We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

Content past Mordor

Will there be expansions after the ring is destroyed ?

Are they allowed to build on the story ?

Maybe they will try to expand on South Farthing or maybe just tweak the game for a while and then maybe be like *durrrrrrrr* and then realize no one is playing no more and stops advancing the game :P
    Owner of the (imaginary)Canadian Zeds kinship on Crickhollow and member of the Brotherhood of the Wolves, also on Crickhollow.

May Chauncy, the brave RK-tank rest in peace in the West.

they could always do the first and second age...

Quote Originally Posted by Tinuryane View Post
    Maybe they will try to expand on South Farthing or maybe just tweak the game for a while and then maybe be like *durrrrrrrr* and then realize no one is playing no more and stops advancing the game :P
    Not just that, but maybe they could expand into the far north and south of Morder.
    [CENTER][B][SIZE=3][FONT=garamond]Help me build my [URL="http://bit.ly/1gxLZ76"][COLOR=#ff8c00]LOTRO Performance Reference Guide[/COLOR][/URL]!
    Link for [URL="http://bit.ly/1gmjTKV"][COLOR=#999999]Mac users[/COLOR][/URL]

[/FONT][/SIZE][/B][/CENTER]

Its a source of amazement to me that Turbine comes up with quality expansions on the smell of an oily rag, when other heavilly subscribed to start up games like SWTOR look to be struggling to get to a 2nd expansion, I hope they get a big boost out of the Hobbit movies and continue the quality interpretation of middle earth to Mordor and beyond.

You may or may not find this interesting - but i did: JRR Tolkien wrote about 30 pages of a sequel to LOTRO set in the 4th age about a 100 years after the fall of Mordor and the end of the war of the rings, It was just a little sketch about a man who had fought in the war of the rings with Faramir and the younger generation of the men of Gondor who grew up in the "Peace of the King" - these youngsters (1 youngster in paticular) kind of doubted that the events in LOTR actually happened (or at least doubted that they were as epic and nessicary as the oldtimers tales) and actually played Orcs and Elfs as children (like modern children play coyboys and indians I suppose) and even started Orc cults...

Thats about as far as the tale went before the professor abandoned the idea and never wrote another word (as far as we know at the present) about Middle-earth beyond the war of the rings and the fall of mordor.

He claimed that there wer "no tales left" worthy of the stlye of fantasy he wrote and any further tales would be too mundane and "thriller" like and in short: "Not worth doing".

I dont know what Turbines (or WB's ) plans are for LOTRO - but there seems to ba a push to at least get to the gates of Mordor with-in the next few years (I have heard that the License to the IP runs out in 2017 - but have also heard that this is just a matter of re-uping the rights for another X amount of years) So will LOTRO still be going Strong in 5 years? Certainly its going strong right now inspite of all the doomsayers and haters - surely the Hobbit movie will give LOTRO a boost during the next 3 or so years - unless there is a secert Hobbit MMO that WB is developing. So i can see another 3 to 4 years of enough interest in this game to be profitable...

If they continue like they have with about 1 xpac (whether they are finsished or not) a year (and if the general thought about how the xpacs will fall is correct) then we will get:

Rohan part 1 in 2012 (1st hobbit movie)
    Rohan part 2 in 2013 (2nd hobbit movie)
    Gondor part 1 in 2014 (3rd hobbit movie)
    Gondor part 2 in 2015 (extended DVD hobbit movies)
    Gates of Mordor in 2016 ( Total Tolkien Saturation)

IP license runs out in 2017 - ???? I would love for them to put out the mother of all xpacs and release an epic Lands of Mordor expansion with raids on Baradur (spelling?) and Shelob and Mt Doom - but many people seem to think we will not have MMO action beyong the Black Gates... They are prolly right ;(

I think its very unlikely to advance beyond this point - we might get a year or two of milege out of mopping up mordor, rebuilding the shire or fleshing out some areas like the south farthings (maybe N. Mirk?) in little updates - but in 2017 this game engine will be very old and outdated and surely new technology will be out that will make these older MMOs look ancient (just a guess here but probably correct after all the game will be what? 10 -12 years old in 2017?) and the holy-trinity stlye of gameplay and roles are fading in popularity... And I think the Market appeal will be about played out for Tolkien once The Hobbit movies are done as most non-Tolkien fans are not going to be as interested in the tales in the Silmarillion as they are LOTR and The Hobbit - because... There's no hobbits in them!!

I hope the Turbine can pursuade WB's to end the game with dignity when it is time and not let it drag on and lose its grandure with a bunch of jump the shark antics to keep it alive - The IP deserves that amount of respect.

So Mordor or bust and then its time to find another MMO.... Like LOTRO2 or The Hobbit MMO - LOL

Quote Originally Posted by Andunion View Post
    they could always do the first and second age...
    unfortunately no - licensing

I think that the perfect ending to Lotro would be Frodo & Co. leaving M-E, making the Grey Havens the last new region. Anything beyond that would be stretching it too far, IMO

If you look on the map of Rhovannion they have a bunch of grayed out areas of places like Rhun and the Wilderlands, and there is even one up in North Mirkwood among others. Wonder if they plan on making all these?

Personally I am hoping we get to witness kind of the rebuilding of Middle Earth. In the Appendixes, Tolkien says that the Dwarves reclaim Khazad Dum, we could get a raid out of that, facing some final evil fled from Mordor. Perhaps we could also get a raid out of the Fall of Dol Guldur, and witness Galadriel throw down the walls of the fortress after a huge battle. And Turbine did add Wilderland in the new Rhovanian map, maybe a raid/instance at the Battle of Dale? I am also hoping for the Scouring of the Shire, where we can end our unfinished business with that treacherous wizard. As much as I would like to see the First and Second Age, there is a licensing issue there, at least for the First Age. Perhaps we could get some session play or something to let us see the War of the Last Alliance or something like that. Personally, if possible which I know it isn't, I would like my Elven LM to be able to board the ship in the Grey Havens with Gandalf and sail away to Valinor, as a reward for his consummate defense of Middle Earth

A part of me would say a fitting end to all us "lorebreakers" for we all break the lore a little bit by our presence in the story would be destruction in the fall of Barad Dur, possibly in the "throne" room of Sauron in the ultimate raid, our part in the story would thus never be revealed. Another part of me wishes that my human burglar could stowe away on the above mentioned last ship just to annoy all those who are about to suggest that such a thing wont be possible.

I think Harad and especially Umbar are good candidates for new content after Sauron falls and the Fourth Age starts. I believe it was mentioned that Aragorn finally defeated Umbar and brought the city back to the United Kingdom. Also, Fornost and Annuminas were resettled, so there will be a lot of cleaning house to do in the north as well (not difficult to create with Fornost, since it is an instance). The main problem is, it depends how far the license goes. If it doesn't include the appendices to LOTR, then Turbine cannot do anything about it. It can cover Dale and Erebor though, as there was a specific reference in LOTR about battles in the north, and I hope Turbine eventually does that.

And of course, I'd love to see First and Second Age recreated, but unfortunately it doesn't seem to be possible, since the Tolkien family is apparently regretting it gave a license for LOTR to the entertainment industry in the first place.

I think the only way justifying us going into Barad Dur would be if we were on a secret and desperate mission from Aragorn, and as we reach Sauron's throne room, we fight him and facing imminent defeat, are saved when Frodo casts the ring into Mount Doom. Or, Sauron could tire of toying with us as the Host of the West arrives at the Black Gates, and instantly defeats everyone. The mission could be considered somewhat of a success as we would have defeated his greatest lieutenants, and we could return to aid with the Battle of the Morannon. Maybe a little lore streching, but if we cant fight and defeat Saruman atop Orthanc, what can't we do? Ride into Mordor on our giant flamingo steeds, kill every orc with a look, and cheer Frodo on as he contemplates throwing the Ring into the fire?