We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.
Page 50 of 50 FirstFirst ... 40 46 47 48 49 50
Results 1,226 to 1,248 of 1248
    Jumping in the game. May I ask if we are looking for a single answer or three answers?
    Proud member of Reflections of the Light on Gladden.

Quote Originally Posted by TigerOfFury View Post
    Jumping in the game. May I ask if we are looking for a single answer or three answers?
    For all of these 3-word Trivia riddles the answer can be any number of words.
    Only the initial riddle is restricted to 3 words.
    ....................... missed a putt. ...............At a Dead & Co. show on a Mexican beach
    The real Boraxxe... wearing his "Get off my lawn!" face and his "I smoked my lawn" face.
    This has to end. I do not play LOTRO because I want to gamble. I play LOTRO because I like the game.
    Buying keys is not playing the game.
    Golfing Hobby yes....Golfing Hobby yes

I’m not sure if I’m even thinking in the right direction, but I’m going to guess Gollum biting The Ring from Frodo’s hand. One (Ring), Six (Teeth), Nine (Fingers)

I’m not sure if I’m even thinking in the right direction, but I’m going to guess Gollum biting The Ring from Frodo’s hand. One (Ring), Six (Teeth), Nine (Fingers)
    Wow.
    You came up with a better answer than what I intended. I was thinking, One ring, 6 teeth, Nine (either fellows, or Nazgul). (Fingers fits better!)
    GratZ!

Your turn...
    Last edited by Boraxxe; Jul 19 2018 at 05:54 PM.
    ....................... missed a putt. ...............At a Dead & Co. show on a Mexican beach
    The real Boraxxe... wearing his "Get off my lawn!" face and his "I smoked my lawn" face.
    This has to end. I do not play LOTRO because I want to gamble. I play LOTRO because I like the game.

Sorry about the delay. The next riddle is:
    Permanent appearance event

I'm a bit confused by this one.
    I will restate the riddle so you can follow my thinking.

An event that permanently changes the appearance of something or someone.

One thing I can think of is the ownership transfer of The One Ring. Gollum bit Frodo's finger off and the Ring came with it.

That permanently changed Frodo's appearance.

I think that is probably wrong, but ya gotta start somewhere.

You are thinking along the right lines, but this is not quite the answer I am looking for. I can provide a hint if needed, but I’d like to wait a little longer.

One possible answer I can think of is 'tattoo'.

However this doesn't suit the Tolkien Trivia qualification, so it can't be right. Speaking for myself, I think I'm going to need that hint
    “If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went.”
    - Will Rogers

Saruman becoming many-colored and losing his staff, Gandalf becoming white? There are way too many possibilities.

Greetings, Polymachos
    Treufried, human Level 115 Lore Master, formerly from Maiar (DE), now on Belegaer
    Räuberhöhle auf Belegaer, Breelandsiedlung, Ochsbott, Lange Straße 5. Vorsicht, Fallen!
    Alexophor, human Level 115 Hunter, formerly a Nimrod, now on Landroval
    Awkward Animal Arena in Breeland Homesteads, 6 Long Street, Ersward (Landroval)

Sauron's inability to ever assume fair form after he was caught up in the destruction of Numenor?

Quote Originally Posted by Bauglin View Post
    Sauron's inability to ever assume fair form after he was caught up in the destruction of Numenor?
    While this was not the exact answer I was looking for, it is so similar that I am giving it to Bauglin. What I was seeking was the Destruction of the Two Trees, during which Morgoth took upon himself the tyrant form in which he would remain ever after.
    Quote Originally Posted by Chapter 8 of the Silmarillion
    Now Melkor came to Avathar and sought her out; and he put on again the form that he had worn as the tyrant of Utumno: a dark Lord, tall and terrible. In that form he remained ever after.
    Bauglin, befuddle us!

While this was not the exact answer I was looking for, it is so similar that I am giving it to Bauglin. What I was seeking was the Destruction of the Two Trees, during which Morgoth took upon himself the tyrant form in which he would remain ever after.

Bauglin, befuddle us!
    Augh! The answer you were looking for is too close to the "riddle" I had in mind... Oh, well

How about "Forgotten wish fulfilled"?

Quote Originally Posted by Bauglin View Post
    How about "Forgotten wish fulfilled"?
    It's been a week, so either this is a stumper, or everyone's on vacation, or the riddle is just that lame... On the assumption that it's the first (and to kick this thread back into action), here's a hint:

Lorien

Gimli receiving the hair of Galadriel, when Feanor had wanted it long ago?

That is a very astute answer.
    I found the following text on this site: https://scifi.stackexchange.com/ques...irs-to-gimli-i

As has already been answered, there is significance. Feanor asked for a single strand three different times and Galadriel refused him for his apparent (to her) dark intentions or mood. Frustrated, Feanor is inspired to make the Silmarils that will also capture the light of the trees of Valinor (as Galadriel's hair was poetically said to do). The Silmarils, in turn, cause pretty much all of the conflict read about in the Silmarillion.
    Fast forward a couple of ages to Gimli asking Galadriel for a single strand (as Feanor had done before). Before giving him three, Galadriel asks what he would do with it. "Treasure it, Lady,' he answered, 'in memory of your words to me at our first meeting. And if ever I return to the smithies of my home, it shall be set in imperishable crystal to be an heirloom to my house, and a pledge of good will between the Mountain and the Wood until the end of days." (Fellowship of the Ring, Farewell to Lorien).Feanor wanted the hair, but when denied, made jewels that he coveted far too greatly. It caused tragedy upon tragedy in Middle-Earth lasting for thousands of years. Actually, the last vestiges of the evil ripples caused by Feanor's oath regarding the Silmarils is undone with the destruction of the One Ring.
    Gimli also wishes to make it a jewel. However, in contrast, he will not covet it maliciously, but wishes it to be a symbol of good will between the peoples of Middle-Earth. Gimli, an otherwise unremarkable dwarf (from a historical standpoint) is surpassing the quality of the "greatest" of all elves. In a book filled with historical subtexts, this scene has one of the best and most important. It is showing that world history (along with many other things) has a chance at redemption.

Quote Originally Posted by Boraxxe View Post
    That is a very astute answer.
    I found the following text on this site: https://scifi.stackexchange.com/ques...irs-to-gimli-i
    I've read similar parables about Galadriel's gift to Gimli before, but I don't recall reading one as beautifully written as that. It really does show the depth of Tolkien's story telling. Well done for digging up that little jewel Boraxxe
    “If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went.”
    - Will Rogers

That's a pretty deep and amazing answer alright - but I'm just not that smart. I can't recall if I'd ever read the story of Galadriel and Feanor, but if I did, I certainly didn't make the connection with Gimli's request. I'm inclined to give it to you for the fact that you pointed out a very cool bit of lore that completely escaped my attention, but I'm going to wait a day. If nobody posts the answer I'm thinking of by, say, 9-ish on Tuesday morning (EDT), it'll be yours.

A second hint: Peter Jackson makes a bigger deal of the answer than the book does.

Galadriels refusal of taking the ring?

Aragorn seeing the Argonath “long have I desired to look upon the kings of old...”?

Or

The oath breakers fighting at Pelennor Fields to repay their betrayal?

Or

Sam getting married to the hobbit barmaid?
    “...and he lived happily ever after, to the end of his days”

Quote Originally Posted by Hephburz-2 View Post
    Galadriels refusal of taking the ring?
    Nope.

Also, now that I've re-read my hint with eyes that are actually awake, I realize it was pretty misleading. To clarify, in the book it was a thing that just happened (and for which someone was quite happy). In the movie, it was a deliberate thing. However, the movie's exposition and presentation was pretty low-key, so much so that if you hadn't read the book, its significance might have been lost.

Also also, "nope" to TheArtilleryMan's salvo of answers

Sorry for the salvo

What about Sam’s rope then? In the book, he forgot to pack any and wished for it all the way to Lothlorien, and then some randomly turned up in one of the elven boats. In the movie, it isn’t mentioned at all until Lady Galadriel gifts him with elven rope. Ironically in the movie, he is a bit disappointed with the gift!

Any closer?
    Last edited by TheArtilleryman; Yesterday at 12:56 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by TheArtilleryman View Post
    Sorry for the salvo

What about Sam’s rope then? In the book, he forgot to pack any and wished for it all the way to Lothlorien, and then some randomly turned up in one of the elven boats. In the movie, it isn’t mentioned at all until Lady Galadriel gifts him with elven rope. Ironically in the movie, he is a bit disappointed with the gift!

Any closer?
    Close as can be! You're up.

Nice one! I completely missed your Lorien clue the first time I guessed.

So... you’ll probably all laugh at how easy this is going to be, but...

“Riddler’s offer refused.”

Page 50 of 50 FirstFirst ... 40 46 47 48 49 50