We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.
Page 86 of 87 FirstFirst ... 36 76 82 83 84 85 86 87 LastLast
Results 2,126 to 2,150 of 2159
    Quote Originally Posted by TheArtilleryman View Post

Frozen metal bloom
    I thought that this was Aeglos as:

(1) Aeglos is the name of a flower, which would account for the word "bloom".

(2) The word itself means "snowthorn" (source: Unfinished Tales index), although the internet also gives the meanings "snow-point" and "icicle". Any of those words could account for the word "frozen".

(3) It's the name of a spear, which would presumably be made of metal, thus accounting for the word "metal".

Quote Originally Posted by Hensibert View Post
    Harder than stone
    Is it Mithril?

"Mithril! All folk desired it. It could be beaten like copper, and polished like glass; and the Dwarves could make of it a metal, light and yet harder than tempered steel. Its beauty was like to that of common silver, but the beauty of mithril did not tarnish or grow dim." -The Fellowship of the Ring, Book II, Chapter IV, A Journey in the Dark
    Pontin Level 120 Hobbit Burglar Leader of Second Breakfast Crickhollow Server.
    Alts: Legoan Elf Hunter, Belladonea Hobbit Minstrel, Unnari Dwarf Guardian, Jorunn Man Captain, Sallyberry Hobbit Warden. Maradoc Hobbit Hunter. Laurelin Server, Edwell Man Hunter.

Here's a guide to making ABC files and my Screenshots of Middle-Earth. Also can follow me on Twitter for Adventures in Middle Earth and more!

Quote Originally Posted by Pontin_Finnberry View Post
    Is it Mithril?

"Mithril! All folk desired it. It could be beaten like copper, and polished like glass; and the Dwarves could make of it a metal, light and yet harder than tempered steel. Its beauty was like to that of common silver, but the beauty of mithril did not tarnish or grow dim." -The Fellowship of the Ring, Book II, Chapter IV, A Journey in the Dark
    While Mithril is indeed harder than stone, it is not what I had in mind.

Hint 1: The words "harder than stone" are taken verbatim from the text I am referring to.

Hint 2: It's probably not what you would think.

Good guess though.

How about The Stone Troll song sung by sam?

But harder than stone is the flesh and bone
    Of a troll that sits in the hills alone.
    As well set your boot to the mountain's root,
    For the seat of a troll don't feel it.
    Peel it! Heal it!
    Old Troll laughed, when he heard Tom groan,
    And he knew his toes could feel it.

-The Fellowship of the Ring, Book 1, Chapter XII, Flight to the Ford
    Alts: Legoan Elf Hunter, Belladonea Hobbit Minstrel, Unnari Dwarf Guardian, Jorunn Man Captain, Sallyberry Hobbit Warden. Maradoc Hobbit Hunter. Laurelin Server, Edwell Man Hunter.

Here's a guide to making ABC files and my Screenshots of Middle-Earth. Also can follow me on Twitter for Adventures in Middle Earth and more!

How about The Stone Troll song sung by sam?

But harder than stone is the flesh and bone
    Of a troll that sits in the hills alone.
    As well set your boot to the mountain's root,
    For the seat of a troll don't feel it.
    Peel it! Heal it!
    Old Troll laughed, when he heard Tom groan,
    And he knew his toes could feel it.

-The Fellowship of the Ring, Book 1, Chapter XII, Flight to the Ford
    You are correct!

Your turn.

Ok This one might be a little rough, maybe not will see.

Uncle Sage Wool

Uncle Sage Wool
    Time for a Hint, the Middle word is an adjective, Last is cotton wool

Uncle Sage Wool
    I am stumped. I honestly can't think of too many uncles in Tolkien's works. Théoden's probably the most important one, and you could say that Húrin and Huor are Tuor and Túrin's uncles respectively. So my (completely random) guess is Théoden with his big fluffy/wooly beard before he meets Aragorn and company in Two Towers, because I can't think of much else.

Maybe I am overthinking this.

Ok This one might be a little rough, maybe not will see.

Uncle Sage Wool
    I am going out into left field on this probably...

What if "Uncle" is being used as in to "Cry Uncle" ?
    Then the sage would be for wise and the wool (cotton wool) could be for white as in the White Wizard and the scene could be Gandalf imploring Saruman to essentially surrender- Cry Uncle, admit defeat- and come down from his tower.

(No, I have not been partaking of any pipeweed to come up with that, as much as it may seem so )

...when in doubt...twirl...

Quote Originally Posted by Reaboj View Post
    I am going out into left field on this probably...

What if "Uncle" is being used as in to "Cry Uncle" ?
    Then the sage would be for wise and the wool (cotton wool) could be for white as in the White Wizard and the scene could be Gandalf imploring Saruman to essentially surrender- Cry Uncle, admit defeat- and come down from his tower.

(No, I have not been partaking of any pipeweed to come up with that, as much as it may seem so )
    I'm looking for one character.

you got one right, Sage = wise yes, but the rest nope. Hint: Uncle is someone else and Cotton wool (or simply just cotton) is where a name comes from.

I'm looking for one character.

you got one right, Sage = wise yes, but the rest nope. Hint: Uncle is someone else and Cotton wool (or simply just cotton) is where a name comes from.
    Would it be old farmer Tom Cotton?
    “...and he lived happily ever after, to the end of his days”

Would it be old farmer Tom Cotton?
    Nope your on the right track though and close, Hint: Uncle is a very famous character not in the lore but his name is used in our Middle-earth character. Edit: also Cotton is where a name possibly came from, its another word for cotton-wool.
    Last edited by Pontin_Finnberry; Aug 16 2019 at 04:44 PM.

Seems like this may be unfair to TheArtilleryman:

Hamfast "Gaffer" Gamgee
    ............................ missed a putt.........................At a Dead & Co. show on a Mexican beach............ another Dead & Co. show at the same beach a year later
    The real Boraxxe... wearing his "Get off my lawn!" face and his "I smoked my lawn" face, and yes, that's a banana, no, I'm not happy to see you.
    If it's not dangerous, it's not fun!
    Golfing Hobby yes....Golfing Hobby yes

Quote Originally Posted by Boraxxe View Post
    Seems like this may be unfair to TheArtilleryman:

Hamfast "Gaffer" Gamgee
    Gamgee is correct but the wrong gamgee as wise isn't in his name (now i gave it away)

Gamgee is correct but the wrong gamgee as wise isn't in his name (now i gave it away)
    OK, I'll let the A-man have it back.
    ............................ missed a putt.........................At a Dead & Co. show on a Mexican beach............ another Dead & Co. show at the same beach a year later
    The real Boraxxe... wearing his "Get off my lawn!" face and his "I smoked my lawn" face, and yes, that's a banana, no, I'm not happy to see you.

LOL you mean “uncle” Sam - sorry I’m not American

I don’t know why I missed the whole Gamgee thing to be honest - I knew that about the cotton wool but totally missed it! However my next guess would have been the Gaffer too, thinking he was someone’s uncle...

LOL you mean “uncle” Sam - sorry I’m not American

I don’t know why I missed the whole Gamgee thing to be honest - I knew that about the cotton wool but totally missed it! However my next guess would have been the Gaffer too, thinking he was someone’s uncle...
    Yes, was looking for full name, but I'll move it along since it is Sam.

Uncle = Uncle Sam (remove uncle)

Sage = Wise

wool = Gamgee

Samwise Gamgee.

your turn!

For anyone who is interested, Sam Gamgee was named after a Doctor Gamgee that the Tolkien’s knew in JRR’s childhood. He was known for inventing a kind of surgical dressing similar to cotton wool, so the family forevermore used the term “gamgee” to describe the substance. And the name stuck so much that he used it for the character/s we know so well.

Right, enough trivia in the trivia game

Next one:

Ruler, bird warriors

Ruler, bird warriors
    Thorondor, Lord of the Eagles.

I believe Thorandor translates as: eagle king.

Quote Originally Posted by Boraxxe View Post
    Thorondor, Lord of the Eagles.

I believe Thorandor translates as: eagle king.
    Great guess, but not the one.

Then, perhaps, his descendent, Gwahir the Windlord?

Then, perhaps, his descendent, Gwahir the Windlord?
    And when you tell me that's not it either, I have another guess

And when you tell me that's not it either, I have another guess
    Try the next guess

Try the next guess
    ROFL! OK let's look at this from the other side. Those who fought the birds, namely the Nazgul, and their ruler would be the Witch King (although he was slain on the battlefield by sword, not in the sky).

Sorry, also not correct.

Hint: actual birds ... not involved

Page 86 of 87 FirstFirst ... 36 76 82 83 84 85 86 87 LastLast