We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.
  1. Moors captains? BoE or cutting attack?

I can have only one, which should it be for a solo dps weapon, primarily for the Moors.
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0520a00000033326e/01008/signature.png]doronor[/charsig]

I personally prefer Blade of Elendil Damage. With Adherent of Elendil traited and the maxed legacy you can get some very respectable crits.

You could argue for the bleed legacy but in my opinion it is such an insubstantial bleed its not really worth it in comparison.
    Barst
    Skill and Valour
    Landroval

Cutting Attack is more useful for the slow than damage in the Moors. It's not an insignificant amount of damage by any means, but BoE does much more if you're going through the DPS chain with a reasonable amount of speed.

Then again, in my time in the Moors I find it can be difficult to really focus any one target reliably. Darn Creeps are slippery buggers.
    Cainwen Ciaphas, Captain of Crickhollow, HERO OF MIDDLE EARTH!!!
    I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed, or numbered! My opinions are my own!

Quote Originally Posted by seyahat View Post
    I can have only one, which should it be for a solo dps weapon, primarily for the Moors.
    If it's a solo, dps, moors weapon, why can you only have one of them? You really only need 2 legacies or so for a solo moors weapon: Cutting Attack Bleed Damage and Blade of Elendil Damage. All the other legacies that you'd need on your main hand (and not a swap) are situational:

To Arms Duration - You can swap for this legacy. Even if you don't want to (since it's a pain), this legacy isn't useful for a solo cappy unless you're toting a pet along with you. I prefer a banner in the moors, so I have no need for this legacy on my moors LI.

Telling Mark Damage - Revealing mark is almost always the better option for a solo cappy in the moors. I still usually throw this on my weapon for those situational times when it's useful and because I occasionally run content using my moors LI.

Melee Skill Power Cost - Useful if you don't believe in using potions while soloing. If you do use power potions, you won't usually run out of power before either you or the other side is dead.

Maximum Targets for Pressing Attack - I suppose this might be useful if you plan on being solo while gold tagging raid v raid action. But if you're just running around solo by yourself, this isn't as useful.

In short, there are only 6 legacies I'd find useful or useful situationally. So why don't you have room for the cutting attack and BoE legacies? What are you using? How are you planning on playing your cappy out there?
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/1321300000006cbd4/signature.png]Nomere[/charsig]

BoE is much better dps
    Kraken, Thesungodra

blade, with trait and legacy
    Beastwise - Captain, R15 | Shock and Awe | Gladden

I have both BoE and Cutting Attack on my own weapon, maxed out at 19.5% and 35.5% respectively. In a build built for crit and traited Master of War (Blade of Elendil trait included), I get much more use out of BoE. Unless you can get both Cutting Attack and Grave Wound to stick, then the skill is really only useful for the slow. I had hoped it might have some effect on fleeing creeps, similar to the Hunter's barbed arrow trait, but the damage is not quite as significant.

On the other hand, I have Blade of Elendil, which I already spam because of the 3-piece Dagor set. It crits a lot and gives big numbers when it does. It gives me the ability to hit creeps with some pretty nice damage when I chain together a few Devastating Blows, Shadow Laments, and Blade of Elendils right in a row. In the moors, it's all about doing the most damage possible before a Creep can heal or run, and if all those chains crit, then I'm usually able to drop an opponent before they even know what happened.
    [b][color=forestgreen]~Landroval~[/color][/b]
    [b][size=1][color=green]Raigar - 100 Captain[/color] | [color=green]Raigorn - 100 Hunter[/color][/b]
    [i][color=green]Captains of the West - Leader[/color][/i]
    [color=red]Founder[/color] | [color=red]Lifetime Member[/color] | [color=red]Raider[/color] | [color=red]Roleplayer[/color][/size]

Blade of Elendil
    MI6 - Evernight
    Erelena R9 Guardian | Merebrand R12 Burglar | Merelyssa R9 Captain
    Needlesstosay R8 Stalker | Nuntii R13 Reaver | Praesul R8 Warleader

Can you confirm that BoE legacy adds more dps for PvE as well? I measured a 8% captain dps increase with the CA legacy but didn't even try to count BoE as it seemed worse in comparison.
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/202240100001d8e95/signature.png]Tzitzithrigkos[/charsig]

cutting attack legacy works for the grave wound bleed too i think? not played properly for so long though, so correct me if i am wrong.

for sustainable DPS, i think it would therefore be better, especially in a solo siuation. it is also great if you get a warg hipsing on 1k or a runner. countless times have my maxed bleeds got me a kill where BoE would have done nothing.

BoE probably would out-dps it if you crit enough times, but you cant really rely on that. however, if you are leeching a raid or a small group, in a zerg situation, a BoE crit would certainly get you more renown due to your bleeds only ticking once or twice before the creep dies.

i have both on my solo weapon, it is absolutely necessary imo as they are both so situational
    Oryette

Quote Originally Posted by commanderjerkface View Post
    cutting attack legacy works for the grave wound bleed too i think? not played properly for so long though, so correct me if i am wrong.
    Indeed it does.
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/1321300000006cbd4/signature.png]Nomere[/charsig]

Posting again just to clarify on a few statements I made in my earlier post.

Indeed, in a perfect world, the bleeds from cutting attack and grave wound should out DPS even some of BoE's highest crits. The moors, however, is often a chaotic place where things rarely go according to plan. Creeps stack resistances and mitigations, meaning that your attacks might not always land, and may not do as much DPS as you're hoping. A smart creep will also know when and how to pot the bleeds.

Similarly, they have just as likely a chance to evade and parry a BoE attack. The difference is, this is straight DPS that they can't pot to relieve themselves of. Also, because of the Dagor Set, I'm usually chaining my attacks along the lines of Battle Shout, Devastating Blow, Shadow's Lament, -then- BoE, then DB and BoE again. As long as they all hit, this provides a good amount of damage. After that, while waiting for cooldowns, I'll throw in a cutting attack/grave wound and a few other skills.

That brings up another good point that I didn't touch on originally. The cooldown of Cutting Attack is much longer than BoE. It's not a big problem, but I generally find that I'm spamming BoE a lot more than Cutting Attack, so if you have to pick, I think you'd get far more use out of a BoE legacy than a Cutting Attack. Also don't forget, BoE has a chance to apply a moderate bleed as well, and one that generally isn't potted because of it's status effect.
    [b][color=forestgreen]~Landroval~[/color][/b]
    [b][size=1][color=green]Raigar - 100 Captain[/color] | [color=green]Raigorn - 100 Hunter[/color][/b]
    [i][color=green]Captains of the West - Leader[/color][/i]
    [color=red]Founder[/color] | [color=red]Lifetime Member[/color] | [color=red]Raider[/color] | [color=red]Roleplayer[/color][/size]

Quote Originally Posted by Despotis View Post
    Can you confirm that BoE legacy adds more dps for PvE as well? I measured a 8% captain dps increase with the CA legacy but didn't even try to count BoE as it seemed worse in comparison.
    This will vary by traits and armor. Both the Dagor and Perseverance sets allow for more BoE spammage.

Everyone might as well get it in their heads to use BoE more. It'll be even better come RoR with the improved improved BoE.
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/03202000000363f98/01003/signature.png]undefined[/charsig]
    Rechart, Warden
    [url="http://platemetaljacket.blogspot.com/"]Plate Metal Jacket[/url]

Quote Originally Posted by Krindus View Post

Indeed, in a perfect world, the bleeds from cutting attack and grave wound should out DPS even some of BoE's highest crits. The moors, however, is often a chaotic place where things rarely go according to plan. Creeps stack resistances and mitigations, meaning that your attacks might not always land, and may not do as much DPS as you're hoping. A smart creep will also know when and how to pot the bleeds.

Similarly, they have just as likely a chance to evade and parry a BoE attack. The difference is, this is straight DPS that they can't pot to relieve themselves of. Also, because of the Dagor Set, I'm usually chaining my attacks along the lines of Battle Shout, Devastating Blow, Shadow's Lament, -then- BoE, then DB and BoE again. As long as they all hit, this provides a good amount of damage. After that, while waiting for cooldowns, I'll throw in a cutting attack/grave wound and a few other skills.

That brings up another good point that I didn't touch on originally. The cooldown of Cutting Attack is much longer than BoE. It's not a big problem, but I generally find that I'm spamming BoE a lot more than Cutting Attack, so if you have to pick, I think you'd get far more use out of a BoE legacy than a Cutting Attack. Also don't forget, BoE has a chance to apply a moderate bleed as well, and one that generally isn't potted because of it's status effect.

There aren't really any moors captains on my server other than myself and a friend, so I never really fight any captains. However, when I was testing to see if the cutting attack slow could be potted (which it can't), I don't remember noticing the bleed disappearing. Also, I've never noticed anyone potting it against me, though it's possible they just don't know. Are you sure the cutting attack bleed and grave wounds bleed can be potted?

It doesn't really matter in any event. My opinion, as I stated earlier, is that you should have both legacies.

P.S. The BoE bleed is next to useless in its current form It's not "moderate" in any sense.
    Last edited by Theodoriph; Sep 14 2012 at 10:14 PM.

I don't think BoE legacy is worse, or CA is better, as I said previously, they are both prety situational. I just don't think CA and GW are as bad as you make out

a few points:

Quote Originally Posted by Krindus View Post

an even smarter one will not waste pots on unpottable bleeds!

The cooldown of Cutting Attack is much longer than BoE. It's not a big problem, but I generally find that I'm spamming BoE a lot more than Cutting Attack, so if you have to pick, I think you'd get far more use out of a BoE legacy than a Cutting Attack.
    cd is not an issue. it still allows the effects, as long as it is not not b/p/e'd, avoided, missed etc, to be active 100% of the time. keeping a slow and a bleed on an enemy, especially one that can HIPs/burrow/escape are the fundamental must-do things in lotro pvp. a decently played and geared cappy will land CA the majority of the time and have it in rotation every 15 seconds. imo it is far more important to keep cutting atack up for the slow and sustained DPS then get a few extra percentage of damage from BoE.

also bear in mind that cutting attack is an instant attack. you need to do at least one, and in most cases, 2 moves before you can even use BoE. in a zerg, you will most likely not get BoE off.

finally, as a 99% melee class, bleeds will net you a lot more renown from fleeing/burrowed/hipsed creeps than a BoE that can do nothing.

Also don't forget, BoE has a chance to apply a moderate bleed as well, and one that generally isn't potted because of it's status effect.
    if the BoE bleed crits in double figures against a half-decent creep, i would be amazed

I am well aware that the Op can, for some strange, unknown reason, only have one of these, but they are both so good imo, you are seriously gimping yourself with only one.
    Oryette