We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.
Page 61 of 61 FirstFirst ... 11 51 57 58 59 60 61
Results 1,501 to 1,523 of 1523
    Quote Originally Posted by Immerdar View Post
    I fear I've confused the whole thing now.

Think of people who don't know very much about history. They here the name Sparta - what's likely to be their first association?

Now bisect that.

(And if you've beared with me that far, think of the merely again. The fall of Numenor and the remaking of the world seem a bit momentous (you could also say: big) for this little word, don't they?)
    Trying to focus on this hint. If I knew nothing or little of history would the ancient warrior city-state come to mind or would the recent movie? Or something in between? This is where I am stumped

...when in doubt...twirl...

Quote Originally Posted by Reaboj View Post
    Trying to focus on this hint. If I knew nothing or little of history would the ancient warrior city-state come to mind or would the recent movie? Or something in between? This is where I am stumped
    I’ll try a guess. Most people who think of Sparta probably think of the last stand of the 300.

The most obvious last stand I can think of in Tolkien is the death of Boromir.

Boromir’s horn was cloven in two, or bisected.

Anywhere close?
    “...and he lived happily ever after, to the end of his days”

We might also be looking at an etymological (and topographical) riddle:

Rivendell means “split valley”

Sparta was in the Eurotas River Valley.

So the answer could “merely” be Rivendell.

Edit: I stumbled across this article whilst researching the names. Quite ironic really: http://hillsdalecollegian.com/2018/0...rta-rivendell/
    Last edited by TheArtilleryman; Nov 14 2018 at 07:50 AM.

By the way, apologies for making two guesses at once. I know that isn’t normally the done thing...

I'm sorry. May the riddle stick go to a worthier person.

What seemed like a really trivial association just seems to be a bad choice of words, and both my attempts to clear away some of the confusion made things worse.

I was simply looking for a number.
    S dzst djomrd pm zjr jpit pg pit ,rrzomh-

the answer was "150" ?!?

not taking the stick, give it to Boraxxe

Well, I was thinking of a specific context in which the number 150 isn't considered to be that high. But yes.

Well, I was thinking of a specific context in which the number 150 isn't considered to be that high. But yes.
    Ah, I think there’s been a bit of confusion: the answer to the riddle needs to be something from the works of Tolkien. Something from one of his most famous books e.g. LOTR, the Hobbit, the Silmarillion etc. That’s why everyone was clueless!

Don’t worry about it - I was watching this thread for a couple of weeks to get the idea before I picked it up

I'll throw one out here to keep us going:

ruler, reflector, refuser
    ...................... missed a putt...............At a Dead & Co. show on a Mexican beach
    The real Boraxxe... wearing his "Get off my lawn!" face and his "I smoked my lawn" face.
    If it's not dangerous, it's not fun!
    Golfing Hobby yes....Golfing Hobby yes

Quote Originally Posted by Boraxxe View Post
    I'll throw one out here to keep us going:

ruler, reflector, refuser
    Galadriel?

Ruler of Lothlorien
    Reflector = using the pool
    Refuser of the ring when offered it by Frodo

Quote Originally Posted by TheArtilleryman View Post
    Galadriel?

Ruler of Lothlorien
    Reflector = using the pool
    Refuser of the ring when offered it by Frodo
    That was quick...gratz! You are up my friend.
    ...................... missed a putt...............At a Dead & Co. show on a Mexican beach
    The real Boraxxe... wearing his "Get off my lawn!" face and his "I smoked my lawn" face.

Quote Originally Posted by Boraxxe View Post
    That was quick...gratz! You are up my friend.
    Haha! Right place, right time, that’s all...

OK, this should be easy, but you never know with these things :

Climb aboard ruin

Ah, I think there’s been a bit of confusion: the answer to the riddle needs to be something from the works of Tolkien. Something from one of his most famous books e.g. LOTR, the Hobbit, the Silmarillion etc.

Don’t worry about it - I was watching this thread for a couple of weeks to get the idea before I picked it up
    Oh, you don't even know the worst part about this. I did my reserach. (Well, let's say, I reread this thread, and it's two companions.) Then I went and tried to make a nice, simple reference to a line in the Silmarillion that always has been a favorite of mine.

Well, but all I came up with was a Sparta clue that bad nobody came even remotely close to the answer. That was the problem. (I'm bad. And still very sorry, but at least the thread his going again.)

Climb aboard ruin
    Did anybody try to climb aboard Alcarondas after it's destruction? [Silmarillion says no, the whole fleet was drowned, and it was a far stretch to begin with.]
    Which means, I'm clueless. Good. I'll meditate some time on it.

Haha! Right place, right time, that’s all...

OK, this should be easy, but you never know with these things :

Climb aboard ruin
    Can it be Arvedui climbing aboard the rescue ship sent by Cirdan, despite warnings, to his doom and the preface to end of Arnor?

Good guesses both, but not there yet. I’ll wait a bit longer before dropping a clue.

(I'm bad. And still very sorry, but at least the thread his going again.)
    Don’t apologise, it’s just a game! I would be interested to know what the Silmarillion line was that you were thinking of though ...

Don’t apologise, it’s just a game! I would be interested to know what the Silmarillion line was that you were thinking of though ...
    Yeah. Me too.

I want to know, too.

The thing is, that usually when you know the solution, it seems easy. But there might be one logical step which might seems very easy for the riddle maker, but almost impossible for others. That is because every person thinks in other way and has different associations. E.g. when the pupil in school will hear word one, he/she will think about about grade from a test. But lotr fans will think on the one ring. Completely different things. Therefore, Immerdar, please, don´t be discouraged if one doesn´t find a solution to your riddle quickly. Rather than correcting our thinking consider to give us more clues in future.

Climb aboard ruin
    If I take meaning of ruin as an event that results in destruction, I would said Pippin and Merry riding Treebeard in Isengard. Treebeard is sorf of tree, so one needs to climb it. Aboard is usually meant to get in traffic vehicle (at least in my eyes) and the two hobbits used the ent as traffic vehicle a few times.
    Ich bin kein Deutscher, sorry für Grammatik
    Eglish isn't my native language, sorry for mistakes

My best guess would be the oath of Fëanor - anybody who joined his oath, i.e. "climbed aboard his mission" was cursed and had to endure great sufferings in the aftermath of their crusade to middle earth which even extended to following generations.

"Their Oath shall drive them, and yet betray them, and ever snatch away the very treasures that they have sworn to pursue. To evil end shall all things turn that they begin well; and by treason of kin unto kin, and the fear of treason, shall this come to pass.[...]" (Quenta Silmarillion IX, Of the Flight of the Noldor")
    If it is intended to be something material, I would adjust my suggestion to be the White Ships of Alaqualondë. Almost everyone who participated in the kinslaying and boarded those ships afterwards sailed to his ruin.
    Rimeya (LM) Daefareth (HNT) Synne (RK) | Server Gwaihir

It's about Beleriand. Cross a distance of merely 150 leagues, and come from the heart of Doriath to the pits and broken rocks before the doors of hell.

But Morgoth, as has been told, returned to Angband, and built it anew, and above its doors he reared the reeking towers of Thangorodrim; and the gates of Morgoth were but one hundred and fifty leagues distant from the bridge of Menegroth; far and yet all to near. (The Silmarillion, Of the Sindar)

(There is some confusion about the exact distance in other places, the map was restructured several times and may or not be off, but I decided to go with this line since it's from one of the legal sources.)

---

I really like the Oath of Fëanor being involved, wish I'd thought of that. While climbing wasn't involved in the act itself, leaping was; and as events resulting in destruction go, this one has to be quite high on the list.

Okay, new idea:

In close proximity to Doriath once stood the hidden city of Gondolin. It was situated in a steep valley among tall rocks and bordered on the area of Ard-Galen which Morgoth destructed with massive fire storms (fire -> hell -> gate to hell). In Gondolin, or rather on the black wall Caragdûr (north of Gondolin), King Turgon forced Eol the Dark to leap to his death as punishment for treason. This resulted in his son Maeglin later giving up Gondolins location to the enemy. In the ensuing battle, possibly the most beautiful city of middle earth was completely destructed after fire dragons and balrogs had breached its northern gate (also gate to hell).
    Rimeya (LM) Daefareth (HNT) Synne (RK) | Server Gwaihir

It's about Beleriand. Cross a distance of merely 150 leagues, and come from the heart of Doriath to the pits and broken rocks before the doors of hell.
    Thanks for the clarification! Understanding the context makes everything make sense - and it is an interesting extract.

As for the guesses - thanks for all the complex and fascinating responses, but they are miles away I am afraid. The actual answer is much, much simpler (probably)

Climb aboard ruin

Clue: the riddle does not describe the answer, it is simply a play on words.
    Last edited by TheArtilleryman; Yesterday at 04:02 PM.

Thanks for the clarification! Understanding the context makes everything make sense - and it is an interesting extract.

As for the guesses - thanks for all the complex and fascinating responses, but they are miles away I am afraid. The actual answer is much, much simpler (probably)

Climb aboard ruin

Clue: the riddle does not describe the answer, it is simply a play on words.
    Going the simpler route and using the words: The struggle up Mt Doom (ruin) and Frodo being carried (climb aboard) by Sam?

Quote Originally Posted by Reaboj View Post
    Going the simpler route and using the words: The struggle up Mt Doom (ruin) and Frodo being carried (climb aboard) by Sam?
    You’re close enough! The answer was actually just “Mount Doom” (climb aboard = mount; ruin = doom).

Take the stick...

Page 61 of 61 FirstFirst ... 11 51 57 58 59 60 61