains tend to be out of Power in a matter of seconds, so I try to build with that in mind.

    Here's a question. Does Physical Mastery do anything for critical chances?

    R.I.P NIDOR of Brandywine Server(1970-2012)

  19. #19
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    4,084
    No, PM has nothing to do with crit chance
    [size=1][i]A spaceship from another star / They ask me where all the people are
    I tell them I'm the only one / There was a war, but I must have won[/i][/size]

  20. #20
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Seattle, WA
    Posts
    7,628
    Quote Originally Posted by Elrantiri View Post
    So if you're going for healing and e.g. get to choose between an item with 134 might and 34 fate and an item with 134 might and 34 agi/vit, I would not just rule out the item with fate.
    AFAIK, might/fate items don't exist outside of the Menestaid set, so it's grabbing fate for fate's sake.
    Maley Oakensage, Captain of Elendilmir

    Alas Elendilmir, may you *jingle jangle* forever in the Forgotten West

  21. #21
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Southern USA
    Posts
    378
    Quote Originally Posted by Elrantiri View Post
    Agreed, stacking fate is not a good idea - and I'm not sure who'd ever suggest that?
    However, it is IMO worth to get some fate as long as you're not gimping other stats while doing it. As long as you're below 400 fate, each point of fate is ~1 icpr, ~2 crit, ~1icmr and a bit of tactical critical multiplier (http://forums.lotro.com/showthread.p...rit-multiplier ).

    So if you're going for healing and e.g. get to choose between an item with 134 might and 34 fate and an item with 134 might and 34 agi/vit, I would not just rule out the item with fate.

    When it comes to stacking, I see it as a matter of balancing might, crit and morale. I wouldn't go for 2300+ might if I'm not able to have at least 20% critical chance to ensure some defeat events from DB/PA. However, when you go beyond 20% crit it tends to have dimishing returns and become very costly on might and/or morale.
    I agree. I wouldn't worry about fate or will on your captain. With Song Brother and Blade Brother later on we should have no problems maintaining power in a fight. When it an soloing my power really never goes down from max and I have nothing adding to fate and will.

    As for Might I keep it at 2065, Agility at 549 and Vitality at 803. It seems to work well for me in all instances. Even when soloing School at Tham Mirdain at level 75 including all 3 bosses but not saving the books. I never run out of power in there or have health issues. I have made an effort to focus more on damage reductions, good crits.
    [url=http://my.lotro.com/character/windfola/Ellandor][charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0720600000000c4fc/01002/signature.png]Ellandor[/charsig][/url]
    [url=http://dawningeclipse.shivtr.com]Dawning Eclipse[/url]
    “I can avoid being seen if I wish, but to disappear entirely, that is a rare gift.”

  22. #22
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    1,951
    Well, after revamping with Critical Rating in mind, let me say it's like night and day. Suddenly I have actual DAMAGE output, and the ability to heal myself with Rallying Cry.

    I think it's safe to say, crits are... critical to Captains.

    R.I.P NIDOR of Brandywine Server(1970-2012)

  23. #23
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Seattle, WA
    Posts
    7,628
    Quote Originally Posted by Tiamo View Post
    I think it's safe to say, crits are... critical to Captains.
    **throws two drums and a cymbal down the stairs**
    Maley Oakensage, Captain of Elendilmir

    Alas Elendilmir, may you *jingle jangle* forever in the Forgotten West

  24. #24
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    174
    Quote Originally Posted by Tiamo View Post
    Well, after revamping with Critical Rating in mind, let me say it's like night and day. Suddenly I have actual DAMAGE output, and the ability to heal myself with Rallying Cry.

    I think it's safe to say, crits are... critical to Captains.
    Can you elaborate on what specific gear choices you made to increase your crit rating?

  25. #25
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Seattle, WA
    Posts
    7,628
    Quote Originally Posted by joeblow8579 View Post
    Can you elaborate on what specific gear choices you made to increase your crit rating?
    Going with the Exemplars/Victors LLG jewelry sets and ToO armor, the crit rating primarily comes from the other slots and the Exemplar's pocket.

    And also the relics.
    Maley Oakensage, Captain of Elendilmir

    Alas Elendilmir, may you *jingle jangle* forever in the Forgotten West

 

 
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

This form's session has expired. You need to reload the page.

Reload