We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Results 51 to 75 of 83
  1. #51
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    United States (PST)
    Posts
    34
    The event to which I was referring does not occur during the War of the Ring.

    I feel a bit bad since these are good answers, and I probably should have thought this through a bit more thoroughly. I believe if I change the wording slightly, the riddle is better:

    Soon will come your end,
    Although the future may change.
    Choose not hopeful paths.

    The second line should be interpreted as a "this will definitely happen, unless something specific happens" event, as opposed to general uncertainty. This excludes bringing the Ring to Mount Doom as it was theoretically possible to defeat Sauron without destroying the ring (e.g., allowing Aragorn to wield it), though no options were particularly tasteful. Also, it was theoretically possible (though highly, highly unlikely) for the armies of Men to defeat Sauron at the Black Gate.

    Hopefully this is now sufficiently exclusive, and I apologise profusely for the inordinate number of false positives.
    Last edited by Canus; Jan 16 2013 at 04:28 PM.

  2. #52
    Quote Originally Posted by Canus View Post
    Soon will come your end,
    Although the future may change.
    Choose not hopeful paths.
    Well when you put it that way, for some reason it brings to mind Maedhros and Maglor debating what to do immediately after the War of Wrath when they decide to steal the Silmarils from Eonwe.

  3. #53
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Land of Entrapment (come on vacation, leave on probation)
    Posts
    347
    Quote Originally Posted by Itharas View Post
    Well when you put it that way, for some reason it brings to mind Maedhros and Maglor debating what to do immediately after the War of Wrath when they decide to steal the Silmarils from Eonwe.
    I'm more in doubt than before but I thought of Samwise looking in the mirror of Galadriel and seeing destruction in the Shire and wanting to go home. Galadriel told him that what is seen may not come to pass unless the viewer turns from his course to try and prevent it.
    If the war of the ring began w/ the battle on the Pelenor Fields then it was before that Samwise looked in the mirror and it was after the conclusion that the hobbits returned to set things to right.

  4. #54
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    United States (PST)
    Posts
    34
    Go Duathrandir.

    Sorry for the huge delay, but between work, illness and a death in the family, this really has not been my month.

  5. #55
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    96
    Quote Originally Posted by Canus View Post
    Go Duathrandir.

    Sorry for the huge delay, but between work, illness and a death in the family, this really has not been my month.
    My deepest and sincerest concolences, Canus. I am sorry for your loss...
    The Road goes ever on and on, down from the door where it began.
    Now far ahead the Road has gone, and I must follow, if I can.
    ~Bilbo Baggins~

  6. #56
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    912

    Not a Haiku - but....

    In the greenest of our bowers,
    came second born: twice tenanted,
    There,they raised a lofty tower,
    and placed a star upon her head.


    And thus the northern claim established,
    a sister to her southern kin,
    In 'membrance of their father vanished,
    that shan’t be seen on earth again.


    Three sons had she: the northern mother
    all born upon the day she died,
    And each to thee, a third asunder,
    their inheritance did they thus divide.


    Each grown in pride, they cast their eye,
    Upon the star, there left behind,
    'till each of them, grew dark and grim,
    So marked and marred, by slow decline.


    Easy perhaps... any guesses?


  7. #57
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    156
    Quote Originally Posted by Dwarendele View Post
    In the greenest of our bowers,
    came second born: twice tenanted,
    There,they raised a lofty tower,
    and placed a star upon her head.


    And thus the northern claim established,
    a sister to her southern kin,
    In 'membrance of their father vanished,
    that shan’t be seen on earth again.


    Three sons had she: the northern mother
    all born upon the day she died,
    And each to thee, a third asunder,
    their inheritance did they thus divide.


    Each grown in pride, they cast their eye,
    Upon the star, there left behind,
    'till each of them, grew dark and grim,
    So marked and marred, by slow decline.


    Easy perhaps... any guesses?

    Oooh, very nice poem/riddle, I am astonished. I believe Eriador is the answer, or more specifically the Kingdom of Arnor.
    Last edited by Andunion; Jan 30 2013 at 09:19 PM.

  8. #58
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    912
    Quote Originally Posted by Andunion View Post
    Oooh, very nice poem/riddle, I am astonished. I believe Eriador is the answer, or more specifically the Kingdom of Arnor.

    Thank you Andunion. Correct the poem is about the Kingdom of Arnor. Not very good perhaps and more than just a little nod to Edgar Allen Poe and definitely not a Haiku - and for that I apologize after reading bambubambubambus rules at the beginning of the thread I realized how inappropriate it was to post that here... sorry for the derail - now back to the game... I believe the honor goes to Andunion.

  9. #59
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    156
    Ok, here it goes:

    Used by great tyrant,
    Slayer of high king's loved son,
    Only doom awaits.

  10. #60
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    182
    Quote Originally Posted by Andunion View Post
    Ok, here it goes:

    Used by great tyrant,
    Slayer of high king's loved son,
    Only doom awaits.
    Orcs? They killed Isildur (who was High King, his father was a high king too) and his sons.
    "'Nonetheless they will have need of wood', said Aulë and he went on with his smith-work."

  11. #61
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    156
    Quote Originally Posted by Dweorg View Post
    Orcs? They killed Isildur (who was High King, his father was a high king too) and his sons.
    Im afraid thats incorrect

  12. #62
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Land of Entrapment (come on vacation, leave on probation)
    Posts
    347
    Quote Originally Posted by Andunion View Post
    Ok, here it goes:

    Used by great tyrant,
    Slayer of high king's loved son,
    Only doom awaits.
    I would think the great tyrant would be Morgoth. but could also be Sauron. Morgoth wielded Grond the hammer of the underworld when he fought Fingolfin the son of Finwe the high king of the Noldor, though he actually did not kill Fingolfin w/ Grond but only wore him down. Fingolfin was mortally wounded when Morgoth crushed him w/ his shield.

    I also thought of Sauron's macefrom the movies though I do not remember if the books actually mention a weapon Sauron uses but he slays Gil-galad High king of the Noldor in Middle-earth and hence son of the former High king of Noldor in Middle-earth.Also Elendil's son Isildur's brother was slain during the war of the last alliance (and Elendil was the high king of the Numenorean realms in exile), though not necessarily by the hand of Sauron. Hmm. I suppose my guess must be Grond, though it did not strike the mortal blow in battle against Fingolfin it was used by the great tyrant in that fight.
    Last edited by Duathrandir; Feb 02 2013 at 06:08 AM.

  13. #63
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    96
    Quote Originally Posted by Andunion View Post
    Ok, here it goes:

    Used by great tyrant,
    Slayer of high king's loved son,
    Only doom awaits.
    Is it The One Ring?
    Great tyrant = Sauron the Great
    Slayer of High King's loved son = Isildur was betrayed by the ring and subsequently killed.
    only doom awaits = Yeah, the ring is quite doomy...

    It's only logical...
    The Road goes ever on and on, down from the door where it began.
    Now far ahead the Road has gone, and I must follow, if I can.
    ~Bilbo Baggins~

  14. #64
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    156
    Quote Originally Posted by Duathrandir View Post
    I would think the great tyrant would be Morgoth. but could also be Sauron. Morgoth wielded Grond the hammer of the underworld when he fought Fingolfin the son of Finwe the high king of the Noldor, though he actually did not kill Fingolfin w/ Grond but only wore him down. Fingolfin was mortally wounded when Morgoth crushed him w/ his shield.

    I also thought of Sauron's macefrom the movies though I do not remember if the books actually mention a weapon Sauron uses but he slays Gil-galad High king of the Noldor in Middle-earth and hence son of the former High king of Noldor in Middle-earth.Also Elendil's son Isildur's brother was slain during the war of the last alliance (and Elendil was the high king of the Numenorean realms in exile), though not necessarily by the hand of Sauron. Hmm. I suppose my guess must be Grond, though it did not strike the mortal blow in battle against Fingolfin it was used by the great tyrant in that fight.
    Congratulations, you got it. Its the Morgoth Fingolfin one. Grond is the answer, I just always wanted to do a riddle with the Hammer of the Underworld. You are right, it didnt technically kill him, but it created the holes on which he tripped on.
    Last edited by Andunion; Feb 02 2013 at 04:18 PM.

  15. #65
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    156
    Quote Originally Posted by DwarfFriend View Post
    Is it The One Ring?
    Great tyrant = Sauron the Great
    Slayer of High King's loved son = Isildur was betrayed by the ring and subsequently killed.
    only doom awaits = Yeah, the ring is quite doomy...

    It's only logical...
    Sorry dwarf friend but Im the one letting you down this time.

  16. #66
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Land of Entrapment (come on vacation, leave on probation)
    Posts
    347
    Okay here goes

    Rose from crystal springs
    Home to endless proof of mirth
    Dam of mighty flood

  17. #67
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Land of Entrapment (come on vacation, leave on probation)
    Posts
    347
    Quote Originally Posted by Duathrandir View Post
    Okay here goes

    Rose from crystal springs
    Home to endless proof of mirth
    Dam of mighty flood
    If nobody is guessing might I assume this is more difficult than I anticipated? A dual hint then. Rose is not the flower (or indeed even a noun) and Dam is not the structure for restricting a river's flow. Now that should be too easy.

  18. #68
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    182
    Do you refer to Goldberry?
    "'Nonetheless they will have need of wood', said Aulë and he went on with his smith-work."

  19. #69
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Land of Entrapment (come on vacation, leave on probation)
    Posts
    347
    Quote Originally Posted by Dweorg View Post
    Do you refer to Goldberry?
    I refer not to the river woman's daughter.

  20. #70
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    4 Chalk Road, Nettlevale
    Posts
    1,305

    Quote Originally Posted by Duathrandir View Post
    ...and Dam is not the structure for restricting a river's flow. Now that should be too easy.
    Then it's meant to mean dame or mother... My wild guess is Ivrin.

  21. #71
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Land of Entrapment (come on vacation, leave on probation)
    Posts
    347
    Quote Originally Posted by Urwendil View Post



    Then it's meant to mean dame or mother... My wild guess is Ivrin.
    Not so wild as that (Eithel Ivrin) is the answer. It rose, or was fed by, crystal clear springs. It was home to endless laughter, a proof of mirth. and of course it was the mother, or dam, of Narog, a mighty flood.

    Urwendil, you are up.

  22. #72
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    4 Chalk Road, Nettlevale
    Posts
    1,305

    Question


    I'm not good at questions and this will be very obvious but for the sake of rolling the wheel here you go:

    The most steadfast of lovers,
    ever burned by Her splendour,
    ever pursues ceaselessly


  23. #73
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Land of Entrapment (come on vacation, leave on probation)
    Posts
    347
    Quote Originally Posted by Urwendil View Post

    I'm not good at questions and this will be very obvious but for the sake of rolling the wheel here you go:

    The most steadfast of lovers,
    ever burned by Her splendour,
    ever pursues ceaselessly

    Might this refer to Tilion, the maia who steered the vessel of the moon? He was enamoured of Arien who steered the Sun and ever sought to come near her, so the moon was burned by the sun.

    Not that anyone is being an absolute stickler about it, but I feel I must tell you that a haiku, while consisting of 3 lines as your riddle does,has only 5 syllables in the first and third lines and 7 only in its second. Yours is 3 lines w/ 7 syllables in each unless I miss my count.

  24. #74
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    4 Chalk Road, Nettlevale
    Posts
    1,305

    Thumbs up


    Quote Originally Posted by Duathrandir View Post
    Might this refer to Tilion, the maia who steered the vessel of the moon? He was enamoured of Arien who steered the Sun and ever sought to come near her, so the moon was burned by the sun.

    Not that anyone is being an absolute stickler about it, but I feel I must tell you that a haiku, while consisting of 3 lines as your riddle does,has only 5 syllables in the first and third lines and 7 only in its second. Yours is 3 lines w/ 7 syllables in each unless I miss my count.
    Absolutely correct. (Any name or epithet of the moon or just "the Moon" would be acceptable too.) One of my favourite conceptions in the mythology, if not the one

    I apologize for the un-haiku. Forgot to mention I was also bad at poetry when it comes to anything but reading it But this one looks salvageable:

    Most steadfast lover,
    ever burned by Her splendour,
    pursues ceaselessly



  25. #75
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Land of Entrapment (come on vacation, leave on probation)
    Posts
    347
    Sorry all. Death in family. Can't think. Someone take my turns. Be back when I can.

 

 
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

This form's session has expired. You need to reload the page.

Reload