We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

Thread: Traits, etc

Traits, etc

Back into the game after a couple of years. Wondering about trait builds for cappys. Also, where is everyone going for info, strats, builds, weapon and armor recommendations for cappys now-a-days.... all the ones I used to use seem to be toast. Thanks in advance.
    Beware of inspirations that rise...
    ... on the vapors of your second martini

Searching this forum.

There are quite a few viable trait lines for Captains.

Heavy yellow of course if you tank.
    5red/2b for soloing or just DPS (the blues are Now for Wrath and Relentless Optimism)
    I used to run 4r/2b/1y to get a 30-second To Arms (with legacy)
    Fellowship Brother is pretty much required, but other than that all our capstones have their place
    [size=1][i]A spaceship from another star / They ask me where all the people are
    I tell them I'm the only one / There was a war, but I must have won[/i][/size]

For current raiding a 'rainbow' build is most common these days.

can't remember the names, but I usually go with

3 blue - morale banner, heals crit multiplier and power restore
    2 yellow - extra 5 secd to arms duration, and whatever else you fancy (2 yellow is mainly for instant mark switching so the second trait is down to playstyle/raid need really)
    2 red - i always go with +1500 crit rating to dev strike and pressing attack and -5 sec shout cooldown (more dps and more chance to crit = more healing/buffing)

The rest is pretty situational. Captain can do respectable healing and DPS these days so just tailor it towards what your group needs/is lacking.
    Oryette

Quote Originally Posted by Gravitystorm View Post
    Back into the game after a couple of years. Wondering about trait builds for cappys. Also, where is everyone going for info, strats, builds, weapon and armor recommendations for cappys now-a-days.... all the ones I used to use seem to be toast. Thanks in advance.
    For builds, this is a lengthy discussion. For raiding I hardly ever go any traitline. I usually go 4 red/2 yellow/1 blue, but sometimes I mix up the red and blue a bit. The legendaries I slot are fellowship brother/idome/oathies. I never go traitline in a raid. Sometimes I use shield of dunedain (sp), and I will choose this over a HoH traitline. For 6 man's we can tank, main heal, be DPS. I almost always go traitline in a 6 man. I love tanking RoF and Foundry, but good luck holding aggro with a hunter/champ with a first ager. It gets messy at times even with noble mark.

I hate the fact that the best raiding gear is moors gear. Three piece perserverance set will give you 6 second rallying cry. This is a must for trash pulls in ToO or many 6 man runs. The other set which I am too lazy to get is the 5 piece moors set which gives +5% damage with sure strike, also adds +5% to telling mark for 10% total extra damage. Problem is a good captain needs many sets of armour. I have all of the draigoch gear and all three sets from ToO. I think captains should have an extra bag for gear.

Weapon is two handed greatsword or halberd. I gave up on sword and board awhile ago. A shield would have to have pretty special stats for me to consider giving up a two hander.

The biggest problem with giving you specific goals right now is that we have an expansion only a few weeks away. Just level up, save all your relics, and grind out some virtues to 14 plus. Zeal, Valour, tolerance, fidelity, innocence, compassion, discipline are all pretty useful. However, you never know what end game content will be. We might have to have great resist in new content which would make something like charity a must.

Captains can perform their main function with a variety of traits. As long as you hit the high points, it doesn't really matter.

Fellowship Brother, Now for Wrath, Relentless Optimism are always must have traits to me (unless main tanking)
    Unless I'm 5r/2b, I have Tactical Prowess (yellow) too

Common builds are:
    - Rainbow (either 3b/2y/2r, 4b/2y/1r, or 5b/2y no capstone); I use 4b/2y/1r for Moors raids and attempting T2 Saruman
    - MoW (5r/2b with capstone): This is what I use in intances, T1 raids, occasionally T2 Lightning and Shadow bosses, T2 F&F non challenge always.
    - HoH (5b/2whatever); I use this for main healing some content (5r/2b if it's my kinmates I'm healing) and T2 Lightning, Acid, and Shadow trash

I actually use 5r/2y + FB, MoW, Oathies for Acid T2C zerg (since for me, MoW > IDOME in total DPS contribution)

Quote Originally Posted by commanderjerkface View Post
    The rest is pretty situational. Captain can do respectable healing and DPS these days so just tailor it towards what your group needs/is lacking.
    Most important statement of this thread, IMO. Besides saying Fellowship Brother is the #1 always always must-have trait.
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/03202000000363f98/01003/signature.png]undefined[/charsig]
    Rechart, Warden
    [url="http://platemetaljacket.blogspot.com/"]Plate Metal Jacket[/url]

For Moors I solo 5r 1b 1y (Strength from Within and Composure), IDoME, MoW, and Oathies/Sotd (I only use SotD if I know I'm gonna 1v1 someone who goes after my herald, and it's not a waste since I don't use Oathies in 1v1s)

For main healing six mans I roll with seven blue traits, Fellow Brother, HoH, and SotD

For raids I generally go 5b2y. Those last two yellows are Tactical Prowess and Defiance. I don't trait red for tier 2 Orthanc DPS races because the group I do them with doesn't even come close to lacking DPS, plus I spend too much time buffing or healing to DPS effectively. Legendary traits are HoH, Fellow-brother, and Oathies. Sometimes I swap out SotD for Fellow-brother in the trash pulls if the raid leader wants me to shield bro the tank, but this only ever happens in pugs.

For healing in the Moors I go 5b2y (Tactical Prowess and Defiance, though replacing either with Composure is reasonable as well), HoH, SotD, and Oathies. Those War-leaders don't look so tough with blue ghosties swirling around them, and SotD is crucial for protecting your allies who are getting focus-fired.

As for questing, I like to either mimic my Moors build or trait 5b2r, because sometimes it's fun to spam heal yourself while fighting seven mobs.
    Last edited by GeorgeBaggy; Sep 24 2012 at 02:39 PM.