We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Canus View Post
    Thank you.

Wow. First time guessing and I get to pose a riddle!

Meet your father's friends,
    Chief of the relatives of
    Memory and Thought
    The only thing I can think of is Thror's map and key that were given to Thorin by Gandalf... but Thror is Thorin's grandfather, not his father, so this is probably wrong.
    The Road goes ever on and on, down from the door where it began.
    Now far ahead the Road has gone, and I must follow, if I can.
    ~Bilbo Baggins~

Sorry, but not correct.

I guess this has been on for a while that a hint or two is in order:
    1. Figuring out the last line will blow the whole riddle wide open.
    2. To figure out the last line, one must leave the realm of Tolkien lore for a while.

Hope this helps.

Thank you.

Wow. First time guessing and I get to pose a riddle!

Meet your father's friends,
    Chief of the relatives of
    Memory and Thought
    I know this, I know! Or at least I hope so.

Memory and Thought: Huginn and Muninn does Stillfather feed... Oden's ravens. So, raven.
    Chief of the ravens, meeting his father's friends? Was it Roac who was the raven-lord in Hobbit the book when Thorin & Co. finally made it to the Lonely Mountain? My answer: Roac. I hope my memory doesn't fail me now...
    "'Nonetheless they will have need of wood', said Aulë and he went on with his smith-work."

Roac son of Carc it is. You're up!

In the cupboard under the stairs. (or is it under the stalls?)
    Wow...great riddling and solving.
    "Just like Mary Shelly, Just like Frankenstein, Break your chains, Count your change, And try to walk the line"

Ugh. I should've thought I need to post a haiku too before guessing...
    You can note if I am lacking or having too much syllables.

Weeps by a lone rock,
    Uttering for lost kinsmen,
    'O where is my son?'
    "'Nonetheless they will have need of wood', said Aulë and he went on with his smith-work."

Land of Entrapment (come on vacation, leave on probation)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dweorg View Post
    Ugh. I should've thought I need to post a haiku too before guessing...
    You can note if I am lacking or having too much syllables.

Weeps by a lone rock,
    Uttering for lost kinsmen,
    'O where is my son?'
    I also have no haiku to post yet and I can't see missing this one as it is from my very favorite story from The Silmarillion.
    Morwen, the mother of Turin Turambar.
    "Experience: that most brutal of teachers. But you learn, my God do you learn." -C. S. Lewis-

Quote Originally Posted by Duathrandir View Post
    I also have no haiku to post yet and I can't see missing this one as it is from my very favorite story from The Silmarillion.
    Morwen, the mother of Turin Turambar.
    And you are correct. Not much of a difficult riddle, no, but I think Morwen deserves at least one haiku. Anyhow, it is your turn then.

Dweller in shadows

Ingenious and Inventive

Poisonous to mate
    Last edited by Duathrandir; Jan 14 2013 at 02:51 PM. Reason: changed a line
    "Experience: that most brutal of teachers. But you learn, my God do you learn." -C. S. Lewis-

Ungoliant comes to mind. Certainly a dweller in shadows (Ered Gorgoroth), ingenious and inventive (described as plotting alongside Melkor, rather than as a dumb minion), and I also remember from the Silmarillion that she ate her mates after breeding, which isn't poison, per se, but certainly isn't healthy.

Ungoliant comes to mind. Certainly a dweller in shadows (Ered Gorgoroth), ingenious and inventive (described as plotting alongside Melkor, rather than as a dumb minion), and I also remember from the Silmarillion that she ate her mates after breeding, which isn't poison, per se, but certainly isn't healthy.
    Spiders do envenom their prey and I would think that would go for mates as well, however it is not Ungoliant, no nor Shelob either. I think cunning and conniving is a more apt description than ingenious and inventive.

What about Gollum?He is certantly cunning, ingenious and inventive. Dwelled in the shadows of the Misty Mountains. Poisonous to mate might mean harmful to a friend. As long as you're using mate that way.
    Last edited by Andunion; Jan 14 2013 at 08:41 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Andunion View Post
    What about Gollum?He is certantly cunning, ingenious and inventive. Dwelled in the shadows of the Misty Mountains. Poisonous to mate might mean harmful to a friend. As long as you're using mate that way.
    No. Cunning yes, Ingenious and inventive? I think not. Finally, I am not.

Ah, then I have another idea (very good thing I've been brushing up on The Silmarillion of late...).

Eol the Dark Elf lived in the forest of Nan Elmoth, where the trees grew so tall that sunshine couldn't be seen. He was described as a master of craft learned from the dwarves, but seems also crafty enough that he could follow his wife and son as they escaped to Gondolin, tired of the dark woods. And when he caught up with them and was forced to choose between remaining in Gondolin or death, he tried to kill his son as well, but ended up hitting his wife with a poisoned javelin, thus being poisonous to mate.

Ah, then I have another idea (very good thing I've been brushing up on The Silmarillion of late...).

Eol the Dark Elf lived in the forest of Nan Elmoth, where the trees grew so tall that sunshine couldn't be seen. He was described as a master of craft learned from the dwarves, but seems also crafty enough that he could follow his wife and son as they escaped to Gondolin, tired of the dark woods. And when he caught up with them and was forced to choose between remaining in Gondolin or death, he tried to kill his son as well, but ended up hitting his wife with a poisoned javelin, thus being poisonous to mate.
    Ding ding ding ding! You sir are correct. don't forget he invented Galvorn, a shiny black metal that was extremely malleable and as strong as dwarven steel.

Soon will come the end,
    Yet nothing is for certain.
    Choose not hopeful paths.

Hmm, all I can come up with is Paths of the Dead.

Soon will come the end,
    I immediately thought of Sam and Frodo choosing the path into Mordor through Morgul Vale and Cirith Ungol.

Hmm...both are good answers, but neither is what I had in mind. I hadn't considered those when thinking if alternate answers existed. I'll leave it to Andunion whether he wants to pose a next one, or let this one stay on the floor.

Hmm...both are good answers, but neither is what I had in mind. I hadn't considered those when thinking if alternate answers existed. I'll leave it to Andunion whether he wants to pose a next one, or let this one stay on the floor.
    Well, I might as well give someone else a chance. If no one finds it Ill post one instead. By the way, nice answer Duthrandir, didn't think of that one.
    Last edited by Andunion; Jan 15 2013 at 09:46 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Andunion View Post
    Well, I might as well give someone else a chance. If no one finds it Ill post one instead. By the way, nice answer Duthrandir, didn't think of that one.
    I agree w/ Andunion. Let this one stand until it is solved or everyone gives up. Thanks Andunion, paths of the dead was actually my first thought but so as to throw out a different guess the Morgul Vale and Cirith Ungol thing came to mind second.

In the cupboard under the stairs. (or is it under the stalls?)
    Soon will come the end,
    I don't have an answer for this one, but to maybe help others....this sounds like Gandalf-speak to me.
    "Just like Mary Shelly, Just like Frankenstein, Break your chains, Count your change, And try to walk the line"

I thought immediately of Aragorn who decides to lead the armies of Rohan and Gondor to their almost inevitable doom at The Black Gate, in the hopes of buying Sam and Frodo time. "Soon will come the end, yet nothing is for certain" because he doesn't know for sure if they still live and are still on their way, so "choose not hopeful paths"
    The Road goes ever on and on, down from the door where it began.
    Now far ahead the Road has gone, and I must follow, if I can.
    ~Bilbo Baggins~

Quote Originally Posted by DwarfFriend View Post
    I thought immediately of Aragorn who decides to lead the armies of Rohan and Gondor to their almost inevitable doom at The Black Gate, in the hopes of buying Sam and Frodo time. "Soon will come the end, yet nothing is for certain" because he doesn't know for sure if they still live and are still on their way, so "choose not hopeful paths"
    Sounds pretty solid to me. I think ya might have it.

Quote Originally Posted by DwarfFriend View Post
    sweet answer, with extra sugar

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast