We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.
Results 1 to 12 of 12
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Houstont, TX. United States of America.
    Posts
    26

    OK, maybe a really dumb question. (Hair Color).

    My character is a "Man of the Bree-Lands", specifically with distant noble Cardolani heritage. I didn't chose any other heritage, because, quite honestly, I was beginning the game in Bree and also Cardolani. However, some Cardolani with very distant heritage could have intermarried with Northmen, who are traditionally blond or redheads. Is it possible to change my haircolor to blond. I went to the Prancing Pony, but the closest the cosmetologist could get to was rather grayish. Not even platinum.

    Sorry if this sound excessively vain.....


    CC (Calimendil Calastir)

  2. #2
    Quote Originally Posted by Calimendil View Post
    My character is a "Man of the Bree-Lands", specifically with distant noble Cardolani heritage. I didn't chose any other heritage, because, quite honestly, I was beginning the game in Bree and also Cardolani. However, some Cardolani with very distant heritage could have intermarried with Northmen, who are traditionally blond or redheads. Is it possible to change my haircolor to blond. I went to the Prancing Pony, but the closest the cosmetologist could get to was rather grayish. Not even platinum.

    Sorry if this sound excessively vain.....


    CC (Calimendil Calastir)

    No im afraid not that I know of. Your hair color choices are directly related to where you hail from. As a Rohirrim soldier I have access to blonde since Eorl of old was blonde and we are descendants of him. Hope this helps

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Houstont, TX. United States of America.
    Posts
    26

    Follow-Up To A Really, Really Old Question of Mine!

    Quote Originally Posted by Whitewinged7 View Post
    No im afraid not that I know of. Your hair color choices are directly related to where you hail from. As a Rohirrim soldier I have access to blonde since Eorl of old was blonde and we are descendants of him. Hope this helps
    I created two new Characters, both Elven. One was from Lothlorien and the other from Mirkwood. Neither one had the hair color option that would make mine the color of Legolas from both the Films and the Hildebrant Brothers' pictures. Am I doing something wrong? Could a barber help me out? Thanks!
    Little Hope there is that help should come from Gondor, but we shall see the glory of Cardolan restored!

    --Calimendil Calantir

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    Still lost
    Posts
    475
    Quote Originally Posted by Calimendil View Post
    I created two new Characters, both Elven. One was from Lothlorien and the other from Mirkwood. Neither one had the hair color option that would make mine the color of Legolas from both the Films and the Hildebrant Brothers' pictures. Am I doing something wrong? Could a barber help me out? Thanks!
    The place to see your range of colors for hair is during character creation. I suggest you look there for the colors you want.
    Keep calm, and snuggle.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Ered Luin
    Posts
    735
    there is no "Legolas platinum blonde" in the color palette of lotro though. You can come close to it of course, but you'll have it either more grayish than white and more golden than blonde. the type of hairstyle and the lighting your character is in also influence how you see the colours. you can try fiddling with the upper left part of the colour bar. (first is char creation more on the "blonde" side, second barber shop more on the "greyish" side)



    Last edited by miriadel; Sep 18 2015 at 01:20 PM.
    My Lotro blog :)

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Vermont
    Posts
    1,735
    Quote Originally Posted by Calimendil View Post
    I created two new Characters, both Elven. One was from Lothlorien and the other from Mirkwood. Neither one had the hair color option that would make mine the color of Legolas from both the Films and the Hildebrant Brothers' pictures. Am I doing something wrong? Could a barber help me out? Thanks!
    There's actually a lot of debate about what color Legolas's hair was supposed to be, and Tolkien wrote some things that seem contradictory on the subject. We know Thranduil had golden hair, but we also know that the only elves with golden hair were from one particular line, which doesn't include Thranduil. Legolas himself never has his hair color specified in the books, save a mention of his head being dark, that doesn't have to be referring to his hair. So basically, what you're missing is that Turbine chose one interpretation of the available information, and Peter Jackson chose another. Here's a summary of the various points in this debate, including Christopher Tolkien's attempts to reconcile it: http://www.ageofthering.com/tolkien/...rs/legolas.php

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Houstont, TX. United States of America.
    Posts
    26
    Quote Originally Posted by HunterGreen View Post
    There's actually a lot of debate about what color Legolas's hair was supposed to be, and Tolkien wrote some things that seem contradictory on the subject. We know Thranduil had golden hair, but we also know that the only elves with golden hair were from one particular line, which doesn't include Thranduil. Legolas himself never has his hair color specified in the books, save a mention of his head being dark, that doesn't have to be referring to his hair. So basically, what you're missing is that Turbine chose one interpretation of the available information, and Peter Jackson chose another. Here's a summary of the various points in this debate, including Christopher Tolkien's attempts to reconcile it: http://www.ageofthering.com/tolkien/...rs/legolas.php
    I appreciate your prompt response. I believe the hair color shown in your pictures was what I finally chose.

    To sorta clarify what you mentioned about Professor Tolkien and "hair color," the race with very, very blond were the Noldo. These had disobeyed the Valar (as I recall) in leaving Valinor, heading back to Middle-Earth proper to regain the Silmarils. The most famous Noldo was the Lady Galadriel, Protrectress of the Golden Wood. She was allowed to return to Valinor because she met two conditions: primarily she rejected the One Ring when freely offered to her by Frodo Baggins, as well as being an original holder of one of the Elven Rings; she did not use it's power while the Lord Sauron the Great himself had possession of the One Ring. However, the essential reason for the Valar's forgiveness was because she refused the One Ring and sacrificially submitted to diminish herself. It was at that point she realized the Valar's necessary forgiveness.

    As far as King Thranduil, perhaps he had some unknown relation to the Noldo. However, since he had never been to Valinor, it could've been that his race (Sylvan Elves?) had differing genetic traits than other Elves. If Legolas Greenleaf had dark hair, that could've come from his mother's heritage. It could be presumed that dark hair was another Sylvan Elf genetic trait.

    Another interpretation concerning Legolas, that I drew from your reference, was that Frodo Baggins, being much shorter than Legolas, could have seen him standing with the Sun behind him. This would've made most of him appear darker: hair, face, even clothing; just as would happen in our natural world.
    Little Hope there is that help should come from Gondor, but we shall see the glory of Cardolan restored!

    --Calimendil Calantir

  8. #8
    Quote Originally Posted by Calimendil View Post
    To sorta clarify what you mentioned about Professor Tolkien and "hair color," the race with very, very blond were the Noldo. These had disobeyed the Valar (as I recall) in leaving Valinor, heading back to Middle-Earth proper to regain the Silmarils. The most famous Noldo was the Lady Galadriel, Protrectress of the Golden Wood.
    Actually the majority of the Noldor were dark-haired. You're right that Galadriel was counted among the Noldor (because her father Finarfin was a Noldo), but her hair was of mixed gold and silver. The silver was inherited from her Telerin mother, Eärwen. (The Teleri were also usually dark haired but some had silver hair, including Eärwen's father Olwë.) The gold in Galadriel's hair was inherited from her paternal grandmother Indis, a Vanya. The Vanyar were the elves with golden hair.

    As far as King Thranduil, perhaps he had some unknown relation to the Noldo. However, since he had never been to Valinor, it could've been that his race (Sylvan Elves?) had differing genetic traits than other Elves. If Legolas Greenleaf had dark hair, that could've come from his mother's heritage. It could be presumed that dark hair was another Sylvan Elf genetic trait.
    Thranduil was a Sinda, who again usually have dark hair, so his golden hair is unexplained. Nothing is known about Legolas's mother. She might have been a Sinda (Grey Elf, like Thranduil) or a Nando (Silvan Elf, like Thranduil's subjects).

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Ohio River valley
    Posts
    267
    Quote Originally Posted by HunterGreen View Post
    We know Thranduil had golden hair...
    No, we don't. In The Hobbit, which is the only primary text in which he appears, his appearance is barely described at all. More is said about his personality and that of his people. Here is all we have describing Thranduil in person:

    "In a great hall with pillars hewn out of the living stone sat the Elvenking on a chair of carven wood. On his head was a crow of berries ans red leaves, for the autumn was come again. In the spring he wore a crown of woodland flowers. In his hand he held a carven staff of oak." – The Hobbit, "Barrels out of Bond", p.172, Del Rey paperback, 1982

    No mention of hair-color at all. If you have another source in the Professor's own words describing him, please share it, but to my best understanding that is the only description we have.

    In the books, only the Vanyar, and elves of the House of Finwë having descent from his second wife Indis, have golden hair. The royal color in Sindarin lines was silver, but we only know that Oropher, Thraduil's father, was an elf of Doriath. He is not named as a kinsman of Thingol, and we do not know whom he wed, whether a Sinda or a Nandorin elf of Mirkwood, or what color hair any of these people had - save that golden blonde is not on the list of possibilities.
    Last edited by Aestivan; Sep 28 2015 at 11:32 AM. Reason: sourcing quote

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Upon these hither shores
    Posts
    277
    pretty sure it is stated that Thranduil hair is blonde. Mind you, blonde, not golden. If not in the Hobbit, it must be written in the Book of Lost Tales (chapter gof Galadriel and Celeborn or the genealogy of sindar elves, or something)

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    In the cupboard under the stairs. (or is it under the stalls?)
    Posts
    3,297
    Quote Originally Posted by Aestivan View Post
    No, we don't. In The Hobbit, which is the only primary text in which he appears, his appearance is barely described at all. More is said about his personality and that of his people. Here is all we have describing Thranduil in person:

    "In a great hall with pillars hewn out of the living stone sat the Elvenking on a chair of carven wood. On his head was a crow of berries ans red leaves, for the autumn was come again. In the spring he wore a crown of woodland flowers. In his hand he held a carven staff of oak." – The Hobbit, "Barrels out of Bond", p.172, Del Rey paperback, 1982

    No mention of hair-color at all. If you have another source in the Professor's own words describing him, please share it, but to my best understanding that is the only description we have.

    ...snip
    In the previous chapter, before the dwarves are captured by the spiders...

    After lying and listening for a while, they found they could not resist the desire to go nearer and try once more to get help. Up they got again; and this time the result was disastrous. The feast that they now saw was greater and more magnificent than before; and at the head of a long line of feasters sat a woodland king with a crown of leaves upon his golden hair, very much as Bombur had described the figure in his dream. The elvish folk were passing bowls from hand to hand and across the fires, and some were harping and many were singing.
    Now, this passage does not mention the name of the "woodland king" but I can see how some would take it to be Thranduil.


    The real Boraxxe... wearing his "Get off my lawn!" face
    This has to end. I do not play LOTRO because I want to gamble. I play LOTRO because I like the game.
    Buying keys is not playing the game.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Upon these hither shores
    Posts
    277
    ah well there, it is in the Hobbit. A woodland king with a crown of leaves on his golden hair having a party with other elves in Mirkwood... I wonder who that might be :P

 

 

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

This form's session has expired. You need to reload the page.

Reload