We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

Leave housing alone! Add a better housing system in new areas

Since way long ago in Asheron's Call, I've been hearing from Turbine reps that the housing system is kind of a mess to update, either because it's inefficient to work with or updates come with the risk of people losing their house and items.

Makes sense, but why not just start from scratch? Leave people their old, goofy to work with houses, and add a better, separate system in other areas.

I see no inherent lore or technical reasons why an adventurer couldn't own a little house south of Bree and also a modern apartment (programming wise) in Bree. Or a little ice fishing shack in Forochel. Or build an outpost and stable in the Trollshaws to make getting around less terrible. Call the new system advanced housing or homesteading or whatever. I wouldn't mind if all my cosmetic trophies were stuck forever in my old cave home if it meant I could work on a new piece of Middle Earth with updated functionality.

100% agreed I was going to write this post and you saved me the time thanks plus rep.

New housing all the way !! oh and take your time and do it right this time please. dont care about time frames just get it in beta and lets build it together huh
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0720600000008d8e8/01003/signature.png]undefined[/charsig]

yh New houses should be in new region would love to have house in endeweith or in upcoming arenas in rohan

Turbine srsl house arena arent big content do some work and show that u care about us

Quote Originally Posted by ManaBone View Post
    I see no inherent lore or technical reasons why an adventurer couldn't own a a little ice fishing shack in Forochel. Or build an outpost and stable in the Trollshaws to make getting around less terrible.
    From a lore standpoint, those are terrible ideas.

Quote Originally Posted by ManaBone View Post
    /snip I see no inherent lore or technical reasons why an adventurer couldn't own a little house south of Bree and also a modern apartment (programming wise) in Bree.
    I can immediately think of a couple of reasons why not, the main one being that from a systems standpoint, it is almost always a bad idea to have 2 different systems running side by side to do effectively the same job. More specifically, as an example, with 2 different housing systems, possibly each housing item would probably have to be duplicated so as to potentially work in each possible area, thereby at a stroke doubling time and risk for any future updates to either system. I'm sure there would be ways to get around this, but at what development cost that may be acceptable to the developers? who knows.

I stress that this example is all speculation, but the axiom is sound.

Btw - I share in the excitement that housing may at last get some love....... ty Scarycrow!
    'Tis but a scratch!

I would love to see something done about housing and I'd be more than willing to let my house and the kin house go, if the only way to do this was to wipe them all and start afresh.

There would need to be some kind of warehouse vault, that stored housing items permanently (escrow is only temporary, I believe), so that players not around at the time this happened wouldn't lose all their stuff.

Perhaps this is too drastic a solution, but otherwise, I don't think anything would change.

Quote Originally Posted by maxjenius View Post
    From a lore standpoint, those are terrible ideas.
    How so? Please compare building a shack in Forochel to rebuilding Moria with an expedition of dwarves while the war of the ring is still ongoing and explain how a shack would change history more.

What would Saruman do to deal with the increase of shacks in Forochel? How would he adjust his strategies to meet the new shack menace, and what percent of his forces would he devote to dealing with it?

Quote Originally Posted by skadoink View Post
    I can immediately think of a couple of reasons why not, the main one being that from a systems standpoint, it is almost always a bad idea to have 2 different systems running side by side to do effectively the same job.
    They wouldn't really be doing the same job though. Current housing does the job of giving players a couple chests and hooks to place old cosmetic items on. Hypothetical Housing 2.0 could do the job of letting players place new cosmetic items without the restriction of hooks, and if it also had new features and just generally worked better, I wouldn't be too upset if it meant old cosmetics only hooked in old housing, and cool new items and building development were just for new housing.

More specifically, as an example, with 2 different housing systems, possibly each housing item would probably have to be duplicated so as to potentially work in each possible area, thereby at a stroke doubling time and risk for any future updates to either system. I'm sure there would be ways to get around this, but at what development cost that may be acceptable to the developers? who knows.
    Which is why I mentioned leaving all the cosmetic items behind, if it could help get us new functionality. Keep the old giant swan fountains and dragon skulls in cosmetic housing land, it would probably be inappropriate to set one up in Bree anyway. It's only a matter of time before that devious Mayor Tenderlarch invents zoning regulations.

I think I'd also rather see them just bite the bullet and tear out the whole thing to replace it with something else, rather than try to keep both a flawed old system in order along side a new system that will take some time to work all the bugs out. Especially since that old system would have to be removed eventually anyway.

Note that very few people will tolerate losing use of their housing cosmetics, no matter the reason, and will not accept having to maintain two houses - one broken, one not - in order to keep them. It's a case where the whole process really needs to be done correctly or not at all.

I agree that maintaining multiple properties all over Middle Earth would be a pain - if the new properties used the same old system. I think there are much better systems that could be put in place for properties in new areas, however.

Purely speculation, but I think that some of the work on mechanics going on with Rohan could eventually (next few years) lead to exactly this situation.

I'd rather if needed that they close down existing housing and give us tokens to buy new houses then just leave it in its current sad state and then add a second housing system.

The only peep we have heard from the Devs about houseing was a poll that came out about a year ago that asked us what we would love to see in a housing system. Then they took the info and never said a word about housing again. I doubt there is even a housing forum monitor at this point.

SUCKS!
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/03202000000160bc4/01002/signature.png]undefined[/charsig]

I hate the new Edit Signature functionality