We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.
Page 103 of 103 FirstFirst ... 3 53 93 99 100 101 102 103
Results 2,551 to 2,573 of 2573
    alrighty here you go:

old oath renewed
    Pontin Level 130 Hobbit Burglar Leader of Second Breakfast Crickhollow Server.
    Alts: Legoan Elf Hunter, Belladonea Hobbit Minstrel, Unnari Dwarf Guardian, Jorunn Man Captain, Sallyberry Hobbit Warden. Maradoc Hobbit Hunter. Laurelin Server, Edwell Man Hunter.

Here's some Screenshots of Middle-Earth taken over the years, and screenshots of different Cosmetic outfits I've put together.

Quote Originally Posted by Pontin_Finnberry View Post
    alrighty here you go:

old oath renewed
    Time for a hint? Two of three are reunited

alrighty here you go:

old oath renewed
    Time for a hint? Two of three are reunited
    How about the Oath Of Eorl?
    This was in essence an alliance between Gondor and Rohan arranging for the two nations to come to each others aid at need.

This was renewed by Eomer and Aragorn (Elessar) after the War of the Ring.

Not sure about the "Two of three are reunited"...the hint gives me doubt.

Like I told you...What I said...Steal your face right off your head.

Quote Originally Posted by Boraxxe View Post
    How about the Oath Of Eorl?
    This was in essence an alliance between Gondor and Rohan arranging for the two nations to come to each others aid at need.

This was renewed by Eomer and Aragorn (Elessar) after the War of the Ring.

Not sure about the "Two of three are reunited"...the hint gives me doubt.
    You got it right! Its indeed the Oath of Eorl, and the two out of three is the Reunited kingdom which rohan is not a part of as the gift of Cirion was kept. if i remember right the lands long before it was even rohan were part of the kingdom under elendil's time? anyway from the appendix

'In Gondor the King Elessar now ruled, and in Arnor also. In all the lands of those realms of old he was king, save in Rohan only; for he renewed to Éomer the gift of Cirion, and Éomer took again the Oath of Eorl. Often he fulfilled it.'

the stick is yours
    Pontin Level 130 Hobbit Burglar Leader of Second Breakfast Crickhollow Server.
    Alts: Legoan Elf Hunter, Belladonea Hobbit Minstrel, Unnari Dwarf Guardian, Jorunn Man Captain, Sallyberry Hobbit Warden. Maradoc Hobbit Hunter. Laurelin Server, Edwell Man Hunter.

Here's some Screenshots of Middle-Earth taken over the years, and screenshots of different Cosmetic outfits I've put together.

Oops...sorry for the delay:

Here is the next 3-word Tolkien Trivia riddle.

Half-elven bloodline progenitors

Eärendil and Elwing, human father and elven mother of Elrond and his twin brother Elros. Elrond chose the path of the elves and became immortal like the rest of the elves. Elros chose the path of mankind, but was gifted a lifespan many times that of a normal man, hence becoming the first king of Numenor and the first of the Dunedain race.

I’m an alien, an illegal alien: I’m a Gondorian Captain in Rohan...

Quote Originally Posted by Erionor View Post
    Eärendil and Elwing, human father and elven mother of Elrond and his twin brother Elros. Elrond chose the path of the elves and became immortal like the rest of the elves. Elros chose the path of mankind, but was gifted a lifespan many times that of a normal man, hence becoming the first king of Numenor and the first of the Dunedain race.
    Yes, and no.

It is true that the progeny of Eärendil and Elwing are considered Peredhil (or half-elven), but those progeny were not the first to have that designation.
    What my riddle is searching for is the twain that generated the first Peredhil.

And to muddy the waters even further, the first was actually "quarter-elven", but still has the Peredhil tag.

So in an attempt to un-muddy the waters, I will pose it in slightly different language.

Which couple generated the first Peredhil?
    Last edited by Boraxxe; Apr 12 2021 at 12:13 AM. Reason: changed a period to a question mark

Is it Beren and Luthien?

Though their son Dior was technically quarter-elven because Luthien was half-elven, half-Maia, he was called Half-Elven anyway.
    Last edited by Samwise_Sotall; Apr 12 2021 at 04:39 PM.
    Rohirrim! To the King!
    Above all shadows rides the Sun and Stars for ever dwell:
    I will not say the Day is done, nor bid the Stars farewell.

Quote Originally Posted by Samwise_Sotall View Post
    Is it Beren and Luthien?

Though their son Dior was technically quarter-elven because Luthien was half-elven, half-Maia, he was called Half-Elven anyway.
    Yes, Beren and Luthien is the correct answer. They were the first joining of elves (or half-Maia) and men.
    I sort of spelled it out with my last hint, but I felt the need to explain to Erionor (formerly A-man) why his answer was not right...he was so close.

You have the stick!

Yes, Beren and Luthien is the correct answer. They were the first joining of elves (or half-Maia) and men.
    I sort of spelled it out with my last hint, but I felt the need to explain to Erionor (formerly A-man) why his answer was not right...he was so close.

You have the stick!
    Yes, I answered too quickly and then kicked myself when you replied... good riddle and well done Samwise

You have the stick!
    Yes, I answered too quickly and then kicked myself when you replied... good riddle and well done Samwise
    Ah, thank you both.

Next riddle:

Head of Staff
    Rohirrim! To the King!

Ah, thank you both.

Next riddle:

Head of Staff
    I know this is not the "right" answer, but your riddle sparked a thought in my head that led to this:

Gandalf

If you think for a moment about "Head of Staff", or "Chief of Staff", Gandalf fits the bill as a "servant" of Aragorn.
    He kept the ball rolling. Provided "cover" for Aragorn, when he needed it, advised others about how to deal with Aragorn, and generally focused attention where it needed to be focused for Aragorn to ascend to the throne of Gondor.

From Wikipedia:
    The title chief of staff (or head of staff) identifies the leader of a complex organization such as the armed forces, institution, or body of persons and it also may identify a principal staff officer (PSO), who is the coordinator of the supporting staff or a primary aide-de-camp to an important individual, such as a president, or a senior military officer, or leader of a large organization.

In general, a chief of staff provides a buffer between a chief executive and that executive's direct-reporting team. The chief of staff generally works behind the scenes to solve problems, mediate disputes, and deal with issues before they are brought to the chief executive. Often chiefs of staff act as a confidant and advisor to the chief executive, acting as a sounding board for ideas. Ultimately the actual duties depend on the position and the people involved.
    I think Gandalf certainly served as a Chief of Staff.
    And I also think that you are looking for something completely different. Like something stuck on the end of a stick.

So I don't expect to get the Stick. But I wanted to spell out one of the functions that Gandalf served even though we normally don't think of him in that way.

Have a fine day. I'm having one here; it's 75 degrees (F) here in the NW of the US and it's a beautiful day! The sun is shining. The birds are singing. And all is right with the world (except for the darned Covid stuff).

I know this is not the "right" answer, but your riddle sparked a thought in my head that led to this:

Gandalf

If you think for a moment about "Head of Staff", or "Chief of Staff", Gandalf fits the bill as a "servant" of Aragorn.
    He kept the ball rolling. Provided "cover" for Aragorn, when he needed it, advised others about how to deal with Aragorn, and generally focused attention where it needed to be focused for Aragorn to ascend to the throne of Gondor.

I think Gandalf certainly served as a Chief of Staff.
    And I also think that you are looking for something completely different. Like something stuck on the end of a stick.

So I don't expect to get the Stick. But I wanted to spell out one of the functions that Gandalf served even though we normally don't think of him in that way.

Have a fine day. I'm having one here; it's 75 degrees (F) here in the NW of the US and it's a beautiful day! The sun is shining. The birds are singing. And all is right with the world (except for the darned Covid stuff).
    You make a very good point. However, I'm looking for someone else.

Another clue to come if needed.
    Rohirrim! To the King!

Ah, thank you both.

Next riddle:

Head of Staff
    How about literally the head of Saruman's staff?

"He raised his hand, and spoke slowly in a clear cold voice. 'Saruman, your staff is broken.' There was a crack, and the staff split asunder in Saruman's hand, and the head of it fell down at Gandalf's feet. 'Go!' said Gandalf. With a cry Saruman fell back and crawled away."

How about literally the head of Saruman's staff?

"He raised his hand, and spoke slowly in a clear cold voice. 'Saruman, your staff is broken.' There was a crack, and the staff split asunder in Saruman's hand, and the head of it fell down at Gandalf's feet. 'Go!' said Gandalf. With a cry Saruman fell back and crawled away."
    Very close! However I am looking for a person, not an object.

Clue: leader of a council
    Last edited by Samwise_Sotall; Apr 20 2021 at 10:06 PM. Reason: added clue
    Rohirrim! To the King!

Very close! However I am looking for a person, not an object.

Clue: leader of a council
    I guess I was closer than I thought.

Between Erionor's guess and mine I guess the answer must be Saruman, the leader of the White Council (with Elrond and Galadriel...not sure if there were others).
    Galadriel wanted Gandalf to lead it, but Gandalf declined (didn't want to challenge his boss).

I'm curious, does anyone know who the other members (if any) may have been?

Ofc, you could be thinking of that other council...

I guess I was closer than I thought.

Between Erionor's guess and mine I guess the answer must be Saruman, the leader of the White Council (with Elrond and Galadriel...not sure if there were others).
    Galadriel wanted Gandalf to lead it, but Gandalf declined (didn't want to challenge his boss).

I'm curious, does anyone know who the other members (if any) may have been?

Ofc, you could be thinking of that other council...
    Yep, that's it.

And as for your question:

"The following individuals were clearly stated to have been members of the White Council:
    Saruman, the appointed leader of the Council, Gandalf, Galadriel, Elrond, and Círdan
    It should be noted, however, that "other lords of the Eldar" did join them."
    Tolkien Gateway article on the White Council

You have the Riddle-Stick!
    Rohirrim! To the King!

Yep, that's it.

And as for your question:

"The following individuals were clearly stated to have been members of the White Council:
    Saruman, the appointed leader of the Council, Gandalf, Galadriel, Elrond, and Círdan
    It should be noted, however, that "other lords of the Eldar" did join them."
    Tolkien Gateway article on the White Council

You have the Riddle-Stick!
    Ah, yes! Cirdan...I always forget about him. I think it's because we never actually get any face-time, or ear-time, or any kind of time with him in the text.
    We hear a few quotes of his, but I don't think we ever have any "contact" with him at all.
    Maybe we do. I await enlightenment.

I'm going to have to dig back into all the stuff that Christopher gave us. I have read most of it, but that was many years and many refreshments ago.

So, I have the stick...

Here we go:

cow dog cat

I'm reminded of the Song "There is an Inn, a Merry old Inn"

The ostler has a tipsy cat that plays a five string fiddle.

The cow jumped over the moon.

and I forget the part about the dog, something about it laughing or some such thing.
    Formerly from Elendilmir

A good plan violently executed now is better than a perfect plan next week.
    Gen. Patton

Quote Originally Posted by MourneBlade View Post
    I'm reminded of the Song "There is an Inn, a Merry old Inn"

The ostler has a tipsy cat that plays a five string fiddle.

The cow jumped over the moon.

and I forget the part about the dog, something about it laughing or some such thing.
    Yes, that's the one.

You have the riddle-stick!

Okay I'm better at guessing these things than I am at coming up with them. Someone else can have the stick.
    Formerly from Elendilmir

A good plan violently executed now is better than a perfect plan next week.
    Gen. Patton

Quote Originally Posted by MourneBlade View Post
    Okay I'm better at guessing these things than I am at coming up with them. Someone else can have the stick.
    Well then.

First one to post a riddle can claim the stick.
    New folks are welcome.
    Old folks are welcome.
    In fact, any folks are welcome.

If we don't get a new riddle by this time tomorrow...then I will post one.

Bo

Page 103 of 103 FirstFirst ... 3 53 93 99 100 101 102 103