We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Matching your mount

Two of my very favourite things about LOTRO are a) the stunning variety of mounts, and b) the ability to put together a wide range of cosmetic outfits for your character. But what I really love is combining these two things! Maybe it's just that I'm anal, or OCD, but I really, really love designing my outfit to match the horse I'm using at the moment. It also makes me twitch to be wearing colours that jar with those of my horse. >_>;; (Yeah, probably OCD.)

However, I'm sure I can't be the only one out there. Why don't we share some screenshots of our favourite mounts, and outfits we've either deliberately designed, or stumbled upon, which seem to complement them? I'll start off with a screenshot of my Huntress on her Pale Golden Summer Steed, in some threads I put together for the express purpose of looking good while I canter around on his back.

Last edited by Tamasha; Sep 22 2012 at 11:57 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Tamasha View Post
    However, I'm sure I can't be the only one out there.
    here I am!
    not always so easy as f2p player, I'd like to buy all rep mounts, some are very beautiful, but need lot of gold
    soon some screenshot

You're not the only one though my first was unintentional. This was cross posted in the Favorite Costumes thread. I remembered I had the horse hours after I made the costume. Since then I've made a couple more, but no good pictures yet. With a total of 32 horses and an unlimted amount of dyes, there will be more, it's finding just the right costume pieces that are my problem. LOL and this isn't including Rohan.

Cavalier

PS: I don't think you're OCD, everything just looks a bit more polished if it seems to go together. It always throws me a bit off seeing someone in a well thought-out costume, and a really cool horse, but they don't look great together.
    Last edited by Ameesa; Sep 22 2012 at 03:33 PM.

I generally feel like matching outfits to non-customizable mounts holds me back; that said I do acknowledge the appeal of that kind of challenge to other folks. I recently attempted to (with the qualifier "some intent") match various green Rohirric outfits to the steed of the Eastmennet. I quickly abandoned that for my Rohirric Warden: Skirmisher and my Rohirric Loremaster (coming next week). EDIT: I reckon I'll see how that skirmisher outfit looks with the Eastemnet Warsteed dyed Rivendell green, if I can do that.

I'm on foot most of the time anyway, running instances and raids.

However, I absolutely will jump on the opportunity use a steed that just-so-happens to look good with an existing outfit, like the black and red Moria goat + any ToO armor based outfit, or my Hill Warden outfit + the Eglain steed.

With the advent of customizable warsteeds, I expect my relationship with the concept of matching outfits to steeds will change a bit. Instead of not trying too hard, I'll make an effort (and probably spend too much doing so) to match steeds to outfits.
    Last edited by Omen_Kaizer; Sep 23 2012 at 11:08 AM.
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/03202000000363f98/01003/signature.png]undefined[/charsig]
    Rechart, Warden
    [url="http://platemetaljacket.blogspot.com/"]Plate Metal Jacket[/url]

Yep, I do this.

My pirate-y outfit, matched to the Eriador world renowned steed.

My Mathom Society outfit.

And my completely-the-opposite-of-camouflage Lossoth outfit, with the Elf Ambassador steed.

I have 25-ish mounts at the moment and I lament that there is not enough slots to have a matching outfit for each one.

All the time. My latest was for the Lossoth steed:

More pictures here.
    [url=http://ponyloversanonymous.wordpress.com/]Pony Lovers Anonymous[/url]
    Matching outfits to the steeds of Middle-Earth
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0520300000018379f/01004/signature.png]undefined[/charsig]

I'm so glad you started this thread, Tamasha! I especially love your huntress and Elyara's Mathom outfit. I have also recently acquired a Lossoth cloak, and it occurred to me that it would look good dyed to match my Simbelmyne steed - not a horse I'd usually associate with the harsh weather of Forochel, but she works well I think

The cloak was already rose coloured, but I added sea-blue dye to make it match the steed.
    Last edited by Iolanthea; Sep 23 2012 at 04:26 PM.
    Iolanthea and Theodoret live at 1 Fountain Street, Havenhold, Breeland, Snowbourn.
    Diodore, Goldfinch and Milburra live at 3 Wending Way, Alebrook, The Shire.
    "You fall and cleave your skull. You have mastered 39% of this adventure".....oh

Hah! Glad to see so many kindred spirits

Quote Originally Posted by Rosheille View Post
    I have 25-ish mounts at the moment and I lament that there is not enough slots to have a matching outfit for each one.
    Those are lovely! I particularly like what you did with the Mathom Society steed, I've often despaired of finding something to match it's particular colour combination. And hah, I totally have outfits customized to my favourite steeds bound to my slots, so I can switch in a jiff to match whatever I'm riding.

Quote Originally Posted by Elyara View Post
    More pictures here.
    Your blog <3 I love eeeeet.

Quote Originally Posted by Iolanthea View Post
    I'm so glad you started this thread, Tamasha! I especially love your huntress and Elyara's Mathom outfit. I have also recently acquired a Lossoth cloak, and it occurred to me that it would look good dyed to match my Symbelmyne steed - not a horse I'd usually associate with the harsh weather of Forochel, but she works well I think
    That is absolutely lovely. The Simbelmyne steed is so unique, but you got the sea-blue and rose of the cloak to match it perfectly! Kudos for that; I would personally never have thought of it.
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/132130000000774af/01008/signature.png]undefined[/charsig]

Thanks Tamasha Ameeza, your cavalier is gorgeous. Which horse is that please? I'm still a relative newbie.
    Iolanthea and Theodoret live at 1 Fountain Street, Havenhold, Breeland, Snowbourn.
    "You fall and cleave your skull. You have mastered 39% of this adventure".....oh

Helm's Deep Devamp killed my long time toons. Currently bouncing around between post-HD newbie alts (a warden and champ) and other games.
    Baruk Khazâd! Khazâd ai-mênu!
    http://cruciblegaming.com

He's a really good-looking hunter, Sigram. He looks well kitted-out for adventure in the wilds. I guess you've customised the horse to suit him? It looks awesome, I like the leatherwork around the mane (sorry, I've no idea what the proper term for this is).

Eodread, Earendel, Isilmacil - Horizon
    Thattickles, Thangorodread - Table Smashers

Wow... you all have done a fantastic job here!

The Dwarf just might be hands down my favorite of the bunch, but they're all good so far.

I can't wait till I can start getting these steeds/cosmetics!
    “I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend.” Faramir

Sometimes, the mount matches you!

I made this outfit back in late spring or so.

And low and behold, in mid-summer, along comes a matching steed. From the Farmer's Faire of all things.

Last edited by Jadzi; Sep 24 2012 at 01:32 PM.

"Life is 10% what you make it, and 90% how you take it." - Irving Berlin
    MirkwoodIsengardLOTRO-Wiki

I made this outfit with the intent to match my Smokey Black Horse from Mirkwood.

However, it also seems to coincidentally match my Elf Ambassador Horse also.

[center][size=1][img]http://i60.tinypic.com/2zrp7hi.jpg[/img]
    [u]ELENDILMIR[/u]: NIBENETH - LVL 85 ELF HUNTER // SILPHIUM - LVL 55 HOBBIT WARDEN[/size][/center]

Gotta love this thread! The thing that really got me into cosmetics was my first festival shortly after I started playing last year. I saw some really cool cloaks and, after spending a while trying to learn the whole cosmetic outfit system, I couldn't understand how I hadn't paid any attention to the looks of my outfits earlier.
    I also love switching between different outfits/mounts when traveling to different regions, just to get the feeling right.

Summerfest Steed (with Summerdays Hat & Summer Tunic and Trousers):

Steed of the Dusk-watch (with Common Long-sleeved Tunic and Trousers & Farmer's Fancy Wide-brimmed Hat):

Lossoth Steed (with the Ajokoira outfit & Ceremonial Cloak of Mammutti)
    I know the colors don't really match but I love the overall look:

Harvest-Brew Goat (with Harvest-Brew Long-sleeved Tunic and Trousers... didn't come up with a matching hat yet):

Mathom Society Steed Outfit

Quote Originally Posted by Tamasha View Post
    Those are lovely! I particularly like what you did with the Mathom Society steed, I've often despaired of finding something to match it's particular colour combination. And hah, I totally have outfits customized to my favourite steeds bound to my slots, so I can switch in a jiff to match whatever I'm riding.
    Thanks - it's one of my favourite mounts and outfits. There's more pics and outfit details in the big Cosmetic Outfits thread here: http://forums.lotro.com/showthread.p...08#post6382808

but to save you clicking, the items are:

Campaigner's shoulder guards (crafted)/Gwathnor's Ended (moria epic) - olive
    Extravagant festival cap (Frostbluff winter festival) - undyed/black
    Fine elven quiver (Outfitter in Rivendell) - black
    Radiant dwarf-make armour (crafted) - black
    Fine Grey Company Gauntlets (dunland epic) - undyed/black
    Dunland medium leggings (many look like this, but these are Dolen-savaid) - black
    Elven campaigner's boots (crafted) - again, black

Quote Originally Posted by Iolanthea View Post
    He's a really good-looking hunter, Sigram. He looks well kitted-out for adventure in the wilds. I guess you've customised the horse to suit him? It looks awesome, I like the leatherwork around the mane (sorry, I've no idea what the proper term for this is).
    The top picture is the Steed of the Hunter. I did very little to match myself to it as, by default I either run around in olive green or orange/rust. Seeing as I think of my hunter as the ultimate outdoorsman, the olive green was a no brainer.

Since I took those screen caps a couple weeks ago, I've actually changed the dye color of the shoulders, gloves and boots, to umber. I left the tunic and backpack olive. Now the boots and gloves look more like tanned leather and the shoulder/neck wrap looks like a brown woolen blanket with some blue-green highlights. Overall I really like the effect!

The second picture shown shows one of the warsteed appearances that will be available on the Turbine store. I don't remember all the details but its a TP store caparison (saddle blanket, barding, whatever you want to call it) and matching halter (around the neck). For the gear slot, I took the quiver and bedroll gear from the Steed of the Hunter and put it on the back of the horse. It's all been dyed olive to match my hunter, but that particular screen shot does not show it well.
    Helm's Deep Devamp killed my long time toons. Currently bouncing around between post-HD newbie alts (a warden and champ) and other games.

Quote Originally Posted by druidofbreeland View Post
    Wow... you all have done a fantastic job here!

The Dwarf just might be hands down my favorite of the bunch, but they're all good so far.

I can't wait till I can start getting these steeds/cosmetics!
    Thanks! I'm pretty partial to that dwarf myself.

I saw this shirt in the AH the other day and absolutely fell in love with it. There were some leggings and shoes as well (not the same set as the shirt) that worked really well with it, but alas I am just a low level player so far and if I'd gotten the shirt, leggings, and shoes it'd cost 14gold for the outfit.

Chest: Rugged Rock Climbers Armour (Level 51 bought from AH)
    Legs: Quilted Leggings (Burglar Starter Pants)
    Shoes: Padded Shoes (Burglar Starter Shoes)
    Steed: Steed of the Horse-Lords (Mithril Edition Horse)

Edit: Will take better screenshots later tonight after work.

Second star to the right and straight until morning... til you reach Neverland...

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by druidofbreeland View Post

I saw this shirt in the AH the other day and absolutely fell in love with it. There were some leggings and shoes as well (not the same set as the shirt) that worked really well with it, but alas I am just a low level player so far and if I'd gotten the shirt, leggings, and shoes it'd cost 14gold for the outfit.

Chest: Rugged Rock Climbers Armour (Level 51 bought from AH)
    Legs: Quilted Leggings (Burglar Starter Pants)
    Shoes: Padded Shoes (Burglar Starter Shoes)
    Steed: Steed of the Horse-Lords (Mithril Edition Horse)

Edit: Will take better screenshots later tonight after work.
    Simple elegance. From this distance, he sort of reminds me of a matador. (My burglar kept her default leggings and shoes for outfits too. So don't feel bad about not buying the whole matching outfit.)
    !<3?!Wargs Rule!!?<3! But only because we have no playable feline races.
    ???s6u!?? 3?!?o?@? ?w ?o m3? @ 3?@ 3s3??
    *s6u!s* ¡?w ?o ?s3!6?@M pu@ 's3ss3??s!w-3?ol 's3s?l3?

Founder & Altoholic: playing wargies and loremistresses since 2006 SoA beta.*Jingle Jangle!*
    A "lifetime" of play on: Elendilmir (RIP), Crick, Landy, & more.

Steed of the Minstrel:

Close-up of outfit:
    Last edited by Enigmaticpenguin; Oct 06 2012 at 12:45 PM. Reason: added a signature >_>
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0420800000019f797/01008/signature.png]undefined[/charsig]
    Alts: Kiche - Runekeeper | Teladuialwen - Lore-master | Eyrenith - Hunter
    Blog: [url]http://dyesandcrochets.blogspot.com/[/url]

Quote Originally Posted by Enigmaticpenguin View Post
    Steed of the Minstrel:
    I'm still deciding weather to buy the mini mount. There are things I like about it but other things I don't. Great job on matching an outfit to it

~Lotro Stylist~
    Devonna & Kedwyr of Landroval

Quote Originally Posted by kedwyr View Post
    I'm still deciding weather to buy the mini mount. There are things I like about it but other things I don't. Great job on matching an outfit to it
    Thanks! It's an interesting mount. It's rather bright for a battlefield, but I decided it can't be much more conspicuous than all the screaming, beam-of-light spawning, and instrument-playing I do.
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0420800000019f797/01008/signature.png]undefined[/charsig]
    Alts: Kiche - Runekeeper | Teladuialwen - Lore-master | Eyrenith - Hunter
    Blog: [url]http://dyesandcrochets.blogspot.com/[/url]

Here's my Minstrel with the new steed:

I absolutely love it. Too bad the pony seems bugged, the ribbons are way oversized. I sent a bug report, hopefully they'll fix it soon.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast