We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

Thread: Virtues

Virtues

Ok so I was out of game for a long time then when I returned I saw my Min, did facepalm, cried a little and left her alone.

I am finally ready to start relearning the class. She is only 65 and I haven't done any content past Moria/Mirkwood yet. So if that matters, ya it probably doesn't...

Anyway...

I play my Min as a healer. Thats why I chose the class. I don't go to the Moors, so please keep in mind I look to gear, stat etc for full out heals. (ok, when I level I may dps but thats only for leveling and I do level with other people so I don't need to worry about soloing) GOD I need to stay on track!!

So...I was looking at the virtues, scratching my head wondering why they changed them but sadly it doesn't matter fact is they did.

As I was reading over the virtues (sorry I'm a bit lost on the tactical/physical mitigation still) but I wondered why it is that I see so many Mins saying they slot Valour and I don't get why. I have been looking for as much as I can that power based. I went on 2 runs to give my Min a shot and try and learn the new um.. set up and I felt like I was running out of power way faster then I ever remember.

So I was looking at Confidence, Wisdom, Fidelity, Honesty and Patience.

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
    Nothing to see here...

Hey there, lots of changes have come along that I think you'll like! The devs solved our power problems by giving us the anthem of composure + coda rotation while healing. This will restore a LOT of power and you can keep rotating it so often you'll never need to think about power. As for minis using zeal + valour, it's just to increase our morale so we'll be less 'squishy'. At this point in RoI, many minis are geared out and at the healing cap of 50%. Next logical thing to do is increase suvivability. A cloak like Saarchol and some of the tactical mit virtues will get you to the 40% mitigation cap (easily during a raid/instance with a cappy, LM and scrolls etc). Ok so now you're at capped healing, capped mits... now what? Slot valour and zeal and get a bigger morale number! All of a sudden your mini is a rough tough healing machine and your group will love you

For what it's worth, I slot: Zeal, valour, loyalty, fidelity and honour. I'm in a nice comfy spot with capped heals, capped mits and 10.5k morale when raid buffed. It feels pretty awesome. Try out that anthem + coda rotation and I think you'll find mini has become VERY fun since the RoI updates

Thank you so much for the reply.

Please forgive me for what I'm about to ask but...what do you mean by coda rotation?

I suppose I could say I used to have my skills set up in a rotation of sorts (tired buffs etc) I am assuming thats what you mean, but well, I shouldn't assume.
    Last edited by Agron5; Sep 24 2012 at 03:15 PM.
    Nothing to see here...

Quote Originally Posted by Agron5 View Post
    Thank you so much for the reply.

Please forgive me for what I'm about to ask but...what do you mean by coda rotation?

I suppose I could say I used to have my skills set up in a rotation of sorts (tired biffs etc) I am assuming thats what you mean, but well, I shouldn't assume.
    Exactly right. After using 3 ballads you have the choice of using anthems. One of the nice new additions to minis is that our Anthem of Composure will return a lot of power to us if we hit our coda skill while the anthem is active. So hitting 3 ballads, doing some heals, then popping anthem of composure followed by the coda will become a "rotation" cycle while healing groups.

Each anthem actually has a cool effect on our coda. You can practice on a training dummy and tier up your ballads, play an anthem, then mouse over your coda and see what the new effect is. Also warspeech and harmony change our anthem and coda effects too so check those out. It's a lot to learn... but it definitely adds some excitement if you had been playing with the old system for a long time

Quote Originally Posted by Agron5 View Post
    ...what do you mean by coda rotation?

I suppose I could say I used to have my skills set up in a rotation of sorts (tired biffs etc) I am assuming that's what you mean, but well, I shouldn't assume.
    The Minstrel class received a complete redesign (was it last year?). You no longer have a selection of tier 1, 2, and 3 ballads that deal damage and their buffs stay up for 5 seconds (or whatever they used to) or until you hit an Anthem, whichever came first.

There are now only 3 ballads: Major, Minor, and Perfect. Depending on which stance you are in (War-speech, Harmony[new stance], or Melody[no stance]) these ballads will either deal damage or heal, and will buff either your damage output, power conservation, or healing output.

Ballads remain up as long as you remain in combat now. So if you want, you can play just 3 ballads, and then not have to play another ballad throughout the fight. Three active ballads will open up your Anthems (and Coda* this is a new skill)

We have more Anthems than we used to because all the old ballad buffs have been made into Anthems. After you've played 3 ballads, you can buff the group with an Anthem. When your Anthem timer runs out, you can play another Anthem WITHOUT HAVING TO RE-CAST YOUR BALLADS. Anthems are pure buffs now. They don't do any damage anymore. Anthems are still on a timer (ballads are not).

With 3 active ballads, you also have the option to use your new skill: Coda. This skill does different things depending on what stance you're in. For example, if you're in Melody (no stance) then it will cast an instant heal, roughly equivalent to a bolster courage. ONCE YOU CAST A CODA, IT WIPES ALL BALLADS AND ANTHEMS. The really cool thing about a Coda is that it is altered based on which Anthems you have active when you cast it.

For example: If you are in Melody stance (no stance) and you have Anthem of Compassion active (i.e. the timer hasn't run out yet) and then you cast a Coda, not only will you cast a heal, but AoC will alter the Coda to give you a Power Over Time effect as well. Every Anthem will alter the Coda in a different way.

Make sure you read all the new tooltips for your skills. I would also recommend reading the Minstrel Dev Diary about the changes. And obviously just play around with your mini for awhile in the landscape or in low-level skirmishes.

We can do some pretty cool things now. One thing in particular is that we are very good at healing even when we have to move a lot. If you're in Melody stance (no stance) you can cast 3 Major Ballads while moving. Each ballad is a small full fellowship heal. Then hit Anthem of the Free Peoples for full fellowship ICMR. Before the anthem expires, cast a healing Coda on the tank (or whoever needs a larger heal). The AotFP will alter the Coda to give the caster (YOU) a heal over time as well. So you've just healed 1,000's of points of morale on everyone without ever standing still.

It sounds very confusing at first, but once you play around in game, it will start to make sense.
    Last edited by Frieja; Sep 24 2012 at 12:32 PM. Reason: Added link
    [CENTER][SIZE=1]MINSTREL and member of the vocal minority[/SIZE][/CENTER]

Thank you SO much. Yes it still sounds confusing but at least I can see a starting point and practice from there.

Thank you all!!
    Nothing to see here...

Quote Originally Posted by DarthMobius View Post
    One of the nice new additions to minis is that our Anthem of Composure will return a lot of power to us if we hit our coda skill while the anthem is active.
    Just to clarify a bit on the "active" part:
    It does not mean that the anthem buff is still running but that you played that anthem at least once since your last coda. If you hit the coda then you still get the coda effect from the specific anthems you played since the last coda.

I am not sure what all wipes the recently played anthems besides the coda and logging out but currently being out of combat does not reset it i.e. it is not difficult to get quite a couple of coda effects based on different anthems within a single coda cast.
    Changing stance might cause a wipe as well but stance dancing is not something you do that often anyway unless it is easier group content.

If you want to see the changes to minstrel you can use The Visual Guide. A little out of date with the changes made since then, but a priceless gem for those trying to figure out the changes in RoI.
    Last edited by drfacts; Sep 25 2012 at 08:08 AM.
    [CENTER][COLOR=#00ff00]R6[/COLOR]-MIN Roscaron - [COLOR=#ffd700]Aragorn's Allies[/COLOR] - Officer
    [COLOR=#ff0000]R6[/COLOR]-DEF [COLOR=#ff0000]R6[/COLOR]-WRG [COLOR=#ff0000]R5[/COLOR]-BA [COLOR=#ff0000]R6[/COLOR]-WL [COLOR=#ff0000]R5[/COLOR]-RVR [COLOR=#ff0000]R5[/COLOR]-WVR - {Dead,Red,Bow,Boss,Blade,Web} meat
    [/CENTER]

Quote Originally Posted by Frieja View Post
    With 3 active ballads, you also have the option to use your new skill: Coda. This skill does different things depending on what stance you're in. For example, if you're in Melody (no stance) then it will cast an instant heal, roughly equivalent to a bolster courage. ONCE YOU CAST A CODA, IT WIPES ALL BALLADS AND ANTHEMS. The really cool thing about a Coda is that it is altered based on which Anthems you have active when you cast it.
    Just to add to this in case the OP doesn't know, even though using a Coda wipes your own Anthems and Ballads, it does not wipe the Anthems on your fellowship. So there's no need to hesitate using a Coda, it only affects yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by Rhaphael View Post
    Just to add to this in case the OP doesn't know, even though using a Coda wipes your own Anthems and Ballads, it does not wipe the Anthems on your fellowship. So there's no need to hesitate using a Coda, it only affects yourself.
    Ohh this is handy to know. I am always hesitant when using Coda because of removing the Anthems, now I know the fellowship keep them I can use Coda a lot more often
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/2022400000012a8a1/01003/signature.png]undefined[/charsig]