We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

Thread: The Big Dipper?

The Big Dipper?

Looking at the night sky last night I noticed the Big Dipper in the sky among the stars, and I think we see Scorpio also.... so Middle Earth is on Earth? I was not sure from reading the books.

Essentially, yes. Long story short, Tolkien ended up wanting to make a mythology for Great Britain, and Middle Earth was the perfect vehicle for that.

What we call the Big Dipper is called the Plough by the Hobbits. The elves refer to it as the Sickle of the Valar.

This is addressed in the prologue Concerning Hobbits. See here for example: http://tolkien.cro.net/mearth/another.html

Here's a brief bit of reading about it http://tolkiengateway.net/wiki/Constellations
    If you give away gold bars, someone will complain they're too heavy.
    .: Dannach, 115 WDN :.: Daire, 86 LMR :.: Gyrefalcon, 101 CHN :.: Brandon, 75 CPT :.: Honey, 73 GRD :.: Griffon, 72 HNT :.: Sunhawk, 106 RNK :.
    .: Iryth, 61 WDN :.: Baye, 63 WDN :.: Samtal, 65 WDN :.:Dunnock, 58 WDN :.: Sedgewald, 70 LMR :.: Breyon, 45 CHN :.: Totes, 115 HNT :.

I am the master of my fate. I am the captain of my soul.
    Might as well face it, I'm addicted to WDN

Yes, it's about 4,000 BC

The Conan stories are similarly placed on a pre-historic earth, about 10,000 BC

Orion is also very prominent in the East, and you can also find the Ursa Minor, 7 Sisters and many many other constellations! My only regret is that the sky doesn't actually rotate, but I'll take what I can get.
    Eleyan Al'Landerin
    Fearless Leader of Nossecemna
    Players Council Member
    Minstrel of Meneldor

Wow, lots of infos there, thanks guys

the Moon never tipped you off?
    "I am always serious; I am never serious." -Me
    "I make the most outrageous and exaggerated statements of any man to ever live, has ever lived, or that will ever live." -Me

Quote Originally Posted by Mulots View Post
    Looking at the night sky last night I noticed the Big Dipper in the sky among the stars, and I think we see Scorpio also.... so Middle Earth is on Earth? I was not sure from reading the books.
    Would it not be even stranger if Midde-Earth were a different planet that just happened to be populated by Humans?

TANSTAAFL

I am an astrophysics student and tolkien lore nerd so hopefully may be able to help here (given these are the 2 subjects in hand!)
    ...i wrote an article a while back addressing the time and place of middle earth...here it is

http://tolkienology.weebly.com/1/pos...d-a-place.html

if you have any questions regarding astronomy or tolkien then feel free to pm me

rich

On another note, though, you can see the rest of the night sky is like floor tiling You can find the same pattern of stars in a number of different locations.